HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1133897)

silverfish 03-13-2012 10:33 AM

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Quote:

Avery said Monday night during an After Show segment of Bravo TV's Watch What Happens Live that he was leaving the game. When asked about his hockey future, Avery said, "I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=622020

He still has a few good hockey years left so it's a damn shame if true. I understand why it has to be, but it still sucks.

https://twitter.com/#!/reporterchris...04047848935426

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Johnson
Pat Morris says Sean Avery's future plans will be determined by interest in the summer. Says he was "joking" last night.

LOL What a **** show

https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...11910705135616

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooks
Avery tells Post post-hockey career will start when contract expires. "No, that wasn't a joke, yes I'm retiring at end of season and its ok"

RangerBoy 03-13-2012 10:36 AM

Good riddance *******. There's a Dolce and Gabbana opening on 5th on the corner of 56th. Maybe Sean can find a career there.

Ail 03-13-2012 10:38 AM

Goodnight sweet prince.

KingWantsCup 03-13-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 45992343)
Good riddance *******. There's a Dolce and Gabbana opening on 5th on the corner of 56th. Maybe Sean can find a career there.

What's your problem? I'm not one of those crazy Avery supporters, but the man always tried to help us win. You may have not liked the way he did that because it was controversial, but he never had a losing attitude. He just didn't fit the mold of the team anymore.

we want cup 03-13-2012 10:40 AM

Not surprising. I've expected this ever since he was first sent down.

Thanks for keeping things interesting, Sean. We certainly won't be forgetting about you any time soon.

HatTrick Swayze 03-13-2012 10:40 AM

Yea my gf was watching that crap and let me know Sean Avery was on, critiquing pics of people's fashion choices via twitter. And then a part of my soul died.

silverfish 03-13-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

I love when RB steps into Avery threads :laugh:

The guy played his ass off for the team, finished a playoff game with a ruptured spleen, was a main factor in winning the 2 playoff series the Rangers have won since the lockout...he clashed with the current coach and burned the bridge, that's it and that's all.

Best of luck to Sean, he's a smart guy outside of hockey and will do a great job maintaining his level of wealth.

redfzn 03-13-2012 10:44 AM

What a shame. Terrible news.

I wish him the best and will wear my Avery sweater with pride.

Ail 03-13-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze (Post 45992495)
Yea my gf was watching that crap and let me know Sean Avery was on, critiquing pics of people's fashion choices via twitter. And then a part of my soul died.

You do realize that sports is a male equivalent to superfluous entertainment that is also considered to be crap by people who do not like it, right?

Zuccarello Awesome* 03-13-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Did he sleep with someone in your family?

Why so angry? Jeez

I don't buy it. Sounds like he was joking, anyway. I think he'll get signed this offseason by one of Philly, Pittsburgh, NYI, or Tampa. I could see those teams being interested in him on a 1 yr low risk contract.

mullichicken25 03-13-2012 10:49 AM

i hate that he made this place borederline intollerable during the early part of this season (and every ~.500 streak afterwards) but im thankful for what he brought to the team when he was an effective player

he was fun to watch and root for and contributed quite a bit to this teams success. I wish he was still effective on the ice but unfortunately thats not the case anymore

thanks sean, and good luck

nafsregnar27 03-13-2012 10:53 AM

I agree with Rangerboy, good riddance indeed. Avery was nothing but a headache for the Rangers.

HatTrick Swayze 03-13-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailurophile (Post 45992783)
You do realize that sports is a male equivalent to superfluous entertainment that is also considered to be crap by people who do not like it, right?

I get that people think that, yea. But at the bare minimum athletes work dilligently over a period of years to perfect skills that they are better than 99% of the population at. Can't say the same about most of today's reality TV celebs. I'm gonna stop there before we go even further OT.

RangerBoy 03-13-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 45992425)
What's your problem? I'm not one of those crazy Avery supporters, but the man always tried to help us win. You may have not liked the way he did that because it was controversial, but he never had a losing attitude. He just didn't fit the mold of the team anymore.

What's your problem?

Better men and better players have played for the Rangers. I'm just sick of the Avery sideshow. All of the people who care more about Avery than the actual team. The Rangers did him a favor bringing him back and allowing him to continue his career. So Avery decides to make a jackass of himself and causes trouble in CT. People were surprised Slats didn't place Sean on re-entry waivers. He spit in Sather's face by causing trouble. Sather sent him home.

Its always ends badly for Sean. LA. Dallas. NY. Andy Murray. Bruce Boudreau. Dave Tippett. Brett Hull. John Tortorella. Its never Sean's fault.

Hull took a big risk in the Stars signing Avery. The entire organization wanted no part of Avery. Dave Taylor was working for the Stars. He knew Sean from LA. Hull knew Avery from the Wings. When Sean acted up and got himself in trouble,Hull lost his job in Dallas. Good friend.

Ail 03-13-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze (Post 45993161)
I get that people think that, yea. But at the bare minimum athletes work dilligently over a period of years to perfect skills that they are better than 99% of the population at. Can't say the same about most of today's reality TV celebs. I'm gonna stop there before we go even further OT.

Compare sports to fashion, not celebrities. The designers spend years honing their skills as well. Fashion is an art-form, like it or not.

...and yes, this is somewhat OT.

HatTrick Swayze 03-13-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailurophile (Post 45993433)
Compare sports to fashion, not celebrities. The designers spend years honing their skills as well. Fashion is an art-form, like it or not.

...and yes, this is somewhat OT.

100% agree RE fashion designers. I would not include people paid to discuss, on Bravo, whether someone on twitter's shorts are too short to be in that category though.

Sean Aviary 03-13-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 45993403)
What's your problem?

Better men and better players have played for the Rangers. I'm just sick of the Avery sideshow. All of the people who care more about Avery than the actual team. The Rangers did him a favor bringing him back and allowing him to continue his career. So Avery decides to make a jackass of himself and causes trouble in CT. People were surprised Slats didn't place Sean on re-entry waivers. He spit in Sather's face by causing trouble. Sather sent him home.

Its always ends badly for Sean. LA. Dallas. NY. Andy Murray. Bruce Boudreau. Dave Tippett. Brett Hull. John Tortorella. Its never Sean's fault.

Hull took a big risk in the Stars signing Avery. The entire organization wanted no part of Avery. Dave Taylor was working for the Stars. He knew Sean from LA. Hull knew Avery from the Wings. When Sean acted up and got himself in trouble,Hull lost his job in Dallas. Good friend.

Remember Joe Murphy? Sometimes opportunities are handed to you until there's nobody left willing to offer them.

Jarkko Immonen 03-13-2012 11:13 AM

I bet he keeps playing if he gets the right offer.

wolfgaze 03-13-2012 11:19 AM

Shocking. ;)

t3hg00se 03-13-2012 11:19 AM

was figuring we wouldnt hear this until the offseason.

also,

anyone want to go search the hudson for avery's skates with me? :laugh:

Fitzy 03-13-2012 11:21 AM

"I threw my skates in the Hudson"

What a baby. It is amazing that we kept him as long as we did.

trueblue9441 03-13-2012 11:24 AM

good. glad we wont have to hear about him anymore.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-13-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen (Post 45993895)
I bet he keeps playing if he gets the right offer.

Can't see him getting any offer, let alone the right offer.

pld459666 03-13-2012 11:25 AM

I'm going to miss a guy that always stayed in good condition and played his ass off for this jersey.

Sean Avery played the game the way Sean Avery wanted to play the game. And in doing so, he helped the Rangers far more than he hurt them and anyone saying different is full of ****.

The league actually needs more charachters like Avery than the bland-vanilla-cookie cutter answer giving drones we have now.

It's a shame that we have coaches being recycled through the NHL Ranks that have no idea on how to deal with odd personalities.

Good luck in your new career path Sean. You will be missed.

robwrx04 03-13-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 45993403)
What's your problem?

I thought that was speculation/rumor and not fact?