HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OT: 10,000 part XXVIII Boycott Hunger Games - MegaMillions at $102mm jackpot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1142887)

LadyStanley 03-23-2012 02:48 AM

10,000 part XXVIII Boycott Hunger Games - MegaMillions at $102mm jackpot

And begin.

Mafoofoo 03-23-2012 02:54 AM

There's no clever subtitle. :pout:

sjshark91 03-23-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mafoofoo (Post 46571835)

Boycott.

LadyStanley 03-23-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mafoofoo (Post 46571835)

I was working on collecting post game links.

Graveland 03-23-2012 03:29 AM

I'm totally going to see the Hunger Games.

drunksage 03-23-2012 03:45 AM

So I guess we need to spam this fast enough to close the thread by the time the weekend is up or else the subtitle will be out of date...

Haven't read The Hunger Games. Is it any good?

sonticus 03-23-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunksage (Post 46572557)
So I guess we need to spam this fast enough to close the thread by the time the weekend is up or else the subtitle will be out of date...

I'd never heard of it before this past weekend, but everyone's been losing their **** over the movie coming out so I guess it was a pretty popular book :help:

Graveland 03-23-2012 05:14 AM

I liked the book and liked Battle Royal a lot so I'm pretty excited about seeing it. I'm also managing my expectations since I haven't liked anything Ross has directed besides Pleasantville.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonticus (Post 46573093)
I'd never heard of it before this past weekend, but everyone's been losing their **** over the movie coming out so I guess it was a pretty popular book :help:

The book was sorta popular:dunno: I guess? I knew Battle Royal way before I was introduced to THG a few months ago. But then again this can also be considered a baby book :sarcasm:

oyster 03-23-2012 07:11 AM

Just got back from watching The Hunger Games a little while ago. I enjoyed it, I thought they did a good job adapting it to film. My friends who I went to see it with only thought it was "okay". I've only read the first book, and they've read the entire series. I think this may have colored their opinion somewhat.

Go see it, it's good! I have a few nitpickey type complaints but overall I really liked it and would recommend it.

:heart: Jennifer Lawrence :heart:

dothedougiemurray 03-23-2012 09:16 AM

The HG series is prob my second favorite, only second to Harry Potter.

It's nothing like Twilight. It's well written, love the heroine, Katniss. Also, a book targeted towards young adults that makes them think about how screwed up our government & society are.

Fistfullofbeer 03-23-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunksage (Post 46572557)

Read the series early last year. I was honestly kind of done with the series by the end of book two but kept going because I hate leaving stories unfinished.

Personally, I do not know what the big deal is about it. It is an average series.

vilpertti 03-23-2012 10:06 AM

So, being a fan of Battle Royale, will THG just annoy me as an americanized pastel color version of BR?

I for one don't buy the author's story of not knowing about BR at all...

Fistfullofbeer 03-23-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 46576225)
Read the series early last year. I was honestly kind of done with the series by the end of book two but kept going because I hate leaving stories unfinished.

Personally, I do not know what the big deal is about it. It is an average series.

Wanted to add something to my previous post. I lied about not finishing any series. My wife reads Twilight .. I tried that. I did not make it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilpertti (Post 46577219)
So, being a fan of Battle Royale, will THG just annoy me as an americanized pastel color version of BR?

No idea what BR is so cannot comment on that.

bigwillie 03-23-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilpertti (Post 46577219)

Someone actually described Hunger Games to me last night and that was exactly what I thought of.

I do appreciate it the fact that it is geared for a younger crowd since Battle Royale was a pretty bruatl(ly awesome) book/film, but for the author to say they know nothing of it is ridiculous.

hockeyball 03-23-2012 10:17 AM

To answer Kpop from the last thread:

They aren't 'mean' exactly, its just the way they catch prey. They use a special sensory organ that detects electrical impulses. It faces down as they prefer to eat bottom dwelling fish. So if you happen to be below one when it swims over you, it might mistake you for food because it doesn't actually look at you.

If you limit your diving to shallow water it reduces the amount of dangerous sharks you are likely to encounter. You are not likely to run into a Great White, Giant Hammerhead, or Oceanic White Tip for instance, and that rules out a huge chunk of the dangerous speices (there are only like 5, out of 300+). Tiger and Bull Sharks though live on the reef and so when you are diving in area's with those species you must be careful.

magic school bus 03-23-2012 10:41 AM

Anything that teens get attached to will become a big deal. For ever teen that sees a movie, they're usually attached to an adult or a group of friends (lots of $$$). Those movies are rightfully promoted like crazy.

209 03-23-2012 11:43 AM

My 9 yr old wants to read this book. I never heard of it before the last few weeks myself. Is he too young for this? Thanks.

Lazyking 03-23-2012 12:06 PM

um, It can be pretty violent at times but not really explicit. At 9, I was reading books like it.

SJSharksfan39 03-23-2012 12:16 PM

I'm actually thinking about seeing The Hunger Games this weekend. I don't know that much about it though, other than it's 3 novels and supposedly popular amongst teens.

Kitten Mittons 03-23-2012 12:40 PM

Wait, why boycott the Hunger Games?

KpopandHockey 03-23-2012 12:43 PM

I've never even heard of the Hunger Games before today. I'm imagining it's either a book about cannibals, or some fear factor game show where they eat various animal penises. o_O

vilpertti 03-23-2012 12:50 PM

Battle Royale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T7yPJVvXw

The Hunger Games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLmsOa2s

SoupyFIN 03-23-2012 01:03 PM

DiNozzo Sr. is actually Number 2.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...png?1322723607

Never realised that before. :laugh: :laugh:

NorCalJen 03-23-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 209 (Post 46580761)
My 9 yr old wants to read this book. I never heard of it before the last few weeks myself. Is he too young for this? Thanks.

I'd recommend reading it first. Depends on your son's maturity level and your standards. It's not super graphic, but there are a lot of deaths and they can be disturbing. I love these books and looking forward to seeing the movie.

Inub0i 03-23-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilpertti (Post 46583929)

Battle Royale was great. A favorite of mine.
BRII was blech.

I dunno, I thought that HG is trying to do what BR is doing, but not as well.