HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT : Eli Manning to start this week (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=113751)

Slewfoot 11-15-2004 02:18 PM

OT : Eli Manning to start this week
 
Just heard it reported on WFAN....

007 11-15-2004 02:30 PM

Yep, here's confirmation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1923424

I feel bad for Warner. He's a large part of the reason the Giants got off to the start they did.

xander 11-15-2004 02:32 PM

thank god, it's about time.

Blueshirt13 11-15-2004 03:01 PM

Any chance the Giants had of making the playoffs just ended with this decision. Eli Manning is one of the most overhyped players ever to enter the first round. If his last name wasn't Manning, he would not have been taken where he was. Phillips was a more of an overall complete package and Roethlisberger just had more upside being a raw player (only had two years at QB).

Fletch 11-15-2004 03:04 PM

That's funny..
 
didn't Coughlin just say that Warner would be starting?

Slewfoot 11-15-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
didn't Coughlin just say that Warner would be starting?

After last week's disaster , Coughlin said Warner was still the starter. After the week's disaster he left the door open: "I expect Kurt will start. I think about all those things when I look at the tape, but I expect that right now, yes."

Balej20* 11-15-2004 03:36 PM

This move happened a game and a half too late...Manning should have been plugged into the Bears game at the half...He would have had a great chance to bring the Giants back and it would have given a huge boost to his confidence and started him off on the right foot.... Now, he is basically plugged in with the "Nothing to lose" mentality, as opposed to being the Guy to lead us to the playoffs...Maybe he'll be able to win 5 of 7 and get us in? Ehhh, i doubt it.

Davisian 11-15-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
Any chance the Giants had of making the playoffs just ended with this decision. Eli Manning is one of the most overhyped players ever to enter the first round. If his last name wasn't Manning, he would not have been taken where he was. Phillips was a more of an overall complete package and Roethlisberger just had more upside being a raw player (only had two years at QB).


The guy was just announced for his first start, and you're already calling him overhyped?

And any chance the Giants had of making the playoffs was in DIRE need of a spark on offense. This might be it.

klingsor 11-15-2004 04:03 PM

Might as well.

Too bad he doesn't play offensive tackle.

NYR2 11-15-2004 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
The guy was just announced for his first start, and you're already calling him overhyped?

You say that like you're surprised with that comment. :joker: You should know by now that in this town if you're somewhat of a big name person with a lot of attention, before you even step on the field, ice or court you're overrated or overhyped lol.

Blueshirt13 11-15-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
The guy was just announced for his first start, and you're already calling him overhyped?

And any chance the Giants had of making the playoffs was in DIRE need of a spark on offense. This might be it.

I'm just calling him overhyped by the fact that he was drafted where he was when I think Roethlisberger and Phillips will pan out to be better QBs. Personally I think he was the #1 pick because of the last name.

Of course, I just saw him play live twice, I am not an NFL scout, I have not seen him at practice, and I have not seen him, Phillips and Roethlisberger practice side by side. Just my opinion here. I am just looking at it from the perspective of what I saw from my limited time at the games, from what I have seen of the other QBs, and the number of picks we gave up for him.

For the sake of the Giants, I hope that he plays as well as his brother being what we gave up/passed up on for him (could have picked Phillips/Taylor/Winslow/Roy Williams/Roethlisberger, 1st next year (with the team record it will be high), 3rd in 2004, and 5th next year).

Kloucek's Ghost 11-15-2004 06:32 PM

Who the hell is Phillips? Do you mean Phillip Rivers?

Balej20* 11-15-2004 09:22 PM

Phillips, lol....

ECL 11-16-2004 01:50 AM

In college, Eli was definately on par (and some say better -- I give him a slight edge) then his brother was. We'll see how well that pans out in the NFL.

Blueshirt13 11-16-2004 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloucek's Ghost
Who the hell is Phillips? Do you mean Phillip Rivers?

Sorry you all know who I meant! After getting 6 hours of sleep in 3 days, I was damn tired yesterday.

Davisian 11-16-2004 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
Might as well.

Too bad he doesn't play offensive tackle.


Yeah, they really should have done more in the offseason to go after a mammoth Free Agent Right Tackle.

Diel is developing, but they needed a FA RT.





I pretty much just wanted to create a post using FA RT.




Heh he he he.. I said FA RT..... thrice...

True Blue 11-16-2004 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I'm just calling him overhyped by the fact that he was drafted where he was when I think Roethlisberger and Phillips will pan out to be better QBs. Personally I think he was the #1 pick because of the last name.

First let me state that I am FAR from being a Giant fan or supporter. However, overhyped? How? What has Phillip Rivers done to deserve your praise? For that matter, what has Roethlisberger done to deserve your praise? Roethlisberger plays behind the best offensive line in the AFC, has the top running game in the AFC, and also has one of the top recievers and 3 recievers that are about as good as anyone's outside of Indianappolis. Roethlisberger threw for 120 yards and an interception and the Steelers still won by a huge margin. I would say that yes, Roethlisberger willl be quite good, however, his current success in an utter aberation. How many other rookies started this way? NOT ONE. Not Montana. Not Marino. Not Eli's more famous brother. NO ONE.
Eli Manning is the goods. He was #1 pick for more than just name. Almost every scout and GM had him as the top pick. These guys make a living doing this, so I doubt it was just becuase of his name. To compare Rivers to him is utterly laughable. Rivers does not have anywhere near the arm strength that Eli has. Nor does he have his smarts. Eli has been getting tutored by his brother and father on a pro-style offense for years now. He has been getting prepped on how to conduct himself for several years now.
In a few years, he will be one of the top QB's in the entire league. But to call him overhyped would be just as short-sighted as expecting him to do what Roethlisberger has done. He is not going to. The Giants do not have the same offensive line or recievers as Pittsburgh does. Nor do they have the same defense. Manning will be good, but he needs time.

klingsor 11-16-2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Yeah, they really should have done more in the offseason to go after a mammoth Free Agent Right Tackle.

Diel is developing, but they needed a FA RT.





I pretty much just wanted to create a post using FA RT.




Heh he he he.. I said FA RT..... thrice...

Flatulate is SO much more genteel.

Maybe when you step up to Artsy-Fartsiness, you'll give up these embarrassing vulgarisms.

Must say, the use of "thrice" shows some pompous potential.

Fletch 11-16-2004 10:52 AM

Yeah, really Davisian..
 
I understand you had to let it out, so as to not burst, but you didn't need to hit us all with your bag of wind.

klingsor 11-16-2004 10:56 AM

I think True Blue hit the nail on the head (though there's no guarantee that Eli will fulfill his potential).

Balej20* 11-16-2004 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
I think True Blue hit the nail on the head (though there's no guarantee that Eli will fulfill his potential).


I second that.

Burberry Manning 11-17-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
First let me state that I am FAR from being a Giant fan or supporter. However, overhyped? How? What has Phillip Rivers done to deserve your praise? For that matter, what has Roethlisberger done to deserve your praise? Roethlisberger plays behind the best offensive line in the AFC, has the top running game in the AFC, and also has one of the top recievers and 3 recievers that are about as good as anyone's outside of Indianappolis. Roethlisberger threw for 120 yards and an interception and the Steelers still won by a huge margin. I would say that yes, Roethlisberger willl be quite good, however, his current success in an utter aberation. How many other rookies started this way? NOT ONE. Not Montana. Not Marino. Not Eli's more famous brother. NO ONE.
Eli Manning is the goods. He was #1 pick for more than just name. Almost every scout and GM had him as the top pick. These guys make a living doing this, so I doubt it was just becuase of his name. To compare Rivers to him is utterly laughable. Rivers does not have anywhere near the arm strength that Eli has. Nor does he have his smarts. Eli has been getting tutored by his brother and father on a pro-style offense for years now. He has been getting prepped on how to conduct himself for several years now.
In a few years, he will be one of the top QB's in the entire league. But to call him overhyped would be just as short-sighted as expecting him to do what Roethlisberger has done. He is not going to. The Giants do not have the same offensive line or recievers as Pittsburgh does. Nor do they have the same defense. Manning will be good, but he needs time.

Sums up my opinions perfectly. Eli Manning is my favorite all-time athlete and I have followed everything he has done in his college and now pro football career. Believe me, he is legit. He might get knocked around this year, but so did Elway and Peyton. If you want to call anyone overhyped, it better be Roethlisberger. HAVE YOU SEEN HIS GAMES?! The guy throws 18 passes a game, gets 5 seconds of time to throw, has 8 men in the box, and gets to work with Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress. I COULD FLOURISH UNDER THAT OFFENSE. I remember watching him versus the Eagles and was just laughing my ass off everytime the announcers who proclaim him the best rookie QB ever. He made one pass that entire game that truly impressed me. I saw him throw screens to Hines Ward, who turned that lateral pass into a touchdown. That doesnt take too much talent. Roethlisberger could be a good quarterback in this league but at the moment he is just riding the Steeler's wave and is nothing more than a caretaker.

True Blue 11-17-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue
If you want to call anyone overhyped, it better be Roethlisberger. HAVE YOU SEEN HIS GAMES?!

Let's not get crazy here. Big Ben IS the goods as well, and could very well turn out to be better than Eli. Eli reminds me of another Manning, while Ben reminds me of a young Favre. Roethlisberger is only doing what he supposed to do. Why should he get penalized for playing behind the Pitt O-line? He is what he is. And to say that he is overhyped is to listen to the speakings of those who have not watched lots of football. No one in football is overhyping the kid. He is good and he happens to be playing in a good situation.

"I remember watching him versus the Eagles and was just laughing my ass off "

Wait until you see Eli face the Eagles with that offensive line. You may want to save a chuckle or two for that game.

"Roethlisberger could be a good quarterback in this league but at the moment he is just riding the Steeler's wave and is nothing more than a caretaker"

What is he supposed to do, demand that his offensive line and recievers get benched? Let's not forget that Eli is inheriting one of the best running games in the league as well. Not to mention one of the better tight-ends. Toomer is still a decent reciever.
To me, neither kid is overhyped. The only people that say that are those that root for one or the other. They are what they are. They are both very young and very talented QB's. And while it would not surprise me if Manning becomes every bit as good as his brother, it would also not surprise me if Roethlisberger were to become as good, if not better.

Broadway Brett 11-17-2004 08:36 PM

I think Eli will do better than expected, and we (The Giants) will make the playoffs. Remember that I am a homer, though. He will feel no pressure, and it will seem that he doesn't even know that he is a rookie, is in the NFL, and is in NY. He is so freaking calm, it's unbelieveable. I've met him before, and he acts very care-free. He is also a very nice guy. I don't blame him for not going to SD, they never seem to handle their players well. Every one of their first round picks since Ryan Leaf has not been to training camp on time, and that is about 6 players, so it can't be the players, it has to be the organization. He is an extremely nice guy, and it is unfair to him that he is viewed otherwise. :teach:

Bluenote13 11-17-2004 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
I think Eli will do better than expected, and we (The Giants) will make the playoffs. Remember that I am a homer, though. He will feel no pressure, and it will seem that he doesn't even know that he is a rookie, is in the NFL, and is in NY. He is so freaking calm, it's unbelieveable. I've met him before, and he acts very care-free. He is also a very nice guy. I don't blame him for not going to SD, they never seem to handle their players well. Every one of their first round picks since Ryan Leaf has not been to training camp on time, and that is about 6 players, so it can't be the players, it has to be the organization. He is an extremely nice guy, and it is unfair to him that he is viewed otherwise. :teach:

If the line doesn't hold i'm sure he'll act real 'nice' & calm ;)

350 DT's coming your way junior------->


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.