HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Barclays Center (Brooklyn Nets) to host KHL games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1133149)

NYR Sting 03-12-2012 02:37 PM

Barclays Center (Brooklyn Nets) to host KHL games
 
Thought this might make for an interesting discussion, especially with the possibility of the Islanders eventually moving to Brooklyn, and since we have a number of fans in the base here with Russian ties.

It looks like the KHL is planning on hosting exhibition matches in Brooklyn once the Barclays Center is finished. Not surprising, what with the Prokhorov connection and all. I doubt these games will sell out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drew a few thousand fans, myself among them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6.html#more-id

Here's a quote from KHL head honcho Alexander Medvedev.

Quote:

"I had a good meeting with the head of the NHLPA, Gary Bettman and Bill Daly, discussed many important questions. I watched two games: New Jersey Devils vs. Anaheim Ducks and the New York Rangers vs. Chicago. We decided that when the basketball club [the New Jersey Nets, owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov] finishes building its arena in Brooklyn, KHL Legends Game and regular season games will be held there. We are continuing to improve the relationship between the KHL and the NHL. I am hoping that the situation with [Alex] Radulov will not spoil it."
Depending on the price, it could certainly be an interesting experience. Probably a chance to see a few older players that won't be coming back to the NHL.

Crease 03-12-2012 02:42 PM

Will be interesting to see how the KHL game translates on NHL size ice.

Stugots 03-12-2012 02:48 PM

I'd definitely go see some KHL hockey.

koz2393 03-12-2012 02:52 PM

I'll go just because its hockey haha. I'll also have my fingers crossed that I'd get a chance to see Hasek (my all time favorite player) one more time.

Onion Boy 03-12-2012 02:56 PM

I'd be there. The idea of being able to walk to a hockey game from my home is tantalizing.

NYRKindms 03-12-2012 03:47 PM

I was under the impression that the Barclay center was too small for hockey ?

Stugots 03-12-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRKindms (Post 45952959)
I was under the impression that the Barclay center was too small for hockey ?

Hmmm I don't think so. The Isles are going to be playing pre-season games there.

kovazub94 03-12-2012 04:11 PM

Before you say that you'd go please take a look at the list of offensive leaders in KHL this year. I exluded Radulov as it is a given that he IS a superstar but by that time he might already be a part of the NHL family. The names that in the list are what I thought to be the most recognizable:

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/202/pts/

Brandon Bochenski
Tony Martensson
Kevin Dallman
Alexi Morozov
Sergei Shirokov
Nick Zherdev
Petr Prucha
Nico Kapanen

There were also Tarasnko and Kuznezov but generally Russian clubs are not likely to allow the younger players to develop with in the KHL.

Ih8theislanders 03-12-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 45953889)
Hmmm I don't think so. The Isles are going to be playing pre-season games there.

I think it'll seat around 14,500 for hockey, which is fine for pre-season/exhibitions but not really suitable for a permanent home. Also, I'd def be down to see a KHL game or two.

Rangers Fail 03-12-2012 04:14 PM

So....we have a chance of seeing Prucha and Zherdev?

NYR Sting 03-12-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovazub94 (Post 45954103)
Before you say that you'd go please take a look at the list of offensive leaders in KHL this year. I exluded Radulov as it is a given that he IS a superstar but by that time he might already be a part of the NHL family. The names that in the list are what I thought to be the most recognizable:

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/202/pts/

Brandon Bochenski
Tony Martensson
Kevin Dallman
Alexi Morozov
Sergei Shirokov
Nick Zherdev
Petr Prucha
Nico Kapanen

There were also Tarasnko and Kuznezov but generally Russian clubs are not likely to allow the younger players to develop with in the KHL.

I think we're all aware that virtually all of the world's best players play in the NHL. That said, this is still the 2nd strongest hockey league in the world, and it's less about seeing these particular players as it is seeing a different style of hockey.

If I purchase tickets, it won't be because I'm dying to see Prucha or Dawes again. Immo or Zherdev, however, I wouldn't mind catching a glimpse of.

kovazub94 03-12-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 45954671)
I think we're all aware that virtually all of the world's best players play in the NHL. That said, this is still the 2nd strongest hockey league in the world, and it's less about seeing these particular players as it is seeing a different style of hockey.

If I purchase tickets, it won't be because I'm dying to see Prucha or Dawes again. Immo or Zherdev, however, I wouldn't mind catching a glimpse of.

I'm pretty sure you'd be less than impressed. The only reason I'd go would be to see "yuts" or a HOF because watching KHL players on NHL size rink just wouldn't do it for me.

KreiMeARiver* 03-12-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat (Post 45954203)
So....we have a chance of seeing Prucha and Zherdev?

Haha no thank you

NYR Sting 03-12-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovazub94 (Post 45955087)
I'm pretty sure you'd be less than impressed. The only reason I'd go would be to see "yuts" or a HOF because watching KHL players on NHL size rink just wouldn't do it for me.

I watch KHL games regularly. I'm well aware of what I'd be in for. It's no NHL, but I'm a fan.

I'd assume the rink would be NHL size, also, but we actually don't know what size rink they'd use. Besides, something tells me whatever clubs they choose to bring over would chock full of former NHLers who know their way around a smaller rink.

kovazub94 03-12-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat (Post 45954203)
So....we have a chance of seeing Prucha and Zherdev?

For show-off the KHL is going to bring at least two of these three clubs that have the reachest owners and thus, the most "star"-studded rosters:

CKA St.Peterburg - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/ska
Salavat Yulaev Ufa - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev
AK Bars Kazan - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/ak-bars

kovazub94 03-12-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 45955363)
I watch KHL games regularly. I'm well aware of what I'd be in for. It's no NHL, but I'm a fan.

I'd assume the rink would be NHL size, also, but we actually don't know what size rink they'd use. Besides, something tells me whatever clubs they choose to bring over would chock full of former NHLers who know their way around a smaller rink.

Good for you for being a fan (sincerely). I watch it too, though the better way to say - I force myself to watch it. I check out Russian sports sites and I want to at least keep up with their fans discussions.

Rangers Fail 03-12-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightide85 (Post 45955145)
Haha no thank you

Oh come on! You don't want to see the Prucha? The guy who was going to be a 90 point guy in the NHL?

It would be kind of cool if Prucha's, Zherdev's, or Dawes' teams got to play in NY. Wouldn't be jumping out of my seat though.

Anthony Mauro 03-12-2012 05:00 PM

Hope they use American airline companies

*******s

we want cup 03-12-2012 05:05 PM

I'll definitely go. I hope SKA plays so I can wear my Prucha jersey. :D

Dustin Peener 03-12-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovazub94 (Post 45955595)
For show-off the KHL is going to bring at least two of these three clubs that have the reachest owners and thus, the most "star"-studded rosters:

CKA St.Peterburg - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/ska
Salavat Yulaev Ufa - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/salavat_yulaev
AK Bars Kazan - http://en.khl.ru/clubs/ak-bars

No Vityaz Chekhov? :sarcasm:

abev 03-12-2012 07:37 PM

Devils and Islanders there on Oct 2.

Melrose_Jr. 03-13-2012 01:08 PM

Hope Yashin makes it. It would be great to see him play on the Island again. :)

nyrmetros 03-13-2012 01:21 PM

I would go to check it out. Take the lirr from jamaica.

Thordic 03-13-2012 01:41 PM

Finally, a use for my Tyutin AK Bars Kazan jersey!

nyrmetros 03-13-2012 02:04 PM

USA Hockey jersey FTW.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.