HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Help sought with diet and hydration issues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1144611)

night-timer 03-25-2012 02:03 AM

Help sought with diet and hydration issues

I drink a lot of water on the bench... several liters over the course of a game. I drink a fair bit of coffee away from the rink and I used to drink a lot of booze, although I'm cutting down on it.

The coffee and alcohol would be leading to dehydration. Will lots of water (at game time) fix it?

How else does alcohol reduce performance in sports? What are its exact side effects?

I want to be more than a beer league player, so it's up to me to get it sorted.

Myself and other players complain of having to take a pee break during the game (or after suiting up), but that could easily be nerves, as well.

Also, what's the best diet for hockey? What are the benefits of (a) protein and (b) carbs, and how do I best get them? Thanks in advance.

ArrogantOwl 03-25-2012 02:13 AM

1. No, because the other junk is already in your blood.
2. Alcohol changes the way you think and how blood flows.

Your best bet is to hydrate hours before the game.

Royal Canuck 03-25-2012 03:57 AM

Cut the Coffee and Alcohol, Water won't help it. drink nothing but water before the game, maybe a gatorade but it has to be half and half with water. drink water continuously throughout the game, pace yourself with it. after the game, drink chocolate milk.

Royal Canuck 03-25-2012 03:58 AM

And I forgot to add in, lots of fruit and veggies.

Lonny Bohonos 03-25-2012 04:10 AM

Coffee creates very few issues.

Many athletes drink coffee right before being active.

Alcohol on the other hand.

Gino 14 03-25-2012 05:13 AM

Alcohol is a diuretic and consuming large quantities of coffee does the same thing, so both dehydrate you. It takes time for your body to absorb the water you are taking in, so drinking it at game time isn't allowing your body enough time to replace the already missing water from alcohol and coffee much less the fluids you are losing from playing.

Danglous 03-25-2012 11:23 AM

TOO much water can be just as bad as not enough. Take a few sips after every shift but dont go chugging it or you will feel like ****.

As far as meals go, it took me a long time to get it down exactly but I like to eat carbs throughout the day and eat a nice carb-loaded meal about 4 hours before game time. After the game I will eat protein and a banana to help cramping. I always try to eat healthy but especially on game day. What you eat can make a world of a difference on the ice.

Also, drink lots of water leading up to the game, avoid tea, soda, coffee, and other junk foods.

sanityplease 03-25-2012 12:10 PM

You shouldn't have to drink several liters over the course of a game. Don't drink booze the night before a game day, can dehydrate/fatigue you. Don't drink too much coffee before the game (a small one is fine), can make you feel thirsty & have to pee come gametime. & Try to hydrate yourself well during the day (not booze).

SouthpawTRK 03-25-2012 01:19 PM

There is an article in the March issue of USA Hockey Magazine that talks about hydration. The author mentions that you should consume 17-20 fluid ounces of water/sports drink prior to exercise and 7-10 fluid ounces before practice.

In my opinion, drinking several liters of water during a game is excessive, but then again I'm no doctor.

As far as a pregame meal; I like to have a small salad, chicken and rice (or chicken and pasta) and some fruit. I avoid any food that will cause me an upset stomach or cause a lot of burping (i.e. onions, peppers, chiles, etc...) I make it a point to drink around 60 ounces of water during the day (it can be a little tough, but I feel it helps). I like to have my pregame meal about 5-6 hours prior to game time.

If I have any coffee during the day, it's usually in the morning (along with a bowl of oatmeal); other than that it's the only time that I have coffee during the day.

As far as alcohol, I stay away from it (mainly because I have a slight allergic reaction to it). My only vice is having a couple of sodas during the day; which does not help with weight gain and can increase a person's chance of diabetes.

Jarick 03-25-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night-timer (Post 46687627)
The coffee and alcohol would be leading to dehydration. Will lots of water (at game time) fix it?

As others said, hydration seems to require up to 24 hours to fully take effect. I've spoken with high level athletes who would up water intake as much as a day in advance of competition.

Quote:

How else does alcohol reduce performance in sports? What are its exact side effects?
For me it tends to slow me down and wear me out if I drink the night before a game (never drink on game days). Probably because your body shifts focus to breaking down the alcohol rather than maintaining healthy cell function.

Quote:

Also, what's the best diet for hockey? What are the benefits of (a) protein and (b) carbs, and how do I best get them? Thanks in advance.
There's a lot of debate on this, but it depends on your activity level. The more active you are, the more carbs you need in your diet, because activities like hockey (and lifting if you do that) drain glycogen from your muscles, which is created by carbohydrate breakdown. I used to play once a week and had a low carb diet and was fine, but when I started lifting a 2-3 times a week, I crashed with energy levels and had to eat more carbs, which fixed it.

Protein is required to build and repair muscles. Again, hockey is a sport that taxes your muscles, causing tiny tears and soreness. Protein intake and rest repair the muscles and make them stronger for future activity. Not to mention other cellular functions.

Lots of athletes have success on a "Zone" type diet, which is 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat. Some like more protein, some like more carbs, some like more fat, etc. If you're fairly lean now, focusing on eating lots of complex carbs and leaner cuts of meat will keep you running fairly well.