HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   News Article: My Journey to the NHL - Dan Hamhuis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1136967)

Wetcoaster 03-16-2012 04:15 PM

My Journey to the NHL - Dan Hamhuis

Canucks.com has a feature article on Dan Hamhuis and his hockey journey from Smithers to the NHL and YOUR VANCOUVER CANUCKS. His dad who coached him in minor hockey still coaches via long distance.

And looking back at your journey...
Do you ever still get the feeling like this is unbelievable that you've made it here?

Yes, considering where I grew up in this little single A organization coming out of Smithers to make it to the NHL, I was pretty surprised when I look around. But then I look back at some of the people that Iíve had along the way in my career, the coaches, and my parents, it was certainly a huge help to me.

Itís a lot of fun, I love the NHL life. Itís fun coming to the rink everyday to see the guys. Weíve got a really good group of guys in this room and thatís a huge part of it because we spend so much time together, playing on a good team, and of course, itís fun winning.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=622198

Even as an infant he had his priorities right:
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images...ammer05_rr.jpg

And progressing through minor hockey:
http://3.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images...ammer02_rr.jpg

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images...ammer04_rr.jpg

keslerburrows 03-16-2012 04:44 PM

Love 'Huis. Great story.

Scottrockztheworld* 03-16-2012 05:13 PM

That picture of him as a baby in Canucks gear is very cute! :handclap:

I'm surprised there aren't more Hamhuis jerseys around Vancouver. If I had the cash I'd get one for sure!

The Cowboy Poet 03-16-2012 05:28 PM

No doubt his success in the NHL is due to playing on the most elite WHL team in the history of the game.

But seriously, I had the opportunity to interview him when he was here last year for the Super Series game. Really nice guy, had a rockin' movember stache too. Love seeing a northern BC guy succeed in the NHL.

SedBurrKesHiggLappy 03-16-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 46193531)

Still has the same face :laugh:

Hollywood Burrows 03-16-2012 08:02 PM

Such an awesome and underrated player. Backbone of our defense. And a BC boy. Couldn't be happier with the signing :handclap:

Flik 03-16-2012 08:04 PM

I hope he finishes his career with us. That's all I have to say.

Dr Awesome 03-16-2012 08:34 PM

Even in his minor hockey days when he hit you, you felt it. On the plus side its always nice to see home grown fan play for big club.

Taco Fingerhat 03-16-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome (Post 46204937)
Even in his minor hockey days when he hit you, you felt it. On the plus side its always nice to see home grown fan play for big club.

Did you play against him???

Outside99* 03-17-2012 10:21 AM

Hamhuis is just a terrific player and person, probably Gillis' best move as Canucks GM.

The guy is so under-rated, there's only been 9 comments about this article on this board. :(

Edit: plus such a nice guy, shares half of his pairing's income with his lesser half Bieksa. LOL

ahmon 03-17-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outside99 (Post 46226187)
Hamhuis is just a terrific player and person, probably Gillis' best move as Canucks GM.

The guy is so under-rated, there's only been 9 comments about this article on this board. :(

Edit: plus such a nice guy, shares half of his pairing's income with his lesser half Bieksa. LOL

Here's our best dman by far.

Getting deep in the playoffs last year, I thought to myself, 2 guys on this team can't be injured, 1. is kesler 2. is hamhuis. He is that important to the success of this team.

I remember on his draft day and the bio they showed of him mentioned how he had to overcome some kind of sickness when he was young.

They also showed how he was training with parachutes in the field, and is a very strong skater.

Really wanted the canucks to draft him that year, so its nice we eventually got him.

YogiCanucks 03-17-2012 12:33 PM

I know this is about Hamhuis' journey but I did have something to say about Dan's play.

I absolutely love the way he plays, so steady and reliable in the back end. I think we can all appreciate what he brings to the table. One of the things I've been very critical of him though is he doesn't have a that X factor you see from guys like Keith or Weber were they can bring their game to another level in a game where you can. 'huis even in the playoffs last year seemed to play at his usual level (while some players were bringing their game to another level). However, last game against Phx something was very different. After he got hit, in the third period he was pushing the puck up ice with a lot of purpose and IMO became EVEN more effective as a hockey player. I hope the coaching staff recognized this and they'll get this out of him more often.

Flik 03-17-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmon (Post 46227051)
Here's our best dman by far.

Getting deep in the playoffs last year, I thought to myself, 2 guys on this team can't be injured, 1. is kesler 2. is hamhuis. He is that important to the success of this team.

I remember on his draft day and the bio they showed of him mentioned how he had to overcome some kind of sickness when he was young.

They also showed how he was training with parachutes in the field, and is a very strong skater.

Really wanted the canucks to draft him that year, so its nice we eventually got him.

And of course both those players you mentioned got injured, and the rest is history. :cry:

I agree with you. Kesler and Hamhuis will again be our backbone and if they are 100% healthy and playing full force, we can do serious damage this year.

Crows* 03-17-2012 01:21 PM

Hammers puck rushing skills are very underrated. You can tell he takes pride in doing it and that he wasn't given free reign to do it in Nashville.

Dr Awesome 03-17-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat (Post 46214067)
Did you play against him???

I did and it did not end well. They some pretty good players in Smithers and strong teams though out the years.

Pseudonymous 03-17-2012 02:39 PM

My favorite canuck, the guy is extremely underrated. He plays a 2 on 1 better than any D i've seen. His skating is spectacular! (not talking speed, though his speed is good)

Horse 03-17-2012 02:46 PM

I would have probably traded anyone on our team to get a healthy Hamhuis back for the finals :(

Whenever I watch an interview with him I always think he needs to smile more, from those pictures though it looks like he's always been serious.

thepuckmonster 03-18-2012 05:59 PM

Had a customer come into my work yesterday who was from Smithers. Since it wasn't busy he was talking to me about how much he likes the business I work for, and that he'd love to see one back home. I mentioned one of my absolute favourite players is from Smithers, and he was like "Aw yeah, Hamhuis!" Apparently Hammer grew up 3 doors down from this guy and played with his kids.

COOL BEANS.

billvanseattle 03-18-2012 06:32 PM

Part of what GMMG has done is assembled a team of classy players. Hammy, the twins and a number of others just come across as thankful to be there nice guys. They have put a dressing room together full of guys who just want to do it together.

Its amazing that there are so many "nice guys" on the "most hated team" in hockey.

Yeah, we have Kes, Burrows, Lap and a few other yappers on the team, but for every one of them we have a quiet hard working classy player. I don't think we have a prima donna on the team.