HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Future Stars: Smith/Smith/Chiasson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1144843)

Larry Fisher 03-25-2012 01:52 PM

Future Stars: Smith/Smith/Chiasson

Hey guys,

This thread kind of bombed on the Prospects Board so I figured I'd try again here. Looking for a compare and contrast on three Dallas forward prospects playing NCAA hockey:

Alex Chiasson (2nd Rounder in 2009)
Reilly Smith (3rd rounder in 2009)
Austin Smith (5th Rounder in 2007)

Austin Smith, A Texas native, recently signed and is turning pro, he's the oldest and smallest (5'10" 165 lbs according to hockeydb), but also the highest scoring this past season, putting up 36 goals and 57 points in 39 games during his fourth and final year for Colgate College.

Reilly Smith is the youngest, average-sized (6'0" 160 lbs) from Ontario, and coming off a 30-goal, 48-point in 38-game campaign, his third at Miami University.

Chiasson, from Quebec, is the biggest (6'4" 195 lbs) and appears to be more of a playmaker than a scorer based on his stats (15 goals and 44 points in 37 games) in his third season at Boston University.

That's what HockeyDb.com tells me...but what can you tell me?

I'm looking for scouting reports and opinions from posters who have watched one or preferably all three live.

Who has the best pro potential? Who is most likely to make the jump first and have an immediate impact? What kind of players do they project to be? Who are NHL comparables? Are any of the three considered "A" prospects?

For conversation sake, if all three were available in a fantasy league's Rookie Draft, what order would you draft them and why?

Rune Forumwalker 03-25-2012 05:39 PM

In order of potential it is most likely Chiasson, R.Smith, and then A.Smith. The first two are most likely to be 2nd liners, while Austin would most likely be a 3rd liner.

Reilly Smith has been signed and is with the team now, while Austin was sent to Cedar Park. It would seem Reilly is the one that will crack the team first. Nothing has been announced on Chiasson yet even though his team has also been eliminated from the NCAA tournament, I believe.

glovesave_35 03-25-2012 07:29 PM

Chiasson and Reilly Smith are a different tier of prospect relative to Austin Smith.

MetalGodAOD 03-25-2012 08:04 PM

Chiasson will be in Texas next week as well.

KiedisA 03-27-2012 09:31 AM

Who would be the current/just retired NHL'ers whom to relate them with?

I know absolutely nothing about the College ice-hockey and it's level and obviously have not seen clips from any of them so need a bit of info to start.

Frozen Failure 03-27-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiedisA (Post 46796821)
Who would be the current/just retired NHL'ers whom to relate them with?

I know absolutely nothing about the College ice-hockey and it's level and obviously have not seen clips from any of them so need a bit of info to start.

Chiasson: Getzlaf with a lower scoring ceiling
R Smith: Nieuwendyk
A Smith: Maybe Fiddler with more scoring upside?

txomisc 03-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 46798243)
Chiasson: Getzlaf with a lower scoring ceiling
R Smith: Nieuwendyk
A Smith: Maybe Fiddler with more scoring upside?

I cant think of a good comparable but I don't like the Nieuwendyk comparison at all.

Frozen Failure 03-27-2012 10:52 AM

Well, I'd love to change it but I can't find a good scouting report for the guy anywhere. Would you rather I say he's the next Eriksson? Steve Sullivan (I don't think he's been labeled as a shifty guy)?

Defensively responsible, high character sniper type is all I'm running on. Wish I knew how he played on a game to game basis. I don't think a 30-20 guy is out of the equation (basically Nieuwy's statline for most of his career)

Dr GLU 03-27-2012 11:05 AM

Off the top of my head, these are the guys I see. These comparables are a little rough, but I didn't spend too much time thinking about them.

Chiasson - Dan Cleary/Johan Franzen
A. Smith - Jason Blake/Niklas Hagman
R. Smith - Patrick Sharp