HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Heater Appreciation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1128587)

Jbcraig1883 03-06-2012 09:32 PM

Heater Appreciation

When I saw Heater score 4 goals (or was it more) during an all-star game in the early 2000s, I became a fan. Then came the incident in Atlanta. Then came the incident in Ottawa.

When he was traded here, I thought that we were getting someone who could score goals but was someone that was not going to show up. I was worried that his reputation (by the media) could be detrimental to the Wild locker room.

Out of all the ups and downs of this season, I have to give props to Heater. He has shown up as much as anyone else, if not more. Is he still a 40-50 goal scorer? No. Is he past his prime? Most likely. But, he still has a hell of a shot, good hockey sense, and has not done anything to lead us to believe that he is a cancer to a hockey team.

I hope that health and more skill next year will allow Heater to get to 30-35 goals and 70 points, expectations that I do not think are unrealistic.

Avder 03-06-2012 09:52 PM

Heater is just about the only player on this years squad, excluding the players who just came in via trades, who I still have any remaining respect for.

llamapalooza 03-06-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 45642813)
Heater is just about the only player on this years squad, excluding the players who just came in via trades, who I still have any remaining respect for.

Mostly agreed, but I haven't lost any respect for the 3 players sitting out because of cheapshots.

forthewild 03-06-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 45642813)

spurgie is there too.

puckguy11 03-06-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 (Post 45638761)
Out of all the ups and downs of this season, I have to give props to Heater. He has shown up as much as anyone else, if not more. Is he still a 40-50 goal scorer? No. Is he past his prime? Most likely. But, he still has a hell of a shot, good hockey sense, and has not done anything to lead us to believe that he is a cancer to a hockey team.

Honestly, that's what I thought Heater would be as well, but he comes in every night, does what he can, and does it without complaint. That's enough to earn my respect.

Minnesota 03-06-2012 10:21 PM

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upl...108167_std.jpg

So good.

Victorious Secret 03-06-2012 10:43 PM

Still don't know how the league have the audacity to name a mid-year game after him with all the best players and not invite him.

SphinX 03-07-2012 02:30 AM

I was super-happy the day i read the newss on wild.com

We got rid of a whiner and added a guy that was suppose to be aswell but has shown that age does mature people..

Sure, he is not the 50 g guy anymore, but i frickin love him anyway.

Jarick 03-07-2012 10:30 AM

Was really excited when he came here. He's been pretty "meh" for me so far. Another player that doesn't seem to fit. But he seems like a nice guy.

BHoke23 03-07-2012 10:39 AM

Heatley seems to be a good guy so far. I thought when the team started tanking he would immediately be asking to be traded off giving his past history haha. But he hasn't done that and has adapted to the system. I think for him to be successful offensively he needs to be set up in the offensive zone with a playmaker setting him up...too bad we are never in the offensive zone for more than 2 seconds

Mumbler* 03-07-2012 10:46 AM

Totally agree with this thread. Heater has continued to work on both ends. too bad there isn't anyone playing with him.

Al Lagoon 03-07-2012 06:46 PM

Quite possibly the Wild's MVP this season. I like the effort he displays even when the Wild are getting smoked.

GopherState 03-07-2012 06:47 PM

He's been a bright spot in an otherwise abysmal last few weeks.

Mikael Granlund 03-07-2012 06:56 PM

It's always sweeter when it comes from Heater.

My buddy and I have become serious Heatley fans over the past three months. I'd love to see him stay in a Minnesota sweater for a long time, so long as he keeps playing good hockey.

WildisLaw 03-07-2012 07:25 PM

Solid trade by Fletch. Hopefully he doesn't demand a trade out of here. :laugh:

Dampland 03-07-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Lagoon (Post 45697129)
Quite possibly the Wild's MVP this season. I like the effort he displays even when the Wild are getting smoked.

Agree 100%

I never had any illusions that Heater was going to come in and scorer 50 goals. Heck I even posted that I would be very happy with 30 goals from him. I NEVER expected to see him try as hard as he does away from the puck. I've been very surprised and pleased with his effort.

I just wish we could field a team around him.

Hopefully next year is a step in the right direction.

Thanks Heater, and GO BADGERS

SphinX 03-08-2012 09:34 AM

Funny coincidence;

Dany Heatley is after last game no longer a PPG guy statistical.

GP 736 G 345 A 390 TP 735

------------------------------------------------------

Not that it really matters.

Heater is :yo:

Spawnisen 03-08-2012 10:33 AM

He's still a pretty sweet goal scorer :)

Engebretson 03-08-2012 11:20 AM

I gotta admit, as much as I was glad to see Havlat leave, I had reservations about Heater. I figured if we sucked this year (check) he was going to float, pout and ask to be traded again.

So far, he's exceeded those expectations and put up respectable numbers for being put on a line with guys who should be on the 3rd line for most of the season.

I appreciate you Heater-man. ;)

Beegoalie 03-09-2012 01:55 AM

Wild's lone offensive threat throughout the season...too bad he has nobody to play with this year...Hopefully that can change next season..

Dudicles 03-09-2012 10:14 AM

It's really been interesting to see the kind of effort and attitude Heatley puts up every night, compared to what all the other fans were telling us to expect.

Dr Jan Itor 03-09-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudicles (Post 45788143)
It's really been interesting to see the kind of effort and attitude Heatley puts up every night, compared to what all the other fans were telling us to expect.

The majority of SJ fans had only good things to say about him, and they were the only ones I really paid attention to. The opinions of Ottawa fans are so tainted with unabashed hatred that I couldn't take them seriously.

I actually think there could still be a place for him on this team when his current contract is up.

nickschultzfan 03-09-2012 10:38 AM

Heatley has been great for us. It's everybody else who has sucked. [Looking at Setoguchi].

Puhis 03-09-2012 10:44 AM

Yeah, Seto hasn't lived up to my expectations at all. Heater's been a stud, though. He's been our MVP along with Spurgeon for the whole season, really.

Dudicles 03-09-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 45788323)
The majority of SJ fans had only good things to say about him, and they were the only ones I really paid attention to. The opinions of Ottawa fans are so tainted with unabashed hatred that I couldn't take them seriously.

I actually think there could still be a place for him on this team when his current contract is up.

There were a lot of neutral (non-Ottawa or Shark fans) that had nothing nice to say about him either. There were some Shark fans talking about lack of defensive effort/coasting, and I haven't seen that at all.

For the record, I was pumped to get him--past prime or not--and if he brings the same effort next year, I'd love for the Wild to re-sign him.