HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Larry Carrière, A Hidden Gem ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1136611)

EmelinHipCheck 03-16-2012 09:01 AM

Larry Carrière, A Hidden Gem ?

Read this article, then post your views. Please do not make this a bashing thread.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Steve...s-GM/139/42393

Fozz 03-16-2012 09:17 AM

Obviously the personal opinion of the writer. Some good points but nothing in that article that proves he could be considered a "Gem".

The Gal Pals 03-16-2012 09:20 AM

We need a clean slate. Enough with turning over the reigns to somebody already in management. This management group has collectively failed as a whole and they need to be replaced with ppl outside the organization.

Habs 4 Life 03-16-2012 09:21 AM

This organization would become an ever bigger joke if Larry becomes the next GM

WeThreeKings 03-16-2012 09:28 AM

Other than Timmins axe everybody.

Re-hire anybody who gave a positive review for the Gomez deal, then fire them again.

Joe Cole 03-16-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airic000 (Post 46175677)
We need a clean slate. .

I agree.

As well, as many teams as LC has been a part of, which one was a winner? Which one a dynasty? How much did he have to do with it?

It would be easy, but it all depends on what your goal is.

Easy?
Win?

Choose wisely

habtastic 03-16-2012 09:36 AM

I'd like some proof from some well-known GMs and scouts to validate what's in the article, otherwise it seems entirely fabricated. If true, maybe it's worth taking a look at, but honestly I've never heard of anything he's done, again, give me something to work with.

I don't think it has to be a complete axe of everyone (except Timmins) just because. It's like saying trade everyone on the team. There could be some strong elements who up until now have had their votes and opinions vetoed.

I just want a great GM, and if it's Larry, so long as he fits the bill, fine with me. They'll have a hard time selling this one to the fans unless his CV gets heavily perused by the media soon.

Andy 03-16-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 46176091)
I agree.

As well, as many teams as LC has been a part of, which one was a winner? Which one a dynasty? How much did he have to do with it?

It would be easy, but it all depends on what your goal is.

Easy?
Win?

Choose wisely

If this is your criteria you immediately cut like 90% of the candidates out there.

Quote:

This organization would become an ever bigger joke if Larry becomes the next GM
Why?

Joe Cole 03-16-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 46176239)
If this is your criteria you immediately cut like 90% of the candidates out there.

and.......BINGO!!!

What are you aiming for?

Andy 03-16-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 46176257)
and.......BINGO!!!

What are you aiming for?

How many GMs candidates are there currently who have been part of a dynasty? If this is your criteria, good luck find a candidate.

Also by your logic the Bruins would have never hired a guy like Chiarelli who has done an excellent job as Bruins GM. Same for Ray Shero in Pittsburgh.

Andrighetto Fabolous 03-16-2012 09:42 AM

Got nothing against him for his assistant GM role, but I still have no idea why this guy is our assistant coach.

EmelinHipCheck 03-16-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernell Karl (Post 46176451)
Got nothing against him for his assistant GM role, but I still have no idea why this guy is our assistant coach.

Gauthier's eyes and ears, was clear since day 1.

habs03 03-16-2012 09:48 AM

I asked if anyone knew anything about him in some of the Future GM threads, but got nothing, with some google researching, he was ast GM and interim GM of the Sabres for a while, and before becoming ast GM with the Habs, he was a pro scout for the Caps, I'm not sure what moves he was responsibly for though.

Also I don't see how ppl associate him with current management, the guy hasn't ever worked with PG, Gainey etc, ever before getting hired by the Habs, so it would be unfair just to want him gone for the sake of it.

habs03 03-16-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernell Karl (Post 46176451)

When they fired JM, they wanted him on the bench because of knowledge of the teams and players, to help out Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur since they spent the year before in the AHL.

MasterDecoy 03-16-2012 10:05 AM

interesting read. i didn't know that about carriere.

Joe Cole 03-16-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 46176435)
How many GMs candidates are there currently who have been part of a dynasty? If this is your criteria, good luck find a candidate.

Also by your logic the Bruins would have never hired a guy like Chiarelli who has done an excellent job as Bruins GM. Same for Ray Shero in Pittsburgh.

I never said it was gonna be easy, but it is easy to not win.

As for Chiarelli, or others, it does not have to be at the NHL level.

EXPOS123 03-16-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing (Post 46176613)

I still can't believe how little criticism Gauthier got for this move (amongst the many other blunders he's made). He fires a caoch and what does he do? Not only does he replace him with a coach with little NHL coaching experience (none as an NHL head coach), but then sets up him to fail further by surrounding him with an assistant that was equally as inexperienced at the NHl level (Ladoucer) and another assistant (Carriere) that never coached! This may be one of the worst coaching staffs in the league. On top of that, the sole purpose for Carriere being there is to squeal on the players to the Gm. Then we wonder why players go on to better careers when they leave here. Man i can't wait till they clean house:cry:

Agalloch 03-16-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXPOS123 (Post 46178821)
I still can't believe how little criticism Gauthier got for this move (amongst the many other blunders he's made). He fires a caoch and what does he do? Not only does he replace him with a coach with little NHL coaching experience (none as an NHL head coach), but then sets up him to fail further by surrounding him with an assistant that was equally as inexperienced at the NHl level (Ladoucer) and another assistant (Carriere) that never coached! This may be one of the worst coaching staffs in the league. On top of that, the sole purpose for Carriere being there is to squeal on the players to the Gm. Then we wonder why players go on to better careers when they leave here. Man i can't wait till they clean house:cry:

Ladouceur was assistant coach with Hartford/Carolina for 7 years (1996-2004) and 2 years (2006-2008) with Toronto.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=2385

jphabs 03-16-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing (Post 46176613)

He was hired by Molson, so I'd say Molson's eyes and ears.

BobbyFischer* 03-16-2012 11:34 AM

LOL, is this real life????

Bob Cole 03-16-2012 11:47 AM

http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/gifs/smhcuban.gif
Time to start fresh. Enough with the old gang.

Teufelsdreck 03-16-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airic000 (Post 46175677)
We need a clean slate. Enough with turning over the reigns to somebody already in management. This management group has collectively failed as a whole and they need to be replaced with ppl outside the organization.

Guilt by association? That's Stalinist reasoning. According to Stalin, it's better to punish 100 innocent people than to let one guilty person escape punishment.

ReVeuF 03-16-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 46175931)
Other than Timmins axe everybody.

Re-hire anybody who gave a positive review for the Gomez deal, then fire them again.

LOL ! :laugh:

FiveForDrawingBlood 03-16-2012 06:17 PM

I wonder what happened with him and the Sabres in 2004? He was there for 20 years, working his way up from amateur scout for 10 years. Direct of player development for 7 years then assistant GM for 3 years only to leave in '04 to be pro scout for the Capitals. Quite a step backwards? Doesn't sound like pedigree of success.

Writer did a slack job of researching his work however. Never mentioned Carrière holds a Bachelor of Commerce and Major in Business Administration from Loyola College in Montreal.

Kriss E 03-16-2012 06:58 PM

Maybe he'd make a good choice, but that doesn't matter at this point because we need some fresh air.