HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Philadelphia Flyers nominate Jagr for Masterton Trophy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1135569)

kudymen 03-15-2012 07:06 AM

Philadelphia Flyers nominate Jagr for Masterton Trophy
 
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...674&feedID=695

I wasn't sure where to put that so I started a completely new thread just to get your opinion on that move.

Very nice move by the Flyers imo.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-15-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudymen (Post 46111881)
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...674&feedID=695

I wasn't sure where to put that so I started a completely new thread just to get your opinion on that move.

Very nice move by the Flyers imo.

Of all the things that I imagined happening with Jagr this year, both good and bad, this was not one of them. Weird, wild stuff.

kudymen 03-15-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 46111927)
Of all the things that I imagined happening with Jagr this year, both good and bad, this was not one of them. Weird, wild stuff.

Haha, anyone saying in the 90s that Jagr will be nominated for a sportsmanship award by Philly one day would be laughed at so hard.

Xegiie 03-15-2012 08:23 AM

it quite fits him now tho, i don't think theres anyone who is more deticated than Jags

RJ8812* 03-15-2012 09:12 AM

cool, but he won't win it

Pacioretty will most likely

GKJ 03-15-2012 09:38 AM

Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.

thelos 03-15-2012 10:02 AM

Crosby will probably win if he gets nominated

Xegiie 03-15-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge11 (Post 46116325)
Crosby will probably win if he gets nominated

for being injured?

GKJ 03-15-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xegiie (Post 46116561)
for being injured?

Lappy won the award last year and never played a game.

Xegiie 03-15-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46115313)
Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.

so becuase he switched league he become less deticated to hockey? :laugh: :handclap:

GKJ 03-15-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xegiie (Post 46117155)
so becuase he switched league he become less deticated to hockey? :laugh: :handclap:

To the NHL, yes.


This is an NHL award. He wasn't out of the league because he was a bad player. He was out of the league because he wanted to play in another league. The direct rival to the NHL no less.


That said, I am fine with the nomination. We didn't really have any good nominees unless you want to throw Timonen into the mix.

kudymen 03-15-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46115313)
Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.

I've heard that Jagr left for KHL because he wanted multi-year contract (2yrs, willing to take a pay-cut) and Sather's only offer was around 7 million but only for 1 year. Of course Russia was tax free choice, but still... Anyway, if Jagr went to Vegas no one would ever see him again :laugh:

Crosby and Pacioretty seem to me like more serious contenders too

jagrgodr 03-15-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudymen (Post 46117421)
I've heard that Jagr left for KHL because he wanted multi-year contract (2yrs, willing to take a pay-cut) and Sather's only offer was around 7 million but only for 1 year. Of course Russia was tax free choice, but still... Anyway, if Jagr went to Vegas no one would ever see him again :laugh:

Crosby and Pacioretty seem to me like more serious contenders too

lol i think he was in vegas during #jagrwatch. Anyways congrats to Jagr for the nomination, he really deserves it. He helped turn this club around by leading by example after they got rid of richards and carter and i'm sure that helped the team a lot. Instead of drinking, Jagr trains, and with a team full of young guys, you can't ask for anything more.

thedjpd 03-15-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46117199)
To the NHL, yes.


This is an NHL award. He wasn't out of the league because he was a bad player. He was out of the league because he wanted to play in another league. The direct rival to the NHL no less.


That said, I am fine with the nomination. We didn't really have any good nominees unless you want to throw Timonen into the mix.

But it's an award for dedication to hockey.

It doesn't say that it's given to the player most dedicated to the NHL.

Beef Invictus 03-15-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudymen (Post 46111975)
Haha, anyone saying in the 90s that Jagr will be nominated for a sportsmanship award by Philly one day would be laughed at so hard.

Yeah, this. The world turned upside down.

Edit: well, any award really. This one isn't really a sportsmanship award, that's the Lady Byng

kudymen 03-15-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 46121999)
Yeah, this. The world turned upside down.

Edit: well, any award really. This one isn't really a sportsmanship award, that's the Lady Byng

Oh. Sorry, my bad, I often made mistakes between Lady Byng and Bill Masterton Trophy >_<

philly_28 03-15-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedjpd (Post 46121721)
But it's an award for dedication to hockey.

It doesn't say that it's given to the player most dedicated to the NHL.

Not officially, no.

I'm with GKJ on this. They obviously won't say that they don't want to give the award to him because of his leave to the KHL, but those circumstances are not helpfull for winning an NHL award.

BleedOrange 03-15-2012 12:44 PM

Nice..:handclap:

CharlieGirl 03-15-2012 01:42 PM

The fact that Jagr is nominated tarnishes the players who have won it in the past.

Jagr did nothing more than leave the NHL to chase a **** ton of money, then came back. There is nothing heroic, dedicated or honourable in that.

Luckily, there is almost no chance he wins it.

ninetynine* 03-15-2012 01:46 PM

Should have been Bryz

Ryker 03-15-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 46127219)
The fact that Jagr is nominated tarnishes the players who have won it in the past.

Jagr did nothing more than leave the NHL to chase a **** ton of money, then came back. There is nothing heroic, dedicated or honourable in that.

Luckily, there is almost no chance he wins it.

Yes, because the only heroic thing for every single human being to do is to want to live, work and die in and for the big ole' US of A or Canada, right? How dare he go play in a league not NHL, especially in some commie country.

CharlieGirl 03-15-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryker (Post 46127805)
Yes, because the only heroic thing for every single human being to do is to want to live, work and die in and for the big ole' US of A or Canada, right? How dare he go play in a league not NHL, especially in some commie country.

You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.

dawkins121 03-15-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 46130093)
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.

Who would you nominate from the Flyers instead? Whatever his motivation was, he did come back to the NHL after a 3 year absence and fight through several injuries at the age of 39 and still managed to be an effective player and solid veteran presence on a team full of rookies.

Ryker 03-15-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 46130093)
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.

Huh, how can you claim such things, when you don't even know him? What exactly about his going to Russia was that manifested his dedication to his ego and the almighty dollar? Is it not a valid choice to want to play hockey where you think you'll enjoy it better? You don't even know his personal circumstances, what he's gone through, whether he was just jaded with NHL hockey at the time (but not with hockey in general!) etc. Plus, it's funny you talk about his dedication to the dollar and the ego, when he at least shows up for the World Championship each year, which cannot be said of many other NHLers. But I guess wanting to play for your country for no additional pay despite a tough season, and when there's many proud Canadians, Americans, Swedes and Finns who refuse to do so, is just seen as stroking your ego nowadays, eh?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 46130433)
Who would you nominate from the Flyers instead? Whatever his motivation was, he did come back to the NHL after a 3 year absence and fight through several injuries at the age of 39 and still managed to be an effective player and solid veteran presence on a team full of rookies.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think he's going to win it, because in all honesty he doesn't deserve to, but I don't see who else should've been nominated from the team.

MsWoof 03-15-2012 03:17 PM

This is one of those instances where it's better not to submit a candidate. His nomination makes a mockery of the award.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.