HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   "Bloomington Native Tom Gilbert" 13 years ago... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1130769)

se7en 03-09-2012 12:23 PM

"Bloomington Native Tom Gilbert" 13 years ago...

Wow, 13 years ago.. Crazy to think about. haha Anyway, I think I mentioned it when we traded for him but I went to High School with Tommy G. Well last night when I was watching the Wild game I decided to bust out my old year book from Junior year.. I had my phone next to me so I decided to share...

These are from my Jefferson Yearbook in 1999:

The good old standard yearbook photo:
http://i42.tinypic.com/dmbuhf.jpg

The "What do you remember most about this last season" question:
http://i43.tinypic.com/5pixkm.jpg

And what trip down memory lane would be complete with out the old choir photo!?:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2lvmr7k.jpg

Mods, feel free to move this thread to somewhere else.. I was debating putting it on the Gilbert for Shultz thread but I figured it could be moved later..

rynryn 03-09-2012 12:28 PM

i guess a mullet pic was too much to hope for BNTG.

OpRedDawn* 03-09-2012 12:28 PM

awesome :)

se7en 03-09-2012 12:41 PM

oops I forgot one other one:

Team Pic:
http://i39.tinypic.com/148kjs.jpg

Dampland 03-09-2012 09:54 PM

Can we trade him to another non-playoff team for abag of pucks?

Avder 03-09-2012 10:03 PM

I think he just needs time to fit in better. Besides the teams been more or less shell shocked ever since he arrived.

forthewild 03-09-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dampland (Post 45821117)

BNTG is awesome, he played 33 ****ing minutes last night and was a plus player, give him time to get used to his teammates

Minnesota 03-10-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dampland (Post 45821117)

Yep, trade our best defenseman for Gilbert, then trade Gilbert for a bag of pucks. Makes sense. :sarcasm:

Fel 96 03-10-2012 01:19 AM

That's awesome.

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

forthewild 03-10-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 45826943)
Yep, trade our best defenseman for Gilbert, then trade Gilbert for a bag of pucks. Makes sense. :sarcasm:

we didn't trade spurgeon scandella or brodin, did i miss something?

Spawnisen 03-10-2012 09:03 AM

Do you remember how he was at all? Would be interesting to know :F

Dampland 03-10-2012 10:08 AM

Sorry, but until I see something impressive from Gilbert (which I have never seen in dozens of Wild/Oilers games, plus his recent games as a Wild) He will continue to be my scapegoat/whipping boy.

Minnesota 03-10-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 45829315)
we didn't trade spurgeon scandella or brodin, did i miss something?

If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dampland (Post 45832235)
Sorry, but until I see something impressive from Gilbert (which I have never seen in dozens of Wild/Oilers games, plus his recent games as a Wild) He will continue to be my scapegoat/whipping boy.

The same could be said about Foster, Scandella, Falk or Prosser. Take your pick.

Dee Oh Cee 03-10-2012 11:43 AM

I thought he played well against Phoenix....shrug.

a79krgm 03-10-2012 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Minnesota;45834919]If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?QUOTE]

I didn't like the trade because of those reasons. But, I'm thinking Fletcher is sending a message to the team that complacency will not be tolerated .. and lets face it Schultz was getting mighty complacent. I blame Nick for this because he could have performed better in my opinion. I bet he plays better in Edmonton now that het got a big kick in the a**s.

squidz* 03-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee (Post 45835017)
I thought he played well against Phoenix....shrug.

Played well? He played great against Phoenix, and that's before you factor in that he played over 30 minutes.

Dampland 03-10-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 45834919)
If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?

The same could be said about Foster, Scandella, Falk or Prosser. Take your pick.

Don't try to bring logic into this.

Boo Gilbert Boo!

rynryn 03-10-2012 04:04 PM

Not a Gilbert fan and still not sold that it was a good trade but he's been our best D. First night he sucked but has gotten steadily better since. To be expected as he's new here.

Surly Furious 03-10-2012 06:45 PM

My dad has an old parish directory with family photos that, if I could find it, I could post a pic of the Janaczak family, featuring Jim Craig's back-up Steve Janaczak of the Miracle on Ice generation. :)

651* 03-11-2012 10:34 AM

And to think I always was under the impression Bloomington Jeff had incredibly hot chicks...

:(

Cool photos though. Can't believe how wretched our haircuts were back then (yes, I was in HS at that time as well).

se7en 03-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawnisen (Post 45830741)
Do you remember how he was at all? Would be interesting to know :F

I honestly dont remember all that much... Sadly I don't remember all that much about high school in general, it's been too many years..

I do remember playing pick-up with him & a bunch of other guys a couple times at a park called Tarnhill in Bloomington but what I remember most is the ice being terrible there because they put the rinks over the parking lot so the ice got crappy quick. haha

I would be lying if I said I was good friends with him.. We knew each other & we got along but he wasnt in my grade & I really only ran into him occasionally & only skated with him a handful of times. I just remember him being a really nice kid & kind of shy in school.. I also kind of remember watching him play for our High School team but I wasnt focused on just his play or anything. I mean at that time he was just another kid on the team. I do remember once telling him "good goal!" & giving him a high five or a fist bump (whatever we did that was cool in the 90's haha) the day after a game back at school but thats about it..

One of my best friends was better friends with him so I remember hearing all about him getting drafted by the Avs. Oh and also, one of my best buddies that I moved to Cali with, his little brother & Gilbert's little brother went to the U of M together.. I remember when Tommy got his first contract with the Oilers, he bought his little bro a huge 50" flat screen for his dorm & the center ice package! (btw, back in 2005 or whatever a 50" flatscreen was a really awesome present. haha well it still is, but back then they cost twice as much!)

But sadly thats about all I remember.. I'm sure Im forgetting some times & I bet I played hockey with him more than I remember because we used to play pick-up all the time. I just only remember playing with him at Tarnhill Park for some reason... I'll call my one buddy that knew him better soon & see if I can get my memory jogged!

se7en 03-12-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 651 (Post 45887011)
And to think I always was under the impression Bloomington Jeff had incredibly hot chicks...

:(

Cool photos though. Can't believe how wretched our haircuts were back then (yes, I was in HS at that time as well).

hahaha we had our share of good looking girls. It would just appear that none of them were Sophmores that year with last names that started with "G". ;)

TheBusDriver 03-14-2012 07:23 PM

Gilbert is quality. He can play in all situations and log a lot of minutes. I know you guys will warm up to him, even if its not until next season.

Shultz has been decent for us so far, playing well defensively and also has 4 assists in 7 games with a +1 to boot

Gilbert has 1 assist in 8 games with a -2. Since his injury earlier this season he hasnt been quite the same and no doubt hes adjusting to Minnys system. I think hell come in next season and change some of your minds.

tomgilbertfan 03-14-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBusDriver (Post 46082939)
Gilbert is quality. He can play in all situations and log a lot of minutes. I know you guys will warm up to him, even if its not until next season.

Shultz has been decent for us so far, playing well defensively and also has 4 assists in 7 games with a +1 to boot

Gilbert has 1 assist in 8 games with a -2. Since his injury earlier this season he hasnt been quite the same and no doubt hes adjusting to Minnys system. I think hell come in next season and change some of your minds.

Gilbert's definitely looked better the last few games. If we had a half-way decent rest of the team and a healthy top-6 he'd be putting up some points. Not great in the D zone obviously but he's been looking good in the O-zone/working the puck up ice IMO.

Aerchon 03-15-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBusDriver (Post 46082939)

Depends which Gilbert you get. His contract year he was good with lots of potential. We signed him for too much money and the next few years he was without doubt the Oilers worst D-man. By far. Bar none. Scream in terror every time he touched the puck omfg bad. He could single handedly lose games for you regularly. This year before he got injured he looked really good. Worked with a shot coach over summer, came into camp in great shape. Was looking like he would finaly be worth his contract. From the time he came back from injury to when he was traded tho... looked much more like the bad Gilbert then the good.

Everything I have heard and seen about Shultz says the Oilers more than likely won this trade by a landslide. Steady reliable D-man. But if the good Gilbert shows up and sticks around... Minny will win in the end.

It's funny how there were alot of Gilbert fan boys who are quick to point out his strengths but can completley ignore multiple YEARS of being the worst d-man on the worst team in the NHL. The most common excuse is that Gilbert was pushed into the top pairing role too often and that playing against the oppositions top players makes it unreasonable to expect him to do well... Weak reasoning in my mind.

With Minny and the Oil doing so poorly I hope it works out for both teams.