HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Damn... fans have really given up (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1139645)

Emanresu Wen 03-19-2012 09:48 PM

Damn... fans have really given up

Lately, everytime I hear people talking about the Canadiens out in the public it has always been negative.

Heck, even the janitor at my university's sports complex and gym opened up his heart today. He's usually not much of a talker, really just minding his business keeping the place clean. But today I overheard him talk for a good 5 minutes with another man while I was changing in the dressing room. The poor dude was pouring his heart out saying how the players just don't care anymore, they can't even give a small bit of entertainment during a loss.

Almost all of my friends stopped following this season months ago, nobody knows who frigging Rene Bourque is.

During Montreal Impact's season opener, various TV workers interviewed fans over there and when they asked questions about the Habs, they either turned their head away or laughed.

I definitely think that the tanking ideology only exists online, because fans outside of a computer box definitely want its team to win, no matter the circumstances.

pine* 03-19-2012 09:52 PM

It's never fun to lose. But it's for the best.

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen (Post 46370457)
Lately, everytime I hear people talking about the Canadiens out in the public it has always been negative.

Heck, even the janitor at my university's sports complex and gym opened up his heart today. He's usually not much of a talker, really just minding his business keeping the place clean. But today I overheard him talk for a good 5 minutes with another man while I was changing in the dressing room. The poor dude was pouring his heart out saying how the players just don't care anymore, they can't even give a small bit of entertainment during a loss.

Almost all of my friends stopped following this season months ago, nobody knows who frigging Rene Bourque is.

During Montreal Impact's season opener, various TV workers interviewed fans over there and when they asked questions about the Habs, they either turned their head away or laughed.

I definitely think that the tanking ideology only exists online, because fans outside of a computer box definitely want its team to win, no matter the circumstances.

It's hard to watch. And what makes it worse is that it's not by design and we've gone for quick fixes even as we've sunk to the bottom. It's one thing to lose and trade vets for picks and prospects, it's a whole other bag of wax to do it and stick yourself with Kaberle and Bourque at the same time. Giving away AK for a 2nd sucks as well.

We've made any future rebuild as painful as possible and that's what sucks.

Ollie Williams 03-19-2012 09:58 PM

The truth of it is most fans don't look at drafts and team progress the way the "online" guys do. Most of the guys you mention, probably don't know who Yakupov is for example. I think if they looked a little deeper than the W/L column and the score of a game, they would see that maybe we'll finally address a need with this disaster of a season by drafting high.

It's, really, only a minority that follows the stats and prospects and posts on forums about these.

Em Ancien 03-19-2012 10:02 PM

It was a beautiful day outside, I was making burgers, I opened the tv to watch some hockey. It felt like playoff season. Yet no playoffs there will be for us. :(

Beaker 03-19-2012 10:20 PM

I had saved away the ridiculous amount of money playoffs usually cost me. Now I'll have to blow it on something else to get my mind off of hockey- like hookers I guess. I'll weigh my options in April.

habtastic 03-19-2012 10:25 PM

I find it hard to believe that even "offline" people aren't aware of the draft or of its concept, but yeah, would explain the disappointment. I think when you talk about the Habs' season, it's a pretty sad affair, but IF we get that lottery pick, the city will be abuzz about who we pick. This is a hockey city. People know what's going on (take the drafting of Leblanc for example, great moment).

if we don't get the lottery, it really WILL be a horrific season. As much as RC and the players aren't going to lose on purpose, I just wonder as a GM, an owner, anyone interested in the long-term or even impending future of this team, how you can not understand how important it is to...uh...not excel, in the last 9 games.
We obviously can't count on the other teams to win, they absolutely suck and we are a better team. Wrong time to start showing it. What the hell happened in Minny that caused such a huge drop? Toronto, not shocking.

Serious HABit 03-19-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaker (Post 46374299)
I had saved away the ridiculous amount of money playoffs usually cost me. Now I'll have to blow it on something else to get my mind off of hockey- like hookers I guess. I'll weigh my options in April.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3...56xh4w09bh.jpg

Belso 03-19-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie Williams (Post 46371731)
The truth of it is most fans don't look at drafts and team progress the way the "online" guys do. Most of the guys you mention, probably don't know who Yakupov is for example. I think if they looked a little deeper than the W/L column and the score of a game, they would see that maybe we'll finally address a need with this disaster of a season by drafting high.

It's, really, only a minority that follows the stats and prospects and posts on forums about these.

Agree 100%. It's not that I want the Habs to suck forever.. It's just that now that the Habs are not making the play-offs and are having one of the worst years in history, It's a rare chance to pick up a great player at the draft. My brother has been watching the Habs for as long as I have. Over 20 years. But he doesn't follow anything outside the NHL. He doesn't know any players in Hamilton and he sure doesn't follow the draft like I do. After I explained to him why I want the Habs to tank this season he couldn't agree with me more..

haburger 03-19-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen (Post 46370457)

Those aren't fans dude. They re pretenders living in fantasy land. If you re a fan you support no matter what.I can't stand people who bail out. It seems very popular here.

Teufelsdreck 03-19-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em Ancien (Post 46372181)
It was a beautiful day outside, I was making burgers, I opened the tv to watch some hockey. It felt like playoff season. Yet no playoffs there will be for us. :(

Imagine you're a five-year-old in Toronto. You ask your father, "Daddy, why don't the other teams ever let the Maple Leafs play hockey when it gets warm? The Maple Leafs should play just as long as everyone else. I think it's mean."

Myron Gaines* 03-19-2012 10:49 PM

Not "real fans", real fans stick with their teams even when it's losing, hence the reason why people calling tankers in this board "fake fans" make me laugh.

AllanMTL46 03-19-2012 10:50 PM

It's tough. Believe me, it's tough.

Teufelsdreck 03-19-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAlone (Post 46377121)
Not "real fans", real fans stick with their teams even when it's losing, hence the reason why people calling tankers in this board "fake fans" make me laugh.

It would serve the tankards right if the Habs got high draft choices several years in a row and still didn't make the playoffs. Their perverse gloating would choke them, the way those blokes in Ontario perennially suffer.

Haaabs 03-19-2012 10:59 PM

I know a lot of us feel that we always want our team to win but we've been losing so much that you just eventually cheer yourself up by telling yourself that its better for the future of the team to finish last than to finish 10th.

Also, I agree with the janitor. There's two kinds of losses, one where the team plays hard and the other where the team doesn't care and gives up before the first faceoff. The latter is really just blah. Makes me sad as **** when the team doesn't bother showing up to a game.

sharks9 03-19-2012 11:02 PM

I don't worry about it too much, this team will win eventually and when they do all those fans will come back.

In other news, Minnesota won which helps our cause for this season :handclap:

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haburger (Post 46375557)
Those aren't fans dude. They re pretenders living in fantasy land. If you re a fan you support no matter what.I can't stand people who bail out. It seems very popular here.

Defending every move your team makes is just as bad as criticizing everything they do.

The folks "bailing out" as you call it are actually doing something for the team by speaking with their wallets. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Esp when you have a gongshow mgmt team. Maybe if more people did this we'd see some better players on the ice.

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharks9 (Post 46378185)
I don't worry about it too much, this team will win eventually and when they do all those fans will come back.

Thank God. I thought they'd never win another game.

RaMMuT 03-19-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharks9 (Post 46378185)

We're back in 3rd place!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/..._4056741_n.jpg

The Gal Pals 03-19-2012 11:21 PM

I'm glad we're tanking rather than being on the cusp of a playoff appearance because it's better for the longterm. But if anyone talks to me about the Habs I still shake my head and say "****ing Habs...". A high draft pick is only a consolation prize. There's nothing to be happy about now. We're all just hoping and praying that this bottom-dwelling status is short-lived and we'll be able to rebound with a good prospect. A real fan can't be happy or proud about the current state of affairs.

22Brad Park 03-19-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habtastic (Post 46374921)
I find it hard to believe that even "offline" people aren't aware of the draft or of its concept, but yeah, would explain the disappointment. I think when you talk about the Habs' season, it's a pretty sad affair, but IF we get that lottery pick, the city will be abuzz about who we pick. This is a hockey city. People know what's going on (take the drafting of Leblanc for example, great moment).

if we don't get the lottery, it really WILL be a horrific season. As much as RC and the players aren't going to lose on purpose, I just wonder as a GM, an owner, anyone interested in the long-term or even impending future of this team, how you can not understand how important it is to...uh...not excel, in the last 9 games.
We obviously can't count on the other teams to win, they absolutely suck and we are a better team. Wrong time to start showing it. What the hell happened in Minny that caused such a huge drop? Toronto, not shocking.

You have a chance to draft a player that will be way better then Le Blanc,;)

Maliki2 03-19-2012 11:28 PM

I was at the game on Saturday.....it was about as dead as I have ever heard it. Pathetic.

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airic000 (Post 46379725)
I'm glad we're tanking rather than being on the cusp of a playoff appearance because it's better for the longterm. But if anyone talks to me about the Habs I still shake my head and say "****ing Habs...". A high draft pick is only a consolation prize. There's nothing to be happy about now. We're all just hoping and praying that this bottom-dwelling status is short-lived and we'll be able to rebound with a good prospect. A real fan can't be happy or proud about the current state of affairs.

Nobody is happy about it.

SB164 03-19-2012 11:29 PM

I have no idea how Leafs fans manage to even raise their hopes up at the start of every season. At least the Habs usually tend to make the playoffs, but it's been what, 5 going on 6 years since the Leafs haven't made the playoffs? Jeez.

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB164 (Post 46380335)
I have no idea how Leafs fans manage to even raise their hopes up at the start of every season. At least the Habs usually tend to make the playoffs, but it's been what, 5 going on 6 years since the Leafs haven't made the playoffs? Jeez.

Longest active streak without a cup and longest active streak without making the playoffs. They are the Chicago Cubs of hockey.