HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Off day topic- Braun and his impending RFA status (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1137061)

FeedingFrenzy 03-16-2012 06:08 PM

Off day topic- Braun and his impending RFA status

The feeling around here is we have a gem with Justin..Do the Sharks get a deal done before his RFA? Can't believe DW would let Braun hit the market..Does he get a Demers type deal 2/2.5 or would DW try and lock him up for 4yrs similar to Pickles but not for Pickles current $$. Who might his compareables be to get an idea of $$/contract.Easy??:D .Any idea who his agent is?? Absolutely loving his progression,hits,skates,shot and getting better defensively each game.Him and Demers looked solid together..

hockeyball 03-16-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy (Post 46197507)
The feeling around here is we have a gem with Justin..Do the Sharks get a deal done before his RFA? Can't believe DW would let Braun hit the market..Does he get a Demers type deal 2/2.5 or would DW try and lock him up for 4yrs similar to Pickles but not for Pickles current $$. Who might his compareables be to get an idea of $$/contract.Easy??:D .Any idea who his agent is?? Absolutely loving his progression,hits,skates,shot and getting better defensively each game.Him and Demers looked solid together..

He can't hit the market. He's an RFA.

The very worst thing that could happen is he could go to arbitration (if he's eligible) and be awarded too much and THEN be released (because the Sharks CHOOSE, not to pay it). That won't happen and I don't think he's even eligible, which means he'll simply be forced to take a standard offer, or sit for the season. He really has no power.

He should sign a deal similar to Demers, and that's what he deserves so far.

Iron Chef 03-16-2012 06:26 PM

Likely will get a Demers type deal.

Although, funny you mention Vlasic, because I was thinking last night how Braun's development reminds me a lot of Pickle's early years.

OrrNumber4 03-16-2012 06:41 PM

I still want to see more from Braun. Defensemen who can't contribute offensively are not at all uncommon in this league. Demers was so exciting precisely because he could chip in offensively.

Eighth Fret 03-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superroyain10 (Post 46198767)
I still want to see more from Braun. Defensemen who can't contribute offensively are not at all uncommon in this league. Demers was so exciting precisely because he could chip in offensively.

His offensive contributions might not show up on the scoresheet, but I see him playing well in the other team's end. Has a good sense of when to pinch, can open up a shooting lane for himself (his shots almost always go through to the net), and moves well along the blue line to maintain possession and keep pucks from going out.

Brent Burns 03-16-2012 06:46 PM

He needs to learn to stop shooting the puck directly into the nearest possible defender's legs, then we can talk extension

Sharksfan83 03-16-2012 06:48 PM

He should get the same contract as Demers.

As for no offensive game? What? He oozes offensive potential.

Eighth Fret 03-16-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Burns (Post 46199015)
He needs to learn to stop shooting the puck directly into the nearest possible defender's legs, then we can talk extension

?

His shots almost always go through.

BrianSmith 03-16-2012 06:55 PM

Demers type deal. SO glad to see him and Demers playing in the same line up - it only took them to almost fall out of the playoff race for it to happen too!

VP and GM 03-16-2012 07:10 PM

I think he'll get a deal like Demers. One that makes him a RFA with us when it's done.

Les Wynan* 03-16-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superroyain10 (Post 46198767)

Do you watch him play? How do you come to the conclusion he doesn't contribute offensively?

I think what you're trying to say is he hasn't scored many points this year? Which is a terrible way to evaluate the contributions of a defenseman who barely plays on the power play. But if you insist...the Sharks have only scored on 6% of their even strength shots this season when Braun has been on the ice - which is ridiculously, unsustainably low. Even despite that, Braun has recorded more primary assists per 60 minutes than Nicklas Lidstrom, Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson, Brent Seabrook, Cam Fowler, Brian Campbell, Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Niklas Kronwall, Sheldon Souray, John-Michael Liles, Dan Hamhuis, Tomas Kaberle, etc. etc.

Considering the unreliability and inconsistency of the way secondary assists are awarded has been pretty well exposed, that list is a pretty good indication that Braun can contribute offensively, especially when you consider how unlucky the Sharks have been in making their shots when he's on the ice. Or at least that's what I would argue in contract negotiations this summer if I was his agent.

Brent Burns 03-16-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eighth Fret (Post 46199137)
?

His shots almost always go through.

Last couple of games I've noticed this, yes. But every game before that, Braun @ the point = might as well start skating back out of the zone already

Oppa 03-16-2012 07:34 PM

Can't really hate on Braun, the guy flies... sign him

Thepainter 03-16-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Burns (Post 46201001)
Last couple of games I've noticed this, yes. But every game before that, Braun @ the point = might as well start skating back out of the zone already

I'm sorry but you are badly mistaken. Braun is the best Dman on the team at getting shots through.

Vlasic, on the other hand, almost seems like he aims for the defenders legs

StalockSuperfan 03-16-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Braun @ the point = might as well start skating back out of the zone already

Could not disagree more.

Kitten Mittons 03-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepainter (Post 46202445)

Basically every defensive defenseman on our team has that "syndrome."

Burns loves to shoot wide or hit posts, Ehrhoff 2.0.

Brent Burns 03-16-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepainter (Post 46202445)
I'm sorry but you are badly mistaken. Braun is the best Dman on the team at getting shots through.

No, Burns is the best at getting shots through.

But maybe I'm mistaken about Braun? Eh, I remember having this gripe about him for the majority of the season so I'm gonna stand by what I said.

hockeyball 03-16-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Burns (Post 46205525)
No, Burns is the best at getting shots through.

But maybe I'm mistaken about Braun? Eh, I remember having this gripe about him for the majority of the season so I'm gonna stand by what I said.

Burns is the best, without a doubt, Boyle second, then Braun (if we are counting 'through' as on net)

210 03-16-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 46197653)
He can't hit the market. He's an RFA.

In theory another team could sign him and SJ gets whatever the compensation the CBA gives them. I say "in theory" because it hardly ever happens.

sharkfan95 03-16-2012 10:12 PM

Another 7th round gem :) re-sign him to demers like deal:)

maryb 03-17-2012 12:26 AM

braun is making very smart reads in multiple situations, offensively and defensively.

not sure if we're all watching the same games here........

Eighth Fret 03-17-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

You must have been watching another team or not paying attention at all. Braun's shots have been getting through all season. It's even something that's been mentioned in GDT threads by several people here throughout this entire season.

Brent Burns 03-17-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryb (Post 46218843)
braun is making very smart reads in multiple situations, offensively and defensively.

not sure if we're all watching the same games here........

I fully agree. I was just referring to his point shots not going through a lot of times.
(in case this was directed at me)

CHALUPA 03-17-2012 01:29 AM

Pay him all the dollars!

Brent Burns 03-17-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHALUPA (Post 46220417)
Pay him all the dollars!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...oney_super.jpg