HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Geek Emporium (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ||| Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1126855)

Telos 03-04-2012 08:06 PM

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ||| Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?
 
Old Thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1045065

Continue on...

Alberta tough 03-04-2012 08:22 PM

Just started the game. How do I get shouts? By killing a dragon?

whiplash 03-04-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta tough (Post 45525113)
Just started the game. How do I get shouts? By killing a dragon?

! I get to be useful!



You need to find 'Shout Walls' which "teach" you the shout. To unlock a shout or improve one you need to murder a dragon and absorb its soul (which is awesome to me and hasn't gotten old, I still switch to 3rd person to see me absoring the dead dragons essence). Then go to the Magic menu and navigate to the 'Shouts' menu. You can unluck and/or upgrade shouts based on your progress and dragons killed


edit: Also, do the main quests. You learn some shouts that way and it doesn't cost dragon souls

Leafs at Knight 03-04-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta tough (Post 45525113)
Just started the game. How do I get shouts? By killing a dragon?

You get them through shout walls that are scattered across skyrim. You get a few by doing the main story though. Once you absorb? these shouts, you then need dragon souls to unlock em'

EDIT: beaten to it

SolidSnakeUS 03-04-2012 08:48 PM

I still need to play this... but I got way too many other games to play.

Sined 03-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 45526923)
I still need to play this... but I got way too many other games to play.

You should. You're missing out.

SolidSnakeUS 03-04-2012 09:01 PM

I played the game for about an hour then stopped. I have co-op Saints Row The Third to play. Just bought Alan Wake for the PC. Mass Effect 3 is coming out Tuesday. And still playing Battlefield 3 and NHL 12. So yeah, not a lot of time.

Alberta tough 03-04-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash (Post 45526487)
! I get to be useful! You need to find 'Shout Walls' which "teach" you the shout. To unlock a shout or improve one you need to murder a dragon and absorb its soul (which is awesome to me and hasn't gotten old, I still switch to 3rd person to see me absoring the dead dragons essence). Then go to the Magic menu and navigate to the 'Shouts' menu. You can unluck and/or upgrade shouts based on your progress and dragons killed edit: Also, do the main quests. You learn some shouts that way and it doesn't cost dragon souls


Thanks.:)

whiplash 03-04-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 45527641)
I played the game for about an hour then stopped. I have co-op Saints Row The Third to play. Just bought Alan Wake for the PC. Mass Effect 3 is coming out Tuesday. And still playing Battlefield 3 and NHL 12. So yeah, not a lot of time.

All of these things you've mentioned can wait. Skyrim really is THAT good (and I don't capitalize often)

yakitate304 03-04-2012 09:56 PM

I haven't played in a few months, but I'm really tempted to start a Khajiit fire mage like Katia Managan.

zytz 03-04-2012 10:02 PM

Skyrim is the first I've played of the Elder Scrolls series... and yeah it's pretty much the best thing ever. Put down all your other games and play this first.

Question for the pros out there though- all my fancy enchanted weapons I've picked up are out of charge. I know recharging them involves soul gems somehow... but how exactly do I do it?

Joseppi 03-04-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zytz (Post 45530203)
Skyrim is the first I've played of the Elder Scrolls series... and yeah it's pretty much the best thing ever. Put down all your other games and play this first.

Question for the pros out there though- all my fancy enchanted weapons I've picked up are out of charge. I know recharging them involves soul gems somehow... but how exactly do I do it?

Navigate to the weapons menu, and highlight the enchanted weapon in question. There'll be a button to press (default: T) to open up a submenu of charged soul gems that can be used to charge weapons. The larger the soul (Petty<Lesser<Common<Greater<Grand), the more it charges. The soul gem is destroyed in the process, so keep in mind they're a one time use. Don't worry too much though, there are plenty of soul gems to go around!

As far as trapping souls, you'll have to either cast Soul Trap (a learnable spell) on an enemy before killing them or have a weapon enchanted with Soul Trap and use it to kill something. Some vendors also have charged soul gems for purchase.

SolidSnakeUS 03-04-2012 10:29 PM

I even have a crap load of mods installed to it too and I've played it for like an hour :laugh:.

Aquin001 on Ice 03-04-2012 10:37 PM

This may seem like a noob question, but how the **** do I get dragons to land? Every time I encounter one, it just flies in endless loops around me until I get bored and leave the area, continuing with my quest.

seemsayin 03-04-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice (Post 45531473)
This may seem like a noob question, but how the **** do I get dragons to land? Every time I encounter one, it just flies in endless loops around me until I get bored and leave the area, continuing with my quest.

You need to continue the story and get dragonrend or just hope it lands long enough to kill it

Corto 03-05-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 45527641)
I played the game for about an hour then stopped. I have co-op Saints Row The Third to play. Just bought Alan Wake for the PC. Mass Effect 3 is coming out Tuesday. And still playing Battlefield 3 and NHL 12. So yeah, not a lot of time.

Alan Wake is awesome.
ME3 will probably be great for fans of the franchise (it lost me at ME2, I want an RPG to be an RPG and not a shooter).
BF3 is great and NHL is NHL.

That said, IMO drop everything and just play Skyrim.

It is the single best game I've played in the last 10 years.
Easily.

76ftw 03-05-2012 02:18 AM

I just started really playing this two weeks ago or so. I left my copy at home after Christmas by accident and just picked it up a few weeks ago.

Finished the Thieves Guild already and am now working on Dark Brotherhood. Insane game.

Habitat 03-05-2012 02:38 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't use fast travel during quests? Exploring the game from quest to quest is like the best part of the game

Osprey 03-05-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice (Post 45531473)
This may seem like a noob question, but how the **** do I get dragons to land? Every time I encounter one, it just flies in endless loops around me until I get bored and leave the area, continuing with my quest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's probably not actually engaging you. When it engages you, a red indicator appears on your compass and the music changes to a battle piece. If you don't see the red indicator or hear the music change, then you're still too far away from the object or area that it's guarding. Try to determine in which direction it's spending most of its time flying and head that way. Also, if you're in the lowlands (i.e. not in the mountains), keep an eye out for those large, circular mounds that litter the landscape, as those are the objects that the dragons are tied to and getting anywhere near those will trigger the dragon overhead to engage you. Once it does, it's usually not long before it lands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitat (Post 45535867)
Am I the only one who doesn't use fast travel during quests?

No, I was the same way for most of my game, too. Feeling the size of the world by traveling "manually" and exploring it and letting myself get side-tracked was a big deal of the fun. Eventually (after 1.5 months and I'd visited most of the map), though, the fun of that wore out and the distance and time got really tedious and I started to fast travel a lot. So, enjoy the game while you can resist fast traveling, but I suspect that you'll be happy to have it, eventually.

whiplash 03-05-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice (Post 45531473)
This may seem like a noob question, but how the **** do I get dragons to land? Every time I encounter one, it just flies in endless loops around me until I get bored and leave the area, continuing with my quest.

Man, I get to be useful twice in a 24 hour period!



I had this problem too, long before I got Dragonrend. You gots to be slightly patient and also run to a flat(ter) area nearby. Dragons have a tendency to land on buildings, small rock outcroppings or just flat land. If you encounter them on a slope or amongst tall rock rocks/ice cliffs they'll only just fly around and blast you with passovers, which is annoying if you're like me and don't use magic outside of your shouts (and sometimes it just doesn't happen so once I had to kill a dragon by waiting for it to hover over me, block it's breath with the shield Spellbreaker and then hit it with Fire Breath. ****ing took forever)

cynicism 03-05-2012 10:01 AM

So I've thoroughly enjoyed this and the last two Fallout games. Are there any other RPG's out there that I you'd recommend? My brother's massively into Mass Effect but the scope of those games is quite intimidating. Are the ME games hard to get into?

Epoch 03-05-2012 12:48 PM

Who did everyone choose to sacrifice in Boethiah's Calling?

Joseppi 03-05-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynicism (Post 45540793)
So I've thoroughly enjoyed this and the last two Fallout games. Are there any other RPG's out there that I you'd recommend? My brother's massively into Mass Effect but the scope of those games is quite intimidating. Are the ME games hard to get into?

Mass Effect is very easy to get into, and has a heavy action element. Great combat system. The second one actually gives most of the back story if you missed the first one, so it's fairly easy to jump into the series.

As far as another RPG to recommend, if you can look past the blocky graphics and outdated quest log, Morrowind (the 3rd elder scrolls game) is definitely worth checking out. You'd be amazed at how much you'll learn about the world of Nirn in that game (and the leveling system doesn't suck nearly as much as Oblivion's).

Franck 03-05-2012 01:21 PM

Any rumours of DLC's yet?

whiplash 03-05-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epoch (Post 45547945)
Who did everyone choose to sacrifice in Boethiah's Calling?

I just murdered all the cultists :D Boethiah was pissed but still wanted me to do the quest. Still haven't, I don't like the way he talks down to me


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.