HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Fights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   How to get Fighting Out - Problem Solved. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1141857)

WordsOfWisdumb 03-21-2012 11:21 PM

How to get Fighting Out - Problem Solved.

Game misconduct for fighting.

If the fight occurs in the third period or overtime, it will be accompanied by a one game suspension. (That way you stamp out all the end of game brawling that would otherwise occur.)

If the NHL put this in place by itself it could claim to be taking a harsh stance on fighting without really taking a hard-line stance at all. (The NHL typically plays lip-service to various things and pretends to care by taking actions and setting rules that don't actually accomplish their original objective.)

You could rub it out for good by increasing the duration of the suspensions, but even a game misconduct for fighting would be a great improvement to the reputation of the game and would allow the NHL to take the moral high ground on fighting and preach about safety while at the same time still seeing fights occur on occasion. :)

DevilChuk* 03-21-2012 11:22 PM

problem?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 03-21-2012 11:23 PM

Since when was fighting a problem?

UnrefinedCrude 03-21-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WordsOfWisdumb (Post 46506369)
Game misconduct for fighting.

If the fight occurs in the third period or overtime, it will be accompanied by a one game suspension. (That way you stamp out all the end of game brawling that would otherwise occur.)

If the NHL put this in place by itself it could claim to be taking a harsh stance on fighting without really taking a hard-line stance at all. (The NHL typically plays lip-service to various things and pretends to care by taking actions and setting rules that don't actually accomplish their original objective.)

You could rub it out for good by increasing the duration of the suspensions, but even a game misconduct for fighting would be a great improvement to the reputation of the game and would allow the NHL to take the moral high ground on fighting and preach about safety while at the same time still seeing fights occur on occasion. :)

The NHL doesn't want to get rid of fighting.

WarriorOfGandhi 03-21-2012 11:24 PM

the 'problem' isn't that players fight. The problem is that unskilled players who would not otherwise be in the NHL if not for their fighting skills fight. This solution doesn't solve that problem.

XX 03-21-2012 11:25 PM

What's with the new wave of people trying to snuff out fighting? I'm not old enough to know, but was it like this in the 90s?

northeastern 03-21-2012 11:26 PM

wait wat wait we want fighting out? I like fighting... a lot of fans like fighting. Fights should only lead to a game in very rare occasions.

New Sabres Captain 03-21-2012 11:26 PM

I don't want to get rid of fighting.

I want to get rid of the staged fights. Nothing worse than faceoff, then two guys kinda make a deal to fight without any real reason other than "hey, do you wanna go?"

Keep the fights that are the result of emotions running high and arise from the natural course of the game.

Unfortunately, I can't really think of a good way to police that without potentially eliminating good fights or just being completely arbitrary.

Mayor Bee 03-21-2012 11:27 PM

I don't even support this idea, and I've had some mildly harsh things to say about the issue already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 46506565)
What's with the new wave of people trying to snuff out fighting? I'm not old enough to know, but was it like this in the 90s?

Yes. There's always been about a 50:50 split between wanting it kept and wanting it gone, but most who want it gone simply keep quiet and let the other side dominate the conversation. It skews the actual percentages pretty badly, but whatever.

Timbo Slice 03-21-2012 11:28 PM

True fans like fighting. The NHL CANNOT eliminate fights.

WarriorOfGandhi 03-21-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 46506753)
True fans like fighting.

True fans like hockey. And no, fighting is not inherently part of hockey any more than TV timeouts are

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 03-21-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords (Post 46506617)

I want to get rid of the staged fights. Nothing worse than faceoff, then two guys kinda make a deal to fight without any real reason other than "hey, do you wanna go?"

Keep the fights that are the result of emotions running high and arise from the natural course of the game.

Unfortunately, I can't really think of a good way to police that without potentially eliminating good fights or just being completely arbitrary.

Maybe an extra 10 minute misconduct if nothing deemed worthy of a fight (big hit on a star or dirty play) happened prior to the faceoff fight. The officials could get together and discuss it

Forgot that part

alcoraces 03-21-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 46506753)
True fans like fighting. The NHL CANNOT eliminate fights.

I wouldn't go that far. Fans that understand this great game understand why it simply MUST be a part of this game.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 03-21-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi (Post 46506867)
True fans like hockey. And no, fighting is not inherently part of hockey any more than TV timeouts are

Fighting has been in the game before film cameras were invented.

BruinsBtn 03-21-2012 11:32 PM

Watch soccer - problem solved

stakesishigh 03-21-2012 11:33 PM

I don't understand why any fan of hockey would want to get rid of fighting.

New Sabres Captain 03-21-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers (Post 46506873)
Maybe an extra 10 minute misconduct if nothing deemed worthy of a fight (big hit on a star or dirty play) happened. The officials could get together and discuss it

The officials already blow tons of calls...do you really want to put something like this in their hands?

Boston BROin 03-21-2012 11:34 PM

Stop trying to change the game! Do fights, for the 2 minutes they take, really take away your enjoyment of the game?

For me, fighting, and the threat of fighting adds to the game. What could they possibly take away for you?

Bone for your jar 03-21-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

I know! Lie detectors!

This could give the penalty box official an increased, more exalted role. When the player-fighter sits down to serve his major, official whips out the lie detector and asks, "YOU MAD?". Player answers, "Yeah!". Official takes a reading. Hmm borderline. Needs a confirmatory. "LIKE, REALLY MAD?". Player again answers, "Yeah!". Machine detects lie. Consequence: two game suspension.

End of staged fights!!

2Cowen 03-21-2012 11:37 PM

Whats wrong with staged fights?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 03-21-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone for your jar (Post 46507135)
I know! Lie detectors!

This could give the penalty box official an increased, more exalted role. When the player-fighter sits down to serve his major, official whips out the lie detector and asks, "YOU MAD?". Player answers, "Yeah!". Official takes a reading. Hmm borderline. Needs a confirmatory. "LIKE, REALLY MAD?". Player again answers, "Yeah!". Machine detects lie. Consequence: two game suspension.

End of staged fights!!

Or we could spin a wheel of justice after every fight

Bone for your jar 03-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsButton (Post 46506997)
Watch soccer - problem solved

Just don't look around you in the stands.

BruinsBtn 03-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 46507211)

Im with this guy. The fans cheer like hell every time.

HockeyHooligans 03-21-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Yea it's such an epidemic and really hurts the rest of the game when the 4th line goes out there and ooooohhhh noooo they fight. Man, you might as well just head for the exits, theres no point in watching the rest of the game.

FIGHTS happen maybe every other game ON AVERAGE. Why is there even a discussion about it?

WarriorOfGandhi 03-21-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 46507211)

they result in players like Derek Boogaard getting contracts that should go to athletes who actually have the ability to play NHL hockey. The quality of the game drops. Keeping staged fights in the league is no different than adding another franchise, it waters down the product with inferior talent