HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   OT: Other Chicago Sports Thread VII: Rose tears ACL in final seconds of blowout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1123121)

IU Hawks fan 02-29-2012 08:48 PM

Other Chicago Sports Thread VII: Rose tears ACL in final seconds of blowout

You can tell it's hockey season when it takes from October til now to hit 1,000 :laugh:

Guess spinning off the Bears on their own didn't help, though.

So I don't get all the outrage in the media over Konerko's comments that the Sox season can be a success w/o getting to the playoffs. To me, if they can win 85 games with what they've got, that'll be pretty satisfying.

MurrayBannerman 02-29-2012 09:47 PM

I think the Sox have a worse chance than the Cubs this season. Albeit it's talking about a 1% chance vs a 2% chance.

No Fun Shogun 02-29-2012 09:52 PM

Honestly think that the Cubs might end up close to .500 this year.

Sox are gonna be atrocious, though.

Cullksinikers 02-29-2012 09:55 PM

Even though I'm a Cubs fan, and it pains me to say it, the good vibes will go away once we're a few months in. It'll take time, but we'll be back soon.

MurrayBannerman 02-29-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 45284793)

Morosi named them as one of his teams that will "definitely not win the World Series." The Cubs were not on this list.

I agree. Around 75-79 wins. Tops at 83.

MurrayBannerman 02-29-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 45285099)
Even though I'm a Cubs fan, and it pains me to say it, the good vibes will go away once we're a few months in. It'll take time, but we'll be back soon.

The trade deadline will be awaited all year.

IU Hawks fan 02-29-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 45284793)

If Dunn and Rios do anything remotely productive, the Sox will be around .500.

Sir Psycho T 03-01-2012 02:44 AM

Chicago baseball sucks, the Sox has fallen off the map since winning the Series and the Cups are well...................the Cubs.

madgoat33 03-01-2012 09:03 AM

Even if the sox finish the season with a worse record, we can already pencil them in for winning no fewer than 3 of the 6 games vs the cubs.

If Dunn and Rios don't completely suck and beckham remembers how to hit, the sox will finish with a better record than the Chubs.

coldsteelonice84 03-01-2012 09:12 AM

Tallest midget, who cares. Cubs fans are excited about the farm system fast tracking its way to the top of MLB.

xX Hot Fuss 03-01-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 45277695)
You can tell it's hockey season when it takes from October til now to hit 1,000 :laugh:

Guess spinning off the Bears on their own didn't help, though.

So I don't get all the outrage in the media over Konerko's comments that the Sox season can be a success w/o getting to the playoffs. To me, if they can win 85 games with what they've got, that'll be pretty satisfying.

I live Paulie's honesty. People hate when athletes give cookie cutter responses but then hate when the players are honest and thru don't like what they have to say.

Nothing wrong about what konerko said

MurrayBannerman 03-01-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 45302233)
Even if the sox finish the season with a worse record, we can already pencil them in for winning no fewer than 3 of the 6 games vs the cubs.

If Dunn and Rios don't completely suck and beckham remembers how to hit, the sox will finish with a better record than the Chubs.

I could care less. You guys always seem to put up a great record against National League teams but fail to actually put up any results against the teams you constantly fight with for the playoffs in July and August. That's some incredibly flawed success.

Also, that's not a guarantee. Dunn could definitely rebound, he developed a huge hole in his swing coming into Spring Training, if he decides to fix it he could put up something near his career average numbers. Don't expect much from Rios. The tools that made him a top prospect have slowly deteriorated basically culminating in a guy who can't discern the difference between a sinker on the inner half and a low and away breaking ball. Beckham basically has put himself as a league average 2nd baseman.

The difference between the Cubs and Sox at this point is the Sox are going to be bad for a very long time. Their star is 35 years old and their #1, top paid pitcher is a #3 on most staffs. Kenny Williams has to go, but I'm sure all of you know this already.

I'd like to see the Sox do well. Gives me more baseball to actually enjoy. Although, I will have fun seeing Albert launch bombs out of the Cell this season. Going to every Sox/Angels game.

madgoat33 03-01-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 45314019)
I could care less. You guys always seem to put up a great record against National League teams but fail to actually put up any results against the teams you constantly fight with for the playoffs in July and August. That's some incredibly flawed success.

Also, that's not a guarantee. Dunn could definitely rebound, he developed a huge hole in his swing coming into Spring Training, if he decides to fix it he could put up something near his career average numbers. Don't expect much from Rios. The tools that made him a top prospect have slowly deteriorated basically culminating in a guy who can't discern the difference between a sinker on the inner half and a low and away breaking ball. Beckham basically has put himself as a league average 2nd baseman.

The difference between the Cubs and Sox at this point is the Sox are going to be bad for a very long time. Their star is 35 years old and their #1, top paid pitcher is a #3 on most staffs. Kenny Williams has to go, but I'm sure all of you know this already.

I'd like to see the Sox do well. Gives me more baseball to actually enjoy. Although, I will have fun seeing Albert launch bombs out of the Cell this season. Going to every Sox/Angels game.

I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. I don't think the sox are in a good position, in fact, I think they are probably about as screwed as any team in baseball, but for the next season or two they should still be better than the cubs, so i can take a little solace in that. :cry:

TwistedWrister90 03-01-2012 01:43 PM

cubs>sox

MurrayBannerman 03-01-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 45314731)
I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. I don't think the sox are in a good position, in fact, I think they are probably about as screwed as any team in baseball, but for the next season or two they should still be better than the cubs, so i can take a little solace in that. :cry:

Eh, Soriano produces good offensive production, despite his overall negative defensive impact. Castro... is Castro. Garza is one of the best #2's who can definitely have a case made for him to be a #1.

The Sox don't have the pitching to deal with American League hitting. Their bullpen has gone to crap and like I said before they've stretched out the depth in their rotation. Where as the Cubs are in the worst division in baseball. I could definitely see the Sox around 71-74 wins and the Cubs at about 75-79.

No Fun Shogun 03-01-2012 11:47 PM

And now we're losing to Michigan at home.

Excuse me while I go find something to jump off of.

madgoat33 03-01-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 45360369)
And now we're losing to Michigan at home.

Excuse me while I go find something to jump off of.

Don't worry, weber is going to get fired and then they'll be able to get a competent coach(maybe).

It's actually kinda sad that such a big school can have such ****** athletics, though its not surprising when they can't even manage to get the top talent from IL.

MurrayBannerman 03-01-2012 11:56 PM

I still can't believe Michigan State lost. Great way to pump up Duke's strength of schedule, Izzo.

IU Hawks fan 03-02-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 45360977)
I still can't believe Michigan State lost.

Really?

Had already beaten #1 and 2 at home. No way number 5 was getting by.

Hoosiers are hitting their stride right when they need to.

MurrayBannerman 03-02-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 45367243)
Really?

Had already beaten #1 and 2 at home. No way number 5 was getting by.

Hoosiers are hitting their stride right when they need to.

There's a difference between Thad Matta and John Calipari in big games and Tom Izzo.

Not to mention, Ohio State isn't too good to begin with.

Cullksinikers 03-02-2012 10:21 AM

The Cubs year is 2014. No, it's not because it'll be the 100th year of Wrigley Field being around, but because three years for the prospects to develop, an extra playoff spot, plus a little more time for Epstein and Thoyer to settle in and spend money to get free agents.

DisgruntledHawkFan 03-02-2012 12:42 PM

I'm a cubs fan, but I'd put a twenty down on Dunn hitting 30ish HR's this year.

coldsteelonice84 03-02-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 45377341)
I'm a cubs fan, but I'd put a twenty down on Dunn hitting 30ish HR's this year.

Rob Deer did it plenty of times. Dunn should have no problem getting 30. He doesn't have anyone to challenge him for ABs and the season is a throw away for the team. Dunn will get his ABs.

IU Hawks fan 03-02-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 45370183)
There's a difference between Thad Matta and John Calipari in big games and Tom Izzo.

Exactly. That's not a big game to them. Wait for the tournament, he'll guide them back to the Final Four.

MurrayBannerman 03-02-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 45377829)
Exactly. That's not a big game to them. Wait for the tournament, he'll guide them back to the Final Four.

I could see that, they were going to clinch the Big 10 with a win though, I believe.

Oh yes. I always take Michigan State to go far. Just as long as they don't have to slide in with Kentucky or potentially Duke. Right now my F4 is KU, UNC (pains me to say that), Duke and MSU.