HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Speculation: To Gui, or not to Gui? UPD: Unlikely to re-sign (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1141705)

llamapalooza 03-21-2012 09:59 PM

To Gui, or not to Gui? UPD: Unlikely to re-sign

See the poll above.

Personally, I honestly can't believe how many people don't want to qualify Latendresse. He's a 25 goal scoring power forward who is among the most consistent and offensively-gifted forwards on a team with none of either. When healthy, he's an absolute bargain to any team at his current contract, let alone one where cap space is basically irrelevant for the next season. And he's an RFA.

And as for the "when healthy" condition, I don't really think being illegally boarded and suffering a concussion demonstrates anything about his durability or ability to contribute regularly in the future. That could literally happen to any player.

And seriously, I know I included it as a poll option, but there's no reason to negotiate and try to re-sign him without giving him a QO. No reason to give up his RFA status to save, what, $750k? On a team that could struggle to make the cap floor if they don't win the Parise/Suter lottery? Horrible idea.

Fel 96 03-21-2012 10:01 PM

I'm gonna repeat what I said in the other thread.

From the way I see Gui speaking, I think GMCF will qualify him and it will be up to him if he accepts the offer or not.

TaLoN 03-21-2012 10:16 PM

I would let him walk. The concussion was not his only injury this year, it was just the last one. How quickly everyone forgot the month he missed from Nov 10th to Dec 13th because of a groin injury.

Jagged Ice 03-21-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 46502311)
I would let him walk. The concussion was not his only injury this year, it was just the last one. How quickly everyone forgot the month he missed from Nov 10th to Dec 13th because of a groin injury.

This^

rynryn 03-21-2012 10:39 PM

I'd like to, but depending on contract length. Same with Stoner...i just don't trust they'll stay healthy, their fault or not. both need to play a physical game to be completely effective so they're going to be exposed to more injuries than someone who normally eschews heavy body contact in favor of finesse. Injuries no matter how you acquire them take a toll. For me the biggest issue isn't money but the roster spot he takes up so the length of contract would be important. If he goes down again for all of next year we have better options than this year (assuming we have a few of our good prospects starting in Houston) but then we're carrying a guy for X years we can't really count on being or not being in the lineup...so instead of planning for a proper top six forward we're counting on prospects developing more quickly than we probably have any right to expect. Its insured and doesn't count against the cap for LTI (right?) but you still have to leave room for it at the beginning of every season or get punished if you're over and he gets healthy. blahrgh.

OpRedDawn* 03-21-2012 11:28 PM

Yes, they should qualify him as an RFA (~$2.5M)

Can't let this dude walk away.

Minnesota 03-21-2012 11:29 PM

Give him a 1-year deal to prove himself. If he doesn't take that offer, let him walk.

I like Latendresse, but he's been one of the biggest disappointments (due to his untapped potential) for me, personally.

OpRedDawn* 03-21-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 46506823)
Give him a 1-year deal to prove himself. If he doesn't take that offer, let him walk.

I like Latendresse, but he's been one of the biggest disappointments (due to his untapped potential) for me, personally.

Again, you can't really hold the concussion against him. After coming to camp out of shape, he hurt his groin. He rehabbed, and came to camp in beast mode. He was awesome this year. Unlucky hit to the head + trying to come back too soon (Koivu anyone?)

It's not like we have power forwards (or any forwards) who can score like him.

Al Lagoon 03-22-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 46506823)

As I mentioned in another thread, last year's injuries were his fault for being a lazy out of shape slob after a career year. He was looking great this year until he wAs cheap shotted. His years with the Habs were pretty much injury free.

His combo of size and skill are rare, and if he looks to have recovered, i'd sign him in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be THAT much more than we're paying Mark Parrish after all.

forthewild 03-22-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 46502311)

actually that was a concussion, he never had a groin injury this year, he came back far too early from a concussion and got one again after delivering a huge hit.

this year aside from being boarded twice in a span of a week he has not had a fat injury at all, actually being fat might have saved him if he had a thicker neck but thats speculation.

Lats was awesome until he con concussed, worst case scenario he is out and done, best case scenario he comes back motivated like all **** and pots 40g.

Its not like we don't have the room or the roster spot.

Avder 03-22-2012 12:34 AM

Qualify him. He likes it here. We love him here. You have to imagine that after this year, when he finally comes back sometime next year, he will come back with a fiery vengeance and be a beast out there.

And you know damned well if we let him walk, some other team will take a chance on him, just on that potential alone.

vitogor 03-22-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpRedDawn (Post 46507869)
Again, you can't really hold the concussion against him. After coming to camp out of shape, he hurt his groin. He rehabbed, and came to camp in beast mode. He was awesome this year. Unlucky hit to the head + trying to come back too soon (Koivu anyone?)

It's not like we have power forwards (or any forwards) who can score like him.

I agree with you that you can't hold the concussion against a player. But on the other hand, as an organization, how long can you continue to have faith in guys like Gui and PMB? At what point do you say, "We have to look elsewhere, because having 2 of our top-6 forwards out for 2+ seasons kills our chances, and we can't keep doing that".

forthewild 03-22-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitogor (Post 46509231)
I agree with you that you can't hold the concussion against a player. But on the other hand, as an organization, how long can you continue to have faith in guys like Gui and PMB? At what point do you say, "We have to look elsewhere, because having 2 of our top-6 forwards out for 2+ seasons kills our chances, and we can't keep doing that".

when granlund, coyle, and other show you that you don't need them anymore, people aren't saying we need to only qualify lats and be done, they are saying in no way will it impede the team to do so and taking a chance is a low risk MASSIVE reward.

If he spends the year on LTIR he won't be taking a roster spot, on the other hand if he storms back and pots 40 to 50g which he is capable of then you **** your self and giggle all the way to accepting GM of the year award.

Victorious Secret 03-22-2012 12:48 AM

What are the downsides to signing him at a lower price than qualifying him? Couldn't they always negotiate lower and if that doesn't work qualify him? I don't understand the need to sign at a higher price, but this nuances of re-signing periods escape me.

vitogor 03-22-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 46509429)
What are the downsides to signing him at a lower price than qualifying him? Couldn't they always negotiate lower and if that doesn't work qualify him? I don't understand the need to sign at a higher price, but this nuances of re-signing periods escape me.

If they don't qualify him, he will become unrestricted and will be free to negotiate a contract with any of the 30 teams on July 1st. If that happens, there is obviously a chance that no one will be willing to take a risk on him, and the Wild can sign him on the cheap. But there's an even bigger chance that he signs somewhere else.

llamapalooza 03-22-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 46509429)

And they really gain nothing. They'd save at most about $1M, for a year. Fletcher's already looking at $20-25M in cap space; they really don't have anyone to spend that tiny bit of cap space on anyway, unless you're delusional enough to think they miraculously get both Parise and Suter.

Billy Mays Here 03-22-2012 01:59 AM

1. Wild will have plenty of cap space so $2.5 million is a drop in the bucket
2. Lats likes it here and we like him
3. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Lats IS OUR BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER (when healthy)
4. I can't live without any "Big Bear Sightings" :sarcasm:

If the Wild don't re-sign Lats not only am I going to be very angry, but I guarantee you the Wild and GMCF will be regretting it when he puts up 30+ goals with another team.

forthewild 03-22-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamapalooza (Post 46510383)
And they really gain nothing. They'd save at most about $1M, for a year. Fletcher's already looking at $20-25M in cap space; they really don't have anyone to spend that tiny bit of cap space on anyway, unless you're delusional enough to think they miraculously get both Parise and Suter.

we could sign both of them ans still qualify lats, so there really isn't anything holding us back.

Spawnisen 03-22-2012 07:05 AM

Do a QO, its not really that much money anyway.

Puhis 03-22-2012 07:38 AM

If he can stay healthy, he's an absolute bargain and a top six power forward with a rare skill set and he is a great fit to any line. I would love to see him tear it up with Heater and Koivu.

If he can't stay healthy, well, I guess we haven't only lost a bit of cap space but also a great player. I don't give a **** about the $2,5mill in comparison to the lost potential in Guillaume Latendresse. Besides, he loves it here, and we love him.

squidz* 03-22-2012 08:15 AM

Two points related to the poll:

As llama pointed out in the OP, cap space has no value to this team. We have the room to QO Lats, sign Suter, sign Parise, and still spend a little more on some depth. You can't carry over cap space, so "saving a little money" has merit only insofar as it affects Leipold's pocket.

"Negotiating him down as a UFA" isn't going to happen. We could attempt to sign him to a 1 year extention before the date QOs have to be in, but if he hits free agency, he's gone. He's a rare commodity when healthy, potentially available for a 1 year deal, and it's a very thin free agent market. Someone will be willing to pay at least his QO.

Also, as ftw said, he hasn't had a groin injury this year. He was concussed in the Calgary game (but played in the next one [LA?] injured). If you recall the concern when he returned in December to comments about "the pain in my head doesn't really go away, at some point I just have to learn to play through it" (paraphrasing of course) that sure doesn't sound like a groin injury to me.

Dr Jan Itor 03-22-2012 08:27 AM

I'll be very disappointed if he isn't brought back.

roon 03-22-2012 08:34 AM

GMCF always has the option to trade his rights.

Jarick 03-22-2012 09:30 AM

On a team that can't score and has zero skill players, you can't just throw away a big body who has been consistently one of the best PPG players in a Wild jersey. You take that chance and qualify him.

roon 03-22-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 46516719)
On a team that can't score and has zero skill players, you can't just throw away a big body who has been consistently one of the best PPG players in a Wild jersey. You take that chance and qualify him.

Or you can trade Latin Dress and if he is as hot a commodity as people seem to think on this board he should fetch a decent price.