HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WC: General Talk '12 — U.S.A. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1123933)

AmericanDream 03-01-2012 06:49 PM

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.
 
well it is getting near the time where we USA Hockey fans start to get ready for the awesome tournament that every American NHLer dreams about playing...the World Championships.

and though I hope you can sense my sarcasm, it really is time for us to discuss a ton of names that will likely turn down invites to play in this tournament!

Am I the only one that said thank you when Jack Johnson got traded to the Blue Jackets? At least we know he will play as usual!!!

I will say this seriously though, I think a lot of young Americans making an impact in the league this year could really benefit us. we seem to have to rely on either youngsters or guys that are on the bubble of NHL/AHL looking for a chance to shine.

What we could possibly have on our defense could be pretty cool :

Cam Fowler
Jake Gardiner
Jeff Petry
Jamie McBain
Justin Faulk
John Moore

is right off the top of my head as young solid dmen that would love the experience this tournament could offer. I would take all of them for this team as they lack size and grit, they make up for it in skill, mobility, youth, and puck moving skills. Plus the bigger ice surface makes these kids more desirable then ever.

Add Jack Mother ****ing Johnson and James Wisniewski and you bring more offense and some grit. this team usually needs all the offense it can get from the point as we lack forwards of skill most every year....

goalies - well, Al Montoya looks to be a lock, and maybe a guy like Ty Conklin who wants to stick in the league if Detroit doesnt need him playoff time. If Ottawa doesnt make it, that could also lead to Anderson and Bishop, though Bishop would be the likely guy to accept.

forwards - way too early to tell, but thats the point of the thread...lets get some names going for those who care...

AmericanDream 03-01-2012 06:55 PM

though there still is a ton of teams in the playoff hunt, and it is very hard to figure out rosters off of teams that could make the playoffs, I suggest just focusing on teams that are like 6 points or more out of a playoff spot. anything can happen, but teams more then just a few points out are going to have a very hard climb back in this time of year.

Mathradio 03-03-2012 11:13 PM

Cole, Pacioretty? Would you invite either of them?

usahockey22flyers 03-04-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45471265)
Cole, Pacioretty? Would you invite either of them?

I'd invite both!

Kyle Okposo as well

Mathradio 03-05-2012 10:56 AM

Here's who I would send invites to:

Quick if the Kings don't make the playoffs
Kessel if the Leafs don't make the playoffs either
Umberger has no excuse this year around

PaulieVegas 03-05-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45542871)
Here's who I would send invites to:

Quick if the Kings don't make the playoffs
Kessel if the Leafs don't make the playoffs either
Umberger has no excuse this year around

Is it a foregone conclusion Ryan Miller wouldn't accept an invite? It'd be great if we could get a top-notch goalie. Quick might accept, who knows. So might Anderson, he did a few years ago. Didn't they both back out last year because their wives were expecting? That's a good enough reason. In the end though we'll probably end up with Montoya, which I can live with. Maybe Alex Stalock if (when) my Sharks don't make the playoffs.

Umberger will find an excuse, and if he can't he'll invent one. I'd throw in the towel on that guy.

Erik Johnson on D? Or do we assume he won't accept. If Winnipeg doesn't make it then Buff and Bogosian become possibilities, although I doubt Bogosian accepts because he's been injury-plagued lately. Other possibilities if we don't just want to go with young kids- Tim Gleason, Tom Gilbert, and (gasp) Mike Komisarek. More likely possibilities might be Alec Martinez and Matt Greene of the Kings, Chris Butler from the Flames, Dylan Reese of the Islanders, Brian Lee of the Lightning, or Mike Lundin of the Wild.

Other offensive possibilities- Matt Cullen, Paul Stastny, Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Jason Pomminville, Drew Stafford, Bobby Ryan, and Dustin Brown. Probably a stretch to think any of those guys would come (and in a couple cases, a stretch to think we'd want them to). More realistic possibilities might be David Moss of the Flames or Nick Palmieri of the Wild.

In the end it will probably go the way it always does: our absolute best with the exception of Jack Johnson will say no, and we'll end up fielding a team of low-level NHL'ers who won't make it past the quarters at best.

Mathradio 03-05-2012 02:52 PM

And why Umberger have anything against playing at the Worlds? At least Jack Johnson knows that the Worlds have a role to play in Olympic qualification.

Miller may accept; I assumed someone else would have brought Miller up before you did. You guys still need 2 goalies after all. A Miller-Quick goalie tandem would be sick... provided Wisniewski, both Johnsons (Jack and Erik) and everyone else play to their big-ice best. And both accept, of course.

Gomez and Gionta are doubtful, the former because I'm wary of him after the disappointing season he had, the latter because he may not be recovered enough fron his bicep tear to play. As for Pominville, Stafford and some other players, like Brown and Whitney, I would invite them as well.

therealdeal 03-05-2012 04:59 PM

I would say at this point that the US defense is probably stronger than Canada's. And depending on who misses the playoffs, US goalies could be strong as well, especially if LA goes out.

Hope you guys get more "Yes's" this year. :handclap:

AmericanDream 03-05-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45553807)
And why Umberger have anything against playing at the Worlds? At least Jack Johnson knows that the Worlds have a role to play in Olympic qualification.

Miller may accept; I assumed someone else would have brought Miller up before you did. You guys still need 2 goalies after all. A Miller-Quick goalie tandem would be sick... provided Wisniewski, both Johnsons (Jack and Erik) and everyone else play to their big-ice best. And both accept, of course.

Gomez and Gionta are doubtful, the former because I'm wary of him after the disappointing season he had, the latter because he may not be recovered enough fron his bicep tear to play. As for Pominville, Stafford and some other players, like Brown and Whitney, I would invite them as well.

no offense, but you must not follow this thing to closely when it comes to the US at the World Championships...

it isnt a question of who we invite, we pretty much send out invites to any American with a pulse. it sadly comes down to a long list of Americans that decline because they have something better to do or have some bogus excuse non child birth or sick family member.

every name you mentioned above will be invited or soon to be, but when you see how many do decline, it does get very frustrating.

though hope is not all lost as we have plenty og good young guys playing, and I can see a Dustin Brown or a few of the Jets coming on board. you can always hold out for hope, but I have a feeling this squad will be populated much better with NHL talent then last years squad.

Mathradio 03-06-2012 10:59 AM

Is it me or there are so many American players who take for granted that the USA will qualify for the Olympics?

Rabid Ranger 03-07-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45596471)
Is it me or there are so many American players who take for granted that the USA will qualify for the Olympics?

Do you really think the U.S. would fall below 9th before the next Olympics?

Mathradio 03-07-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 45690041)
Do you really think the U.S. would fall below 9th before the next Olympics?

Not before 2014 but for 2018 maybe.

Giglio NYR15 03-08-2012 02:53 PM

Hope we get a good look at young Americans who could be on olympics in 2014, unless they are apart of long playoff runs ofcourse.

New Sabres Captain 03-08-2012 03:59 PM

The best part about the Carter/Jackson trade is it is now a foregone conclusion that JJ will be available, and thus a foregone conclusion he will play.

The defense should be pretty good, even considering declines.

Johnson
Wisniewski
Faulk
Fowler
McBain
Gilbert
Gleason
Petry
Potter
Gardiner
Komisarek
Liles

And this isn't even including guys on teams that are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Imagine being able to add a Carlson, Bogosian, Byfuglien, E.Johnson, etc. to that list.

We should easily be able to get 6 solid commits (well, 5 + Johnson). Especially since many of those guys are quite young. Does anyone think Gardiner, McBain, Faulk, or Fowler would decline? Those are guys who I think would jump at this opportunity if they think it will help put them in any sort of Olympic consideration.

Goaltenders, I assume Montoya would go again, but after that is anyone's call. Boucher I'd venture would decline at this point in his career. Richard Bachman? Is Robert Esche still playing? Given Quick and Miller's workload its tough to see wither accepting if their teams miss. If Florida misses maybe Clemmensen? Do we have any decent tenders from overseas? Or do we have to scrounge the AHL (and find guys not in the playoffs there)? Do we end up taking a NCAA tender? Really sucks all our good goaltenders look playoff bound or decline-the-invite bound.

Forwards...does Kessel accept an invite (he has answered the call in the past, but declined last year)? Umberger HAS to accept this year, he can't play the college excuse. Bobby Ryan? How about some of Montreal's guys (Gionta, Gomez, Cole, Pacioretty, Geoffrion).

Toronto...yeah, don't see Connolly answering the call. But they have 4th liners which we all know Team USA loves, so don't be surprised to see Brown, Steckel or Crabb on the team...

Would Matt Cullen go from Minnesota? How about Chad LaRose?

If Buffalo misses, maybe Pominville goes if he wants more Olympic consideration. And perhaps someone like Gerbe or Stafford.

Would Stastny consider it if the Avs miss? How about Jeff Halpern from the Caps?

The forwards look like it's gonna be another mess trying to put together the roster. Would be really nice to get a Kessel-Umberger-Ryan top line though.

New Sabres Captain 03-08-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45553807)
And why Umberger have anything against playing at the Worlds? At least Jack Johnson knows that the Worlds have a role to play in Olympic qualification.

Miller may accept; I assumed someone else would have brought Miller up before you did. You guys still need 2 goalies after all. A Miller-Quick goalie tandem would be sick... provided Wisniewski, both Johnsons (Jack and Erik) and everyone else play to their big-ice best. And both accept, of course.

Gomez and Gionta are doubtful, the former because I'm wary of him after the disappointing season he had, the latter because he may not be recovered enough fron his bicep tear to play. As for Pominville, Stafford and some other players, like Brown and Whitney, I would invite them as well.

Umberger passed last year stating he wanted to finish his degree. But he's also stated he wanted to be considered for the Olympics, which ruffled some feathers here--he's not even close to being on of USA's top centers, but he wants to make the Olympic roster without playing at Worlds? That's why he absolutely has to accept this year. He doesn't get an excuse.

For all JJ cares, this tournament could have absolutely nothing to do with anything. It could be a glorified beauty pageant and he'd still show up. As long as he gets to wear USA on his jersey, he'll show up. He bleeds red white and blue more than any other American player--he jumped at the chance to play on the 2010 team when all the other Olympians declined (and understandably so). Johnson is a sure fire lock to wear the C.

Miller has declined in the past, and I assume he will decline again given the workload he's getting for the Sabres. And I'd assume Quick would do the same. Our goaltenders are probably going to be Montoya-(scrub).

AmericanDream 03-08-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords (Post 45739625)
Umberger passed last year stating he wanted to finish his degree. But he's also stated he wanted to be considered for the Olympics, which ruffled some feathers here--he's not even close to being on of USA's top centers, but he wants to make the Olympic roster without playing at Worlds? That's why he absolutely has to accept this year. He doesn't get an excuse.

For all JJ cares, this tournament could have absolutely nothing to do with anything. It could be a glorified beauty pageant and he'd still show up. As long as he gets to wear USA on his jersey, he'll show up. He bleeds red white and blue more than any other American player--he jumped at the chance to play on the 2010 team when all the other Olympians declined (and understandably so). Johnson is a sure fire lock to wear the C.

Miller has declined in the past, and I assume he will decline again given the workload he's getting for the Sabres. And I'd assume Quick would do the same. Our goaltenders are probably going to be Montoya-(scrub).

if Umberger slaps us in the nuts again this year, then he is dead to me. no excuse for him not accepting this year...none! he has his contract and his schooling should be done, so lets see him step up and help lead this young squad.

Jack Johnson is pretty much my hero. if we had 3-4 more guys like him, this would be a much better experience overall. he has every right to decline this year after being traded and all the times he has answered the bell, but if healthy I see him playing yet again...and he will be Captain America.

For goalies, I wouldnt count out Ty Conklin.. looks like he is #3 in Detroit, and if they could spare him, we could use him. A Montoya/Conklin combo is more then fine by me....if not then Scott Clemmenson to the rescue!

Though we put a lot of weight onto the names we get from the teams that do not make the playoffs, we usually get some of our better players from the first round eliminations. I believe we got JVR and Fowler last year after they got eliminated from the playoffs. Plus Pavelski joined us a few years back as well...so I hope we dont load up on 4th line grinders again too early in the process. over 220 Americans stepped foot on NHL ice this year, we can be patient and wait to snag some highend guys after the 1st round if needed.

AmericanDream 03-08-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords (Post 45739357)
The best part about the Carter/Jackson trade is it is now a foregone conclusion that JJ will be available, and thus a foregone conclusion he will play.

The defense should be pretty good, even considering declines.

Johnson
Wisniewski
Faulk
Fowler
McBain
Gilbert
Gleason
Petry
Potter
Gardiner
Komisarek
Liles

And this isn't even including guys on teams that are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Imagine being able to add a Carlson, Bogosian, Byfuglien, E.Johnson, etc. to that list.

We should easily be able to get 6 solid commits (well, 5 + Johnson). Especially since many of those guys are quite young. Does anyone think Gardiner, McBain, Faulk, or Fowler would decline? Those are guys who I think would jump at this opportunity if they think it will help put them in any sort of Olympic consideration.

Goaltenders, I assume Montoya would go again, but after that is anyone's call. Boucher I'd venture would decline at this point in his career. Richard Bachman? Is Robert Esche still playing? Given Quick and Miller's workload its tough to see wither accepting if their teams miss. If Florida misses maybe Clemmensen? Do we have any decent tenders from overseas? Or do we have to scrounge the AHL (and find guys not in the playoffs there)? Do we end up taking a NCAA tender? Really sucks all our good goaltenders look playoff bound or decline-the-invite bound.

Forwards...does Kessel accept an invite (he has answered the call in the past, but declined last year)? Umberger HAS to accept this year, he can't play the college excuse. Bobby Ryan? How about some of Montreal's guys (Gionta, Gomez, Cole, Pacioretty, Geoffrion).

Toronto...yeah, don't see Connolly answering the call. But they have 4th liners which we all know Team USA loves, so don't be surprised to see Brown, Steckel or Crabb on the team...

Would Matt Cullen go from Minnesota? How about Chad LaRose?

If Buffalo misses, maybe Pominville goes if he wants more Olympic consideration. And perhaps someone like Gerbe or Stafford.

Would Stastny consider it if the Avs miss? How about Jeff Halpern from the Caps?

The forwards look like it's gonna be another mess trying to put together the roster. Would be really nice to get a Kessel-Umberger-Ryan top line though.

I think some of the more realistic forwards to look at would be Max Pacioretty, Kyle Okposo, R.J Umberger, Erik Nystrom, Chad Larose, Drew Stafford, Nate Gerbe, Peter Mueller (if healthy), Dustin Brown (usually answers the call), David Moss. Most of these guys are young, have a lot to prove, or have been injured and want to play more hockey...I can see the bulk of our top 9 coming from here...though not elite, I would take that in a heartbeat.

Hoping for Phil Kessel, Paul Stastny, Bobby Ryan, Jason Pominville, and Matt Cullen is probably dreaming as these guys had their shot last year but didnt come....but ya never know.

Our defense is going to carry this team imo....and when I say carry I mean both ends of the ice.

I like any # of these young guys : Brian Lee, Jake Gardiner, Jamie McBain, Justin Faulk, John Moore, Cam Fowler, Jeff Petry....I could easily live with having this group make up the bulk of our defense....

it would be awesome to see Jack Johnson and John Carlson on this squad....if Washington doesnt make the playoffs, no doubts n my mind that Carlson will come. he wants to be on the 2014 team and he answers the bell this time. throw in James Wisniewski and Tom Gilbert and you could have one hell of a defense!!

New Sabres Captain 03-09-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 45779231)
I think some of the more realistic forwards to look at would be Max Pacioretty, Kyle Okposo, R.J Umberger, Erik Nystrom, Chad Larose, Drew Stafford, Nate Gerbe, Peter Mueller (if healthy), Dustin Brown (usually answers the call), David Moss. Most of these guys are young, have a lot to prove, or have been injured and want to play more hockey...I can see the bulk of our top 9 coming from here...though not elite, I would take that in a heartbeat.

Hoping for Phil Kessel, Paul Stastny, Bobby Ryan, Jason Pominville, and Matt Cullen is probably dreaming as these guys had their shot last year but didnt come....but ya never know.

Our defense is going to carry this team imo....and when I say carry I mean both ends of the ice.

I like any # of these young guys : Brian Lee, Jake Gardiner, Jamie McBain, Justin Faulk, John Moore, Cam Fowler, Jeff Petry....I could easily live with having this group make up the bulk of our defense....

it would be awesome to see Jack Johnson and John Carlson on this squad....if Washington doesnt make the playoffs, no doubts n my mind that Carlson will come. he wants to be on the 2014 team and he answers the bell this time. throw in James Wisniewski and Tom Gilbert and you could have one hell of a defense!!

Stastny was battling injuries, Ryan and Pominville were both in the playoffs. Only one who didn't was Kessel, but he has in the past, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I agree Cullen is unlikely though at this point in his career.

The other name not to forget is someone like Chris Kreider, depending on what happens with him after the NCAA season. If he doesn't play for the Whale in the AHL post-NCAA this season, then he's a possibility to be picked as well.

afrobomber11 03-12-2012 09:15 PM

you know jj is going, he always shows up for an oppertunity to put on the usa crest

Mathradio 03-12-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrobomber11 (Post 45970979)
you know jj is going, he always shows up for an oppertunity to put on the usa crest

Not only JJ is going, he'll even captain the team again! As he did in 2010.

afrobomber11 03-13-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 45978365)
Not only JJ is going, he'll even captain the team again! As he did in 2010.

him or mike brown :naughty:

AmericanDream 03-22-2012 07:49 PM

things are starting to get a bit clearer for a few teams...I would imagine we will start hearing some names declining....i mean accepting invites this coming week.

William H Bonney 03-25-2012 02:47 AM

Roster I'd like to see based on the standings right now:

Forwards (x13):

Max Pacioretty - Joe Pavelski - Phil Kessel
Erik Cole - Paul Stastny - Bobby Ryan
Ryan Malone - Matt Cullen (A) - Blake Wheeler
Lee Stempniak - Jeff Halpern (A) - Chad LaRose
Tim Stapleton

Defense (x8):

Jack Johnson (C) - Erik Johnson
Tim Gleason - Dustin Byfuglien
John Carlson - Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler - Zach Bogosian

Goalies (x3):

Al Montoya
Jack Campbell

Outside of the goalies right now, we could actually ice a really good squad capable of winning this thing. But, like most years, a lot of these players will probably decline, while others may actually end up in the playoffs. Hopefully with the Olympics coming on fast, some of these guys will accept their invites early to get that ball rolling. The nice thing is there are some very good pieces here that we know will be available and if Team USA can corral the majority of Kessel, Ryan, Cole, Pacioretty, Johnson, etc. early then maybe, just maybe it will get other players excited about this opportunity for a change. Pipe dream, I know, but it's always worth a shot. And yes, I purposely left off Umberger. I won't consider him again unless he gives a damn and shows he should be considered.

This hopeful projection will change obviously but Team USA has some very good pieces that are guaranteed to be available and if they can get those aforementioned players on board, they could do some damage. But, with that, they need a good goalie to fall out of the playoffs because the pickings there are too slim right now.

PaulieVegas 03-25-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 45778383)
if Umberger slaps us in the nuts again this year, then he is dead to me. no excuse for him not accepting this year...none! he has his contract and his schooling should be done, so lets see him step up and help lead this young

If I recall he's done it two years running, he declined in 2010 to finish his degree as well.

I think Clemmensen is a free agent this offseason so even if FLA doesn't make the playoffs I don't think he'd go. To me that's the second-best excuse next to legitimate injury.

I'm guessing based on the track record of young players accepting vs. prime players that Faulk and McBain would accept but Buff and Wiesnewski might not. For Buff, who has a legit shot to make the 2014 Oly team, I think that's a mistake. EJ and Wiesnewski probably decline. Bogosian had better accept if invited, he's a guy that's falling of the USA radar fast. JMFJ will accept and captain as always, God bless that man.

Tony Piscotta 03-26-2012 11:36 AM

WC and Olympics - And Americans in Europe
 
In my opinion whether a player accepts or not should have very little effect on what the roster looks like for Sochi. The tournaments are two different beasts and should be viewed as such when trying to make a roster.

While some on here would fault guys for passing on the tournament it is tough to knock someone who is likely very diminished both physically and mentally after the NHL season (much longer and more grueling than any of the other European leagues).

In fact, in the past it has always looked like the USA squad has gone with younger players who had smaller roles with their teams - the Komisareks, Freddy Meyers, and Trevor Daleys of the world before they were logging big-time minutes.

It also seems that there is a tendency for the USA to look to players who were in the USA Hockey junior programs and had success.

That being the case, I'd imagine that the roster will reflect that this season as well - and that may be a good thing. In looking at the European teams of late, that have been so successful in recent years, many are missing their front line NHL guys but manage to compete using guys that are fresh and haven't had the pounding of some of the bigger names.

Along those lines, there are several Americans playing in Europe - and especially in Finland and Sweden - that might be considered for the team and could be effective in a short series tournament like the WC - without feeling the effects of both the NHL season (and in the case of the guys coming from teams that were beaten in the first round - a ten-hour flight as well).

Among the goalies with experience in Europe, Robert Esche has represented the USA at six tournaments and is coming off a strong playoff performance in Switzerland. Chris Holt played for Dynamo Riga and also in the Deutschland Cup for Team USA.

Like Esche, veterans Mike York and Andrew Hutchinson might provide some experience and would also likely appreciate the tournament more than some of the younger guys coming over from North America. And veteran Andy Roach had success with Team USA in the past

And it'd be interesting to see guys like Robbie Schremp and Robbie Earl who've had experience with Team USA in the past and have only played fifty or so games as opposed to the NHLers who've played 80+.

One-time Devils prospect Barry Tallackson as well as former NCAA stars Jeremy Dehner, Broc Little, and Ryan Gunderson, viewed as too small to be NHL prospects, might also be effective in this type of tournament.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.