HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Retaping your Hockey Stick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1142159)

SMR 03-22-2012 11:04 AM

Retaping your Hockey Stick
 
How often do you all retape your hockey sticks? What is a good sign that it's time to retape?

hockeymass 03-22-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR (Post 46520291)
How often do you all retape your hockey sticks? What is a good sign that it's time to retape?

Nowadays I usually retape after every skate because I don't skate that often. When I was playing and practicing several times a week, I would generally wait until they were noticably torn or cut up.

do0glas 03-22-2012 12:18 PM

since ive been playing outdoors on smooth concrete i generally have to re-tape the bottom every time i skate.

n62 03-22-2012 01:04 PM

I play beer league and I retape every 2-3 games, unless it gets torn up, then it would be sooner.

hyster110 03-22-2012 01:32 PM

usually after every ice time as the tape takes alot of wear

SMR 03-22-2012 01:34 PM

Thanks for the input. The bottom of the blade is starting to show. Looks like I'll be changing the tape!

mbeam 03-22-2012 01:43 PM

Usually it gets torn up after one game and I retape it. Sometimes I can get 2 or 3 ice times out of it without retaping, but just reapplying wax, but that's rare. If it looks like it's got some knicks, just retape it. I would retape twice a game if I could, for some reason it's just a fun thing to do ;)

Stickmata 03-22-2012 01:46 PM

Every 3-4 skates/games, but I'd do it more often if I wasn't so lazy. Love me a freshly taped blade.

Wilch 03-22-2012 01:46 PM

I was wondering... When you guys re-tape your blades, how do you remove the worn out tape? I would personally re-tape more frequently if there was a method easier than spending 3-4 minutes rubbing off all the adhesive with my thumb.

hockeymass 03-22-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 46527579)
I was wondering... When you guys re-tape your blades, how do you remove the worn out tape? I would personally re-tape more frequently if there was a method easier than spending 3-4 minutes rubbing off all the adhesive with my thumb.

Well, when I remove my tape there usually isn't much adhesive stuck to the blade. What little there is I just rub off with the tape ball. I think the more often you retape, the less the adhesive is going to stick to the blade.

Jarick 03-22-2012 02:03 PM

The last month or so, I hit my tape with a heat gun after taping to keep it from peeling up. Worked great and didn't have to re-tape as often, but when I did the adhesive got all over the blade and it took 10 minutes to rub it all off. Guess I'd rather re-tape every ice time rather than screw around with all that, so no more heat gun, just press it in.

bp spec 03-22-2012 02:12 PM

After every ice time.

Dustin Peener 03-22-2012 02:31 PM

I retape my goalie stick whenever the tape gets worn through at the heel, otherwise the composite/wood will start to peel

Wildturkey12 03-22-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymass (Post 46528127)
I think the more often you retape, the less the adhesive is going to stick to the blade.

This is what I have found too. I retape after every game and never have adhesive on my blade. On the other hand, I have retaped peoples blades for them that rarely retape and it is always a mess.

shawn1331 03-22-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 46530863)
This is what I have found too. I retape after every game and never have adhesive on my blade. On the other hand, I have retaped peoples blades for them that rarely retape and it is always a mess.

I retape every game or practice unless for some reason I don't play hardly, like I got hurt or something. And I just tape over the glue anyways. I don't care about it and it doesn't seem to make air bubbles, so whats the deal with it? Why not just tape over it, we're not in the show?

Never affected me and I still score goals at a high level.

neksys 03-22-2012 03:05 PM

I tape mine all the time.

I like the process of taping my stick, and I love the look of a freshly taped blade. I'm also a perfectionist so I'll also re-do a tape job if it doesn't look right (overlaps too close, wrinkles, etc.).

That said, I've seen people using what appears to be a 3 month old tape job on a falling-apart wooden stick, and they still score a ton of goals.

Unless you're at the absolute top of your game, the equipment (and the equipment you put on your equipment) is such a tiny part of your overall performance level that the right answer is probably "replace the tape as often (or as rarely) as you like."

Bryan23 03-22-2012 03:26 PM

I tape mine after every game. I can get maybe two stick and puck sessions before I have to retape.

Wilch 03-22-2012 03:35 PM

I only re-tape when the bottom part wears off, which is quite a lot of games actually. The reason being I want to prevent chips to the blade.

Either way, I think I'll stick to what I do (taping every 8-10 games) for now. It has served me well. I might try out wax though. It might not have the same adverse effects as a heat gun as Jarick mentioned.

Fanned On It 03-22-2012 03:43 PM

Idk if it's the tape I'm using or what but recently like in the past month, my tape has been peeling off/getting torn up after like 2 skates. So I've been re-taping my stick pretty frequently lately. Like the other poster said, I'm also a perfectionist and have to have the tape-job pretty much perfect or I'll re-do it until it's right. LoL. OCD I guess...

Do you guys tape the toe of your stick as well? I just started doing this, probably doesn't affect performance, but I like to think it protects the toe if you're doing toe-drags a lot. I don't like the idea of the bare toe contacting the ice that often.

dwreckm 03-22-2012 04:04 PM

Hardly ever. Check out this video for how I do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

The one thing I do differently, is run a piece along the bottom of my blade. I do this for a couple reasons like making sure my stick lie is okay, and to help me get some grip into the ice to flex my stick. I change that piece along the bottom pretty much every game.

Fanned On It 03-22-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwreckm (Post 46534055)
Hardly ever. Check out this video for how I do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

The one thing I do differently, is run a piece along the bottom of my blade. I do this for a couple reasons like making sure my stick lie is okay, and to help me get some grip into the ice to flex my stick. I change that piece along the bottom pretty much every game.

Does putting that extra strip on the bottom really add extra grip to the ice? With a normal tape job you already have tape on the bottom, so does adding this strip really make a difference? Reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble getting some flex on my shots and I think it's because my stick slips out too easily.

Jarick 03-22-2012 04:21 PM

I really don't think it makes a lot of difference, but to each their own.

I typically tape over the toe, didn't last night, and ended up missing the net on five great scoring chances. Five. Doubt it's related but that damn toe is getting taped over next time.

hockeymass 03-22-2012 04:31 PM

I tape the toe. More because I think it looks cleaner than anything.

Really, the reason I retape my sticks so often is because I f***ing love hockey and just retaping my sticks makes me happy.

Jarick 03-22-2012 04:38 PM

Same. I think I taped all my sticks twice since the game before.

dwreckm 03-22-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santini5389 (Post 46534135)
Does putting that extra strip on the bottom really add extra grip to the ice? With a normal tape job you already have tape on the bottom, so does adding this strip really make a difference? Reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble getting some flex on my shots and I think it's because my stick slips out too easily.

Like Jarick said, probably not, it's just a mental thing I think, but if baseball players can be superstitious, so can I.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.