HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Playing "off-wing" on defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1128749)

Loyal2TheOil 03-06-2012 11:11 PM

Playing "off-wing" on defense

Hey guys,
I was just wondering how many of you play your "off-wing" on defense. I shoot right handed and occasionally I will move back to D and get paired with a right handed shot who plays the right side, so I end up playing the left side because I naturally play LW as a forward.

With that being said, does anyone have any tips/advice to make sure you aren't caught in a bad position such as trying to fight for the puck in the corner etc?

hyster110 03-06-2012 11:27 PM

realize everything is going to be on your backhand instead of your forehand, then adjust accordingly. thats really it.

noobman 03-06-2012 11:48 PM

I've always felt a little more comfortable on the off side playing defense.

The only thing I've really found easier on the on-side was moving the puck after immediately digging it out from the boards.

Everything else (breakout passes, one-timers, getting stick in lane) feels easier on the off-side (playing RD as a left shot). It's strange because on fwd I'm most comfortable at LW/C, but on D I struggle when I'm not on the right side.

Loyal2TheOil 03-07-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 45656693)
I've always felt a little more comfortable on the off side playing defense.

The only thing I've really found easier on the on-side was moving the puck after immediately digging it out from the boards.

Everything else (breakout passes, one-timers, getting stick in lane) feels easier on the off-side (playing RD as a left shot). It's strange because on fwd I'm most comfortable at LW/C, but on D I struggle when I'm not on the right side.

I couldn't agree with you more. The biggest challenge for me is when we are on the PK or in our own zone and I want to move the puck up the ice quickly. Its much more challenging to dig the puck out on your backhand and make a good pass to the forwards when you are battling with someone. When you have time and space though, I have no problem and making I prefer making a bank pass off the boards on the 'offwing'. The other one that gives me some trouble is when my partner is reversing the puck around the net in our own zone. I usually receive the pass from the right side on my forehand and if I need to go left and onto my backhand I find myself in a position where the puck is exposed with a straight lane to the net.

I guess I was more curious to hear any tricks anyone who regularly plays the off-wing does to quickly and efficiently receive passes, dig pucks and make a forehand play rather than a backhand play.

ReverendAlBundy 03-07-2012 05:58 AM

A huge thing to remember about defending on your off wing is it changes how you need to defend off the rush. It severely shortens your reach for anyone doing an inside move, because once they get by you have to reach across your body to attempt any sort of stick check. It also lessens your ability to drive forwards wide, since youre not able to pressure them with your body in front of them and stick beside them. Basically you have to step up and attempt poke checks right around the blue line before they make a move, or just keep good gap and play the body once they cut inside.

Loyal2TheOil 03-07-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere (Post 45668799)
A huge thing to remember about defending on your off wing is it changes how you need to defend off the rush. It severely shortens your reach for anyone doing an inside move, because once they get by you have to reach across your body to attempt any sort of stick check. It also lessens your ability to drive forwards wide, since youre not able to pressure them with your body in front of them and stick beside them. Basically you have to step up and attempt poke checks right around the blue line before they make a move, or just keep good gap and play the body once they cut inside.

Yah I've noticed this from previous experience. the one thing that I really like about playing the off wing though, is that I find I negate many attempts of players cutting to the middle because my stick is always right by the puck when they attempt to move to the front and if they simply put it to a soft spot, then I'm on my forehand and can easily recover the puck. In most cases the guy will attempt to go wide on me and I am able to maintain position and deny him to cut to the net and force him into the corner. It's just that when I am in the corner, I have to fight for the puck on my backhand which puts me at bit of a disadvantage

Ozz 03-07-2012 09:50 PM

I prefer to be on my off side whenever I assume the defensive position. I shoot R, so being on LD allows me to have my forehand towards center ice. We're a team who doesn't usually allow much to come through the center, forcing them down through the circles to bad angles at best. The only thing is to not get caught flat-footed or jump to attack too soon or you'll blown away and have a weak backhand to try to do anything about it.

OpenIceHit42 03-07-2012 11:27 PM

I play the left side as a RH dman. I like the left because I have a heavy shot and IMO I get better shooting angles from the left then I do on the right.

bigbadbruins1 03-08-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyal2TheOil (Post 45653007)
Hey guys,
I was just wondering how many of you play your "off-wing" on defense. I shoot right handed and occasionally I will move back to D and get paired with a right handed shot who plays the right side, so I end up playing the left side because I naturally play LW as a forward.

With that being said, does anyone have any tips/advice to make sure you aren't caught in a bad position such as trying to fight for the puck in the corner etc?

I generally play the off side, shooting left but playing right. I find it easiest going into the corner knowing where you plan to go with the puck. Also its good to make sure your partner gives you the open pass behind the net, as throwing it behind the net to your partner on your forehand is a lot easier than making a risky backhand up the boards to your winger. If you are strong on the body/ stick I find that pinning your forechecker to the boards and battling for the puck is also a good option, as if you generally win those battles you can move the puck forward and take that forechecker out of the play.

Other than that... working on passing and recieving passes on your backhand... the puck tends to "explode" off your backhand a lot easier than forehand.