HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is it possible for the flyers to purposely lose? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1141461)

ghiigh33 03-21-2012 07:51 PM

Is it possible for the flyers to purposely lose?

I would think that a better, easier matchup for the flyers in the postseason would be the panthers. Would the flyers purposely lose a game or two to let NJ get ahead and then have them go at the pens while the flyers could have a great chance at beating the panthers? This would make more sense to me....who would want to play the pens first round right now??

DevilChuk* 03-21-2012 07:51 PM

6th place is ours... gtfo

Top Cheese Danish 03-21-2012 07:52 PM

It's already a Twitter phenomenon, and it's called #SuckForSixth.

MountainHawk 03-21-2012 07:53 PM

No, the Flyers are not going to lose on purpose.

Also, Flyers over Pens in 5, 6 max if we have to start on the road.

FlyersFan61290 03-21-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiigh33 (Post 46489131)
I would think that a better, easier matchup for the flyers in the postseason would be the panthers. Would the flyers purposely lose a game or two to let NJ get ahead and then have them go at the pens while the flyers could have a great chance at beating the panthers? This would make more sense to me....who would want to play the pens first round right now??

no team with any self respect would lose on purpose

BernieParent 03-21-2012 07:57 PM

Considering there's only a 2-point difference between Florida and Boston, is 6th really a comfortable position in which to start the playoffs?

And to answer the OP, no.

hockeyfreak7 03-21-2012 08:00 PM

We could just as easily end up playing the Bruins or Caps.

Hell, we could easily end up losing to Florida...we did last night.

No match up is "safe". I dont mind playing the Penguins.

All I care about is securing the highest seed possible. When's the last time a division winner didnt win the Cup? I'm not sure if I remember it ever happening since I've been watching. EDIT: Nvm, it was Pittsburgh in 09.

GKJ 03-21-2012 08:07 PM

Why would they do that when they can get 4th and get the extra potential home games?

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-21-2012 08:16 PM

The NHL's Security division would investigate any situation in which it senses a team purposely loses and in all likelihood issue a heavy fine to the organization, suspensions of team officials especially coaches, and probably have the team(s) forfeit draft picks among other penalties.

Ryker 03-21-2012 08:16 PM

OP, don't be a pansy.

King Forsberg 03-21-2012 08:26 PM

This thread is made at an odd time considering we just beat the Pens but lost to the Panthers.

SgtJoseph 03-21-2012 08:37 PM

I think this is a bit far fetched.........I saw a hell of an onslaught last night in the 3rd.Did the Flyers "payoff" the Florida goalie too to help them get to 6th ? If any team would of tried some nonsense like this it would of been the Phillies last year against the Braves ?But they didn't.Bryz gets hot to try and get 6th ? FERGETABOUTIT.

Mike2000z28 03-21-2012 08:39 PM

The East is tough. Any matchup is a potential loss. I don't feel comfortable frankly playing any eastern team 7 games. This team is just inconsistent for me right now. Its great they were on a streak and playing well,but considering the injuries and how many rookies we have. Its not looking good for the post season as i think the Pens/Rangers are a better team than us. We are just to young right now.

TyrannoMeszarosRex 03-21-2012 08:56 PM

I say bring on whoever we get. We'll aim for the top, and destroy everything in our path.

http://s18.postimage.org/wywo2eshz/braveheart.jpg

dingbathero 03-21-2012 09:30 PM

You don't see teams doing that for a top draft choice either.

:sarcasm:

BernieParent 03-21-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 46491401)
The NHL's Security division would investigate any situation in which it senses a team purposely loses and in all likelihood issue a heavy fine to the organization, suspensions of team officials especially coaches, and probably have the team(s) forfeit draft picks among other penalties.

"Your Honour, I'd like to present Exhibit A against the Flyers organization:"

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo...0063634687.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-21-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 46498811)
"Your Honour, I'd like to present Exhibit A against the Flyers organization:"

The last game of the 1989 season, when Paul Holmgren was the coach, he removed Ron Hextall during the OT session in a game against Pittsburgh because he wanted to get the third seed (to play Pittsburgh and not first-seeded Washington) in the opening round of the playoffs. Lemieux scored into an empty net in the OT and that Flyers' loss kept them in fourth place -- when 1 played 4 and 2 played 3 in the Division matchups. As it turned out, the Flyers beat both Washington and Pittsburgh in the playoffs that season. That maneuver could be justified because he was trying to win even in an unorthodox manner, as opposed to losing as set in the earlier example.

BernieParent 03-21-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 46500597)
The last game of the 1989 season, when Paul Holmgren was the coach, he removed Ron Hextall during the OT session in a game against Pittsburgh because he wanted to get the third seed (to play Pittsburgh and not first-seeded Washington) in the opening round of the playoffs. Lemieux scored into an empty net in the OT and that Flyers' loss kept them in fourth place -- when 1 played 4 and 2 played 3 in the Division matchups. As it turned out, the Flyers beat both Washington and Pittsburgh in the playoffs that season. That maneuver could be justified because he was trying to win even in an unorthodox manner, as opposed to losing as set in the earlier example.

Great example, MSE, showing any move would have to be pretty egregious or internally documented.

kicksave27 03-21-2012 11:11 PM

They didn't penalize the pens for intentionally sucking for years

ShawnTHW 03-22-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 46505741)
They didn't penalize the pens for intentionally sucking for years

Haven't heard a word about the Oilers either...

WolfHound 03-22-2012 12:24 AM

I hope so, playing the Pens in the first round is going to be a swift exit in the playoffs. I mean come one who would want to play the Penguins now that Crosby is back. I guarantee he Pens will win the East this year. Mark my words.

BillDineen 03-22-2012 07:44 AM

To win the cup, Flyers likely need to beat Pissburgh. It is better with home ice (potentially) or in the first round. If they lose earlier, it means a better draft pick. If they win, we can put a rest to hearing non-stop how fabulous the Pens are.

Kaktus* 03-22-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 46490471)
Why would they do that when they can get 4th and get the extra potential home games?

Remember when Pens purposely dropped final game of the regular season to play Senators in 1st round? They had 4:0 record in 1st round.

Or when Swedes (during Olympics) dropped 5:0 against Russians only to come back and kill them in semifinals and to win gold against Fins?

I do not look at it as tanking.

Strategy.

RyK15* 03-22-2012 09:41 AM

Lose on purpose???? To hell with that. This is Philadelphia, not Pittsburgh.

Larry44 03-22-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfHound (Post 46508895)
I hope so, playing the Pens in the first round is going to be a swift exit in the playoffs. I mean come one who would want to play the Penguins now that Crosby is back. I guarantee he Pens will win the East this year. Mark my words.

We're in no man's land right now.

With the loss vs. the Panthers, I don't think we'll be able to catch the Pens. And realistically a split of the two games in Pitt is about the best we can hope for.

If the Pens stay hot they may catch the Rangers, so it's either the Pens or Rangers on the road, neither is going to be an easy series to win.

I don't see NJ catching us, so we'll have to win a toughie to make it to round 2.

The sad thing about beign a potential first round victim is that the Flyers are tied with Nashville and Chicago for 6th overall in the whole league with 92 points. And our whole division, except the Isles, is in the top 9.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=league