HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: 4 more years of Gomez? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1140027)

Em Ancien 03-20-2012 09:24 AM

4 more years of Gomez?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...CfloDY.twitter

Quote:

According to Patrice Brisebois, now of TVA Sport, Scott Gomez eagerly awaits a buyout at the end of the season and hopes to have another chance with the New Jersey Devils.
This trade just keeps on giving.

Andy 03-20-2012 09:25 AM

Didn't Patrice Brisebois also say that Vancouver had a done deal on trade deadline for like Bobby Ryan or something similar to that?

I'm very skeptical with what he reports.

CrAzYNiNe 03-20-2012 09:26 AM

Boring... Buyout would be really silly.

OneSharpMarble 03-20-2012 09:27 AM

No buyout, minors or europe. I don't want to see his ****ing face in the nhl for the remainder of his career.

Habs 4 Life 03-20-2012 09:27 AM

I hope it's not a buyout, send him to Hamilton or in the KHL on loan

Bryson 03-20-2012 09:34 AM

I have nothing personal against Gomez as I really don't think it's for a lack of effort. He's just not very good any more.

Is there anyway of having his contract not affect our cap hit? 7.5mil is a lot of money that could go towards getting a very good player. My understanding is that his contract will affect our cap hit even with a buy out?

Le depisteur 03-20-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 46393283)
Didn't Patrice Brisebois also say that Vancouver had a done deal on trade deadline for like Bobby Ryan or something similar to that?

I'm very skeptical with what he reports.

Corey Perry...

Joe Cole 03-20-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryson (Post 46393553)
I have nothing personal against Gomez as I really don't think it's for a lack of effort. He's just not very good any more.

Is there anyway of having his contract not affect our cap hit? 7.5mil is a lot of money that could go towards getting a very good player. My understanding is that his contract will affect our cap hit even with a buy out?

Yes.

There is a calculation of the remaining term and $. The term is extended and the amount is halved and spread over that time period.

So, if he is bought out, as the thread title says, the Habs will carry a cap hit for Gomez if they buy him out.

This is the reason other posters have said to send him to the AHL or Europe, because in those scenarios, his cap hit is erased completely.

VAN-HAB 03-20-2012 09:45 AM

I would like to take this opportunity and say:

**** you BG!

llamateizer 03-20-2012 09:47 AM

I thought it was an extension :(

Agnostic 03-20-2012 09:48 AM

Bad ideas seem very plausible when your GM is a retard.

yianik 03-20-2012 09:49 AM

I get it that owners of teams want to make money and so looking at taking a bath on a contract isnt appealling. At the same time if you want to build a winner with the financial upside of going deeper into play-offs in future years, then you should step up and take the albatross from around your teams neck. A send down to the AHL of Gomez clears us of his salary completely, a buy-out reduces the cap hit alot, but is a drag for 4 years, especially if the cap is reduced. My guess is Gillet would send him down and eat the loss in full, Im guesiing, for some reason just based on my feeling, that Molson will go half measure and buy him out.

Captain Smurf 03-20-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 46394021)
Bad ideas seem very plausible when your GM is a retard.

Sad but true. Still, when that GM is a lame duck and the President and owner is likely making the decisions it becomes less likely.

bcv 03-20-2012 09:52 AM

Won't happen until the new CBA is approved. Will surely have an amnesty buyout.

Hawkguy 03-20-2012 09:53 AM

If we buy him out, I give up caring.

That's like letting a murderer out of prison earlier and handing him a gun.

Kriss E 03-20-2012 09:53 AM

Brisebois is an insider now?
:biglaugh:

There's two possibilities. Buy out or sent down. No news there.

Joe Cole 03-20-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB (Post 46393923)
I would like to take this opportunity and say:

**** you BG!

He can share some of that with PG, his head of pro scouting and assistant GM who curiously lived in the NYC area and watched/attended all the NYR/NJD/NYI and Pennsylvania games....

There is enough bad to go around

Myron Gaines* 03-20-2012 09:56 AM

We've seen so many dark days in hab history, but this is dark, really dark.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...ncerthread.png

Halifaxhab 03-20-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 46394195)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

et voila! bcv is a hockey insider just like Brisebois. A little common sense and you have an answer. Brisebois. shame you can't boo an article

beowulf 03-20-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 46394195)

Here is hoping but nothing is certain in that regards.

The n00b King 03-20-2012 10:02 AM

All you have to look at is the numbers.

a) How much money will Gomez make on the remainder of his contract?

b) How much would it cost the team to buy him out.

If b is less than a, then it just makes sense to do b. Even if it's over a longer period of time. Besides, either way you're penalized for the first two years, the remaining years on the cap are pretty insignificant.

I just don't see it happening that he would get put in the AHL. It's not like he is likely to report anyways. And I'm sure the team does not want him to go down there and potentially "poison" the locker room.

I think a buyout is the likeliest of solutions. Unless Gomez somehow finds a serious dose of "give a ******".

Halifaxhab 03-20-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The n00b King (Post 46394659)

If b is less than a, then it just makes sense to do b. Even if it's over a longer period of time. Besides, either way you're penalized for the first two years, the remaining years on the cap are pretty insignificant.

I just don't see it happening that he would get put in the AHL. It's not like he is likely to report anyways. And I'm sure the team does not want him to go down there and potentially "poison" the locker room.

I think a buyout is the likeliest of solutions. Unless Gomez somehow finds a serious dose of "give a ******".

or
c) We're not the Islanders and we need all our cap space to be used on actual roster players so a buyout takes some of that away on useless player contract/s.

A team as rich as MTL can afford to pay him to play in Europe or ECHL for Alaska. anywhere but here.

Also an Amnesty buyout is a very good possibility this summer

SeriousHabs 03-20-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

b is less than a, but that doesn't make it a good option.

RaMMuT 03-20-2012 10:09 AM

4 more years of Gomez???

http://www.wall-mag.com/wp-content/u...-real-life.jpg

llamateizer 03-20-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

not really
you have to replace him with a player

your salary cap is lowered by 4 millions with no player signed.
unless you find a player with 3 millions that is able to replace Gomez.
Is Bourque better than Gomez?

The AHL option is simple

you pay his salary and you have a 7.3 millions free cap space.
if you are lucky enough, someone will take him for nothing.

otherwise, you dont call him up for the rest of the season. (habs will pay 1/2 of his salary cap if claimed)