HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Ilya Bryzgalov a Phoenix fans scouting report (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1123657)

phillyfanatic 03-01-2012 02:11 PM

Ilya Bryzgalov a Phoenix fans scouting report
 
Good day Coyotes fans. I was looking for a good scouting report of Bryzgalov's time in Phoenix, but I figured I would ask the fans who watched him play. Was he a great goalie in Phoenix? Good goalie? let in weal goals? Solid? Etc.

Thanks in advance - I am just interested in the information.

Mayo Taco Monday 03-01-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 45313345)
Good day Coyotes fan. I was looking for a good scouting report of Bryzgalov's time in Phoenix, but I figured I would ask the fans who watched him play. Was he a great goalie in Phoenix? Good goalie? let in weal goals? Solid? Etc.

Thanks in advance - I am just interested in the information.

Good goalie, great positioning (thanks to goalie coach sean burke). Always let in weak goals though.

XX 03-01-2012 02:19 PM

Weak goals, inconsistent effort, didn't gel with teammates. When he was on his game (and that was very much his decision) he was Vezina caliber. But there's a very good reason Maloney found it hard not to laugh at Bryzgalov's demands publicly and why we all thought the contract given to him by Philly was hilarious. He doesn't do well under pressure or scrutiny, and yanking him for Bob probably compounds that.

MIG 03-01-2012 02:23 PM

Very good most of the time, not very mobile, puck handling sketchy, conservative style (which I liked)

I'm sure the reason you are asking is because you are wondering "what happened?" Sean Burke and the Tippett system of defense, executed well by all the players on the ice, made Bryz look great. He can be that goaltender again, but perhaps Philly needs to change the way they play the game.

Blubba Jenkins 03-01-2012 02:23 PM

He was really good. The people who (ignorantly) state that he was a result of the system were probably the same people who said "WTF!!! Coyotes only won because of Bryz!!! They suck!!!" He won us games. He won us games that we sometimes had no reason being close in.

Did our system help him out? Sure. He was still forced to make some incredible saves- and he did.

He wasn't perfect, though. He would occasionally have brain farts at the beginning of the game. He wasn't good in the playoffs. He's really bad at handling the puck.

I don't know what happened to him. Too much pressure? Complacency with all of his guaranteed money? Misses Sean Burke as his goalie coach?

MP 03-01-2012 02:27 PM

Bryz was a much better goalie than he's shown in Philly. Positionally very sound, adequate in the shootout, generally good with rebounds. Dave Tippett preaches defense, though, and it seems clear now that part of Bryzgalov's success was a result of the defense in front of him. He was liable to give up softies short-side, especially in his first year here. And his playoff performance was a major disappointment, even when you consider the opponent. Even aside from the postseason, he seemed to have a problem staying sharp in big games. You weren't quite sure what you were going to get until he'd faced a few shots, and by then it could be too late.

In short, he was an impact player here, but in my opinion he was never going to earn the contract Paul Holmgren gave him.

rt 03-01-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 45313345)
Good day Coyotes fan. I was looking for a good scouting report of Bryzgalov's time in Phoenix, but I figured I would ask the fans who watched him play. Was he a great goalie in Phoenix? Good goalie? let in weal goals? Solid? Etc.

Thanks in advance - I am just interested in the information.

You know you've spent too much time in the BOH thread when you find yourself getting offended by that honest typo.

Rabbit 03-01-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 45314651)
You know you've spent too much time in the BOH thread when you find yourself getting offended by that honest typo.

:laugh: you crack me up, rt.

hbk 03-01-2012 02:49 PM

Bryz was very good. I'm shocked that he was able to be replaced to be honest.

Bryz was very solid in regular season. Seemed to always be in position for the first stop. Was never really required to make spectacular bail out saves on a consistent basis during his time here. Would allow a weak goal every now and then but had the ability to absolutely shut down the opposition when required.

Playoff time was a different story. Routine weak goals at inopportune times. Worst player on the team during last years playoffs. Beyond horrific performance.

A lot of locker room issues have surfaced since he was dealt. It appears he frequently blamed goals on his defense. Aucoin and Morris have been very public about this. Earlier on when asked about Bryz this season you could see the players rolling their eyes. It seems he wore out his welcome.

Guest 03-01-2012 02:55 PM

You could always tell what kind of game Bryz was going to have by the first 5 minutes of play. He was either tracking the puck well and moved appropriately or he was completely off and would be letting them by with frequency.

I know I had the minority opinion in this, but in November 2010 he suffered a concussion against the New Jersey Devils and he was never the same player again. He rebounded nicely last March I think it was, but other than that he was not the same player as years past. I think I was the only one that questioned whether he might have been playing through PCS.

I always felt much more comfortable with him in the shootout than I did with Labarbera. Let it be noted that players had issues with the things he would say at times. Early on his defense like Ballard (before he was traded) and later on guys like Morris, Aucoin, and Whitney were all on the record with comments like "Did he really just say that?" Nevertheless the team did always play hard for him when he was starting.

I can't say I am surprised by his play in Philly. In general I saw Philly as a bit of a question mark because they had such a huge turnover of players. Then they lose Pronger for the season on top of it. I think the Flyers will be a better team overall next season than they are this year as Bryz might settle down a bit and the team will likely gel.

phillyfanatic 03-01-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Falcon (Post 45313909)
Very good most of the time, not very mobile, puck handling sketchy, conservative style (which I liked)

I'm sure the reason you are asking is because you are wondering "what happened?" Sean Burke and the Tippett system of defense, executed well by all the players on the ice, made Bryz look great. He can be that goaltender again, but perhaps Philly needs to change the way they play the game.

First off - thanks for the information everyone. To answer your question, no, I am coming here to see if my analysis is correct (I figured Coyote fanS would know more than any Flyer fan about Bryzgalov). Basically, In Philly they are saying he sucks. Period. End of story. To me, he had two very bad months (his first month in Philly and the month HBO was following him around). Basically, IMO, he is a headcase. He is also prone to bad goals early, but his positioning is good, he makes himself big in the net and is capable of Vezina type games (unbeatable at times)

I agree the contract is laugable at 9 years 51 million. However, if you forget the "years", is Bryz worth 5.5 million per year? Curious.

Sinurgy 03-01-2012 02:58 PM

Bryz was a good goalie in a great system. He's also a bit fragile mentally but was protected here. When you **** up in a small market like Phoenix there is not much scrutiny but in a place like Philly it's just the opposite. When pressure mounts, Bryz seems to be a bit of a wilting flower which is why I believe he was always so horrible in the playoffs. I hope he can turn it around, as others have said when he's on his game (almost always mental with him) he's definitely Vezina caliber!

Gwyddbwyll 03-01-2012 04:11 PM

Still one of the best 3 goalies the organisation has had. Arguably Burke, Khabibulin and Bryzgalov are all very close statistically but if he'd stayed another year, it would have been indisputably Bryz.

knowsthegame 03-01-2012 04:21 PM

I feel bad for Bryz. Overall, he was an excellent goalie here. All goalies let in the odd softie. He sees himself as a comedian of sorts and ends up saying goofy things.
I think he is having a difficult time adjusting to the Philly hockey market and the team tends to play run and gun like the Leafs - and how hard is it to have success as a Leaf goalie?

phillyfanatic 03-01-2012 04:57 PM

Just thought I would mention this - in case you were interested in Bryz since he left. I watch all Flyer games, haven't missed one. Bryz had two terrible months. The first month (joining a new team, new system, etc) and the month HBO was following him (which clearly impacted him). Personallly, other than a game here and there, I think he has been good for months now. He is not our biggest problem.

Month GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
October 9 4 4 1 3.16 .880 1 (First month with new team)
November 7 4 1 1 2.52 .918 0
December 10 6 3 1 3.20 .878 0 (HBO filming)
January 8 4 2 2 2.67 .912 0
February 10 4 3 1 2.28 .909 1

TheLegend 03-01-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 45321805)
Just thought I would mention this - in case you were interested in Bryz since he left. I watch all Flyer games, haven't missed one. Bryz had two terrible months. The first month (joining a new team, new system, etc) and the month HBO was following him (which clearly impacted him). Personallly, other than a game here and there, I think he has been good for months now. He is not our biggest problem.

Month GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
October 9 4 4 1 3.16 .880 1 (First month with new team)
November 7 4 1 1 2.52 .918 0
December 10 6 3 1 3.20 .878 0 (HBO filming)
January 8 4 2 2 2.67 .912 0
February 10 4 3 1 2.28 .909 1

I think you're on to it....

With Bryz..... its all about his frame of mind. When he's focused on his game there isn't another goalie in the league who's better, IMO.

But the moment he gets off that mental edge he gets sloppy. First time he lets a soft goal in he's lost for a while. Sometimes he can fight his way back as the game goes on, but it's becomes a matter of him letting the mistake go... if he ever does..

Also there's no doubt the ownership situation in PHX ended up affecting his performance in the playoffs last year. Especially when the false story about the team moving as soon as they were eliminated dropped the afternoon of game #1 against the Wings. The Philly media is nothing like what he had here in Phoenix and that was also a distraction.

kihekah19 03-01-2012 05:31 PM

Sean Burke Jones
 
Wassthe deal wiff Bryz?

Why thass simple..... Bryz has got a Sean Burke jones.


Wassa Sean Burke jones?

A Sean Burke jones is when you miss Sean Burke so much.... you play like a junky!



Sorry man, but I can't agree... Bryz has (for the most part) looked like a mess this season. He's capable and was well positioned before he got here, but it's that Sean Burke cool that the man craves.

kihekah19 03-01-2012 05:33 PM

Or maybe he's just trying to quit chewing Copenhagen.... it's a *****!

XX 03-01-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 45321805)
He is not our biggest problem.

Are you sure? A $51 million goalie that can't handle cameras or pressure playing in Philly isn't a problem? I'm glad Maloney is both too poor and too smart to piss away that sort of money. We all know what he is capable of at the high end but he has to be coddled to get there.

hbk 03-01-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 45315857)
First off - thanks for the information everyone. To answer your question, no, I am coming here to see if my analysis is correct (I figured Coyote fanS would know more than any Flyer fan about Bryzgalov). Basically, In Philly they are saying he sucks. Period. End of story. To me, he had two very bad months (his first month in Philly and the month HBO was following him around). Basically, IMO, he is a headcase. He is also prone to bad goals early, but his positioning is good, he makes himself big in the net and is capable of Vezina type games (unbeatable at times)

I agree the contract is laugable at 9 years 51 million. However, if you forget the "years", is Bryz worth 5.5 million per year? Curious.

Maloney likely would have re-signed Bryz at a maximum of $5.5 Million per for a max of 5 years. Dare I say it but I think Philli is paying double this season than what Phoenix would have been prepared to pay. Without Philli, I don't believe there is another team in the league that would have come close to that sort of offer for Bryz.

Hindsight being 20/20 Coyote fans are thankful to the Flyers. I feel bad for Holmgram though. He made a potentially career ending decision based on signing Bryz. Looking forward to our extra 3rd rounder right now.

Redcoyote 03-01-2012 06:26 PM

Bryz was one of the best coyotes on the ice when he was here and he gave this team a fighting chance for two years before tippett came along.

its as others have said hes a headcase who cant handle the pressure of the philly media and the expectations that come with such a huge contract

kihekah19 03-01-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcoyote (Post 45325657)
Bryz was one of the best coyotes on the ice when he was here and he gave this team a fighting chance for two years before tippett came along.

its as others have said hes a headcase who cant handle the pressure of the philly media and the expectations that come with such a huge contract


Don't you think he was MUCH more consistant post Fuhr though?

Redcoyote 03-01-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihekah19 (Post 45326259)
Don't you think he was MUCH more consistant post Fuhr though?

Yes I think burke made an immediate impact

RemoAZ 03-01-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins (Post 45313957)
He was really good. The people who (ignorantly) state that he was a result of the system were probably the same people who said "WTF!!! Coyotes only won because of Bryz!!! They suck!!!" He won us games. He won us games that we sometimes had no reason being close in.

Did our system help him out? Sure. He was still forced to make some incredible saves- and he did.

He wasn't perfect, though. He would occasionally have brain farts at the beginning of the game. He wasn't good in the playoffs. He's really bad at handling the puck.

I don't know what happened to him. Too much pressure? Complacency with all of his guaranteed money? Misses Sean Burke as his goalie coach?

I think this is right on. Only thing I'll add is that every once in a while he'd give up a bad goal right at the start of the game and you knew he was done. It's like he totally wasn't there mentally and before you could say "is it Russian or rubbish" he'd let in a few more and get pulled. He didn't have as many of those games his last year here until the playoffs. He was out of town before that series even started.

amjay13 03-01-2012 11:27 PM

Bryz was outstanding in Phoenix. His issues in Philly are 100% mental. A bad game in Phoenix, no big deal. A bad game in Philly, he's a bust. I suspect that next year he gets settled in and excels in Philadelphia. He is too talented to continue to slump.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.