HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1127175)

Elvs 03-05-2012 10:48 AM

Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth
 
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-nhl-kontrakt/

Quote:

Viktor Fasth is in all likelyhood lost for Swedish Ice Hockey.
According to Expressen's sources, the Swedish Elite League's biggest star will recieve a one way-contract from the Anaheim Ducks in the NHL, which is exactly what the AIK goaltender wants.

"I know that there are teams that has expressed interest in me, but the step from interest to a contract offer is pretty big", Fasth says.

Last season, Viktor Fasth made sure that league newcomer AIK suprised everyone and reached the semifinals. He also took team Sweden to a World Championship Silver medal and was also awarded with Guldpucken (same as the NHL's Hart Trophy but for the SEL and the National team).

After that, many NHL teams offered him two way contracts. But Fasth declined the offers, as he was expecting his first child and wanted a one way contract, as an insurance that the club would have faith in him.

This season he has once again showed that he's the best goalie and the biggest star of the Swedish Elite League. And the continued success has made him coveted among NHL teams again.

According to sources to Expressen, many teams have shown interest and Anaheim is one of the front runners.
According to those sources, the Ducks are going to offer Fasth a one way deal after this season.

"I know that there are teams that has expressed interest in me, but the step from interest to a contract offer is pretty big. I have a contract with AIK next season and right now that's all it is", Fasth says.

His current contract with AIK forces teams of the KHL to buy him if they are interested. However, signed SEL-players are free to go to the NHL prior to june 15th if that's what they want.

Because of Anaheims strong interest, it would have to take a complete turnaround either from the club or from Fasth for the goalie to stay with AIK beyond this season. If he doesn't choose Anaheim, chances are big that some other club will come with an enticing offer.

"My dream is still the NHL, but right now my focus is with AIK and at the playoffs. All these kind of things will have to wait until after the season", Viktor Fasth says.
Player profile:

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

Quote:

A quick, technical goaltender with excellent instincts. Calm, mentally strong and has no real weaknesses. Plays a hybrid style with a mix of stand-up and butterfly. Latebloomer.
This guy is just way too good for the SEL. He's like the Tim Thomas of Sweden, a late bloomer. I have no doubts that he would make an excellent NHL backup, and maybe even more than that.

So according to the story, the only chance of him not ending up in Anaheim is if some other NHL team offers him a one way-deal as well, or if the Ducks withdraws theirs.

quentez 03-05-2012 11:14 AM

Has put up some really great numbers in SEL and on the international level.

Elvs 03-05-2012 11:29 AM

This was made after last season:


Vipers31 03-05-2012 11:34 AM

I would be delighted if we could sign him, but I would be surprised, as well. There are quite a few teams out there that have more of a need, and that should be willing to take the relatively limited risk of giving him a one-way deal, while giving him a better shot at a starting role.

snarktacular 03-05-2012 11:47 AM

He seems old and good enough that he should probably be backup right away, with a chance for #1 soon. While we don't really have a backup (Ellis is expiring and JDD sucks), Hiller is in his prime now, and is playing a lot of games.

It just doesn't seem like a fit. Well not good enough of a fit that other teams wouldn't offer more, anyways. Plus there's Tarkki.

mightyquack 03-05-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers31 (Post 45544609)
I would be delighted if we could sign him, but I would be surprised, as well. There are quite a few teams out there that have more of a need, and that should be willing to take the relatively limited risk of giving him a one-way deal, while giving him a better shot at a starting role.

It will be interesting. For Anaheim it would depend on what they do with Ellis+Taarki and to a lesser degree, JDD.

snarktacular 03-05-2012 12:19 PM

I keep seeing his name and thinking of this guy.

http://www.thefilteredlens.com/wp-co...kham_zsasz.jpg

Sojourn 03-05-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 45546657)
I keep seeing his name and thinking of this guy.

http://www.thefilteredlens.com/wp-co...kham_zsasz.jpg

You missed my call, Batman.

Finnpin 03-05-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentez (Post 45543643)
Has put up some really great numbers in SEL and on the international level.

I remember seeing one bad game where he couldn't catch anything and I was like why the hype...but it was just one game. There's potential for sure but one way contract right away might be risky. We got Tarkki for example on two way contract when he came over though Fasth has more merits.

Anaheim is trying to become Detroit...swedes, swedes, swedes :sarcasm:

DuckJet 03-05-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnpin (Post 45547591)
I remember seeing one bad game where he couldn't catch anything and I was like why the hype...but it was just one game. There's potential for sure but one way contract right away might be risky. We got Tarkki for example on two way contract when he came over though Fasth has more merits.

Anaheim is trying to become Detroit...swedes, swedes, swedes :sarcasm:

Wouldn't shock me if we drafted Filip Forsberg. Not one bit. Like I even expect Murray to take him if Galchenyuk and Trouba are available.

But I don't see why this would be a bad thing. Especially if we could sign him for all of next season. If Hiller was this good playing this many games, imagine how good he could be with proper rest if Fasth is as good as he seems.

If we were to go long term with a European goalie I would've like Leonardo Genoni. Look at his stats. He plays for the same team Hiller did and his stats were practically identical. Some Davos fans argue that he's better than Hiller was.

Tw149 03-05-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnpin (Post 45547591)
I remember seeing one bad game where he couldn't catch anything and I was like why the hype...

To be fair the other team was just too damn awesome :laugh:

JabbaJabba 03-05-2012 01:33 PM

http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/viktor_fasth.jpg

Sorry I had to :laugh:. Cool if the rumor is true.

ares89 03-05-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 45549385)
Wouldn't shock me if we drafted Filip Forsberg. Not one bit. Like I even expect Murray to take him if Galchenyuk and Trouba are available.

But I don't see why this would be a bad thing. Especially if we could sign him for all of next season. If Hiller was this good playing this many games, imagine how good he could be with proper rest if Fasth is as good as he seems.

If we were to go long term with a European goalie I would've like Leonardo Genoni. Look at his stats. He plays for the same team Hiller did and his stats were practically identical. Some Davos fans argue that he's better than Hiller was.


From the swiss league, i think berra might be the better choice (genoni is pretty small). Without him Biel would not be in the playoffs.

Fallenity 03-05-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JabbaJabba (Post 45549993)
http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/viktor_fasth.jpg

Sorry I had to :laugh:. Cool if the rumor is true.

That came out after the WC finals between Finland and Sweden, right? I remember seeing the same picture except with Lassila after a bad game in the prelims

JabbaJabba 03-05-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallenity (Post 45552491)
That came out after the WC finals between Finland and Sweden, right? I remember seeing the same picture except with Lassila after a bad game in the prelims

Nope, this is Lassila.
http://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/..._813401945.jpg

Fallenity 03-05-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JabbaJabba (Post 45552791)

True, he redeemed himself! Ahh, Finnish WC hockey...

http://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/.../815722042.jpg

Markus078 03-05-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ares89 (Post 45550885)
From the swiss league, i think berra might be the better choice (genoni is pretty small). Without him Biel would not be in the playoffs.

That was the first I thought about Fasth too. He is 6.00, usually the Ducks prefer bigger goalies.

Ducks DVM 03-05-2012 04:00 PM

So, cutting Tarkki loose?

He was a 1 year deal, right?

Sirquacksalot 03-05-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallenity (Post 45553233)
True, he redeemed himself! Ahh, Finnish WC hockey...

http://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/.../815722042.jpg

Go retarded lion!

Vipers31 03-05-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 45549385)
If we were to go long term with a European goalie I would've like Leonardo Genoni. Look at his stats. He plays for the same team Hiller did and his stats were practically identical. Some Davos fans argue that he's better than Hiller was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus078 (Post 45554525)
That was the first I thought about Fasth too. He is 6.00, usually the Ducks prefer bigger goalies.

Everybody does, and for good reason. They still use the "can't teach size" phrase for skaters, and well, it's far more important for goalies. I was surprised to see that Fasth actually isn't bigger than that, as he plays a lot taller. Really liked his style from what I saw. Really not that sure about Genoni, but I've seen even less from him. That size is quite a bit to overcome. Not saying it's impossible, as it's just a tad smaller than Enroth and Halak (given the numbers I have), but it's a long shot. Fasth definitely seems to be the safer pick, especially short- and mid-term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 45549385)
If Hiller was this good playing this many games, imagine how good he could be with proper rest if Fasth is as good as he seems.

Unfortunately, you can't really project things to work that way. Hiller always wanted to play many games, including back-to-backs, of which he had many in Switzerland, as well. It's not necessarily a huge problem for a goalie, and when it isn't, it often helps them. The additional exhaustion that may be there some days can well be countered by the plus of having that rhythm. Not saying it can't be a plus (it obviously can), but as long as Hiller is playing well, we can't really expect him to be better by being given more nights off. But as a team, you certainly want to be in a situation where you can give him a night off once in a while, just to help the chance that your number one can maintain that quality play for longer.

JabbaJabba 03-05-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 45557197)
So, cutting Tarkki loose?

He was a 1 year deal, right?

That would be so lame, he hasn't had a real chance with the big club yet :shakehead. Although, it's just a rumor so far.

LizardKing1 03-05-2012 07:14 PM

Dont know about Tarkkis contract atm, but If their going to give up on Tarkki without ever giving him a proper change in the ducks as a 2nd goalie, then im pissed.

And bringing in how? Viktor Fasth :cry:

Spicy Porkins 03-05-2012 07:46 PM

It'd make for fun Kings games. Sort of. The answer to the eternal question, is it better to be Quick, or Fasth?

Also, since we're interested in this guy, isn't this right about the time that Burke should look at poaching him?

ShadowDuck 03-05-2012 07:59 PM

Unless Tarkki is looking for a one-way deal, I see no reason why the Ducks wouldn't bring him back.

JabbaJabba 03-06-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardKing1 (Post 45565745)
Dont know about Tarkkis contract atm, but If their going to give up on Tarkki without ever giving him a proper change in the ducks as a 2nd goalie, then im pissed.

And bringing in how? Viktor Fasth :cry:

Yes. Anaheim is Finnish team not Swedish :rant:.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.