HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Want to start playing Hockey again.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1128919)

evilmishi 03-07-2012 03:10 AM

Want to start playing Hockey again....

As the thread states: I want to start playing hockey again.

but it isnt easy as, get some equipment and start playing.

Last time I played was over 10 years ago, and during that time I have had two knee surgeries (acl reconstruction and a knee arthroscopic) both on the same knee.

When I did play, I felt most comfortable as a goalie and was thinking about getting back into the crease.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are, should I play net or be a skater?
Anyone in the same situation as I am?

Thanks for all your insight/input.

Mish

Lonny Bohonos 03-07-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmishi (Post 45667449)
As the thread states: I want to start playing hockey again.

but it isnt easy as, get some equipment and start playing.

Last time I played was over 10 years ago, and during that time I have had two knee surgeries (acl reconstruction and a knee arthroscopic) both on the same knee.

When I did play, I felt most comfortable as a goalie and was thinking about getting back into the crease.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are, should I play net or be a skater?
Anyone in the same situation as I am?

Thanks for all your insight/input.

Mish

Cool man.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. Hadn't played in like 12 years since I was 20 or so.

Hardest thing was all the muscles you use for skating that don't get used when skating. I was falling done a lot. Now I have no issues except that I'm a bad skater to begin with!

I'd start off doing a season playing as a skater before jumping into net. Getting your legs under you.

Before you get on the ice try to do some inline skating and some work in the gym to strengthen those skating muscles. Mainly the small support muscles in your hips etc

I too have shoddy knees though no surgery yet, so I get some pain. Get a skills pad and practice your stickhandling and shot.

MD Moose 03-07-2012 11:51 AM

I was in a similar situation. I played up until about age 30 then hung it up, and never even skated for 13 years. Just returned to playing a couple years ago and am very happy I did. Playing hockey will force you into getting into better shape than if you weren't playing, so that's one side benefit. But it did take a while for the level of skating to come back. I had to really focus on leg strength to get back to where I was with the skating, so I would do a lot of off ice stuff like squats, etc., and it helps. Still don't have the quickness that I had before but I suppose that's more age than anything and I never will. But it's a lot of fun and that's all that counts.

evilmishi 03-07-2012 04:10 PM

Thanks for the insight!

My girlfriend is an amazing skater, and we have been going to public skate at our local arena to help me get back into it.
I think the idea of being a skater for a few season sounds great, and then work my way back into the net.

Now I just need to work on my skating:P

Ozz 03-07-2012 04:19 PM

I did the same. Took 10 years off and got into bodybuilding. Put on a ton of weight and my "hockey legs" were no longer there. They were strong but they tired out very quickly out there. Skating hard and changing up my training a little bit took care of that. Just get out there and work on what you feel needs attention. I'd say if you push yourself to become a skater, getting back into net should be easy enough (reflexes and flexibility not included - haha)

AIREAYE 03-07-2012 06:36 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1091905

Enjoy!

pshort 03-07-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmishi (Post 45691025)
Thanks for the insight!

My girlfriend is an amazing skater, and we have been going to public skate at our local arena to help me get back into it.
I think the idea of being a skater for a few season sounds great, and then work my way back into the net.

Now I just need to work on my skating:P

That's really cool that your girl is supportive!

Next time at the rink, play a couple of games that will force you to do things while not thinking about them. A game of tag is unpredictable enough. It will force you to change directions quickly and do multiple manuvers. It might not be a bad idea to try to mimic her speed skating forward as you are skating backwards- kinda like mirror imaging her movements. It'll be a bunch of fun for both of you.

Wildturkey12 03-07-2012 08:27 PM

I took a 12 or 13 year break and jumped back into it head first. I signed up for a league before I even hit the ice again. I was a little shaky the first few games but then a lot of it came back to me. I am still nowhere near the level I was as a kid, which wasnt very good. :)

Like others said, I would come back out as a skater and get your feet back.

evilmishi 03-07-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshort (Post 45701075)
That's really cool that your girl is supportive!

Next time at the rink, play a couple of games that will force you to do things while not thinking about them. A game of tag is unpredictable enough. It will force you to change directions quickly and do multiple manuvers. It might not be a bad idea to try to mimic her speed skating forward as you are skating backwards- kinda like mirror imaging her movements. It'll be a bunch of fun for both of you.

yah, she's awesome:)

She used to teach power skating so she has been giving me tips and helping me with my stance.
she says im getting better, so I must be doing something right:P

Lonny Bohonos 03-07-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 45702203)
I took a 12 or 13 year break and jumped back into it head first. I signed up for a league before I even hit the ice again. I was a little shaky the first few games but then a lot of it came back to me. I am still nowhere near the level I was as a kid, which wasnt very good. :)

Like others said, I would come back out as a skater and get your feet back.

Funny enough I'd say I'm a much better player now.

Not as fit and energy wise but as a total package a much better player.

Wildturkey12 03-08-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos (Post 45710089)
Funny enough I'd say I'm a much better player now.

Not as fit and energy wise but as a total package a much better player.

I would say I am a much smarter player now but I dont have the speed or the hands that I used to.

Lonny Bohonos 03-08-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 45715779)
I would say I am a much smarter player now but I dont have the speed or the hands that I used to.

I'd say I'm much smarter/patient and have better hands but maybe not as much speed and endurance.

Hard to say for sure with out some sort of objective data. But it's how it appears to me.

Wish I would have figures out the patience thing earlier!