HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: THIS team with possible rule change (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1133089)

BrookswasHere44 03-12-2012 12:59 PM

THIS team with possible rule change

With rumors of a possible return of red line and two line pass do you feel this would hurt, help, or have little affect on the performance of this team.

No game till Thurs :/

Coach John McGuirk 03-12-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 (Post 45945947)
With rumors of a possible return of red line and two line pass do you feel this would hurt, help, or have little affect on the performance of this team.

No game till Thurs :/

I think it would hurt any team's transition play, especially ours. We're a quick transition team, and adding the red line would really hurt us. Teams have been used to no red line for almost a decade now, so why put it back in? It's not going to help reduce concussions.

Dumbest idea the big wigs have thought of in a long time.

AquaticBirdman 03-12-2012 01:09 PM

I HATE the idea of bringing back the red line, and I find it idiotic that they're even considering bringing it back! Do they honestly think it'll make that much of a different concerning the concussion dilemma?

AquaticBirdman 03-12-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk (Post 45946023)
I think it would hurt any team's transition play, especially ours. We're a quick transition team, and adding the red line would really hurt us. Teams have been used to no red line for almost a decade now, so why put it back in? It's not going to help reduce concussions.

Dumbest idea the big wigs have thought of in a long time.

They have to make it look like they're doing SOMETHING, no matter how pointless it is. 10 years from now they'll be looking to remove the red line once again when they start complaining about how slow and congested the game has become.

MtlPenFan 03-12-2012 01:13 PM

They won't bring back the red line, but even if they did, I don't see the harm in having Geno/Sid/Staal carrying the mail.

shureshot66 03-12-2012 01:23 PM

Putting the red line back in would affect the Pens a great deal. Disco loves the long pass to the boards at the attacking blue line where the puck gets chipped in behind the defense. That gets the forecheck and, in many ways, the offense started.

Coach John McGuirk 03-12-2012 01:30 PM

Changes I'd like to see:

OT format: 4 on 4 for 5 minutes, then 3 on 3 for 5 more, then a shootout if necessary
Instigator removed
Olympic-sized ice surface
No-touch icing
Penalties to both parties in questionable hits (i.e. turned away from a hit to draw a boarding call)

The last one is iffy. I know it'll never happen, but guys need to start being more responsible for the injuries that are occurring, some of which are brought on by themselves. Penalties for trying to draw a boarding call would help.

Jules Winnfield 03-12-2012 01:32 PM

Here's a newsflash to NHL Executives...

Outlaw ALL hits to the head. That will cut down on concussions.

66877168 03-12-2012 01:38 PM

Should have never taken the red line out. They would rather remove the red line than call obstruction and limit goalie pad size to increase scoring and now they want to bring back the red line to reduce concussions instead of banning headshots.
What kind of a league tampers with their product like this?
Removing the red line is like baseball doing away with foul balls.
Should be interesting to see how the NHL can sabotage itself next.

Shady Machine 03-12-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66877168 (Post 45947451)
Should have never taken the red line out. They would rather remove the red line than call obstruction and limit goalie pad size to increase scoring and now they want to bring back the red line to reduce concussions instead of banning headshots.
What kind of a league tampers with their product like this?
Removing the red line is like baseball doing away with foul balls.
Should be interesting to see how the NHL can sabotage itself next.

This is a strange post. Not really sure what you are trying to say and the bolded part is a pretty ridiculous statement to make.

Le Magnifique 66 03-12-2012 01:48 PM

as I mentioned earlier in another thread bringing back the red line will have no impact on big hits anyways. No concussion have really happened "because of the two line pass"

shureshot66 03-12-2012 01:50 PM

From early reports out of the GM meetings, there is little support for reinstating the red line. They need a majority to make the change and it doesn't sound like they are close.

Per Kevin Allen of USA Today, hybrid icing "has good traction" among GMs, for whatever that's worth.

OnMyOwn 03-12-2012 01:55 PM

Yea no touch icing is good. It's rare someone beats the d back to make an awesome play anyway, and its a chance for players to get hurt more than anything.

shureshot66 03-12-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnMyOwn (Post 45948091)
Yea no touch icing is good. It's rare someone beats the d back to make an awesome play anyway, and its a chance for players to get hurt more than anything.

Just to clarify -- the proposal isn't full-blown, automatic no-touch icing. The hybrid model puts the judgment squarely on the linesman to either blow the whistle immediately or hold off if he feels both teams have a shot at the puck.

SEALBound 03-12-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk (Post 45947183)
Changes I'd like to see:

OT format: 4 on 4 for 5 minutes, then 3 on 3 for 5 more, then a shootout if necessary
Instigator removed
No-touch icing
Penalties to both parties in questionable hits (i.e. turned away from a hit to draw a boarding call)

The last one is iffy. I know it'll never happen, but guys need to start being more responsible for the injuries that are occurring, some of which are brought on by themselves. Penalties for trying to draw a boarding call would help.

1. On the fence. 5 more minutes of 3 on 3? Hrmmmm...I don't the OT's the way they are. An extra 10 minutes potentially a game for a team is a lot.

2. Good in some ways, bad in others.

3. Love, love, love it

4. Love, love, love it

5. Too subjective on a moments notice. Refs miss a lot. I think that would be asking too much on their part.

Removing all head shots, love it. Make players responsible for their hits.

SterlingBennett 03-12-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shureshot66 (Post 45948203)
Just to clarify -- the proposal isn't full-blown, automatic no-touch icing. The hybrid model puts the judgment squarely on the linesman to either blow the whistle immediately or hold off if he feels both teams have a shot at the puck.

Hybrid icing, and a verification line are the things I would like to see.

Also a general refresher on the rule book is needed. Not to change any rules, but some of the language when used on todays game needs an updating to improve reffing.

SidTheKid8787 03-12-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 45947245)
Here's a newsflash to NHL Executives...

Outlaw ALL hits to the head. That will cut down on concussions.

Yea this. I don't see why this is so difficult to implement. I get that some contact to the head is incidental but so is high sticking and that gets called. Pretty easy to throw a set scale of penalties in for this which would start the players down a path of curbing headshots. The most embarassing thing for a player is taking a dumb penalty IN gameplay and getting burned. Fines and suspensions, post game, aren't the answer.

Same with icing. How hard is it to implement no touch icing. It's way safer and doesn't really hinder anything really. Hybrid shmy-brid i say. Someone said a college team got burned by a bad call off of one of these on the weekend. Last thing we need is another task for on-ice-officials where they use their judgement.

I'm ok with outlawing the hand pass in your own zones, though.

SidGenoMario 03-12-2012 02:13 PM

Why does a verification line not already exist? Seems like a no-brainer.

WickedWrister 03-12-2012 02:19 PM

Only rule change I care about is reducing the size of goaltender equipment as well as changing player equipment from a hard plastic to a PADDING.

Pens1566 03-12-2012 02:33 PM

Red line bit is stupid. Make the ice bigger, no touch icing, reduce goalie pads, get rid of the hard plastic armor worn on upper body by everyone but goalie, and ban all headshots.

billybudd 03-12-2012 02:36 PM

I think it would seriously wreck our entire breakout scheme (and that of any team that doesn't break out up the wall in their own zone).

AquaticBirdman 03-12-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk (Post 45947183)
Changes I'd like to see:

Instigator removed
No-touch icing

Can you imagine a player being carried into the penalty box while unconscious? :laugh:

Coach John McGuirk 03-12-2012 02:46 PM

I guess you could make it a bench minor. :laugh:

I don't know. I'm just sick to death of seeing guys put themselves in vulnerable positions and getting seriously hurt from it.

regard 03-12-2012 02:48 PM

If they were to implement the Red line rule I dont think I'd ever watch a NJ or TB game again. Instead I could just watch paint dry or static on a television.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk
I guess you could make it a bench minor.

I don't know. I'm just sick to death of seeing guys put themselves in vulnerable positions and getting seriously hurt from it.

Agreed. I think when Shanahan does not fine someone(like in Malkins case) he should make a video and say straight up "this player turned away from the hit after the other player was committed, players HAVE TO stop putting themselves in vulnerable positions.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 03-12-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 (Post 45950065)
Can you imagine a player being carried into the penalty box while unconscious? :laugh:

Is it wrong that I laughed my ass off imagining this in my mind? :laugh: