HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   GDT: 3/23/12 "Corey Potter And The Cup Of Stanley" - Oilers VS Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1142339)

Panthers Rock 03-22-2012 02:40 PM

3/23/12 "Corey Potter And The Cup Of Stanley" - Oilers VS Panthers

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...we_see_red.jpg
Your Florida Panthers take on the Edmonton Oilers! Game time at 7:30 EST live from Bank Atlantic Center!

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/panthers/v2/ex...nticCenter.jpg

Potter Rock

TV: Live on FSFlorida and Center Ice/Gamecenter.
Internet/Radio: Listen Live on NHL Gamecenter

:edmonton

VS

:panthers

Standings
Florida:
Wins Losses OTL/SOL Total Points
3624 13 85

Edmonton:
Wins Losses OTL/SOL Total Points

Injuries
Edmonton:
Player Date Of Incident Status Injury
Taylor Fedun 2011-10-03 on injured reserve and is expected to miss the entire season broken right femur
Taylor Hall 2012-03-17 out indefinitely concussion
Lennart Petrell 2012-03-22 missed Thursday's game against Tampa Bay strained groin

Florida:
Player Date Of Incident Status Injury
Matt Bradley 2012-02-20 on injured reserve and is out indefinitely upper body
Jack Skille 2012-03-10 expected to miss the remainder of the season shoulder

Line Combinations (Subject To Change)
Edmonton:
LW C RW
Ryan JonesRyan Nugent-HopkinsJordan Eberle
Teemu HartikainenSam GagnerAles Hemsky
Ryan SmythShawn HorcoffLinus Omark
Darcy HordichukEric BelangerBen Eager

LDRD
Ladislav SmidJeff Petry
Ryan WhitneyNick Schultz
Andy SuttonCorey Potter

Florida:
LW C RW
Tomas FleischmannStephen WeissKris Versteeg
Sean BergenheimMarcel GocMikael Samuelsson
Tomas KopeckyShawn MatthiasWojtek Wolski
Krys BarchJohn MaddenScottie Upshall

LDRD
Jason GarrisonBrian Campbell
Dmitry KulikovMike Weaver
Ed JovanovskiErik Gudbranson

Expected Starting Goaltenders (Subject To Change)
Edmonton: http://pics.forecaster.ca/nhl-player/4383.gif
Devan Dubnyk
GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
40171722.75 .9132

VS.

Florida: http://pics.forecaster.ca/nhl-player/0198.gif
Jose Theodore
GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
4722147 2.40 .9203

Team Leaders
Edmonton:
W Devan Dubnyk 17
L Nikolai Khabibulin 19
GAA Nikolai Khabibulin 2.62
G Jordan Eberle 32
A Jordan Eberle 38
+/- Sam Gagner8
PIM Ben Eager 94

Florida:
W Jose Theodore 22
L Jose Theodore 14
GAA Jose Theodore2.40
G Tomas Fleischmann23
A Brian Campbell 45
+/- Jason Garrison 8
PIM Krys Barch 89

Special Teams
Edmonton:
PP%PP RankPK%PK Rank
21.3%2nd81.5%19th

Florida:
PP%PP RankPK%PK Rank
19.0%8th79.8%23rd

News And Notes
Quote:

“WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS AT HOME DOWN THE STRETCH. HOPEFULLY WE START A NEW RUN.”
- C Stephen Weiss after Florida's five-game winning streak ended at Carolina on Wednesday.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/fla
George Richards' Blog of the Miami Herald:Your Source For Reliable, Early Panthers Info!

Primary Target
http://cdn.nhl.com/oilers/images/upl...reflection.jpg
Sam Gagner, son of former Panther Dave Gagner. The kid had an 8 point game earlier this season. That's right, I said 8, which ties a team record with guys like Gretzky. That's ridiculous. Did I mention he's Dave's son? Pretty sure I did.

Red Hot Cat Of The Night
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/3...6748038763.jpg
Tomas Fleischmann who has 4 points in his last 4 games.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!
:yo::wave::fight::hit:

Laus723 03-22-2012 03:21 PM

:laugh: at last game played!

zeroG 03-22-2012 03:22 PM

got cut off while replying to last night's thread so i'm just gonna stick this here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthersflames1 (Post 46521845)
i agree ag like i said after the game in philly, good teams find ways to win games that they dont necessarily deserve to win.

can you really say we're a "good" team? this is a team that would be fighting for its playoff life in any other division.... heck, we were on the bubble just a few of weeks ago when the caps took over first for a bit.

i don't think so. this is an average team that's gotten pretty good production from the guys it needed it from and very good goaltending. they look really bad (enough to get spanked by teams at the bottom of the league) when they don't show up and work hard. that's what happened last night and it's not an isolated incident. not bashing specific people, just pointing out that it is what it is. hopefully as the rebuild progresses, we'll less and less of that.

Laus723 03-22-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 46532325)
got cut off while replying to last night's thread so i'm just gonna stick this here.

can you really say we're a "good" team? this is a team that would be fighting for its playoff life in any other division.... heck, we were on the bubble just a few of weeks ago when the caps took over first for a bit.

i don't think so. this is an average team that's gotten pretty good production from the guys it needed it from and very good goaltending. they look really bad (enough to get spanked by teams at the bottom of the league) when they don't show up and work hard. that's what happened last night and it's not an isolated incident. not bashing specific people, just pointing out that it is what it is. hopefully as the rebuild progresses, we'll less and less of that.

We know all of the above. Good team? Absolutely, that's a dumb question, imo. But, we're good enough to beat anyone when everyone is doing what they're supposed to do. This is a blue collar team, but the last sentence is most important. Hopefully we'll become a top team, with the right mix as Tallon's plan comes together.

PanthersHockey1 03-22-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 46532325)

if you havent read the main board you would find the division argument is completely off base. This team would be in the playoffs regardless of division.

In the past we lost games we deserved to win because of lack of talent. This season we have won several Not many but several games that we deserved lose whether it do to a luck bounce like against philly or because our talent compensated for the gap.

This is a good team. Any team that makes the playoffs is a good team.

AwesomePanthers 03-22-2012 04:57 PM

Big two home-games! Oilers and Islanders are more than beatable!

GO CATS GO!!!

murphdasmurf2 03-22-2012 06:33 PM

Here from the Bruins board.

On vacation in Florida, watched a few games on FSN. You guys are looking good. Rooting for you guys in the playoffs (unless the B's and Cats match up).

Lennart Petrell 2012-03-22 doubtful for Thursday's game against Tampa Bay strained groin.

EDIT: Oops, thought the game was tonight. Was wondering why poker was on :laugh:

Catsfan7 03-22-2012 06:37 PM

Big game, need as many points as we can get down the stretch. On an unrelated note, Tallon was on an NHL Radio show today, and they spent 1/3 of the time talking about golf, like how 8 years ago one of the guys ran into the team on the golf course on a gameday! And to add onto that, Yormark was Caddying for them lol {facepalm}. Another 1/3 was just of making fun of Yormark, and Dale was near hysterically laughing, and the rest, which ended up not being that much was about the team, mainly the coaching staff.
But anyway, we can't overlook the next 5 or so games against "weaker" teams, we need to give 110% every game, every shift, every moment, and lock this **** down.
GO PANTHERS!

harv3317 03-22-2012 06:43 PM

i'm freaking blacked out again. fsn is airing the magic up here. in any case
big 2 points!!!!!!
GGGGGOOOOOOO CCCCCCAAAAATTTTTSSSSS!!!!!:handclap::nod::yo:

Boooooth10 03-22-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsfan7 (Post 46540765)
Big game, need as many points as we can get down the stretch. On an unrelated note, Tallon was on an NHL Radio show today, and they spent 1/3 of the time talking about golf, like how 8 years ago one of the guys ran into the team on the golf course on a gameday! And to add onto that, Yormark was Caddying for them lol {facepalm}. Another 1/3 was just of making fun of Yormark, and Dale was near hysterically laughing, and the rest, which ended up not being that much was about the team, mainly the coaching staff.
But anyway, we can't overlook the next 5 or so games against "weaker" teams, we need to give 110% every game, every shift, every moment, and lock this **** down.
GO PANTHERS!

I liked the part at the end where he was congratulating Tallon for making the playoffs and Tallon responded by saying "nononononononono". :laugh:

Catsfan7 03-22-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boooooth10 (Post 46542393)
I liked the part at the end where he was congratulating Tallon for making the playoffs and Tallon responded by saying "nononononononono". :laugh:

Yeah, that was pretty funny, I like how Tallon says look ahead rather than behind. When it comes to the playoffs, until we AT LEAST have an X next to our name, preferably a Y, I don't feel safe.

zeroG 03-22-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthersflames1 (Post 46534915)
if you havent read the main board you would find the division argument is completely off base. This team would be in the playoffs regardless of division.

In the past we lost games we deserved to win because of lack of talent. This season we have won several Not many but several games that we deserved lose whether it do to a luck bounce like against philly or because our talent compensated for the gap.

This is a good team. Any team that makes the playoffs is a good team.

well, what qualifies as a good team seems to be up for debate. with 16 of 30 teams making the playoffs, i think your definition is lacking. and the division argument isn't off base - with 85 points, we'd be in FIFTH place in the 2 strongest divisions, in 2nd place in the next 2 strongest divisions, tied for first in the 5th of 6 divisions. only in the SE would we be in 1st by any margin. if the caps weren't underachieving based on their talent, we'd be in 2nd in the SE too and fighting with buffalo for 8th. we are what we are - a moderately talented team in transition. we have a bit more talent and experience than in years past but that's it. and that's not why we won in philly (a team FAR more talented that ours, btw).

zeroG 03-22-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 46532641)
We know all of the above. Good team? Absolutely, that's a dumb question, imo. But, we're good enough to beat anyone when everyone is doing what they're supposed to do. This is a blue collar team, but the last sentence is most important. Hopefully we'll become a top team, with the right mix as Tallon's plan comes together.

beat the top echelon teams when they're at their best consistently? i don't think so. hasn't been the case this season at least. it'll be interesting to see how they fare in the playoffs over 7 games against that competition. not trying to nay say, just being realistic.

PanthersHockey1 03-22-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 46553733)
beat the top echelon teams when they're at their best consistently? i don't think so. hasn't been the case this season at least. it'll be interesting to see how they fare in the playoffs over 7 games against that competition. not trying to nay say, just being realistic.

Out of curiosity what were your expectations going into this season? The season could end today and i would call this season an absolute success. Far exceeding my expectations.

You often fail to mention the numerous positive aspects. This team has come such a long way. The positives far far far outweigh the negative aspects imo.

adam graves 03-22-2012 09:56 PM

http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MVI_1983.mp4

Where I'd like to be at 10pm tommorow...

CatscratchFever 03-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthersflames1 (Post 46555207)
Out of curiosity what were your expectations going into this season? The season could end today and i would call this season an absolute success. Far exceeding my expectations.

You often fail to mention the numerous positive aspects. This team has come such a long way. The positives far far far outweigh the negative aspects imo.

That doesn't make this a "good" team. They're average, and play that way many nights. Look at the record. 36 up 37 down. Basically middle of the road. They lose as often as they win. This has nothing to do with points, expectations, how much I like this team or how far they may or may not go in the playoffs. The franchise is headed for good things, as are we. But is this team "good"? Not really. Do I root my heart out for them every time they play? You bet your hind end I do!

adam graves 03-22-2012 10:06 PM

What happened to gdt's being places of positivity??? Our gdt is starting to sound like the main,board.

"Good" "mediocre" "average" ...means crap to me.

Are we a playoff team???

standings say for the first time this late in 12 yrs..."HELL YES" !!!!

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!

PanthersHockey1 03-22-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatscratchFever (Post 46558303)
That doesn't make this a "good" team. They're average, and play that way many nights. Look at the record. 36 up 37 down. Basically middle of the road. They lose as often as they win. This has nothing to do with points, expectations, how much I like this team or how far they may or may not go in the playoffs. The franchise is headed for good things, as are we. But is this team "good"? Not really. Do I root my heart out for them every time they play? You bet your hind end I do!

good is a relative term. Were good compared to over half of the nhl. We are not elite. There is a difference.

I would just like some of you guys to admit that this team has come along way, we have a lot of talent, we play well on most nights, and we have a great future moving forward. For all those reasons and more we are a good team.

Erick 03-23-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatscratchFever (Post 46558303)

Based on your definition, there are only about 10 good hockey teams, if that. For those who don't believe shootout success is part of being a good hockey team since it shouldn't really be a part of the game, there are less teams.

The system is what it is. It might feel like 36-37, but it's 36-24-13. I don't understand why people continue to make a big deal about it. It is what it is. Points % is all that really matters, at the end of the day.

Even if you take away divisions, we're currently still the 6th seed in the East and a playoff team (currently) in the West.

I see nothing wrong in saying that this team has been "good." Far from great/elite, but "good" is fair.

And if they take care of business as they should in these last 9 games, the season will certainly be looked at as "good."

We've had a pretty tough schedule. The light part of our schedule seems to be coming in this finale of the season. No excuses not to take advantage now.

Matt Ryan 03-23-2012 02:37 AM

Good luck!

Nice gdt

LUUUUUIS 03-23-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 46570441)
Based on your definition, there are only about 10 good hockey teams, if that. For those who don't believe shootout success is part of being a good hockey team since it shouldn't really be a part of the game, there are less teams.

The system is what it is. It might feel like 36-37, but it's 36-24-13. I don't understand why people continue to make a big deal about it. It is what it is. Points % is all that really matters, at the end of the day.

Even if you take away divisions, we're currently still the 6th seed in the East and a playoff team (currently) in the West.

I see nothing wrong in saying that this team has been "good." Far from great/elite, but "good" is fair.

And if they take care of business as they should in these last 9 games, the season will certainly be looked at as "good."

We've had a pretty tough schedule. The light part of our schedule seems to be coming in this finale of the season. No excuses not to take advantage now.

I think we have a chance of making it to the playoffs and winning the first round. I'd say that qualifies the Panthers as a "good" team.

Looking forward to having Danger and Wolski back this game. I hope Dineen hides Santorelli back under his rock.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

nhlfan9191 03-23-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 46558951)
What happened to gdt's being places of positivity??? Our gdt is starting to sound like the main,board.

"Good" "mediocre" "average" ...means crap to me.

Are we a playoff team???

standings say for the first time this late in 12 yrs..."HELL YES" !!!!

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!

We aren't an amazing team yet. People say we're full of the best third liners around. And it's true. But what people don't say enough is that we're full of third line players with tones of passion and a defense who can shut down the best of teams on any given night. Not to mention our 35 year old goalie who is playing his beat year by far since the lockout. Heck, even Clemmenson is playing with a tone of heart.

adam graves 03-23-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 (Post 46576799)
We aren't an amazing team yet. People say we're full of the best third liners around. And it's true. But what people don't say enough is that we're full of third line players with tones of passion and a defense who can shut down the best of teams on any given night. Not to mention our 35 year old goalie who is playing his beat year by far since the lockout. Heck, even Clemmenson is playing with a tone of heart.

We don't hold ourselves out to be an "amazing" team.

We have all the elements you mention.

For me I get my entertainment value finally at each and every home game. My investment is finally returned. Players playing hard, a coach with passion, a bright future. All a season ticket holder can ask for.

This self inflicted whining of are we a good team??? We are what our record is. A 99% likely playoff bound team that's lead our division almost the entire season. We,ve won or tied twice as many games in reg than we've lost. That my friend, is a good team.

Panthers Rock 03-23-2012 09:33 AM

GR tweets:
Quote:

Looks like #FlaPanthers scratching Santorelli, Sturm & Smithson v #Oilers

I May Be Wrong 03-23-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers Rock (Post 46578197)
GR tweets:

Guess that means Upshall remains in. Good, I want him to get into the swing of things. Not giving up on him yet.