HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Peter White traded (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=113645)

kingjdv 11-14-2004 08:31 PM

Peter White traded

The Phantoms have made a "loan" trade. White has been reassigned to Utah and the Grizz are sending Jon Sim to the Phantoms. With Umberger and Sharp in the top 2 spots and Stafford the top defensive center, White had been seeing a lot of 4th line time. Clarkie thanked his son-in-law for his dedication to the organization so it doesn't look like he's coming back.

Rex88 11-14-2004 09:35 PM

Honestly, should not have been there in the first place.
I am sure he will get a scouting role next season with the team for better or worse.

paxtang 11-14-2004 10:11 PM

White was a great AHL center. One of the best all time. He is still a solid play making center, but Umberger has progressed enough to take the 2nd line spot. As I've said before I had no problem at all with White being on the Phantoms, but with Umberger as the 2nd line center, this move makes a lot of sense.

pelts35.com 11-15-2004 08:16 AM

Personally, I think that any trade during a 10-game winning streak is a little odd. Call me superstitious (I am a goalie, so I fully admit that I am), but if my team is on a 10-game winning streak, I don't want to change anything. That certainly includes removing one of the team's assistant captains and adding a new player.

Clarkie didn't do his son-in-law any favors by sending him to the 1-win Utah Grizzlies either.

Dr Love 11-15-2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Clarkie didn't do his son-in-law any favors by sending him to the 1-win Utah Grizzlies either.

Makes me Peter got a little rowdy this weekend or something. (I'm kidding). Actually you could make a case he did do him a favor if he gets more ice time.

pelts35.com 11-15-2004 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Makes me Peter got a little rowdy this weekend or something. (I'm kidding). Actually you could make a case he did do him a favor if he gets more ice time.

Do you think that trading Peter across country away from his family is doing him a favor? Even if it means more ice time, I would think that he would have preferred to play, what is probably his last season, in a limited role on a team that has a chance at winning the Calder Cup near his family instead of getting a lot of ice time on the worst team in the AHL in Utah. IMO, not much of a favor there, father-in-law.

Dr Love 11-15-2004 09:28 AM

Quote:

Do you think that trading Peter across country away from his family is doing him a favor? Even if it means more ice time, I would think that he would have preferred to play, what is probably his last season, in a limited role on a team that has a chance at winning the Calder Cup near his family instead of getting a lot of ice time on the worst team in the AHL in Utah. IMO, not much of a favor there, father-in-law.

No, I agree, it isn't much of a favor. And this is what, the second or third time he's dealt him away (although I believe one was to the Hawks and he got playing time in the NHL, so that one is fine). I don't understand it, maybe White asked for it? I don't know.

pelts35.com 11-15-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
No, I agree, it isn't much of a favor. And this is what, the second or third time he's dealt him away (although I believe one was to the Hawks and he got playing time in the NHL, so that one is fine). I don't understand it, maybe White asked for it? I don't know.

Glad to see that the two of us are on the same page. The first time White ended up with Chicago (2000-01), if memory serves me correctly, was because Chicago signed him as a free agent. He played the entire 00-01 season with Chicago and Norfolk, with most of his time in Chicago. The 02-03 season didn't work out that way, and White was pretty much stuck in Norfolk. It was then that Clarke arranged a loan to get White back to the Phantoms and then made an official trade to make him part of the organ-eye-zation.

Again, I just find it odd timing that any player (son-in-law or not) would be traded during a 10-game winning streak. Why potentially mess up the chemistry, which is obviously working, while the streak is intact?

Roger's Pancreas* 11-15-2004 10:23 AM

Quote:

Personally, I think that any trade during a 10-game winning streak is a little odd. Call me superstitious (I am a goalie, so I fully admit that I am), but if my team is on a 10-game winning streak, I don't want to change anything. That certainly includes removing one of the team's assistant captains and adding a new player.

The Phantoms already have a 10 game winning streak, the best way to keep it going is to change. If you keep doing the exact same thing the competition is going to get smart to your ways.

pelts35.com 11-15-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
The Phantoms already have a 10 game winning streak, the best way to keep it going is to change. If you keep doing the exact same thing the competition is going to get smart to your ways.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then. I have never heard of a team in the midst of a long winning streak changing personnel to prolong it. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. White, despite taking a lesser role with the Phantoms this season, is still a very good lockerroom guy. Taking an experienced veteran like him out of the lockerroom may have some negative effect on the team. IMO, there are certain things you don't mess with when things are going well and team chemistry and makeup are two of them.

flyersrock1 11-15-2004 12:53 PM

Quote:

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then. I have never heard of a team in the midst of a long winning streak changing personnel to prolong it. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. White, despite taking a lesser role with the Phantoms this season, is still a very good lockerroom guy. Taking an experienced veteran like him out of the lockerroom may have some negative effect on the team. IMO, there are certain things you don't mess with when things are going well and team chemistry and makeup are two of them.

I agree with what you say but lets put another spin on this. Maybe Clarke sees his NHL players staying down on the farm all season. As in no NHL. This will let his son-in-law get some playing time with another team and you watch to see if he is not back with us for next year showing no rust. Just a thought.

pelts35.com 11-15-2004 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersrock1
I agree with what you say but lets put another spin on this. Maybe Clarke sees his NHL players staying down on the farm all season. As in no NHL. This will let his son-in-law get some playing time with another team and you watch to see if he is not back with us for next year showing no rust. Just a thought.

That's an interesting spin. The only "flaw" I see in that is that I think that this could be White's last season. He clearly has lost more than a stride over the past couple of seasons. I'm thinking that next season he will be either a coach or a scout.

Still, why send your son-in-law to the worst team in the AHL that is across the country? Wasn't there another team a little closer that would have taken him?

Dr Love 11-15-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Glad to see that the two of us are on the same page.

We are. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy, and my first post was that... I guess if you don't really know me sometimes it's hard to tell.

Quote:

The first time White ended up with Chicago (2000-01), if memory serves me correctly, was because Chicago signed him as a free agent. He played the entire 00-01 season with Chicago and Norfolk, with most of his time in Chicago. The 02-03 season didn't work out that way, and White was pretty much stuck in Norfolk. It was then that Clarke arranged a loan to get White back to the Phantoms and then made an official trade to make him part of the organ-eye-zation.
Ah. I thought it was the other way around, but I was mistaken.

Quote:

Again, I just find it odd timing that any player (son-in-law or not) would be traded during a 10-game winning streak. Why potentially mess up the chemistry, which is obviously working, while the streak is intact?
Agreed, pretty weird, especially given the timing.

flyersrock1 11-15-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

That's an interesting spin. The only "flaw" I see in that is that I think that this could be White's last season. He clearly has lost more than a stride over the past couple of seasons. I'm thinking that next season he will be either a coach or a scout.

Still, why send your son-in-law to the worst team in the AHL that is across the country? Wasn't there another team a little closer that would have taken him?

Maybe he is there ''scouting" for replacement players. :lol

Winston Wolf 11-15-2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

Still, why send your son-in-law to the worst team in the AHL that is across the country?

Because he's soon to be his ex-son-in-law?