HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   kyle greentree (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1133923)

HC Bienne 03-13-2012 11:16 AM

kyle greentree

hey guy, how good is kyle greentree from hershey bears? the team that support in swiss, wanted him. but he had ask for a two years contract. so we (ehc biel) had refuse...

sorry for my English

Sean Aviary 03-13-2012 11:29 AM

Solid depth player, good on the boards and he can score. His scoring likely won't translate to the NHL very well because he's not very fast and he tends to get caught up ice a lot.

Being a strong forechecker is negated by not being able to get back to play defense. He's AHL quality, not NHL quality - depending on how fast the players in the league tend to be, he could be really good or really bad. He probably couldn't make it in the NHL because his skills clash and would make him a huge liability getting caught deep against most lines.

HC Bienne 03-13-2012 11:56 AM

thank you so much for responding.

yap, that is not the kind of player, that we are looking for next season. For that task we have Eric beaudoin, former nhl/ahl player.

only 4 foreign are aloud to play in swiss. sebastien bordeleau, former nhl player has made is last career match last saturday. ¨

and we are looking for a center to replace him. he has to have a good technique, good face-offs skills, and good defensive/ofensive skills. do you know someone in ahl that could fit in that categories. now we are not a rich team so the top players in the league are out of question. i imagine a player that in ahl could make 55/65 points by season...

Sean Aviary 03-14-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special One (Post 45995693)
thank you so much for responding.

yap, that is not the kind of player, that we are looking for next season. For that task we have Eric beaudoin, former nhl/ahl player.

only 4 foreign are aloud to play in swiss. sebastien bordeleau, former nhl player has made is last career match last saturday. ¨

and we are looking for a center to replace him. he has to have a good technique, good face-offs skills, and good defensive/ofensive skills. do you know someone in ahl that could fit in that categories. now we are not a rich team so the top players in the league are out of question. i imagine a player that in ahl could make 55/65 points by season...

The only AHL players with good all-around skills like that are either top prospects or older guys who missed their chance and have big holes in their game. I don't know how the Swiss league compares in terms of speed and size, but a lot of AHL veterans who could never make the jump to the NHL are small, usually around 5'9" and not too strong. Others are kind of slow and can't make it back defensively - the defensive transitions are a lot faster in the NHL than the AHL, that's also a common failure of career AHLers.

Keith Aucoin is undersized. Kris Newbury is slow and has terrible positioning and discipline. TJ Hensick is inconsistent, undersized, and can get lost when he's away from the puck. Martin St. Pierre is undersized and kind of crappy defensively.

I believe Aucoin is signed through next year. The selection of journeymen who might wander to Europe isn't the greatest. A competent center who is good on faceoffs and isn't a defensive liability can usually find a place in the depth of an NHL franchise (i.e. Erik Christensen).

HC Bienne 03-15-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Aviary (Post 46075869)
The only AHL players with good all-around skills like that are either top prospects or older guys who missed their chance and have big holes in their game. I don't know how the Swiss league compares in terms of speed and size, but a lot of AHL veterans who could never make the jump to the NHL are small, usually around 5'9" and not too strong. Others are kind of slow and can't make it back defensively - the defensive transitions are a lot faster in the NHL than the AHL, that's also a common failure of career AHLers.

Keith Aucoin is undersized. Kris Newbury is slow and has terrible positioning and discipline. TJ Hensick is inconsistent, undersized, and can get lost when he's away from the puck. Martin St. Pierre is undersized and kind of crappy defensively.

I believe Aucoin is signed through next year. The selection of journeymen who might wander to Europe isn't the greatest. A competent center who is good on faceoffs and isn't a defensive liability can usually find a place in the depth of an NHL franchise (i.e. Erik Christensen).

the type of game in swiss is also different. is less physical and more technique. also the rink is bigger. there is also one of the reasons why we don't have so many swiss guys in NHL. so yes, usualy we look for that kind of player. if you have money like Bern or Zürich the quality of players will be better.... but no money no clown.

HC Bienne 03-15-2012 06:50 AM

can you tell me about jamie johnson, ben walter, Bracken Kearns and kyle wilson?

hb11xchamps 03-15-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special One (Post 46111719)
can you tell me about jamie johnson, ben walter, Bracken Kearns and kyle wilson?

I think Kyle Wilson has a 2 year contract with Nashville but i'm not positive on that one. Kyle has been a solid AHL player who never really translated his game into the NHL even on a struggling Columbus team last year.

Rumblick 03-15-2012 10:35 AM

Aucoin has dominated the AHL, ringing up points at a ridiculous rate the past three years. I think the biggest thing that holds vets over here is that the AHL is still a ticket to the NHL (and Aucoin's punched it this year, playing 15 games with the Caps and likely to stick the rest of the season up there).

He'd be perfect for the Swiss game as you describe it, but as a new dad and still able to get a 2-way deal on this side of the pond, I don't see him uprooting at 34 years of age.

I loved Wilson in Hershey. He's got good but not spectacular skills, and he puts up decent numbers. If he's tired of waiting for a full shot, he might be someone your team could tempt to cross over.

Sean Aviary 03-15-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special One (Post 46111719)

I don't know much about Johnson, I think he's just a guy with some skills that aren't quite NHL caliber.

Ben Walter has a shot at making the Flames, he's signed through next year with a decent AHL salary (275k). He's defensively responsible but he's not much of a forechecker - in Bridgeport he was the forward up high, he could capitalize on good chances but didn't show off a lot. He doesn't do much board work, and he seems hesitant to go deep, but he's got a shot at the NHL with a team with a system that fits his skill set (Calgary).

I don't know much about Bracken Kearns, but I've heard him compared to Kris Newbury so I'd avoid him like the plague. He's got a hockey-as-**** name though.

Kyle Wilson is a fairly well rounded player who is a bit soft on the puck and hasn't improved enough with time. Benefits from playing against undersized guys.

Medium Rare* 03-22-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Aviary (Post 46119487)
I don't know much about Johnson, I think he's just a guy with some skills that aren't quite NHL caliber.

Ben Walter has a shot at making the Flames, he's signed through next year with a decent AHL salary (275k). He's defensively responsible but he's not much of a forechecker - in Bridgeport he was the forward up high, he could capitalize on good chances but didn't show off a lot. He doesn't do much board work, and he seems hesitant to go deep, but he's got a shot at the NHL with a team with a system that fits his skill set (Calgary).

I don't know much about Bracken Kearns, but I've heard him compared to Kris Newbury so I'd avoid him like the plague. He's got a hockey-as-**** name though.

Kyle Wilson is a fairly well rounded player who is a bit soft on the puck and hasn't improved enough with time. Benefits from playing against undersized guys.

Walter will not be on the Flames next season, he was signed strictly as a player to help the Heat become a playoff team. I think the fact he has not gotten a single recall this year despite all the Flames injuries is evidence of this. I also don't think its a coincidence he was signed around the same time Abbotsford hired his dad.