HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hartford and Chalotte Defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=113195)

bmoak 11-11-2004 11:38 PM

Hartford and Chalotte Defense

Now that Tjutin and Kondratiev are definately relocating to the RSL, it's time to rethink the organizational blueline.

In Hartford, it could look like...

Pock/McMillan...offensive rookie with steady vet.
Lampman/Liffiton...play a similar style
Nycholat/Taylor...stay-at-home rookie with mobile partner

Plus..
Grenier (injured): Will replace Taylor on return?
Weller (reserve): Will play forward, but shift back in emergencies.

This makes things a little "interesting" in Charlotte as calling up Liffiton, Taylor, and MacIntyre basically strips the team of big physical defensemen. Right now, the Checkers D stands as follows....

Rory Rawlyk...solid at this level.
Chris Belanger...back from his extnended tour of the Swiss and Austrian leagues.
Dan Preston...small skilled vet
Ryan Glenn...1st year pro.
Kenton Smith...on 7-day IR and has played FW most of the year.

bmoak 11-11-2004 11:52 PM

And that's only 5 defensemen in Charlotte.

They've either gotta play the waiver wire or see if someone from Jacksonville can step up.

Prucha73 11-11-2004 11:57 PM

Lampman and Liffiton play similar style? I don't think so.

Prucha73 11-11-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak
And that's only 5 defensemen in Charlotte.

They've either gotta play the waiver wire or see if someone from Jacksonville can step up.

They might sign a couple of scrubs.

BDubinskyNYR17* 11-12-2004 11:30 AM

Maybe Rangers will sign this Ryan Glenn kid then. He is playing in Charlotte and has nice size and is young. I hope so.

bmoak 11-12-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Lampman and Liffiton play similar style? I don't think so.

Read complementary rahter than similar. I think both of their games are based on poise and anticipation, with Lampman being more offensive and Liffiton bieng more physical.

bmoak 11-12-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Maybe Rangers will sign this Ryan Glenn kid then. He is playing in Charlotte and has nice size and is young. I hope so.

I don't udnerstand what you mean. Whether the Rangers or Pack sign Glenn or not doesn't help the Checkers' roster woes, as he would be playing in Charlotte regardless.

Glenn has gotten decent reviews, but has been overshadowed by Liffiton and Taylor. Wilkinson must like him as he kept him instead of Clay Plume a good young tough defenseman to start the season.

bmoak 11-12-2004 04:52 PM

Some possiblities....

The small ECHL roster memans that once the season gets underway, it can be hard to find players to replace injured or called up ones. Charlotte basically has to hope that another team in the ECHL, CHL. or UHL cuts a defenseman and that he doesn't suck too bad... :cry:

Tyler "Big Ugly" Lawson was just cut by Missouri in the UHL. He was cut earlier by the Checkers after the Pack sent down Liffiton and Taylor. He's a huge fearsome fighter but not much a defenseman and is also very undisciplined (He jumped off the bench to start a melee in a Checkers PRESEASON game.)

As for Jacksonville, I thought of posting on their board, but they haven't played their home opener yet, so no one will have seen them. As it is, the Cudas seem more suited for supplying forwards (Mike Wirll and possibly Greg LeColst ) than defenseman.

Here are the 'Cudas prospect-aged defensemen.
Billy Rochefort
Tony Gliniany
Liam McCarthy

Unfortunately, it's impossible to evaluate defensive D-men based on stats.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-12-2004 04:56 PM

Maybe Ottawa has a prospect that needs time in the ECHL?

Son of Steinbrenner 11-12-2004 05:04 PM

Jake Taylor is the real deal and i predict people will be happy about his play in hartford by the end of the year.

Kovy274Hart 11-12-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Jake Taylor is the real deal and i predict people will be happy about his play in hartford by the end of the year.

Have you seen him play to say this?

Son of Steinbrenner 11-12-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Have you seen him play to say this?

i saw him play last year and i talked him up then too. i haven't seen him play this season but from his stats and the little i have read he has impressed. i think he is a future top 4 defenseman but i know i am in the minority when i say that.

BDubinskyNYR17* 11-12-2004 10:50 PM

Quote:

i saw him play last year and i talked him up then too. i haven't seen him play this season but from his stats and the little i have read he has impressed. i think he is a future top 4 defenseman but i know i am in the minority when i say that.

I think Jake Taylor can either be as good as Mark Tinordi who he has been compared too or a solid 5th 6th dman like Brad Brown. Im shocked Sather let him go for nothing. At least he plays the body and is physical something our d has lacked for a long time.

Kovy274Hart 11-12-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

Cool. Thanks for the report. Hopefully, Taylor will get his chance with Hartford to show what he can do.

bmoak 11-16-2004 06:24 AM

Well, Steve MacIntyre was sent back down to Charlotte, so that helps a little.

Is Juris Stals in Hartford? he's not on the Checkers' roster but I haven't seen any indication of him skating for the Pack.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-16-2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

Well, Steve MacIntyre was sent back down to Charlotte, so that helps a little.

Is Juris Stals in Hartford? he's not on the Checkers' roster but I haven't seen any indication of him skating for the Pack.

Stals was sent down early--I know he scored a couple of goals in the first game or two the Checkers' played (I remember cause I was pretty surprised since he's had so much trouble scoring in the AHL). Maybe he's hurt?

L.I.RangerFan 11-17-2004 08:06 AM

Stals was recalled on 11/10/04 by the Pack

Go to www.echl.com, click on transactions and then Charlotte and you will see

2004-11-10 JURIS STALS (LW) recalled to Hartford (AHL)

bmoak 11-17-2004 10:59 AM

I had read that Stals had been called up, but since there seemed to be no evidence of him playing in Hartford, I was wondering if he was actually there and healthy. Charlotte could actually kind of use him as they've been short players.

In other Checkers news (from checkersfan.com and echl.com) the Checkers called up 2 players from the SPHL...

FW Mike Wirll from the Jacksonville Jaguars (Pack property)
C Chris Ferguson from the Asheville Aces (2G1A3pts47PIM in 5GP) Looks to be a fesity fill-in for the inujured Brandon Cullen. He played last year in something called the EOSHL. Any idea what the heck that is? (Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League?)

It looks like my concerns about Charlotte D are unfounded since Kenton Smith is off IR and MacIntyre is back in the ECHL. That gives them 6 D (although Smith and Mac both were used mostly as wingers...)

Also, the Checkers beat Columbia 6-3 last night. Down 3-0 in the 3rd period, and replied with 6 straight goals. Hat trick for Falardeau, 2 goals for Rawlyk, 1 assist for Helminen. Multi-point games for vets Eddie Pershin and Mike Harder, who move into the top 5 ECHL scorers. Harder's scored a point in every Checkers game so far. Checkers fecord in now 7-2-1

True Blue 11-17-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I think Jake Taylor can either be as good as Mark Tinordi who he has been compared too or a solid 5th 6th dman like Brad Brown. Im shocked Sather let him go for nothing. At least he plays the body and is physical something our d has lacked for a long time.

First of all, there's a world of difference between Tinordi and Brown. Tinordi managed to get his game up to All-Star levels during several seasons. Brown was a physical, 3rd pairing defensemen. But his career cannot hold a candle to Tinonrdi's. What is it that makes you say that Taylor can be as good as Tinordi? Comparing people is one thing. Tinordi was able to overcome his skating deficiencies. Will Taylor be able to?

NYR469 11-17-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Stals was recalled on 11/10/04 by the Pack

Go to www.echl.com, click on transactions and then Charlotte and you will see

2004-11-10 JURIS STALS (LW) recalled to Hartford (AHL)

with lundmark returning and garth murray hopefully returning in the not to distant future, i doubt stals will be in hartford very long...they were starting to pile up the injuries so he was probably called up as insurance and now will be heading back to charlotte

Son of Steinbrenner 11-17-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

I had read that Stals had been called up, but since there seemed to be no evidence of him playing in Hartford, I was wondering if he was actually there and healthy. Charlotte could actually kind of use him as they've been short players.

In other Checkers news (from checkersfan.com and echl.com) the Checkers called up 2 players from the SPHL...

FW Mike Wirll from the Jacksonville Jaguars (Pack property)
C Chris Ferguson from the Asheville Aces (2G1A3pts47PIM in 5GP) Looks to be a fesity fill-in for the inujured Brandon Cullen. He played last year in something called the EOSHL. Any idea what the heck that is? (Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League?)

It looks like my concerns about Charlotte D are unfounded since Kenton Smith is off IR and MacIntyre is back in the ECHL. That gives them 6 D (although Smith and Mac both were used mostly as wingers...)

Also, the Checkers beat Columbia 6-3 last night. Down 3-0 in the 3rd period, and replied with 6 straight goals. Hat trick for Falardeau, 2 goals for Rawlyk, 1 assist for Helminen. Multi-point games for vets Eddie Pershin and Mike Harder, who move into the top 5 ECHL scorers. Harder's scored a point in every Checkers game so far. Checkers fecord in now 7-2-1

Falardeau is going to be a good pro he can skate and if he develops any offense he is going to be a great third line checking center.

Jake Taylor is a future top 4 defensemen and comparing him to tinordi is not a far fetched comparison

Kovy274Hart 11-17-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
First of all, there's a world of difference between Tinordi and Brown. Tinordi managed to get his game up to All-Star levels during several seasons. Brown was a physical, 3rd pairing defensemen. But his career cannot hold a candle to Tinonrdi's. What is it that makes you say that Taylor can be as good as Tinordi? Comparing people is one thing. Tinordi was able to overcome his skating deficiencies. Will Taylor be able to?

Not that anyone here is saying he'll be great. But at the forum the other night Maloney compared his style to Tinordi.

BDubinskyNYR17* 11-17-2004 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Not that anyone here is saying he'll be great. But at the forum the other night Maloney compared his style to Tinordi.

I heard JD mention times when they mentioned Taylor they mentioned Tinordi as well.

bmoak 11-17-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Falardeau is going to be a good pro he can skate and if he develops any offense he is going to be a great third line checking center.

Falareau isn't playing center down in Charlotte. He's playing RW on a line with Helminen and Eddie Pershin.

Kovy274Hart 11-17-2004 08:10 PM

RW Lee Falardeau Charlotte Checkers ECHL 7 4 2 6 5