HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Marcel Dionne says "Kopitar needs to make a decision" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1124539)

King Richards 03-02-2012 01:44 PM

Marcel Dionne says "Kopitar needs to make a decision"

http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2012/03/m...s-to-make.html

Quote:

"I think Kopitar's at the point in his career where he has to decide what he wants to do. Does he want to be the guy? If I was him, he should be looking at the situation and what's going with (Evgeni) Malkin. When (Sidney) Crosby was playing, Malkin was happy to be second fiddle. Then, when Crosby went out, Malkin took over. He wins games on his own. Kopi has to do that! You can't wait for wingers. You gotta make it happen. Some nights he's gotta be the guy. And if he's not, now it's getting to the point in his game where it's going to be tough to get up to the level he wants to be. Everbody knows him, everybody knows how he plays.

He should be a little bit more - he reminds me a little bit of Mats Sundin. They're big guys, but when they get close to the net, they're not aggressive enough. They have to get these guys off their backs because they're big guys. If they're soft there, then you know what, those soft goals don't come.

I still have confidence in him. But, sometimes, management are too nice to their stars. He needs a wake-up call."

With 731 goals scored in the NHL, that's the voice of experience you hear.
Wow! Refreshing words from Dionne there. I'm inclined to agree with him completely. I hope Kopitar sees this.

Bandit 03-02-2012 01:47 PM

Didn't he already say something similar about Kopitar a while back, or is this the same thing just re-hashed?

DAkings20 03-02-2012 01:48 PM

Should have put his name in trade rumors

Ollie Weeks 03-02-2012 01:53 PM

Nice

etherialone 03-02-2012 01:59 PM

Marcel was amazing and my fav king when he was there. The day he stood outside the chainlink fence in front of the forum and cried about being dealt was one of the hardest days for me as a Kings fan. He was so great in so many ways more than offencively that you had to like him.

I put allot of value in what he has to say and in this case I think he should consider Kopi's age a little more than he appears to be. I agree with what he is saying but think that this season will be one of Kopi's best learning/developmental seasons in a couple of years.

He you go Kopi, here is all of the adversity and challenge that goes along with being considered among the best in the league at something, how will you respond?

I think he will become *the man* and that his game will take another leap forward. Of course I have allot of faith in Kopi so admittedly am biased.

Bad Will Hunting 03-02-2012 02:18 PM

I am glad Marcel said this, because I was about to say the same thing with spray paint and sharpees.

Telos 03-02-2012 02:31 PM

Of course, he has to say this directly after Kopitar has a multi-point game and has 3 points in the last 2 games, but I guess overall throughout the year, it can easily be applied. I think we just need more offensive aggression from Kopitar. He has a supreme skillset and used to be able to drive to the net, but now he just goes straight to the half board and they setup a paltry cycle to the point for flubbed shots. I would just like to see more creativity and determination, more players going to the slot and more attempts at quality scoring chances. The Kings keep getting scored on in such a fashion, but whenever we try to dish it out, we are always looking for the gritty bounces to go our way.

We need to start making our own luck here. More drive, and more taking the puck to the middle of the ice. I would like to see Kopitar take chances with his skill more instead of trying to make the safe play for a weak shot on net. It sounds counter-intuitive and is definitely against our system, but we have very skilled players on the roster who need to take the safety off and go for the homerun every once in a while.

etherialone 03-02-2012 02:38 PM

I agree. Kopi also needs to take some leadership of the team. Part of being "the man" is leading by example. He can still be great and be a quiet nice guy, there are allot of examples of guys who have been this way but I still think that Kopi's size and drive are great but if he added a little nastiness he could develop into something very special.

Not saying he should drop the gloves, just saying that he could use a bit of a mean streak.

Fishhead 03-02-2012 03:11 PM

What's been missing from Kopi's game is that killer instinct, I think Marcel hit on it perfectly. It's a mental thing, not physical. He's got all the tools.

When Kopi has the puck, I wish he had more of an attitude like "OK, I'm going to the net now. If you get in the way I'm going to run your *** over. If you give me space, I'm going to make you look foolish"

Winger23 03-02-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishhead (Post 45381769)
What's been missing from Kopi's game is that killer instinct, I think Marcel hit on it perfectly. It's a mental thing, not physical. He's got all the tools.

When Kopi has the puck, I wish he had more of an attitude like "OK, I'm going to the net now. If you get in the way I'm going to run your *** over. If you give me space, I'm going to make you look foolish"

Exactly. We need more beast mode kopi not the kopi that just wants to pass.

DontgoZiggy 03-02-2012 03:28 PM

I'd definately like to see him drive to the net and shoot more. Like he did against the yotes when he got that crappy goalie interferrence call. I just wish he was a bit more selfish. He'd create a lot more havoc, and he'd score more goals than all this perimeter play gets.

johnjm22 03-02-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 45380291)
I agree. Kopi also needs to take some leadership of the team. Part of being "the man" is leading by example. He can still be great and be a quiet nice guy, there are allot of examples of guys who have been this way but I still think that Kopi's size and drive are great but if he added a little nastiness he could develop into something very special.

Not saying he should drop the gloves, just saying that he could use a bit of a mean streak.

I don't know if I agree with this. I don't think adding an element of nastiness would help his game. There's lots of great players that never played with a mean streak. Besides, it won't happen anyways, it's just not him.

Kopitar reminds me of the Sedins in terms of production. They were 70-80 point players for a while until whole Canucks team started playing better, than their point totals took off. I think that will end up being true of Kopitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy (Post 45382687)
I'd definately like to see him drive to the net and shoot more. Like he did against the yotes when he got that crappy goalie interferrence call. I just wish he was a bit more selfish. He'd create a lot more havoc, and he'd score more goals than all this perimeter play gets.

This I agree with. Kopitar is at his best when he trying to generate scoring opportunities for himself, not his linemates. He's a better goal scorer than playmaker, but he's trying to be the latter.

sweatypickle 03-02-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 45379965)
Of course, he has to say this directly after Kopitar has a multi-point game and has 3 points in the last 2 games

that's the absolute best time to say it..

theMajor 03-02-2012 03:46 PM

he needs to start being selfish and stop giving up scoring opportunities in favor of passing the puck

JBernierFan 03-02-2012 03:53 PM

The last few games, I've been watching Kopi closely. It seems like he feels he needs to stop along the boards (around where he stands on the PP) and just pass it off. I miss the Kopi who drove to the net, like he did in his rookie season on his first couple of goals against Pronger and the Ducks. We haven't seen that Kopi in some time. It seem whenever he DOES try and do that, he gets a penalty and so doesn't try it again that night or the next few games. It's so frustrating. Marcel hit the nail on the head. Kopi needs to watch a few Pens games and how Malkin is getting it done.

xavi4life 03-02-2012 04:09 PM

Did Lombardi pay Marcel Dionne to say this??? Trade rumors appeared to have worked on Brown, maybe this is another "motivator"? Either way Marcel is ****ing right.

Albi 03-02-2012 04:15 PM

People should stop comparing Kopitar to Malkin, Geno is a monster, Anze is a good player with some room for improvement. This season Anze looked more loke a slovenian version of Jozef Stumpel, offensive wise: tons of perimetral shots, always skating around the slot, never trying to do something speacial, never finishing any hits.

IMO Anze needs to start playing with some balls.
But unfortunately nobody can't teach him how to grow them.

xavi4life 03-02-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi (Post 45384953)
People should stop comparing Kopitar to Malkin, Geno is a monster, Anze is a good player with some room for improvement. This season Anze looked more loke a slovenian version of Jozef Stumpel, offensive wise: tons of perimetral shots, always skating around the slot, never trying to do something speacial, never finishing any hits.

IMO Anze needs to start playing with some balls.
But unfortunately nobody can't teach him how to grow them.

Is it fair if we compare Anze to other #1 Centers who make near or around $6.8 million a season?

Albi 03-02-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent (Post 45385195)
Is it fair if we compare Anze to other #1 Centers who make near or around $6.8 million a season?

Of course it is, but not comparing him to Malkin.
Anze plays another sport compared to Malkin.

Axl Rhoadz* 03-02-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Just another questionable DL contract. Again, most likely based on potential, just like Doughty. Problem is, these players aren't playing up to it. Kopitar is on pace for a 72 point season...is that worth 6.8mil?

savemefromtears 03-02-2012 05:01 PM

Kopi in full beast mode:

I'd really, really love to see another one of these before I die.

Perro 03-02-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Malkin makes almost 2 mil more a year.

johnjm22 03-02-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savemefromtears (Post 45387109)
Kopi in full beast mode:

I'd really, really love to see another one of these before I die.

Here you go:

Ziggy Stardust 03-02-2012 05:41 PM

Funny, I was saying the exact same thing in another thread. In simple terms, Kopitar needs to man up and start accepting responsibility for the direction of the team. He has to be an on-ice leader who can lead his team offensively.

The Kings can't afford to have its most skilled and talented (and also lucrative) forward take nights, weeks, months off without much in offensive contribution. The team finds itself in this predicament due to Kopitar's mid-season absence. He's done this numerous times.

He has to start acting like a true leader and start taking over shifts and get this team going offensively.

MynameisKing 03-02-2012 05:43 PM

Look where all those goals are scored from. The front and around the net!