HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lilja (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1144149)

flyersfan018 03-24-2012 01:52 PM

Lilja

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Lilja? He can occasionally make the big hit and I think he makes for a decent 3rd pairing defensemen considering his salary.

sobrien 03-24-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan018 (Post 46641015)
Am I the only one who doesn't hate Lilja? He can occasionally make the big hit and I think he makes for a decent 3rd pairing defensemen considering his salary.

Nope. Good 6/7 guy.

sa cyred 03-24-2012 01:59 PM

Here's the thing. At his age, once he starts playing a few games in a row he really starts to struggle. Looks good in the beginning, but age really takes a toll on him. He becomes slower and is prone to a lot of turnovers. Like for playoffs, he will most likely look solid the first few games, but one will see how he will struggle if we move on.

King Forsberg 03-24-2012 02:01 PM

He needs rest to keep fresh but when he gets that he's fine out there.

Sawdalite 03-24-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

No... I don't hate him either.

With Lilja they were able to spread around the minutes with every D-man now healthy except Mesz lately... he can play decent minutes and definitely Third Pair ones.

My only concern with him is his 35+ contract... I've never met one that's more than one season that I DID like... I believe Homer signed him for a 7th D-man during the season to let the young guys play and develop and then have him step in in the PostSeason for veteran savvy and depth. With Grossmann and Kubina on board he would have been the 7th in the PosSeason also but turned out as good depth with Mesz out the first round+.

... Seems Lilja has some injury though and may not play vs The Habs... since it is still iffy, I assume it is nothing major nor anything that will allow him to miss much time.

Sawdalite 03-24-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timonen (Post 46641377)
He needs rest to keep fresh but when he gets that he's fine out there.

I could see him not practicing much and pulling maintenance days often.

Vikke 03-24-2012 02:18 PM

I hate him when he has the puck. He's failing so many clearing attempts and outlet passes. Other than that, he's doing a good job. Pretty much what's expected, I'd say.

DrHamburg 03-24-2012 02:45 PM

He started off really strong, then fell off, didn't play for a while and has played great lately. He is a very solid 6/7 if they give him ample games off. maybe next season with 1/2 youngsters playing on D they can split time and be more effective?

SgtJoseph 03-24-2012 02:54 PM

I think lilja is what he is......and we got a pretty good lower tier defenseman for a good price.....He still has the ability to make some good solid hits as well.....

BillDineen 03-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke (Post 46642003)
I hate him when he has the puck. He's failing so many clearing attempts and outlet passes. Other than that, he's doing a good job. Pretty much what's expected, I'd say.

This.

Good shot blocker as well.

Flyerfan4life 03-24-2012 03:02 PM

hes so replacable why care ???

next season we can find another plugin for his slot.

he doesnt bring anything, that i would worry for even 1 second if we didnt bring him back.

Vikke 03-24-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 46643545)
hes so replacable why care ???

next season we can find another plugin for his slot.

he doesnt bring anything, that i would worry for even 1 second if we didnt bring him back.

He's on a two year deal, though.

YuioIklo 03-24-2012 04:39 PM

He's a 6/7th D with a 750k cap hit, and he's playing like a 6/7th D with a 750k salary... he's competent in his role. Nothing against him.

bp spec 03-24-2012 09:02 PM

Don't like him at all. But for his cap hit I guess he's decent. It frustrating how slow he is, but he has some routine wich is important playoff time. As a 6/7 I guess I accept him.

CavemanLawyer 03-24-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Nope, not at all. I pop up in many threads to defend him, and people finally starting to see - Oh he's a 6/7 who plays like a 6/7! Who'd a thunk it.

The problem is like what was stated up there - He's replaceable so who cares. If he does something good, who cares lets replace him with someone better. If he does something bad, hes horrible lets replace him with anybody... This leads to people over reacting when he does something bad and not seeing the good things (a 6/7 good thing) he does.

He's a perfectly fine and serviceable 6/7. Exactly what he was marketed as when signed.

BrindamoursNose 03-24-2012 10:37 PM

I think he's okay.

The problem is that I see him as unnecessary when MAB and Gustafsson...even Manning looked extremely competent during their stints here. Since they're young, I automatically favor potential over the (36?) year old d-man.

mirimon 03-25-2012 10:07 AM

We've had worse defenders as our 6th/7th dmen (5th even). That said, I would have preferred if the position had been trusted to one of our younger guys.

whatthef 03-25-2012 01:11 PM

I think Lilja is pretty awful and I still would have much rather kept O'Donnell. Even if not O'Donnell our rookie D-men have largely been better than him so he mostly wasted cap space, a contract, and roster spot.

Sawdalite 03-25-2012 08:48 PM

I disagree with many of you... Come the PostSeason I'd rather have the tested and mature veterans than the young ones that may well be the future... I've seen so many kids be benched when the money is on the line, and even worse I've see far too many having to be thrown out there because we didn't have the veteran depth.

Now, in the Regular Season I want to see the Guses, Bourdons and Mannings of the Organization seeing NHL ice-time while getting more high ice-time with the Phantoms and being prepped to step up down the line... Come the POs, give me a Lilja in the crunch and have a Gus practicing, traveling and learning from the PressBox.

Lilja has to stay next season -- being paid on a 35+ contract anyway -- and should be a capable and cheap depth 6/7 D-man playing out his career... Maybe one of the kids can push him out come next Spring Dance, at which time I'd be elated. I like the kids now, but if you notice they are pulling lesser minutes when they are dressed than Lilja is laely... with him they have been spreading the minutes pretty much evenly with a couple minutes increments separating the pairings; with the kids the drop off of the 6th D-man is much greater.