HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Speculation: Time to extend Fraser (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1140859)

10 ft. pole 03-21-2012 01:38 AM

Time to extend Fraser

Dude has been a spitfire all year and plays his ass off every night. 2 years 750k per should do it?

What killed our start this year was too much turnover. Don't want to
See it happen again. I'm also really liking Lewis and his speed.

Live in the Now 03-21-2012 01:39 AM

Agreed, fourth line is good, and most importantly stable and lacking whipping boy types. Do it.

Herby 03-21-2012 01:47 AM

No problem at all with that type of deal.

Myself and others have mentioned the word "Identity" when it comes to bottom lines. Having to watch guys like Moreau, Stoll, Hunter, Penner etc play on the bottom lines while adding nothing to the team was very frustrating.

Our 4th line has an energy identity, and Clifford and Nolan should only get better.

Holden Caulfield 03-21-2012 01:55 AM

I don't mind what Fraser brings, but I think that there might be better options out there. Honestly with the big wingers in Nolan and Clifford that can grind it out, I think am UFA like Jim Slater that is fantastic defensively, wins faceoffs, great Pker, can chip in offensively is the perfect fit between those two much more than Fraser. I think Cliche on the farm might be that exact type of player as well.

Rod Buskas* 03-21-2012 01:57 AM

I want him back. It should be cheap too. 2 year extension for 1m a year ?

ShattStar03 03-21-2012 02:00 AM

How about no..

CNS 03-21-2012 02:07 AM

No. Dean didn't even want him. He fought to not have him. And with his play, either grab someone in free agency or fill the role with a prospect like Cliche.

vh2k7 03-21-2012 02:13 AM

Fraser has been pretty solid in his role but I just don't see him being brought back. Hope I'm wrong, to an extent, but I wouldn't be heartbroken or even mildly upset if he wasn't.

savemefromtears 03-21-2012 02:20 AM

If you don't want Fraser back for $1 million and under then you are delusional.

That 4th line has brought it every game even though it doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

Ziggy Stardust 03-21-2012 02:28 AM

$1M is a bit much for a fourth line plug. If he'll take $750K, sure, although I prefer someone with a little bit more skill on the fourth line. I do like his abrasiveness.

Homunculous 03-21-2012 08:37 AM

He is turning out to be what management wanted Zeiler to be when they signed him to his 1 way. Perfect for the 4th line and I can't see him getting more than 1mil per if even that. No need to let him go in hopes of finding an upgrade, keep him and focus on getting Sutter some improvements on the staff.

Nex06 03-21-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Buskas (Post 46453569)
I want him back. It should be cheap too. 2 year extension for 1m a year ?

1M?! Come on. What comes next, Stoll @ 5M? He has to take less or else he can try his luck elsewhere.

Sydor25 03-21-2012 08:54 AM

Really depends on what Dean does with Penner and Stoll. Can Dean get Holloway back from Europe for the 3rd line? Does he want a "scoring" third line with Gagne-Loktionov-Holloway? This moves Lewis to 4th line center with Clifford and Nolan.

Lewis > Fraser

kingsfan 03-21-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 46453547)
I don't mind what Fraser brings, but I think that there might be better options out there. Honestly with the big wingers in Nolan and Clifford that can grind it out, I think am UFA like Jim Slater that is fantastic defensively, wins faceoffs, great Pker, can chip in offensively is the perfect fit between those two much more than Fraser. I think Cliche on the farm might be that exact type of player as well.

As always, spot on buddy. If Fraser resigns, I'm ok with it. He's been solid for us for sure and I agree with what Herby said, identity is important.

That said, there are better option out there, and Fraser is a cast off that really Edmonton and LA didn't want which became a game of hot potato over who got stuck with him. He's been better than expected, but he hasn't been great or anything. He scored in his third game of the season I think and hasn't scored a goal since. We can get just as good of a player who can chip in a bit more offensively on that 4th line, and after the season we've had, who doesn't want more goals? I'd gladly take Slater over Fraser, though I think Fraser is a better 5-on-5 guy defensively than Slater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by savemefromtears (Post 46453911)

That 4th line has brought it every game even though it doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

$1 million is to much. What he's getting now is to much, it should be around $650,000 per season. The guy hasn't scored a goal in like 55 games. Come on. Bring it or not, there are dozens of players in this league who bring parts, all or more than all of what Fraser brings for under $1 million annually.

I also don't think that A) the fourth line has shown up every game, and B) that Fraser is the glue guy making that 4th line run.

Frankly, Fraser is our Willie Mitchell up front. We love him because he rarely makes a mistake and brings what we expect most every shift. That's great, but when what we expect is seven points and a 55 game goalless drought while getting 9:39 a game in ice time (third worst on the team, just barely ahead of Kyle Clifford), we should be able to find a better option than Fraser for $1 million.

If he doesn't want to take a pay cut to the $750,000 range at least, axe him IMO.

TwoForRoughing 03-21-2012 09:58 AM

I do feel I was a bit harsh on Fraser, but I would definitely not give him an extension. He has played his ass off, but there are better options out there.

Buddy The Elf 03-21-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 46458403)
Really depends on what Dean does with Penner and Stoll. Can Dean get Holloway back from Europe for the 3rd line? Does he want a "scoring" third line with Gagne-Loktionov-Holloway? This moves Lewis to 4th line center with Clifford and Nolan.

Lewis > Fraser

I think the third line is what needs an upgrade and personally, I'd rather have a guy like Fraser on the 4th line than Lewis. Clifford/Fraser/Nolan gives the Kings a real 4th line with 3 big bodies who hit, fight and can cycle the puck. The 4th line played great last night cycling the puck for whole shifts on multiple occasions.

Muzzinga 03-21-2012 11:52 AM

if rather bring in a better 3rd line winger for Lewis and have Lewis on the 4th

Fraser is fine, but he is a dime a dozen 4th line centre

DryIslandBartender 03-22-2012 12:04 AM

It's time to bring Cliche up next season and would likely be cheaper than Fraser.

Kingurentai 03-22-2012 12:21 AM

He is the only guy that did his job every night.even during the slump.

I'd gladly take him on the cheap.

Fishhead 03-22-2012 12:30 AM

His play down the stretch and (hockey gods willing) the playoffs, will determine whether he is brought back next year.

I'm ambivalent about the guy. I love his compete level, but it's not like he's not replaceable. If he isn't brought back, I would want a younger, hungry player that suits the role. No more old retreads that used to be on scoring lines playing out their careers, please.

kingsfan 03-22-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy (Post 46508319)
It's time to bring Cliche up next season and would likely be cheaper than Fraser.

Yeah, this pretty much. Cliche has earned a shot at the role and it would be easier to fill roles like this from within. It'd also be cheaper, as Cliche likely would resign for no more than $600,000.

TwoForRoughing 03-22-2012 10:33 AM

I'd rather have Cliche.

ibleedkings 03-22-2012 12:13 PM

Im fine either way. I wish he would put up a few more points though. He works his ass off every game, but he needs to scoring a bit more.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 03-22-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savemefromtears (Post 46453911)

Savemefromtears gets it.

kingsfan 03-22-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 46525385)
Savemefromtears gets it.

Not at all. There's few examples of players producing like Colin Fraser does, playing as few minutes as Colin Fraser does, getting even close to $1 million. And some of those who do are enforcers, who can't be lumped into the same role.

Fraser is getting the love only because he's met expectations, which were quite low when he came in. Many were surprised he didn't get waived the minute he came off the IR. The fact he hasn't embarrassed himself out there is where the love comes from.

I like Fraser too, but what he brings can be replaced by countless others in the NHL and in fact, what he brings should be what we expect at the very minimum from any NHL player outside of maybe your typical enforcer; play nine-plus minutes of hockey and don't screw up while winning the odd faceoff.

If you want to pay $1 million for that, that's your call. I'd be way more than comfortable calling up Cliche to do what Fraser does. Heck, I'd even call up Clune if I knew the penalties wouldn't be so high with him.

Fraser is a nice player, I have no ill will towards him, but $1 million is, on a percentage basis, well out of his price range.