HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Speculation: CBJ coach next year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1125319)

nateosu29 03-03-2012 06:32 AM

CBJ coach next year

With Ron Wilson being fired in Toronto yesterday, it only seems logical to speculate about the Jackets hiring him as their next permanent head coach. He is the most credentialed coach available, unless you consider Mike Keenan which could be debated. He does not seem like a fit with Scott Howson, but hopefully he is not around next year to have a say.

TaketheCannoli 03-03-2012 06:37 AM

Todd Richards. Saves Howson effort

Jovavic 03-03-2012 06:38 AM

Why would anyone with pedigree come here with the current management?

nateosu29 03-03-2012 06:47 AM

I think Wilson may have some interest in Columbus considering he has been swimming with sharks in Toronto. He needs to re-assert himself as a top coach in this league (ala Hitch when he came to the CBJ) and the expectations in Columbus, sadly, could not be lower. So when you add it all up there may be a fit here.

Howson may be the wild card. If he is not here, I think it is open game in terms of bringing in a proven coach like Wilson. But if Howson is back, after the Arniel debacle and this firing of Hitch, I don't think there will be a line of proven head coaches interviewing. His reputation around NHL circles has got to be that of a laughing stock/whipping boy.

DaveCBJ 03-03-2012 06:53 AM

I think the better question is "Who will be our head coach next February?". Assuming that the root cause of the problem (Priest) remains in place (which he will) we are likely to retain Howson (or someone else that will do what Priest tells them to do), who will probably retain Todd Richards as head coach. Since we tend to make our coaching changes in the middle of the season I am going to predict that Dan Hinote will become our next interim coach in late January of 2013.

KeithBWhittington 03-03-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina (Post 45420287)
Why would anyone with pedigree come here with the current management?

+1.

Inevitably, there probably will be a candidate or multiple ones with NHL head coaching experience that want to prove they still have it or that they still can do it. They may quickly change their tunes once they actually see what type of Mickey Mouse Operation is in the works here in Columbus.

I think Richards is likely the "safe" choice at this juncture and you always have the media and fans that will pump him up based on what he's done this season, which isn't spectacular and isn't even good, but people respect being forced into a position and taking it in stride.

Honestly, I think we need a clean sweep out of the coaches. Apologies to Richards, I'd offer him a scouting position and clean out the others completely. We gambled on a young, non-nhl experienced staff and it cost us.

I think the move to bring in Todd to begin with at the beginning of the season was a good one. We lacked experience and he gave us that.

He's definitely the "safe" pick at this point. And due to all the vitrol directed at management, it could work in his favor simply because they don't want management conducting another coaching search again and risk another bad hire.

EspenK 03-03-2012 07:20 AM

I'm thinking Richards may be the guy because he's here already. I'm not sure we need a re-tread-all the fired guys have proved they can't win with lousy talent and I'm not sure we're ready for the next up and comer a la Arniel & Boucher.

I'm more concerned with what players will be here-it's hard to make chicken salad without the chicken.

CBJ Bob 03-03-2012 09:00 AM

The Jackets are equally bad and predictable; Richards will remain the coach. If Howson names someone else I will skinny dip in the fountains at Easton.

Feicht 03-03-2012 09:10 AM

Yeah, I can't think we get a new coach unless Priest and Howson are gone by the draft. And I doubt they will be :(

JACKETfan 03-03-2012 09:31 AM

My scenario:

We get an allstar GM who has nothing left to prove, but wants the challenge of restoring a franchise in his last few years of service to the NHL, --and who then brings in an old friend as the head coach, --who is somebody we otherwise would not be able to touch.

Robert 03-03-2012 09:49 AM

If Howson remains the bet is Richards, as many have said, it's the easy way...

I think Wilson would be an excellent candidate.. Based on the Leaf change I've also read a lot about Dallas Eakins, if RC turned down the Leaf job Eakins was spoken of being the next in line.

hip check 03-03-2012 09:51 AM

Michael Peca! Ok just kidding. But from a personal stand point I think it would be awesome for him to be involved in some aspect with the team. Or even the AHL team if he'd have it. He's got the leadership, respect, and a straight talker. He's not afraid to tell someone how it is which is sorely lacking here in Jacket land. Maybe its just my man crush on him that makes me think this way.

Robert 03-03-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hip check (Post 45423541)
Michael Peca! Ok just kidding. But from a personal stand point I think it would be awesome for him to be involved in some aspect with the team. Or even the AHL team if he'd have it. He's got the leadership, respect, and a straight talker. He's not afraid to tell someone how it is which is sorely lacking here in Jacket land. Maybe its just my man crush on him that makes me think this way.

I've always liked him as well but he has no AHL or NHL coaching experience, he is affliated with the Buffalo Jr. Sabres but that's not enough experience for a first time NHL head coach. As an assistant coach in the organization (AHL) would be a good move.

Mayor Bee 03-03-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hip check (Post 45423541)

If you were on a train and said "Michael Peca" continuously, it would synchronize with the movement of the wheels. They'd also start to sound the same.

From another thread, here's a repost of a list I found. I did a search on coaches who were last active as a head coach between 2000 and the present, with at least 4 years of NHL experience. Here's the list, with age as of Dec. 31, 2012.

John Muckler - 78
Bob Pulford - 76
Butch Goring - 63
Lorne Henning - 60
Scotty Bowman - 79
Kevin Constantine - 54
Ron Low - 62
Curt Fraser - 54
Robby Ftorek - 60
Dave King - 65
Al MacNeil - 77
Rick Bowness - 57
Rick Dudley - 63
Bobby Francis - 54
Doug MacLean - 58
Brian SUtter - 56
Larry Robinson - 61
Dave Lewis - 59
Al Arbour - 80
Glen Hanlon - 55
Bryan Murray - 70
Bob Hartley - 52
Ted Nolan - 54
John Paddock - 58
Bob Gainey - 59
Wayne Gretzky - 51
Craig Hartsburg - 53
Mike Keenan - 63
Craig MacTavish - 54
Barry Melrose - 56
Michel Therrien - 49
Andy Murray - 61
Pat Quinn - 69
Marc Crawford - 51
Jacques Lemaire - 67

Robert 03-03-2012 10:05 AM

Crawford and his SC was a guy I was thinking about but his last two jobs were disasters..

joshjoshjosh 03-03-2012 10:30 AM

Priest

JacketFanInFL 03-03-2012 10:34 AM

Dave King

Matthew 03-03-2012 10:42 AM

Oddly enough, I'm more concerned about who the goalies will be.

Nanabijou 03-03-2012 11:18 AM

Likely Richards if Howson is still here.

I like the idea of looking closely at Ted Nolan.

TaketheCannoli 03-03-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJ Bob (Post 45422237)
The Jackets are equally bad and predictable; Richards will remain the coach. If Howson names someone else I will skinny dip in the fountains at Easton.

I'll call him and let him know what's at stake here.

Better spend some time in the gym :sarcasm:

TaketheCannoli 03-03-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 45423501)
If Howson remains the bet is Richards, as many have said, it's the easy way...

I think Wilson would be an excellent candidate.. Based on the Leaf change I've also read a lot about Dallas Eakins, if RC turned down the Leaf job Eakins was spoken of being the next in line.

Burke said he considered Marc Crawford and a few internal candidates including Dallas Eakins and Scott Gordon.

I think Burke was going for Crawford as option #2. Crawford coached for Burke in Vancouver and he has a similar style to Carlyle's. Burke said he believe Eakins will be a good NHL coach, but since Eakins has never coached a single playoff game in the AHL Eakins just isn't ready for an NHL bench.

Frankly, Burke also brought up something that I think is at the root of Columbus's problems. Prospects need to have a winning pedigree and Burke asserts it must start in the AHL. I don't want to derail this discussion and I'll find another thread for this.

While I expect Todd Richards to get the job, I hope the Jackets talk to coaches like Crawford and MacT. I'd rather they hire a tough coach than a so-called "players coach" like Richards.

hip check 03-03-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 45423811)
I've always liked him as well but he has no AHL or NHL coaching experience, he is affliated with the Buffalo Jr. Sabres but that's not enough experience for a first time NHL head coach. As an assistant coach in the organization (AHL) would be a good move.

I agree, I don't really want him as coach. I just feel that he is the right personality needed, even if its in a small role somewhere.

Doug19 03-03-2012 12:33 PM

I can't remember, but didn't the Carolina fire Paul Maurice? I've read he's a pretty good coach, could be a guy worth looking into.

mt-svk 03-03-2012 12:43 PM

Kurt Kleinendorst is my choice

TBJF 03-03-2012 12:58 PM

If Dumb & Dumber are still running the show . . . .

. . . Then it won't make a dime's worth of difference.

Richards, for his continued mishandling of Johansen, should be shown the door immediately. But that may well be coming down from Howson. Otherwise he has not been totally inept.

I'm more worried about President, GM, and starting goaltender. Those are all much more urgent vacancies to get filled.

But if I had to place I bet, I'd bet we get the same recycled plate of poop. Maybe a new assistant or two, or maybe a new guy in the AHL.

If we get a new GM and are seriously looking to rebuild, I would like to see Dave King given a fair shot. But that's just me being contrary, probably.