HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Injury Report: Spurgeon (Concussion) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1143137)

tomgilbertfan 03-23-2012 01:04 PM

Spurgeon (Concussion)

Quote:

#mnwild D Jared Spurgeon out indefinitely w a concussion from Alex Tanguay elbow. If Scandella is OK, Wild can't call anybody up (Foster in)
https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/st...42353887297536

Puhis 03-23-2012 01:05 PM

Another victim of the Wild concussion parade. :(

I'm hoping Tanguay gets suspended for this. He better be. :rant:

Generic User 03-23-2012 01:05 PM

Wild player concussed? I am truly shocked.

squidz* 03-23-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 46587275)

Another victim of the Wild concussion parade. :(

I'm hoping Tanguay gets suspended for this. He better be. :rant:

He won't. There's no hearing for him. That said, this is one of the few times I would agree with not having even a hearing. It was an elbow, and it was a 2 minute penalty, but if it were any defenseman other than Sprugeon in that situation, it wouldn't have even been a penalty. Tanguay stuck his arm out to hold up the puck mover, apparently not realizing said puck mover was about 6" shorter than him. Swap Stoner or Gilbert into Spurgeon's spot and it's just a typical bump behind the net.

tomgilbertfan 03-23-2012 01:11 PM

Yeah I didn't see much malice in that elbow.
Some say that he looked back to make sure he hit Spurgeon, but to me it looked like he looked back and thought "Oh **** I just hit that little dude in the face"

Avder 03-23-2012 01:11 PM

:cry:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...stSpurgeon.jpg

Spurgeon joins the ranks of the illustrious Force Ghosts.

Dr Jan Itor 03-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squidz (Post 46587427)
He won't. There's no hearing for him. That said, this is one of the few times I would agree with not having even a hearing. It was an elbow, and it was a 2 minute penalty, but if it were any defenseman other than Sprugeon in that situation, it wouldn't have even been a penalty. Tanguay stuck his arm out to hold up the puck mover, apparently not realizing said puck mover was about 6" shorter than him. Swap Stoner or Gilbert into Spurgeon's spot and it's just a typical bump behind the net.

Agreed. If that's a supsension, then I don't know what a 2 minute elbowing penalty is anymore.

vitogor 03-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Exactly, he was clearly shocked that it was someone's head there, and not the chest. Unfortunate incident. Fine at the most.

Puhis 03-23-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2600 (Post 46587523)
Yeah I didn't see much malice in that elbow.
Some say that he looked back to make sure he hit Spurgeon, but to me it looked like he looked back and thought "Oh **** I just hit that little dude in the face"

I said that, and I still think so. It was clearly intentional. Remember Bouchard? He hasn't hurt a fly yet he got suspended for that stick incident.

squidz* 03-23-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 46587751)
I said that, and I still think so. It was clearly intentional. Remember Bouchard? He hasn't hurt a fly yet he got suspended for that stick incident.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Shanny should have lost his job over the Bouchard suspension, but suspending Tanguay for this wouldn't fix anything.

tomgilbertfan 03-23-2012 01:19 PM

Dammit squidz this is the second time today you've said what I wanted to say before I could.

squidz* 03-23-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2600 (Post 46587851)
Dammit squidz this is the second time today you've said what I wanted to say before I could.

Wooo, I win the prize!

J22 03-23-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

I would agree with this totally if Butch didnt get suspended for trying to slash a guy on the hands

llamapalooza 03-23-2012 01:42 PM

I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the McLeod hit from earlier in the year. I was kind of amazed he didn't get a concussion on that play (or, more accurately, there was no reported concussion). This was just such an accident and, frankly, didn't even look particularly forceful, that I have to wonder if it's the only cause.

And, yeah, no suspension here. Obvious accident.

Minnesota 03-23-2012 01:50 PM

This makes me sad. :(

Jarick 03-23-2012 02:27 PM

Sucks, but that's the risk of a 5'8 defender. Didn't look particularly dirty to me.

OpRedDawn* 03-23-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 46587621)
Agreed. If that's a supsension, then I don't know what a 2 minute elbowing penalty is anymore.

Well they are supposed to factor in if the guy gets hurt. If you elbow a guy in the head, give him a concussion, idk how that isn't suspendable with the new safety precautions set in place.

How many times have we heard "it wasn't intentional, but it's up to the player making the hit to be responsible".

Dr Jan Itor 03-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpRedDawn (Post 46591189)
Well they are supposed to factor in if the guy gets hurt. If you elbow a guy in the head, give him a concussion, idk how that isn't suspendable with the new safety precautions set in place.

How many times have we heard "it wasn't intentional, but it's up to the player making the hit to be responsible".

It's one of the factors, not the entirety of them. That alone doesn't warrant a suspension, IMO.

Avder 03-23-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpRedDawn (Post 46591189)

About as often as we hear "the defender turned when he should have just taken the hit".

I'm not bitter or anything tho.

OpRedDawn* 03-23-2012 02:40 PM

Might as well do that every time going into the boards. Turn your head away and raise your elbow.

The "if i didn't see it, it's ok" rule in full effect!

Outlandish 03-23-2012 02:42 PM

About three times I tried to write something saying Tanguay should be suspended but I just can't. I also don't believe it was intentional and that look back was a surprised one.

OTOH, it was a hit to the head that caused a concussion. You're supposed to be aware of where your stick is at all times, how can that not apply to your elbow which should be much easier to keep track of? If all it takes to get out of a suspension is a shocked look the players gonna start doing drama classes in their off-season workouts:laugh:

Jarick 03-23-2012 02:42 PM

I could see Burrows covering his eyes next time he gets a mouthful.

Engebretson 03-23-2012 02:44 PM

Cripes, is there any way we can just forfeit the rest of the season so we can begin the offseason healing process early?

Wild48 03-23-2012 02:47 PM

Is there any benefit in hoping this is a quick concussion? Put him on the IR and call up a warm body (Is Cuma available?), season is over, no need hurting Spurgeon's future.

Jarick 03-23-2012 02:49 PM

I don't know if they can call up Cuma since Foster's still "healthy". and they used up all their non-emergency callups.