HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cally is scoring elite goals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1144631)

Whoot Whoot 03-25-2012 04:08 AM

Cally is scoring elite goals

Categorizing goals isn't the easiest but if you classify the average checking line goal is blue collar and the average Malkin, Stamkos goal is white goal this season Cally is scoring a ton of goal scorers goals. Goals that the average NHL wouldn't put in. He is just so improved in all areas. Hard not to be really proud of him.

SixGoalieSystem 03-25-2012 04:16 AM

I'd say most of his goals are bad angle thrown pucks or "crash the net" style goals, but he does have a pretty mean shot.

He's not an elite goalscorer by any measure. He is however an elite captain. He never takes a shift off, never cheats on the backcheck, blocks shots, forechecks like a freckin hero. There are very few players in this league that i'd rather have than Ryan Callahan.

Most of his goals are pretty ugly, but they count too.

Callagraves 03-25-2012 05:22 AM

Funny, i just watched all of his goals from this season, and there are alot of wow moments in there. A few sniper shots, a few diving goals, a few dekes, and then there are his assists.

All season long he's had the confidence to try new things, and it's paying off.

92hatchattack 03-25-2012 07:39 AM

The biggest thing about Cally and Richards goals this season is when they score them. Both of these players are scoring goals when we really need them. They are scoring goals that are winning us games.

Dont they have about 8 GWG each or something?

Ryan McDonut 03-25-2012 08:15 AM

hes having an awesome season. i really hope 25+ goals becomes the norm for him.

you gotta love the captain. end of story

SupersonicMonkey* 03-25-2012 08:36 AM

What does this even mean?

"Junk" goals count as much as "highlight" goals.

There's no such things as "elite" goals.

Ask someone who watches Stamkos on a regular basis how most of his goals are scored. Going to the net and picking up "junk" goals. You think he scored 50 "snipe" goals?

h0ckeyman 03-25-2012 08:59 AM

He does have some talent. He has scored at every level he's played at his entire life. That being said "elite" is pushing it, but he is a natural goal scorer to some degree, for sure.

Rangers1135 03-25-2012 10:06 AM

Does the game winning shoot-out goal count as a goal?

BlessThisMess513 03-25-2012 10:21 AM

One of the smartest thing this organization has done in recent memory is make him captain. Hes everything you'd want in one. I would rather have him in a locker room giving us the pre game speech than an elite scoring player. Ex.- Crosby,OV, more or less Sedin,etc...

broadwayblue 03-25-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers1135 (Post 46692303)
Does the game winning shoot-out goal count as a goal?

no, it doesn't.

Fitzy 03-25-2012 11:15 AM

Really pulling for him to hit 30 goals, but am concerned about two things.

One- his contract is up UFA style after 2 more years.

Two- A guy named Chris Drury had a very similar career line and was useless by age 31.

What if Callahan Drurys? It is a scary thought.

Trxjw 03-25-2012 11:25 AM

He's always had a good shot, but his release is mediocre. Makes it hard for him to score "pretty" goals off the rush or under tight coverage.

nyrfan1026 03-25-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 46693897)

Two- A guy named Chris Drury had a very similar career line and was useless by age 31.

There are so many things wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin?

You really think a captain is going to ditch his team in the midst of being in the run of being perennial cup contenders? The team could even have won a Cup by then.

Think about that. The dude would be at god status in NYC and on the way to his number hanging to the rafters of MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.

Players want to come to NY, to play for an O-6 franchise. That means something.

You're really worried about the captain of all people pulling strings to try and price himself out.

From the organizations perspective, You're really worried about the Rangers low-balling him? Look at some of the retarted contracts we've handed out over the past few seasons. The term low-ball seemingly doesn't exist in NYR vocabulary.

Tortorella would never let this happen. He's got a major hard-on for Callahan. He's calling the shots these days. When the time comes he will be rewarded generously.

RE Drury: One could argue the way his body broke down is NOT the norm. Yes he played reckless as does Callahan, however, even though I can't think of any at the moment, there are players out there who have played a physical game and can continue to be effective into their mid-30s

Fitzy 03-25-2012 11:35 AM

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer with my post.

I wasn't suggesting he'd leave. Although Drury was a captain and left a competitive Sabres team.

What I was suggesting is that he'd land a very large contract with the Rangers, and then have his performance break down very quickly.

Rangers Fail 03-25-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 46694491)

I wasn't suggesting he'd leave. Although Drury was a captain and left a competitive Sabres team.

What I was suggesting is that he'd land a very large contract with the Rangers, and then have his performance break down very quickly.

I don't see Cally obtaining "Dreary" status, ever.

Kershaw 03-25-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 46694491)

Yup. This is exactly how I feel about Callahan. His body will eventually get tired of the wear and tear playing physical hockey and he'll become a slower, less aggressive player.

nyrfan1026 03-25-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 46694657)
Yup. This is exactly how I feel about Callahan. His body will eventually get tired of the wear and tear playing physical hockey and he'll become a slower, less aggressive player.

God this board is even worse off then I thought.

A thread dedicated to our captain who is about to hit 30 goals and people have to find a potential negative that we are years away from encountering.

Has being a Rangers fan really ****** with your guys heads that badly?

Bob Richards 03-25-2012 12:24 PM

If by elite goals you mean those beastly Malkin-esque moves, then no.
If by elite goals you mean scoring timely, momentum changing/game winners, then yes.

Callagraves 03-25-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

If Callahan Drurys by 33, it'll still be a MONSTER of a 4th round draft pick, and over half a decade of brilliant captaincy.

I desperately want to see this man raise the cup.

BlueshirtBlitz 03-25-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Drury was useless at 7.5 million and after a degenerative knee condition.

I don't see Cally making that much ever (hopefully), and so far there's no conditions like that to worry about.

Even then, Callahan is a homegrown captain and to expect him to still be playing like this by age 33, he'd essentially be Shane Doan-lite. I just hope the decline isn't Drury-esque, and he can still put up 40~ points on the 3rd line while bringing top PKing skills for NOT-7.5 million dollars.

Love the Captain.

OverTheCap 03-25-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Although it's not so much of an issue now, it may become a legitimate concern down the road. Eerily enough, both Callahan and Drury suffered sprained knee injuries somewhat early in their careers, and it was the first major injury of their NHL career for both of them. I hope Cally doesn't follow the same path as Drury regarding injuries, but it wouldn't surprise me if his body is worn down by the time he's in his early 30s.

Mio41 03-25-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubi17 (Post 46690479)
you gotta love the captain. end of story

And respect him also...

Whoot Whoot 03-25-2012 06:44 PM

By elite I mean clever shots - excellent wrister placement (all those top shelf bad angles in the opening of the season). Some excellent dekes and moves. He is scoring more then junk goals this year.

Ice Hockey 03-25-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubkov21 (Post 46689067)
I'd say most of his goals are bad angle thrown pucks or "crash the net" style goals, but he does have a pretty mean shot.

He's not an elite goalscorer by any measure. He is however an elite captain. He never takes a shift off, never cheats on the backcheck, blocks shots, forechecks like a freckin hero. There are very few players in this league that i'd rather have than Ryan Callahan.

Most of his goals are pretty ugly, but they count too.

this season many of his goals have been highlight reel material.

Machinehead 03-25-2012 06:56 PM

Like I've said before, he's known as a hard worker but he has the talent of a legit top 6 star.

Prust and Boyle bust ass out there too, they're not scoring in the 20's consistently and threatening 30. Callahan's good.