HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alex Roach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1139923)

cnshockey 03-20-2012 02:48 AM

Alex Roach

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown on Alex's game. The Kings seem to have a lot of puck moving defenseman prospects but not a ton who project to be shutdown dman. I know he went undrafted but in his draft year he was on an awful Hitmen team so it must have been hard for anyone on that team to look good.

If anyone could answer one or all of these questions, that'd be great:
What are his biggest assets and what does he do well in his game?
Where does he need improvement?
Where does he project to fit in to an NHL lineup, if at all?
Any comparisons?
What style of defenseman is he? IE does he like to use an active stick, does he take the body, does he do both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Renegade Stylings 03-20-2012 12:07 PM

Very solid player. Hits hard, plays physical, blocks shots, can move the puck, hard shot. Could use work on his foot speed and just overall skating in general.

Might take him some time to adjust to the pro game once he gets there, but he could be a solid depth defenceman in the NHL one day.

Aaron Vickers 03-20-2012 01:08 PM

He often makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck and is one I would consider a turnover machine. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he regressed this year. I'm not sure he has NHL upside, to be honest.

cnshockey 03-20-2012 02:06 PM

Interesting to see two contrasting opinions from two posters I respect and trust :laugh:

Renegade Stylings 03-20-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnshockey (Post 46406089)
Interesting to see two contrasting opinions from two posters I respect and trust :laugh:

AV lives in Calgary and has therefore seen him about 10x as much, I'm sure. With that being said, I still stand by my assessment of him and think he's not a bad prospect that could one day be an NHLer with the right seasoning.

kingsfan 03-20-2012 03:44 PM

I'm speaking as a Kings fan, but not with biase as I've never actually seen Roach play and am just commenting on what I've heard/read about him. If I'm incorrect, let me know.

From what I gather, Roach is similar to a young Jay Harrison. A solid, but not overly-physical (IE could use his size/strength more) who is prone to poor timed turnovers and misreads while not possessing the best skating skills either. I remember watching Harrison with the Battalion, and I never thought he'd reach the NHL, outside of maybe a cup of coffee. I was almost right, but Harrison has pleasently surprised me and made his mark as a depth defenseman in Carolina who had to work hard to get there.

I see Roach's path to the NHL the same way, though I hope it's not as long and runs through the Kings system solely. Roach will need his full junior career to be spent and then likely three full AHL seasons just to come around. He is a long road project whose lack of smarts and questionable skating is off-set by his work ethic, willingness to learn and overall above average physical attributes.

Aaron Vickers 03-23-2012 12:06 AM

Roach actually played wing tonight in Calgary's first playoff game against the Brandon Wheat Kings.

He was phenomenal as a forward (as much as a defenseman moving up can be). He was physical, good on the cycle and generated a chance or two. I'd personally like to see him have an extended stint at forward.

cnshockey 03-23-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers (Post 46568363)
Roach actually played wing tonight in Calgary's first playoff game against the Brandon Wheat Kings.

He was phenomenal as a forward (as much as a defenseman moving up can be). He was physical, good on the cycle and generated a chance or two. I'd personally like to see him have an extended stint at forward.

:laugh:

I'm sure Kings management won't really enjoy that. We've had quite a few people switch between forward and D and none have had any real success for us. Does he have any sort of scoring touch?

Aaron Vickers 03-23-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnshockey (Post 46592237)
:laugh:

I'm sure Kings management won't really enjoy that. We've had quite a few people switch between forward and D and none have had any real success for us. Does he have any sort of scoring touch?

No scoring touch at all, but the best he's looked all season was in his 16 or so minutes as a forward in Game 1.

I'd imagine the Kings would rather he play in the game - regardless of position - then be a healthy scratch as well, which was/is a distinct possibility.

Aaron Vickers 03-23-2012 11:24 PM

Roach, playing wing again, had a goal and an assist in Calgary's 4-0 win over Brandon. For his efforts he was named 2nd star.

damacles1156 03-23-2012 11:27 PM

LA needs more Forward depth in the Minors on the wings. They would probably welcome him to switch.

cnshockey 03-24-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers (Post 46625295)
Roach, playing wing again, had a goal and an assist in Calgary's 4-0 win over Brandon. For his efforts he was named 2nd star.

Any details on the goal and assist? Was it a garbage tap in goal in front? And did he actually set up the play for the assist?

zjh 03-24-2012 04:31 PM

Snipe high glove off the right side. #roachmania

Aaron Vickers 03-25-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnshockey (Post 46642015)
Any details on the goal and assist? Was it a garbage tap in goal in front? And did he actually set up the play for the assist?

Shot was a rocket from roughly the top of the circle after taking a cross-ice feed. His assist came on a deflection by Trevor Cheek, another bomb of a shot.

Reaper45 03-26-2012 01:16 PM

Is he playing on the right or left wing?

lakai17 12-11-2012 04:26 PM

Kings scouts are dynamite.

Money Baer 12-11-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers (Post 46403235)
He often makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck and is one I would consider a turnover machine. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he regressed this year. I'm not sure he has NHL upside, to be honest.

I'm a season ticket holder and agree with this assessment. I don't think he makes the NHL... Maybe a career AHLer. I really hope he improves his game and makes the jump.

lakai17 12-11-2012 06:57 PM

he's +18

kingsfan 12-12-2012 08:38 AM

+19 according to hockeydb.

Either way, I'll admit I've been plesently surprised by his offensive output, but I still at this time don't see him making much of an offensive impact at the NHL level. I stand by what I said earlier, though his versatility (played wing in the playoffs last year) could help him out. How he does next year will determine if he's bound for the AHL or a stint in the ECHL after his junior days are done, but considering all the defensemen LA will have coming out of junior and college in the next few seasons, as well as what will likely be several young D-men in the NHL, he'll be in for a long wait getting to the NHL.