HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Schenn under the tutelage of Carlyle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1141283)

tony135420 03-21-2012 04:38 PM

Schenn under the tutelage of Carlyle

Been noticing alot of trade proposals involving Schenn, and rightfully so I guess. He's been performing sub par, to put it nicely, for the last 2 seasons and I believe that's because of the system he's been forced to play in. High octane, offense first style didn't suit him one bit. It set his development back a couple years at best. Give this kid a year under Carlyle's system, and we'll see the true potential of Schenn.

I hope we give him, at least, a season to get back on track before he's shipped out.

threeGo 03-21-2012 05:01 PM

Schenn + 1st 2013 + kadri for Clb 1st + 2nd

cookie 03-21-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeGo (Post 46477987)

And what if the 2013 first is top 3?

SeenSchenn2 03-21-2012 05:03 PM

I agree he'll flourish under Carlyle. He's already been noticeably better.

That said, if he's needed to move up in the draft, then good luck to him.

Erza Scarlet 03-21-2012 05:04 PM

I don't think he will succeed in this market and I'm been one that given him some leeway but no more. Foot speed can be improved, but his decision making and the ability to handle pressure will likely never improve with him. I'm okay with trading him.

Erza Scarlet 03-21-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 46478059)
I agree he'll flourish under Carlyle. He's already been noticeably better.

That said, if he's needed to move up in the draft, then good luck to him.

I still see him making the same mistakes he made with Wilson. He just seems to be getting less beaten in foot races.

Phion Keneuf 03-21-2012 05:05 PM

last season he was our best dman

threeGo 03-21-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 46478047)

Not a chance. We'll have the additions of Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Schultz onto our team and only have to give up schenn who's the only current roster player. Then we just need a veteran goalie and we should be good for the playoffs and 10 years in the future.

Phion Keneuf 03-21-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeGo (Post 46477987)

if that 1st goes anywhere i will seriously get pissed off ... but for Nail i would do it i guess

how about Clb 1st 2012 + Clb 1st 2013 ... we should send them all of LACK and convince them that they are now cup contenders

:sarcasm:

IBeL13f 03-21-2012 05:07 PM

I wouldn't give up on Schenn for several more years. He's going to be an absolute monster in this League for a long time. He's already shown in his short career that he's capable of a dominating style of play.

BertCorbeau 03-21-2012 05:09 PM

As with all young players, Schenn struggles with consistency. People need to be more patient with him as he develops. The fact that he's proven throughout his career so far that he's able to be a good defender for long stretches in the NHL shows he has the ability, he just needs time to figure it all out to be a consistent force on the blue line.

His style of play will definitely benefit under a structured system like Carlyle's. I'd hate to see him traded.

MoreMogilny 03-21-2012 05:11 PM

I'd like to see what a number of players can do next season with a blank slate, especially Schenn.

The Podium 03-21-2012 05:17 PM

Last 2 season? Even last season when he was leading the team in TOI and everything? no its been only this season, and even then he hasn't been as bad as advertised around here.

mooseOAK* 03-21-2012 05:21 PM

Schenn hasn't been getting better and keeps regressing to bad mistakes especially with the puck and based on body language doesn't seem to care any more which isn't the kind of character we were led to expect.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.

BertCorbeau 03-21-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 46478345)
I'd like to see what a number of players can do next season with a blank slate, especially Schenn.

I agree. It will be refreshing to see how this team performs next year now that expectations have completely dropped following this season's 2-month collapse. IMO this is just a young team that's emotionally exhausted from battling all season and can't get themselves out of a hole. There are definitely a lot of positives going forward.

On a side note, I like that Schenn has been dropping the gloves more. Carlyle is giving him free reign on being physical and nasty, and I love it. It's a part of his game that will only add to his beastliness as get develops.

Hurt 03-21-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 46478047)

Oh well, we picked twice in the top 5 in 2012? :laugh:

Dayjobdave 03-21-2012 05:28 PM

I've had enough of waiting for Schenn to reach his potential. Trade him for youth.

:sarcasm:

Mowerman 03-21-2012 05:31 PM

If you are already given up on Schenn and think you could analyze the team while keeping the proper broad scale required during a full on rebuild through tanking, you're insane. Schenn is a great prospect who has already thrived and dominated at times in a system that didn't accentuate his style of play one bit, and actually negated the effectiveness of Schenn's game. He's going to be a dominant defensive player for a long time in this league, there are very few deals in which I would happily include Schenn in. He's an absolute beauty and I'm thrilled that he is going to be part of the Leafs for a long time, especially under Carlyle.

Schenn is a recent top 5 pick who has already shown great attributes and is continuing to develop into the stud that he will be on the blueline for years. If this is how you feel about Schenn, this board would either be empty due to mass suicide or trying to trade the team of kids for a team of AAA players if we tanked like you seem to desire so strongly. Absolutely daft.

Mansfield 03-21-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf (Post 46478155)
last season he was our best dman

This. People have such awful cases of short term memory...

The guy hasn't even been that bad this year. Yeah, he's made some bad gaffes, but for the most part he's been solid, and is on pace to put up career offensive numbers despite playing less minutes and less games than other years.

TheNorthFace 03-21-2012 05:34 PM

I can't wait to see him next season after hopefully going threw a good off season training plan for him. He really just needs to put this season behind him. I suspect we'll see a highly motivated Schenn come in next season and shut a lot of people up.

Dayjobdave 03-21-2012 05:46 PM

The fact that Carlyle thinks the most important thing for the team right now is communication tells us that he believes Wilson had them so jumpy by not communicating that they didn't know what to do.

That will be fixed.

I think Schenn will be more than fine.

weems 03-21-2012 05:48 PM

Is Carlyle going to teach him how to skate?

Oh I forgot Randys more defensively system will cover up that massive issue.

ForSpareParts* 03-21-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony135420 (Post 46476835)
Been noticing alot of trade proposals involving Schenn, and rightfully so I guess. He's been performing sub par, to put it nicely, for the last 2 seasons and I believe that's because of the system he's been forced to play in. High octane, offense first style didn't suit him one bit. It set his development back a couple years at best. Give this kid a year under Carlyle's system, and we'll see the true potential of Schenn.

I hope we give him, at least, a season to get back on track before he's shipped out.

i don't even think he'll get a year. Carlyle is a former Norris Trophy winner. he'll know whether he can use Schenn or whether he feels that he is better suited on another team.

Tak7 03-21-2012 06:13 PM

I'm uncertain when it comes to Schenn.

I know he will come good, but I'm just not convinced that it will be here. He almost looks like he's in dire need of a change of scenery and the push of a reset button.

He will be a rock in the NHL at some point in his career, but I'm not prepared to say that it's going to be in Toronto - the pressure of the market and the scrutiny that it's players are under, some players just don't fit here.

I'm not sure anyone can say that Luke will fit here. Or for that token, I'm not sure anyone can say that Luke will NOT fit here - there's too much uncertainty with the player right now

landeskog11 03-21-2012 06:16 PM

Funny scenario Burke trades for colb 1st, and Leafs lose the lottery and it falls to a 3rd or 4th overall pick.