HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   The addicting nature of the greatest sport on earth (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1123719)

drivesrf 03-01-2012 02:31 PM

The addicting nature of the greatest sport on earth
 
So what do you all do when you just can't get on the ice as much as you'd like? I started playing on the ice not that long ago, and found that ICE (not so much roller) hockey truly is as addicting as a drug! I can only get on the ice about once a week and it's, by far, not enough, and roller just doesn't cut it! And the next best thing is to watch games NHL, AHL, ECHL, even youtube. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this!

vapor11 03-01-2012 02:39 PM

NHL 12 xbox

jwitz04 03-01-2012 02:44 PM

You aren't the only one I assure you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 45317887)
NHL 12 xbox

this. and using a stickhandling ball/shooting pucks in the basement.

jorbjorb 03-01-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 45317887)
NHL 12 xbox

samez

hockeymass 03-01-2012 04:21 PM

It is absolutely addictive. I have started watching as much hockey as I can. NHL, AHL, OHL, WHL, hell, I watched a QMJHL rerun game the other day. When I was in high school, I used to go down in the basement and shoot pucks at a mattress for hours at a time.

hockeyisforeveryone 03-01-2012 04:35 PM

It is a high exercising and working out so hard. But with ice hockey it doesn't seem like work it's so fun! Your sleep, mood, appetite, (love life;)),everything improves. Whether playing pond hockey or in a league, even open skating, I feel such a joy and freedom being on that ice. I get a serious kick out of challenging other players and creating with my friends. I've talked to teammates who can't sleep at night after playing their energy is so heightened, physically and mentally.

Watching NHL/high level puck is part of the full experience. After skating your guts out, sore and wrecked, you can kick back and just feel exactly what the pros are doing. Backhand and forehand. It enhances our own game to share it with the most talented players in the word. I am much more a fan because I do play.

drivesrf 03-01-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone (Post 45323529)
It is a high exercising and working out so hard. But with ice hockey it doesn't seem like work it's so fun! Your sleep, mood, appetite, (love life;)),everything improves. Whether playing pond hockey or in a league, even open skating, I feel such a joy and freedom being on that ice. I get a serious kick out of challenging other players and creating with my friends. I've talked to teammates who can't sleep at night after playing their energy is so heightened, physically and mentally.

Watching NHL/high level puck is part of the full experience. After skating your guts out, sore and wrecked, you can kick back and just feel exactly what the pros are doing. Backhand and forehand. It enhances our own game to share it with the most talented players in the word. I am much more a fan because I do play.


You definetely hit the nail on the head with that one! Anytime I watch a game on TV or especially live, there is nothing I want to do more than get on the ice!

ReverendAlBundy 03-01-2012 07:00 PM

Hockey is everything. Spend all my free time watching college hockey reruns or any other hockey I can find. I read hfboards on my phone almost all day, I follow just about every hockey related page on twitter and this is all in between playing about 4-5 times a week. There's something about it, man...

Wildturkey12 03-01-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwitz04 (Post 45318143)



this. and using a stickhandling ball/shooting pucks in the basement.

I do the same thing in my garage. Crack a few beers, maybe light a cigar and get the sweedish speedball out.

ArrogantOwl 03-01-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 45333221)
I do the same thing in my garage. Crack a few beers, maybe light a cigar and get the sweedish speedball out.

I've played with my Swedish ball so much I beat it into something that isn't perfectly round anymore...

Wildturkey12 03-01-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl (Post 45338009)
I've played with my Swedish ball so much I beat it into something that isn't perfectly round anymore...

Ya they are awesome. If I dont pay attention my dog will grab it and hide it somewhere.

ArrogantOwl 03-01-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 45339719)
Ya they are awesome. If I dont pay attention my dog will grab it and hide it somewhere.

I think I have it slightly worse, I have a younger brother that hates the racket creates, especially wood-on-wood, and will hide it intentionally.

izzy3 03-02-2012 04:12 AM

I do play the occasional roller as a "supplement drug" if I can't get my dose of ice. It is slower, but you can get a nice flow going if you have the chance to play with good players.

I also changed up my workout routine in the gym. Went from a normal "bodybuilder workout" to something geared more towards hockey.

Oh, and I am one of those idiots obsessing about their equipment, so I am browsing hockey sites for new stuff to buy, even though I do not need them. :shakehead Lately I was able to reduce this somewhat, still browsing, but don't spend that much any more (maybe I found the stuff which fits me well?).

Wildturkey12 03-02-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy3 (Post 45365531)
Oh, and I am one of those idiots obsessing about their equipment, so I am browsing hockey sites for new stuff to buy, even though I do not need them. :shakehead Lately I was able to reduce this somewhat, still browsing, but don't spend that much any more (maybe I found the stuff which fits me well?).

I always tell myself I dont need anything else until something cool and new comes out. I think a new helmet is next.

SCritical 03-02-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy3 (Post 45365531)
I do play the occasional roller as a "supplement drug" if I can't get my dose of ice. It is slower, but you can get a nice flow going if you have the chance to play with good players.

I also changed up my workout routine in the gym. Went from a normal "bodybuilder workout" to something geared more towards hockey.

Oh, and I am one of those idiots obsessing about their equipment, so I am browsing hockey sites for new stuff to buy, even though I do not need them. :shakehead Lately I was able to reduce this somewhat, still browsing, but don't spend that much any more (maybe I found the stuff which fits me well?).

Lawl me too! I’m always on ebay searching for cheap jerseys and matching socks…I’m that jerk that shows up to shinny in head to toe Vancouver gear :rolleyes:

The fact that you can’t just play whenever you want adds to its allure. Like if I want to play soccer I can mess around with a ball in the yard even in the middle of the night. But I can’t smash puck around the house. I do have a ‘shooting pad’ that I made out of some tile in my room that I practice stick handling on though.

michaelshu 03-03-2012 12:02 AM

You're not the only one, man.. I was forced to quit hockey back in 2003 because nobody plays it anymore in my country. Believe it or not, for 8 years, whenever I had a dream about hockey, I always wake up crying. Finally this year I get to play again! Woohoo!

For your question, I stream NHL highlights, workout, cardio, and practice stickhandling whenever possible.

Kulluminati 03-03-2012 01:15 PM

Yea I find my self fiending for some ice time during the school year ever since I left for university. I play in intramurals but thats only about 7 games spread out over a 4-5 month term. I usually get my fixes from watching Leafs games and playing NHL12 for the most part

Justin65 03-03-2012 01:23 PM

When not playing I usually browse hockey websites and used sports stores for equipment. I'll also play NHL12 or watch Hurricanes games when they're on. I'm also lucky in that people are always trying to give me tickets to Charlotte Checkers games, but I always hate going into the city and dealing with traffic.

izzy3 03-05-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 45378129)
I always tell myself I dont need anything else until something cool and new comes out. I think a new helmet is next.

:)

My name's Izzy and I am an addict...:
I was talking myself out of it the last few weeks, but as my birthday was coming closer I knew it is going to happen. I picked up the phone and I called my dealer: Do you guys have the Stealth RS with grip, RH shot, Hall curve? Sure bud, you pay as usual with paypal. Yeah, as usual... :D

So I have a spankin' new stick, and I have a few more which I did not use so far. :shakehead

Lonny Bohonos 03-05-2012 04:47 AM

Sadly I can't get enough ice time as I live in the middle east. Usually one or sometimes two games a week.


Having said that I have my first tournament next weekend since I was in minor hockey maybe 20 years ago!

I sometimes roller blade and am wanting to get a few skills pads to practice in the summer time when it's like 50C.

Danglous 03-05-2012 08:05 PM

There's ice hockey in the middle east?

ArrogantOwl 03-05-2012 08:42 PM

New low for me, spending hours watching helmet-cam videos of people playing hockey.

drivesrf 03-11-2012 02:54 PM

Big issue for me. I want to play in a league, but I wake up at 3am for work, therefore, 10,11 pm games are too late so there are only certain days i can play! The leagues around me can have games any night of the week so I'd like to find a league that has a steady day each week. Pick up is fun, but I want the comraderie of playing with the same guys every week. Plus I know the NHL isn't even a thought but wearing the uniforms and having the refs can let a guy dream, ya know?!

Wildturkey12 03-11-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivesrf (Post 45900291)
Big issue for me. I want to play in a league, but I wake up at 3am for work, therefore, 10,11 pm games are too late so there are only certain days i can play! The leagues around me can have games any night of the week so I'd like to find a league that has a steady day each week. Pick up is fun, but I want the comraderie of playing with the same guys every week. Plus I know the NHL isn't even a thought but wearing the uniforms and having the refs can let a guy dream, ya know?!

I agree, pick up is fun but playing with a team is still the best. Around here we have a lot of rinks that run their adult leagues all day on Sundays. Its too bad you cant find something like that.

drivesrf 03-11-2012 05:24 PM

Yeah I wish, I have 3 rinks within 10 min of me and each of them are Sunday-Thursday or Friday. I would love to find a Thursday or friday night C or D league. So if anyone in central NJ knows of any please let me know


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.