HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Eric Wellwood/Erik Gustafsson have rejoined the Flyers (March 3) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1125385)

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-03-2012 09:58 AM

Eric Wellwood/Erik Gustafsson have rejoined the Flyers (March 3)

He'll be available for tomorrow night's game at Washington.

Quote:

have recalled forward Eric Wellwood from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms today.
Source: Flyers' Twitter.

GKJ 03-03-2012 10:40 AM

This makes less sense than people think.

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-03-2012 10:55 AM

They can't use the emergency recall clause because they have twelve healthy forwards with Shelley. Without any recall, that leaves 12 healthy bodies and no spares with a condensed schedule approaching (five games in eight nights).

GKJ 03-03-2012 11:11 AM

AHL has Clear Day on Monday, and in the NHL you only get so many call-ups after the trade deadline (4 maybe?). They're going to send him back down after the game, and then call him back up on Tuesday. I think they were better off biting the bullet on Shelley for one game, and moving Couturier or Talbot back up into the Top 9.

That's why it would have been nice to pick up a depth forward at the deadline instead of having Jody Shelley as your only healthy scratch at forward. Use 7 defensemen for 1 game if you have to.

Little thing that seems mindless to me.

BillDineen 03-03-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 45425923)
AHL has Clear Day on Monday, and in the NHL you only get so many call-ups after the trade deadline (4 maybe?). They're going to send him back down after the game, and then call him back up on Tuesday. I think they were better off biting the bullet on Shelley for one game, and moving Couturier or Talbot back up into the Top 9.

That's why it would have been nice to pick up a depth forward at the deadline instead of having Jody Shelley as your only healthy scratch at forward. Use 7 defensemen for 1 game if you have to.

Little thing that seems mindless to me.

According to wikipedia it is 4. Yet another reason to wonder why Shelley was signed and remains on the roster emerges.

Kaktus* 03-03-2012 12:30 PM

It is 4 for sure.

Hockeypete49 03-03-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 45423779)
He'll be available for tomorrow night's game at Washington.

Source: Flyers' Twitter.

Glad to see the kid called up. I do not know what it is about him that I like ,but he does not look out of place on the big club.

GKJ 03-03-2012 06:59 PM

RT @PSPhantoms: Flyers have recalled Erik Gustafsson.

DUHockey9 03-03-2012 07:23 PM

And Gus. So if they do send Wellwood down so he can be on the AHL Clear Day list, we could very well use 3 of our 4 re-calls quite quickly.

RoDu 03-03-2012 08:17 PM

who is out on D, or is it precautionary?

bryzgalovsky* 03-03-2012 08:51 PM

Wellwood makes sense with JVR out, but why Gustafsson?

DUHockey9 03-03-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers1975fan (Post 45456255)

A few D either didn't practice today, or left early. I want to say it was Coburn, Mesz, and Kimmo IIRC. Perhaps someone is banged up.

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-03-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 45452781)
who is out on D, or is it precautionary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers1975fan (Post 45456255)

I put this in the GDT:

Quote:

Coburn missed the morning skate in Calgary but played that night despite a reference to a possible neck injury. It could be related to the check into the boards by Staal.

It has appeared that Timonen is banged up and perhaps Laviolette has been monitoring his minutes.

Meszaros? Not too sure.

The team has five games in eight days approaching, too.
There wasn't anything specificied after practice today but Laviolette again mentioned all injury info comes through Holmgren.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...614&feedID=695

Quote:

Missing defense
The Flyers’ top defensive pairing of Kimmo Timonen and Brayden Coburn, along with defenseman Andrej Meszaros, missed practice on Saturday afternoon. Both Timonen and Coburn were no-shows at the Skatezone. Meszaros was the first player on the ice but left very shortly after and was not available to the media.

General manager Paul Holmgren was also unavailable for comment.

While “maintenance days” are common for high-minute players, injury concern was raised by Laviolette, who also seemed in the dark about his missing defenders.

“We’re searching (for bodies) right now, there was only four defenseman out there today,” said the coach. “I’m not sure if it was maintenance at this point. But everything (all injury news) comes from Paul.”

pughater 03-03-2012 09:02 PM

they are going to update it shortly on sportsnite. and the update is they dont know ugh

ilovetheflyers8 03-03-2012 09:35 PM

Why is it that Wellwood has to be sent down immediately after one game?

GKJ 03-03-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 (Post 45461189)
Why is it that Wellwood has to be sent down immediately after one game?

Because of AHL Clear Day. I got told that they might just have to list him on the roster even if he's with the Flyers though.

DUHockey9 03-03-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 45464055)
Because of AHL Clear Day. I got told that they might just have to list him on the roster even if he's with the Flyers though.

So they could list him even though he's up in the NHL?

SolidSnakeUS 03-04-2012 03:34 AM

Nice, can't wait to see both play.

Krishna 03-04-2012 03:41 AM

Should have called up Bourdon

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-04-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 45481099)
Should have called up Bourdon

He's been out of the Phantoms' lineup in recent days, too. Injury-related.

If more than one Flyers' d-man is hurt for today, Lilja and Gustafsson would both play.

Larry44 03-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 45483985)
He's been out of the Phantoms' lineup in recent days, too. Injury-related.

If more than one Flyers' d-man is hurt for today, Lilja and Gustafsson would both play.

Timonen has been down to 14 mins the last couple games, so I suspect he's been hurt but playing.

Flyerfan808 03-05-2012 04:20 AM

I thought Gustafsson played very well today. There were a few times 1-on-1 with Ovechkin, where I thought for sure he would get fried, but he held his ground. Good D Erik.

FlyersFan61290 03-05-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 (Post 45536411)
I thought Gustafsson played very well today. There were a few times 1-on-1 with Ovechkin, where I thought for sure he would get fried, but he held his ground. Good D Erik.

I remember one situation in particular against Semin too where he did a great job. I thought he held his own last night and was one of the better Flyers' D-men. With his injury this year and the deadline acquisitions he really didn't get a whole lot of NHL action so with Kimmo gone for as much as 2 weeks I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

GKJ 03-05-2012 10:26 AM

Good thing they called him up.