HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick time questions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1132443)

TickleMeYandle 03-11-2012 05:39 PM

Stick time questions

I got my hockey skates today and I plan to try them out a couple of times this week. I'm not a total n00b to skating, as I did speedskating for a couple of years back from 2002-2004. I haven't been on the ice much since then but I did go on Friday with some rental hockey skates and it wasn't too bad. I worked on stopping, skating backwards, and just getting my balance back. Not going to try the crossovers yet, not until I trust my edges a bit more.

The rink where I skate has VERY limited public sessions - there is only one day a week that I can do those, and it can get kind of crowded. That's ok for some of the things I want to do, I can practice moving around lots of obstacles, having to stop suddenly, etc.

I've noticed that there are a ton of sticktime sessions that I could fit into my schedule - pretty much every single day has at least one that I could do. And there are also some pick-up game times that would fit in there down the road, once I actually have been skating with a stick a little bit.

To do sticktime, you have to be fully dressed with all protective gear. OK, fine. If that's the only way I can get on there, that may be what I need to do. But I'm nervous that I'll be the only one out there without a clue as to what I'm doing. I'd like to just kind of get used to skating with a stick, practice crossovers, etc. - nothing too fancy for the time being.

Is it common for new players to just show up with a stick and skate around, or is sticktime more for people to practice shooting, passing, etc? Would I be in the way if I'm just practicing my skating?

I had really hoped to take the hockey 101 class and then at least I'd know what I need to work on during my ice time. I don't know when that is going to be, though - last year it was during April but so far it hasn't been put on the schedule. They have loaner equipment for that class so I wouldn't have to shell out the $$$ right away. If that doesn't pan out, I'd still like to start playing. I'm pretty good at working on things on my own, if I have a little guidance. Would a private lesson or two be good in that case? If I have someone to show me what to do and give me some drills to practice when I'm at the rink, I can do it - I just need the initial help to get things started.

7toZulu 03-11-2012 05:48 PM

At least where I am from, Stick and Puck sessions are just a free for all, mostly people skating around and doing their own thing. Sometimes you'll get a coach and a few young players doing drills on one end of the ice, but for the most part you have time to do any and all practice stuff you want. Go check it out, it's a great way to ease into the game and get better before doing drop in.

TickleMeYandle 03-11-2012 06:32 PM

Do you think it's possible to learn the basics through watching videos and then practicing on the ice? I have absolutely no experience with any of it - how to get the equipment on, how to hold the stick, nothing. That's why I'm thinking it may be good to get a private lesson or two, just so I don't practice a bunch of stuff incorrectly.

Wildturkey12 03-11-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frackiewicz (Post 45907843)
Is it common for new players to just show up with a stick and skate around, or is sticktime more for people to practice shooting, passing, etc? Would I be in the way if I'm just practicing my skating?

Yes, sticktimes are for everyone. I have seen guys bring there buddies out with just shin pads on over their jeans who cant skate. Have fun.

IDuck 03-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frackiewicz (Post 45911735)
Do you think it's possible to learn the basics through watching videos and then practicing on the ice? I have absolutely no experience with any of it - how to get the equipment on, how to hold the stick, nothing. That's why I'm thinking it may be good to get a private lesson or two, just so I don't practice a bunch of stuff incorrectly.

im pretty sure you can find a video on youtube for just about anything....you have nothing to worry about and you can stop with the nervous feelings....1 thing you will learn very quick, is hockey players are almost a small family and very accepting of newbie's, go out there and get your feet wet and if you have questions ask the guys in the locker room or on the ice, they got you covered, guarentee it

Jive Time 03-11-2012 10:59 PM

Yep, sticktime is a great place for what you want. Talk to your local rink and find out when the least crowded times are. In my area this is early in the morning when it's pretty quiet. With all that open space you can really work on your skating.

It's good fun.