HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Why Brendan Gallagher is one of the most intriguing prospects in hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1143203)

Guilliam 03-23-2012 01:50 PM

Why Brendan Gallagher is one of the most intriguing prospects in hockey

Interesting article on the Vancouver Province, posted on M.Brunet's blog.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Br...888/story.html

Dare I say, Future captain? :sarcasm:

DrunkenHabz 03-23-2012 02:33 PM

...if they don't trade him for a bigger, less talented guy. la Bourque if you know what I mean. It's the new Habs philosophy, as Mister Gauthier stated.

But I agree 100% with you, if somehow, this management doesn't fu*k it up, as always.

poetryinmotion 03-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz (Post 46591239)
...if they don't trade him for a bigger, less talented guy. la Bourque if you know what I mean. It's the new Habs philosophy, as Mister Gauthier stated.

But I agree 100% with you, if somehow, this management doesn't fu*k it up, as always.

Yeah, right. Bourque is big AND a scorer despite his struggles with us so far, and I'm more than willing to let him redeem himself next year. Don't act like PG is turning us into a team of goons, the size is a very welcome addition.

Myron Gaines* 03-23-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 46591373)
Yeah, right. Bourque is big AND a scorer despite his struggles with us so far, and I'm more than willing to let him redeem himself next year. Don't act like PG is turning us into a team of goons, the size is a very welcome addition.

Even though I've criticized Bourque alot, I still think he deserves a chance to redeem himself, but the coaching staff and the GM have to put him in the right situation to succeed.

As you said, the size and the physicality are very welcome, but in the end it's all about good balance. You still wanna have really skilled guys in your team, small or not.

Bullsmith 03-23-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Bourque played himself out of Calgary and has had a chance to revitalize his career in Mtl. It's not just that he's failed, it's that he hasn't even tried. If you look up "coast" in the dictionary there's a picture of Bourque there. I'd love him to "redeem himself" next year, but on what basis can anyone really expect it?

He averages a little over 1 hit game for his whole career, and he's slowing down and slacking off. I can't see any reason to get my hopes up, personally. Guy's been truly terrible.

boynickname 03-23-2012 02:59 PM

I really like his attitude and how he battles for the puck and is also willing to drop the gloves...put that together with his skill and he will have a good NHL career. This is the type of player that will be great when playoffs roll around

Hullois 03-23-2012 02:59 PM

This board has got an amazing way of changing the topic of the thread within the first 4 posts lol

Bullsmith 03-23-2012 03:00 PM

I love Gallagher but man he's going to take a beating. He's a fantastic story, but by the same token the fact that he's one of our top F prospects is not exactly a sign of organizational depth. Still, he's a heck of a hockey player. His will to win is incredible.

OneSharpMarble 03-23-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

If Gallagher turns into a useless floater like cammalleri by all means trade him.

DrunkenHabz 03-23-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

I'm not acting like anything. I'm just recalling what PG said already. And I'm looking at facts. We lost Cammalleri (not that I liked him) and Kostitsyn (didn't really liked him either) that represented our 'talent' department. Since then, our lines have shown Blunden, Bourque, Staubitz, White among others. Add a Moen to that and it's not that far from a goon team. Not to mention that Leblanc tends to lean more on the 'grinder' type than the 'sniper' one. As well as Darche, ect. So please tell me how this team is not turning into a goon/grinding oriented team?

Bourque is big AND has an incredible talent to miss the net. No but seriously, everybody in the world of hockey knows that Bourque is a guy like Pouliot or Kostitsyn. He shows up 1 game and sleeps on the next 4. Sure the salary cap is better looking than when Cammy did the same, but at the end of the day, Bourque is not as physical as we thought him to be and his shot is not as great as Cammy's. (Just to make it clear, I really didn't like Cammy so don't come argumenting that Cammy sucked, you'd be right).

As for Gallagher, he's awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing him play with the big club asap.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 03-23-2012 03:06 PM

I don't want him on the team yet. Let him take his time in Hamilton battling it out with Kristo and maybe Holland.

DrunkenHabz 03-23-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 46592615)
If Gallagher turns into a useless floater like cammalleri by all means trade him.

Exactly. Couldn't have stated it better. :yo:

DAChampion 03-23-2012 03:07 PM

I'd like to see a line of Gallagher-Desharnais-Gionta -- for one shift, as a curiosity.

In reality, I don't think a team can have more than 2 short guys in the top-6. It's possible, but I doubt it, even 2 short guys might be a lot.

However, I don't see Gallagher making the team as a regular before Gionta's contract is up, so there's no issue. With the way he's going, two full seasons in Hamilton might be enough to propel him to a Calder Trophy nomination.

DrunkenHabz 03-23-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hullois (Post 46592521)
This board has got an amazing way of changing the topic of the thread within the first 4 posts lol

Dude that's exactly what I thought when I came back to see who I made mad with my Bourque statement. :laugh:

Weirdly, I knew somehow everybody would be talking about Bourque instead of Gallagher. I'm sorry, should have known better.

Great article!

Stjonnypopo 03-23-2012 03:32 PM

Is this thread about Bourque?

Anyway, Gallagher is one of those guys who forces the coach to keep him on the team. He has a size disadvantage and he does absolutely everything necessary to counter that disadvantage; he skates hard, he plays hard, he scores goals, makes passes, he has vision, etc.

I don't know if we'll see him full-time next season but I expect he'll start in Hamilton and earn intermittent callups like Lebland and Palushaj this season) and if he performs as well as he should he'll be a full-time NHLer in 2013-2014

DogsFan* 03-23-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolument90 (Post 46592801)
I don't want him on the team yet. Let him take his time in Hamilton battling it out with Kristo and maybe Holland.

Holland isn't even close to Gallagher's level.

Born in 1909 03-23-2012 03:41 PM

Gio is done in 2 years.

Its perfect timing. :)

As far as Bourque goes, cut him loose this summer. The trend is in.

He is just like Gomez. Done in on the early side of his career.

haburger 03-23-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Erik cole says hi.

Bullsmith 03-23-2012 04:15 PM

Kristo's another prospect with really big upside, but who's going to have to fight to achieve it. He's not blue chip top line, but like Gallagher has high-impact offensive potential. Keyword is potential.

sharks9 03-23-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullsmith (Post 46592593)
I love Gallagher but man he's going to take a beating. He's a fantastic story, but by the same token the fact that he's one of our top F prospects is not exactly a sign of organizational depth. Still, he's a heck of a hockey player. His will to win is incredible.

I don't see it as a bad sign, the fact that he made the WJC for Team Canada shows he would be a top prospect for pretty much any team.

It's also another potential steal by our scouts. Keep it up Timmins! :handclap:

FiveForDrawingBlood 03-23-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

We dumped a big contract for often injured player in Bourque trade. Plus, got a 2nd pick in an exceptionally deep draft.

Analyzer 03-23-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood (Post 46596433)
We dumped a big contract for often injured player in Bourque trade. Plus, got a 2nd pick in an exceptionally deep draft.

Don't forget Holland who injured Gallagher.

See, this Bourque talk is related to Gallagher in a way.

Captain Smurf 03-23-2012 04:45 PM

He just screams Gio, which is a great thing. Dunno if he'll be able to have a similar impact, but he seems to have the philosophy of Gio and DD which makes him very intriguing as a prospect.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 03-23-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 46597173)
Don't forget Holland who injured Gallagher.

See, this Bourque talk is related to Gallagher in a way.

It wasn't Holland that injured him but he certainly destroyed him on that hit.

shutehinside 03-23-2012 04:46 PM

Fire Timmins!