HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Schenn or Couturier ?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1139003)

zrep 03-19-2012 05:05 AM

Schenn or Couturier ??

hi guys,

what do you think about these two young players for their future ?

thanks

laundryman 03-19-2012 05:57 AM

Schenn looks to be a solid player. I see him topping off around a 65ish point player.

Couturier is one of the most impressive rookies I've ever seen. His poise is astounding for someone so young. His offensive game will come with time (I'm seeing at least a 50 point kind of guy) but his defense will only get better (which is scary to think about)

zrep 03-19-2012 07:54 AM

for Schenn : so second line in the future ??

for Couturier : and his skating ?

Couturier > Schenn ??

markzab 03-19-2012 07:55 AM

They're both full of awesome.

That is all.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-19-2012 08:03 AM

Multiple Selke trophies for both. Probably at least one Norris and Cy Young Awards between them. MAYBE a Vezina or two. I think gold gloves are a little out of reach but you never know.

BillDineen 03-19-2012 08:27 AM

I think Couturier will be both better offensively and defensively. Just my opinion.

chimrichalds18 03-19-2012 08:30 AM

Couturier is quickly becoming my favorite player on this team. Hope he's around for a long time.

GKJ 03-19-2012 08:31 AM

Once Briere leaves:

1. Giroux
2. Schenn
3. Couturier
4. ????
5. Profit

Kaktus* 03-19-2012 08:34 AM

I am a little worried about Schenn.. Honestly, I expected more.

sa cyred 03-19-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroglycerin (Post 46330535)

Saunders and Bundy said it perfectly on 610. When Schenn isnt playing physical he is pretty much invisible.

BillDineen 03-19-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroglycerin (Post 46330535)

I admit I did as well. He show finish with that string of goals he had, but with I do not see many scoring chances created by him. He has only 3 assists in 44 games and has had PP time. His physical game is great though.

chimrichalds18 03-19-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 46330765)
Saunders and Bundy said it perfectly on 610. When Schenn isnt playing physical he is pretty much invisible.

Yep. He played somebody -- I think it was Crosby -- perfectly yesterday. Muscled him off the puck behind our net and started a breakout. That's the kind of defensive play from a center we need.

BillDineen 03-19-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 46330765)

There have been a number of players like that. When Lupul was physical he played much better with the Flyers. Coburn plays better when he is angry. JVR plays better when he plays more physical and drives to the net.

Vikke 03-19-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46330459)
Once Briere leaves:

1. Giroux
2. Schenn
3. Couturier
4. ????
5. Profit

Who's this Profit kid and why isn't he the 4th line C instead of the as of yet unknown?

Appleyard 03-19-2012 09:21 AM

I think Schenn has looked good in the last few games, but things are not going his way.

Couturier is the best defensive rookie forward in this league since the lockout along with Jordan Staal and Ryan O'Reilly. His work on the PK is insanely good, last night he matched up to Malkin most of the game and did a damn good job.

He has also done pretty well offensively considering who he has spent most of the year playing with, there have been so many occasions where he has given fantastic passes that have been flubbed, or been in a perfect position for a pass and his linemates gave him one to the feet or missed him completely.

He is also damn strong along the boards for a kid who just turned 19... and can lay the body hard when needs be (hit on Letang last night.)

He plays with the worst quality of teammates (-0.284).
Yet against the 5th best opposition (0.032).
He also has the best On-Ice Team Goals Against per 60 Minutes, with 1.64.
He also has only 40.4% offensive zone starts, yet 45.1% offensive zone finishes... the best difference on the team, he also has best on ice +/- per 60 on the team.

If you go through the advanced defensive stats, Couturier is top of all our skaters for almost all of them, as a 19 year old. In 5 years time he will be a ~60point guy with Selke calibre defence. He is that good.

The Flin Flon Bomber 03-19-2012 09:22 AM

Seeing Schenn in person yesterday, I'm concerned. He seemed to have problems controlling the puck and giving up a lot of turnovers. Of course, the whole team had problems, but I seemed noticed it with Schenn more. Couts seemed more confident and fluid with the puck.

Anyone have any info on the turnovers yesterday? I could be completely off base.

Kaktus* 03-19-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber (Post 46331715)
Seeing Schenn in person yesterday, I'm concerned. He seemed to have problems controlling the puck and giving up a lot of turnovers. Of course, the whole team had problems, but I seemed noticed it with Schenn more. Couts seemed more confident and fluid with the puck.

Anyone have any info on the turnovers yesterday? I could be completely off base.

He committed no turnovers but he did give the puck away. A number of Flyers did.

Broad Street Elite 03-19-2012 10:29 AM

Couturier = Patrice Bergeron

Scheen, I'm not sure on. He'll get a pass from me for this season, but I'll expect significant improvement next season.

Cyborg LeClair 03-19-2012 11:37 AM

Couturier has blown me away this season. I hope he plays with us for many years because he shows signs of being a 60point selke player and I love it.

Schenn is decent, i didnt know what to expect out of him, but I'm betting on him breaking out in the playoffs and following up with 50points or more next season.

My concern right now is that one of them will be traded to land a defensemen in the offseason and while i dont want to lose either of them, I'd prefer to lose Schenn over Couts

The Flin Flon Bomber 03-19-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroglycerin (Post 46332361)
He committed no turnovers but he did give the puck away. A number of Flyers did.

Yeah it was a sloppy game all around. But Schenn I noted for extra sloppiness. Might have just been me focusing on him more than other players for whatever reason.

Briere was just as bad until the 3rd, as well.

OriginJM 03-19-2012 11:50 AM

Coming in at his age and the way his shot looks when it's on...

Couts reminds me a good deal of Simon Gagne.

I miss Gags, so I hope we can have another.

phillyflyerfan1992 03-19-2012 12:00 PM

Couturier reminds me of Jordan Staal, except without the staggering goal totals in his rookie campaign. Top notch defensively and making an impact right out of the draft, but it's probably going to be a few years before we see what he's capable of offensively.

Schenn reminds me of TJ Oshie, lots of potential + lots of hype but probably going top out as a solid, 60pt two-way player who can play center, wing, PK or powerplay and plays with a lot of physicality.

PJStock* 03-19-2012 12:22 PM

Schenn needs to get a lot stronger, first of all. He doesn't have that 'heavy stick' that even a younger guy like Couturier has. It might have been from all the injuries, I'm not sure, but he looks pretty timid and weak a lot of the time.

Stizzle 03-19-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46330459)
Once Briere leaves:

1. Giroux
2. Schenn
3. Couturier
4. ????
5. Profit

LOL, online poker much?

sobrien 03-19-2012 12:42 PM

The way I look at things is vs. the benchmark...and the benchmark is pittsburgh. For the future:

Giroux vs. Crosby
Schenn vs. Malkin
Couturier vs. Staal
Cousins/Holmstrom vs. Vitale

I like those future matchups