HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   OT: 2012 Redskins Screw Up The Offseason Thread (+QB, -1st Rounders, -$36 Million!) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1123189)

usiel 02-29-2012 09:43 PM

2012 Redskins Screw Up The Offseason Thread (+QB, -1st Rounders, -$36 Million!)

Yes it continues.

Quote:

February 20: Opening of period to designate franchise/transition players.

February 22-28: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

March 5, 4:00 PM: End of period to designate franchise/transition players.

March 13, 4:00 PM: Start of free agency, trades.

March 13, 4:00 PM: Latest possible date for start of restricted free agency signing period (actual starting date not clear). Teams must have tendered their restricted free agents by this date to retain a right of first refusal and a right to draft choice compensation. Other teams can offer contracts to other teams' restricted free agents as of this date.

March 13, 4:00 PM: Exclusive rights free agents must be offered a minimum salary contract by this time for teams to retain exclusive negotiating rights.

March 26-28: Annual league meeting.

April 1: Beginning of offseason workout program for teams with new head coaches.

April 16: Beginning of offseason workout program for other teams.

April 21: Likely end of restricted free agency period, teams can no longer offer other teams' restricted free agents contracts. This date might fall earlier depending on an agreement between the NFLPA and NFL. The CBA states this is the latest date for restricted free agency to end.

April 25: Last date for teams to match offers made to their restricted free agents by other teams.

April 26: NFL Draft, first round.

April 27: NFL Draft, second and third round.

April 28: NFL Draft, fourth through seventh round.
http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/2/20/...nd-other-dates

mrwarden 02-29-2012 09:46 PM

edited the title for accuracy

Capitlols 02-29-2012 09:52 PM

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-s...son-champs.png

usiel 02-29-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwarden (Post 45284301)

I approve of this title change due to being an aging guy and witnessing a real Redskins owner vs. a Pretender.

Cush 03-01-2012 12:05 AM

5 seasons w/ a winning record since their last Super Bowl (6 if you count the year they went 8-7-1)....I was a freshman in HS the year of SB 26......

Bang your head, Gus!

BobRouse 03-01-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwarden (Post 45284301)

You really think the Skinz will screw up?

I thought we had a good offseason last year and like what I'm hearing about this one. I think Shanny and Allen are going about things the right way personally.

If we had Cerrato still then I would agree with the pessimistic outlook.

LegendaryNumber5 03-01-2012 08:31 AM

Am i in the minority in thinking that swapping first rounders, the first round pick next year plus the second round pick this year and possibly next years 2nd is reasonable for RG3?

marcel snapshot 03-01-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cush (Post 45293991)
5 seasons w/ a winning record since their last Super Bowl (6 if you count the year they went 8-7-1)....I was a freshman in HS the year of SB 26......

Bang your head, Gus!

Heh. Whatever Gus' football IQ was (or his actual IQ for that matter) -- and the self-headbutt into a wall really raises doubts about how high it could have been -- he surely lost a few extra points after doing that.

Marshall 03-01-2012 08:52 AM

Not that I have any investment in the team until Snyder sells, but going against my usual cautious nature, I make the 1st in 12, 1st in 13, 3rd in 12, 4th in 12 deal for Griffin. Steep price, but it's the most important position on the field. The defense is reasonable.

I'd wince, but I'd do it.

Duke33 03-01-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 45300561)
You really think the Skinz will screw up?

I thought we had a good offseason last year and like what I'm hearing about this one. I think Shanny and Allen are going about things the right way personally.

If we had Cerrato still then I would agree with the pessimistic outlook.

Way too early to say who's doing what right. The offseason was average last season, any time your coach brings in Rex Grossman and then proclaims he (and Beck) is perfectly qualified to play in the Redskins system, that's not a good offseason. And we saw the results. A worse record than the previous year. Very limited progress, if any.

Also remember we're dealing with a coach that has one playoff win in the last 13 years. For all his accolades and praise he gets here, it's a fair question to ask then why hasn't he succeeded in so long? He had control of the personnel in Denver too.

There is no reason to be overly optimistic until the team starts showing positive results on the field. Under Snyder the Redskins have been a train wreck, and everyone knows that. The fact that they are in the middle of another interesting offseason does nothing for me.

BobRouse 03-01-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molseed (Post 45301973)
Way too early to say who's doing what right. The offseason was average last season, any time your coach brings in Rex Grossman and then proclaims he (and Beck) is perfectly qualified to play in the Redskins system, that's not a good offseason. And we saw the results. A worse record than the previous year. Very limited progress, if any.

Also remember we're dealing with a coach that has one playoff win in the last 13 years. For all his accolades and praise he gets here, it's a fair question to ask then why hasn't he succeeded in so long? He had control of the personnel in Denver too.

There is no reason to be overly optimistic until the team starts showing positive results on the field. Under Snyder the Redskins have been a train wreck, and everyone knows that. The fact that they are in the middle of another interesting offseason does nothing for me.

OK a couple things:

1) we were not going to compete last year and with the mess Shanny/Allen inhereted it was going to take multiple drafts to rebuild. We tried the quick fix with McNabb the previous year and it bombed. OFCOURSE he was going to stick by Rex and Beck. What was he supposed to say "We know our QBs suck". I believe, while trying to win last year, he was secretly hoping we'd kinda tank to grab up Luck. We need a YOUNG franchise QB in addition to other positions where we need to get younger. He has done a good job purging overpaid and lazy vets.

2) In the NFL its hard to win. That much is true. So few teams make the playoffs compared to the NHL. But remember...he didn't have a guy like Allen riding shotgun with him in Denver. Allen, while working under a more oppressive owner in Al Davis, turned the Raiders around with his decisions and then brought a championship to Tampa. Clearly he is respected and accomplished.

A rebuild takes time to do properly. Last year we had an excellent draft and are in position to have another one this year whether we trade up/down or stay at #6 in the 1st.

With the mess he inhereted it was unreasonable to expect a turn around in a couple years.

RandyHolt 03-01-2012 09:12 AM

The thread title is dumb, fix that shiat. I dont mind dumb if there was an attempt at creativity, but that is just a :facepalm: If that's an appropriate thread title, it overlooks the Skins actually have been the champs many times, unlike our beloved Caps. Not everyone here is a negative nancy and the thread names should respect that, right mods?

Last year the team finally showed a respectable offseason. While I split hairs about the QB's we lined up, there was a lot of good the Shans did. And if the rumblings must be true, we are going to attempt to address the QB situation, one way or another. I see no reason today to be a pessimist before the start of this years offseason moves.

I was at the headcrusher game, a mind boggling tie. I christened JKC stadium by knocking a big bottle of Jack off a tailgate table. Starting the second half, um, who is that QB.

Chokingdogs 03-01-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 45302525)
The thread title is dumb, fix that shiat. I dont mind dumb if there was an attempt at creativity, but that is just a :facepalm: If that's an appropriate thread title, it overlooks the Skins actually have been the champs many times, unlike our beloved Caps. Not everyone here is a negative nancy and the thread names should respect that, right mods?

Last year the team finally showed a respectable offseason. While I split hairs about the QB's we lined up, there was a lot of good the Shans did. And if the rumblings must be true, we are going to attempt to address the QB situation, one way or another. I see no reason today to be a pessimist before the start of this years offseason moves.

considering what's possible this offseason, the thread title is pretty spot on. only change, maybe, would be the addition of the word "potential" or "potentially".

they could pay a kings ransom in picks to move up for RG3, which could potentially be bad.

they could also go after manning, and god help the team if it's a typical snyderesque marquee free agent contract, and manning goes down in game three.

this offseason is so high risk / high reward, it's almost beyond description.

AlexBrovechkin8 03-01-2012 09:46 AM

I like the direction the team is headed. If Vinny the Idiot was still running the show I'd have zero faith in this team's ability to do anything right but I believe Allen and Shanahan have this under control. When was the last offseason we had more than our own allotted draft picks? When was the last time we went into FA with young, homegrown talent at multiple positions? Finally, when was the last time we were $40 million under the Salary Cap to address our issues? Bruce and the Shannys couldn't be any further from the abortion that was the Decade of Snyderatto and that should give all Skins fans hope.

Edit: I reserve the right to get violently ill if we trade 3 1st round picks for RGIII.

WetHog 03-01-2012 09:49 AM

The Saints took a huge risk signing Drew Brees off of serious shoulder surgery and the got a SB win out of it. The Giants took a huge risk trading a lot of picks to SD for the rights to Eli. They got 2 SB wins out of it.

I was inclined to see the Skins play it safe for 1 more offseason, but with RG3 and Peyton out there the time for the Skins to gamble is now before Uncle Vinny weasels his way back into the front office.

LegendaryNumber5 03-01-2012 09:56 AM

A lot of people have forgotten about Jarvis Jenkins... this kid will be a stud. I think he makes the defense a step or so better. Please get RG3!

QuadrupleDeke 03-01-2012 10:19 AM

The winner of this RG3 thing is gonna have to give up 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and a third. That's my prediction.

I know I would never trade that for a totally unproven player, but would any of you? 1st, 2nd, 3rd in 2012 plus 1st, 2nd in 2013?

Chimaera 03-01-2012 10:21 AM

I would give whatever for RG3 at this point. Might blow up, but might be a stud.

Go get a top WR or two in the offseason. If Hankerson's healthy, he could be a great 3-4 guy. Moss is an ok 2, and great slot guy. Get another lineman. A safety, pick up a linebacker, and I think this team is a lot better.

While they lack talent at some of the skill positions, they're not as far away as some might suggest. They do need QB, WR, S, LB, CB (probably in my mind, though servicable is the key word), line help, and that's probably it.

But, if you figure Barkley's the best next season, and in reality, they won't draft 1st even if they played Rex, you're still looking at going up like crazy to get him. I guess if you think Landry Jones (and I think he's ok, better than the TexAM kid this year) is the real deal, you could wait another season. However, if you don't, and you're not sold on any of the other guys starting now (and I don't think you can hope to deal to 20-25 and still get the guy you want) then you have to pay the price.

I would probably do something more along the lines of 1st (6 overall) 1st 13, 2nd 12, 3rd 13. Maybe even throw in say, Wilson or some other part that MIGHT have value. Much more than that, and I would be torn. Probably would go to 3 firsts if they're convinced he's the guy.

mrwarden 03-01-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 45302525)

I was at the headcrusher game, a mind boggling tie. I christened JKC stadium by knocking a big bottle of Jack off a tailgate table. Starting the second half, um, who is that QB.

Remember how last year everyone kept saying how great the off-season was and I kept saying how we had gotten worse and I was right?

This team has some of the worst management in the NFL. We have one playoff win in 13 years.

The thread title is a joke, and I'm sorry that you don't have a sense of humor about what a terrible franchise Snyder has turned the Skins into.

BobRouse 03-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwarden (Post 45308153)
Remember how last year everyone kept saying how great the off-season was and I kept saying how we had gotten worse and I was right?

This team has some of the worst management in the NFL. We have one playoff win in 13 years.

The thread title is a joke, and I'm sorry that you don't have a sense of humor about what a terrible franchise Snyder has turned the Skins into.

Warden,

Can you tell us how you REALLY feel about the skins and their brass??? :)

Lately I'm convinced that we are now living in an alternate universe...since I lost my venom and bitterness the universe has balanced that by transferring it onto you!

Now I can be accused of seeing things through "rose colored glasses" and you of being a "negative nancy"

Forces beyond our comprehension are at work here...

mrwarden 03-01-2012 11:43 AM

Dude I grew up going to every Skins home game and even in Texas watch every game. It's as if every time the Skins draft a decent player we're supposed to think management has finally figured it out. Guess what? You're SUPPOSED to draft good players with your top picks. Even the Lions do that. Every team does that, and that's not enough to actually pass anyone when your O-line is a joke, your QB is a joke, your wideouts are a joke, and everyone on your team is getting older.

BobRouse 03-01-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwarden (Post 45308663)
Dude I grew up going to every Skins home game and even in Texas watch every game. It's as if every time the Skins draft a decent player we're supposed to think management has finally figured it out. Guess what? You're SUPPOSED to draft good players with your top picks. Even the Lions do that. Every team does that, and that's not enough to actually pass anyone when your O-line is a joke, your QB is a joke, your wideouts are a joke, and everyone on your team is getting older.

My tale is much much sadder than yours.

I grew up in the Skinz heyday right when Gibbs took over. Their first year they were really good I DESPISED them! Why? I was a contrarian elementary aged kid who hated seeing the crossing gaurds handing out redskin cards.

I didn't like them (tho I did have a soft spot for Williams and his performance in 87 SB) all the way til after the disastrous Petibone season.

Over the next couple years I began following one debacle after another under Norv etc.

Sure they have sucked in the past 20 years at making the right decisions. But last year that changed. Its trending up. Have to have a bit more patience as it wasn't until recently that Danny took a hands off approach and the poisonous Cerrato has departed.

Francesa 03-01-2012 11:50 AM

Assuming the Redskins blow 3+ draft picks and draft RG3, could he succeed in a Kyle Shanahan offense? Would the Shanahans be willing to re-tool their offense to adapt to Griffin?

LegendaryNumber5 03-01-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 45308965)
Assuming the Redskins blow 3+ draft picks and draft RG3, could he succeed in a Kyle Shanahan offense? Would the Shanahans be willing to re-tool their offense to adapt to Griffin?

That is the million dollar question. The Redskins never really seem to be able to cater to their talent. Every coach in the last 15-20 years or so has had an idea and stuck with it regardless of personnel. With somebody as dynamic as RG3 I think they neeeeeed to swallow their pride and tailor the offense around him. Awesome Landsman avatar btw. Going through the series again myself... On the 3rd season.

Chimaera 03-01-2012 02:07 PM

Don't care for the question about what he can do in a Shannahan offense. I don't think they'll be here for more than a year or two more. Rookie QB = marginal season, probably at best. Even if they are here, they better figure how to use his weapons. really good deep ball, extending the play, roll out, motion, play action, let him run a bit, and most importantly, help him out with a solid run game.

So, while they might not get whacked, heat will be heavy unless RG3 plays like Newton.

But, here's the thing. If he's special, and I think he can be special, he improves the entire organization. This franchise hasn't had a really good one in a LONG while.

We'll see I guess.

I rather take a shot on a QB this season.

As for the club, I don't think they're worse than last year. I do think they're mediocre, but they weren't worse. The defense was miles better. The running game showed flashes of being a lot better. They actually scored a few points some weeks. That's all with Rex. Get a franchise QB, and the team could be a lot better.