HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: Litmus Test Tonight (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1128155)

BobbyJet 03-06-2012 11:53 AM

Litmus Test Tonight

As many of you know, I, and others, have been harping all year about how soft this team plays. I was hoping that Stan could pick up at least 2 gritty players at the TD which unfortunately didnít happen. The team has shown some feistiness lately, albeit against some rather mild mannered teams mind you, but it was nice to see more grit in their game. I look at tonightís game as a good barometer of how we will do down the stretch, against a very physical and grinding Blues team. It is pretty much a guarantee that Blues will try and run us out of the building tonight (as usual). The Hawk team will likely need to play some blue collar type hockey tonight to pull out a win. Can they do it and stay disciplined is the question? Comments?

Blue Liner 03-06-2012 11:56 AM

Agree with your assessment of the match-up on all counts. Don't really have much to add. Always a tough go inside that building against that team. This game definitely serves as an interesting barometer given all the factors, in my opinion.

coldsteelonice84 03-06-2012 12:00 PM

They'll get mashed. Hopefully they play good enough to get at least a point.

SugarKane88 03-06-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 45599919)
They'll get mashed. Hopefully they play good enough to get at least a point.

Yeah, I don't see them coming out with a win. Hope I'm wrong though.

slappipappi 03-06-2012 12:20 PM

We beat them 3-1 about 10 days ago.

DirkGraham 03-06-2012 12:24 PM

I see a tight victory tonight. They looked much better last game and their confidence should be pretty high right now. Besides, Hossa and Kane have been playing really well with each other lately. I see them getting on the score sheet a couple times again tonight.

Illinihockey 03-06-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slappipappi (Post 45601059)
We beat them 3-1 about 10 days ago.

And 5-2 a few months ago. Screw the Blues.

BronYrAur 03-06-2012 12:26 PM

Don't really agree with the premise of this thread at all. We've already played the Blues 3 times and won twice, 1 of which was on the road. All of a sudden this game is more important? I suppose you could argue it is important to see if this Hawks team can compete with STL without Toews. But...to me, no more important than any of the other three games. Thought the last two wins vs. St. Louis were pretty impressive, myself....

coldsteelonice84 03-06-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronYrAur (Post 45601467)
Don't really agree with the premise of this thread at all. We've already played the Blues 3 times and won twice, 1 of which was on the road. All of a sudden this game is more important? I suppose you could argue it is important to see if this Hawks team can compete with STL without Toews. But...to me, no more important than any of the other three games. Thought the last two wins vs. St. Louis were pretty impressive, myself....

They can't keep taking steps back after having a few good games, especially against a team they are in the race with.

Illinihockey 03-06-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 45601519)
They can't keep taking steps back after having a few good games, especially against a team they are in the race with.

Its the regular season, most teams take a few steps back after a long winning streak. A step back is to be expected when a team is playing without their 1st line center and their 3rd and 4th defensemen. What they can't do is go on another 4 or 5 game skid. Just think, if that Hawks had merely a bad road trip 3-6, instead of a historically bad roat trip 0-9, they'd be 4 points out of first in the division and 5 out of leading the conference.

BobbyJet 03-06-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronYrAur (Post 45601467)

With the intensity turned up, virtually every game we play from here on in will be playoff-like hockey.... and Blues have been playing playoff hockey since Hitch took over. Maybe they'll burn themselves out. But the point is, Hawks need to win against physical teams and most games will be quite physical from now on.

DayNah 03-06-2012 12:50 PM

Hopefully Bickell keeps up his physical play. Really been nice to see the past couple of games. Also like having Bollig in the line up.

Illinihockey 03-06-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayNah (Post 45602793)
Hopefully Bickell keeps up his physical play. Really been nice to see the past couple of games. Also like having Bollig in the line up.

Bollig, Shaw, Mayers, Hayes, Bickell....the Hawks have plenty of big bodies to bang with the Blues if need be.

Steve Larmer 03-06-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinihockey (Post 45603159)
Bollig, Shaw, Mayers, Hayes, Bickell....the Hawks have plenty of big bodies to bang with the Blues if need be.

Came here to basically post this. Though I wouldn't call Shaw a big body, I know what you mean - he actually plays physical consistently which I love.

I'm interested to see how Bollig handles himself and his role tonight. Hopefully he can play with an edge, make some hits and stay out of the box. Definitely looking forward to this one.

DayNah 03-06-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Larmer (Post 45603373)
I'm interested to see how Bollig handles himself and his role tonight. Hopefully he can play with an edge, make some hits and stay out of the box. Definitely looking forward to this one.

It's his hometown debut so I imagine he's going to give it 110%. Hopefully doesn't cause him to take some dumb penalties.

Steve Larmer 03-06-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayNah (Post 45603443)
It's his hometown debut so I imagine he's going to give it 110%. Hopefully doesn't cause him to take some dumb penalties.

Wow that's right, forgot about that. He's going to be pumped up for sure.

Illinihockey 03-06-2012 01:19 PM

Bollig and Reaves had a really good fight in the AHL 2 years ago. Bet we see another one tonight. Or he'll go with Crombeen. I was actually shocked he and Konopka didn't go in Ottowa, there was quite a bit of jawing going back and forth.

RayP 03-06-2012 01:57 PM

Part of me wishes Scott were here, just for this one game, to get revenge on that ***** Reaves.

xX Hot Fuss 03-06-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Liner (Post 45599713)
Agree with your assessment of the match-up on all counts. Don't really have much to add. Always a tough go inside that building against that team. This game definitely serves as an interesting barometer given all the factors, in my opinion.

It seems strange that a team with 67 games played is still finding its identity.

I'm bored of St. Louis. The Hawks already have proven that despite their defensive struggles they can best them in a 7 game series

UsernameWasTaken 03-06-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 45606501)
It seems strange that a team with 67 games played is still finding its identity.

I'm bored of St. Louis.
The Hawks already have proven that despite their defensive struggles they can best them in a 7 game series

I find them one of the most boring teams to watch.

Prediction: Hawks 2-1

Blue Liner 03-06-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

I'm bored of St. Louis. The Hawks already have proven that despite their defensive struggles they can best them in a 7 game series

It sucks, but the fact is, as inconsistent as this team has been they don't have an identity. Actually, they have one but don't consistently play to it. We know what this team is and what it's capable of, that team just doesn't always show up. In a game against a division rival at a point in the season where every game's points absolutely count (and you're trying to keep a winning streak going) even this far into a season I consider it a gut check type of game. But then, as I said, almost every game from here on out is one of those. That's the position this team put themselves in and they have to deal with that intensity from here on out.

DisgruntledHawkFan 03-06-2012 02:38 PM

Just another potential two points.

99 steps 03-06-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

It's a Ken Hitchcock team. What did you expect?

BronYrAur 03-06-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 45608125)
Just another potential two points.

Exactly. If they lose, it's certainly a less "important" loss than the games they gave away to LA and Dallas recently. Those games were far more important in the playoff race the Hawks are currently in.

Who cares if you can beat playoff teams like the Wings and Blues if you don't make the playoffs?

bulletwwings 03-06-2012 03:01 PM

The blues are a defensive heavy team if the hawks can score 3 or more its a victory tonight...if they had Steen this might be a different story of course we can say the same about Toews...btw anyone gonna be there tonight? I will be I know half the arena will be Hawks fans so I figured I'd ask...