HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: ruling please: options to add to roster because of injury (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1144883)

bernmeister 03-25-2012 02:47 PM

ruling please: options to add to roster because of injury

With the latest injury to Zuc, I am curious to know if there are any 'loopholes' or provisions that will allow Rangers to sign and promote another player.

Can long term injury or some equivalent be used to bring up a guy like Yogan, etc, feel free to suggest a name, who would likely go to 4th line, everybody else gets bumped up one.

Yes, yes yes, I am aware Yogan would be better with more seasoning.
This would be an option in addition to/instead of Kreider.

If we blow an ELC year on Yogan I can live with that.
If it looks like a difference maker I'm open minded on Krieder, though'd I'd prefer some point next year, preferably mid season.

CM PUNK 03-25-2012 03:30 PM

There is no need for a loophole. There are no roster limits after the trade deadline, you get 4 callups and then as many as you need for 'emergencies'

The problem is we have no one to call up

bernmeister 03-25-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM PUNK (Post 46703845)
There is no need for a loophole. There are no roster limits after the trade deadline, you get 4 callups and then as many as you need for 'emergencies'

The problem is we have no one to call up

Thank you.
So you're saying with legit 'emergencies' --- any position not just G --- we can still bring a guy up!

ok. That helps.
Now, like you say, who we gonna call?

... and resist the temptation to say 'Ghostbusters'

dafink44 03-25-2012 08:59 PM

Simple

The answer is easy...AVERY!!!

mahonistan* 03-25-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dafink44 (Post 46723475)
The answer is easy...AVERY!!!

He is kind of the only option at this point.

Thumpz 03-25-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahonistan (Post 46723961)
He is kind of the only option at this point.

That's not true, Newbury and Wellman can both be called up and would be decent 4th line call ups at this point.

bmw2004 03-25-2012 09:52 PM

And if we lose 2nd or 3rd liner who would be the option?

Tawnos 03-25-2012 09:58 PM

There's no way Avery is in game shape right now anyway.

in the hall 03-25-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 46727043)

He's also retired.

Tawnos 03-25-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall (Post 46727441)
He's also retired.

Not officially.

WhipNash27 03-25-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 46727043)

Exactly. No sane person would put Avery into an NHL game right now. He hasn't played hockey in months. Plus who knows if he even has any sort of desire to play hockey anymore.

ThisYearsModel 03-26-2012 12:50 AM

Isn't there an issue due to the Rangers having 49 players under contract and the limit being 50? They could not sign both Yogan and Kreider, right?

theJUMPER 03-26-2012 01:14 AM

The answer is Sean Avery.

Who the hell is Wellwood? And we've seen Newbury...yay we don't have enough grinders that can't score!

It'll take Avery a week to get into shape. I guarantee he plays team ball and goes along with what torts wants and behaves like a trooper. He knows he isn't making millions being in fashion. THe NHL is his meal ticket and this is his last hooray for a contract.

Callagraves 03-26-2012 02:46 AM

Avery will never play in the NHL again, and if by some chance he does, it will not be in New York.

You call up Wellman or Newbury. If they think Kreider can make them that much better of a team, you eat the one year of the ELC.

nyr5186 03-26-2012 04:12 AM

At this point, with BC in the Final Four, I think it's more likely for Kreider to sign on and play in Connecticut than debuting for the Rangers in the playoffs.

Let's take it easy with this kid. I know we're all excited to see him in Rangers blue, but it makes sense to take just one step at a time with him. That being said, if he really impresses in Hartford, and if management thinks he can contribute to the Rangers (or if injuries require a skill call-up) later in the playoffs, we might see him get an opportunity.

In the end, it's really all up to him. He's not gonna be given a spot up here strictly off of merit. I believe he'll have to prove it in Hartford first.

Rangers Fail 03-26-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel (Post 46733009)
Isn't there an issue due to the Rangers having 49 players under contract and the limit being 50? They could not sign both Yogan and Kreider, right?

Yep. But they signed Yogan to an ELC, which kicks in next season. There is one more contract left for this year.

Vitto79 03-26-2012 08:08 AM

I imagine Wellman is the next call up. May as well see what he can do on the PP. Bench Mitchell.

Also JAM would likely get signed but they are waiting to see what Kreider will do. Is Kreider not advancing so a lock to not come to the Rangers now? ATO in CT would be best I imagine

So maybe sign JAM who is leading CT with that last contract spot?

GAGLine 03-26-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr5186 (Post 46735055)
At this point, with BC in the Final Four, I think it's more likely for Kreider to sign on and play in Connecticut than debuting for the Rangers in the playoffs.

Let's take it easy with this kid. I know we're all excited to see him in Rangers blue, but it makes sense to take just one step at a time with him. That being said, if he really impresses in Hartford, and if management thinks he can contribute to the Rangers (or if injuries require a skill call-up) later in the playoffs, we might see him get an opportunity.

In the end, it's really all up to him. He's not gonna be given a spot up here strictly off of merit. I believe he'll have to prove it in Hartford first.

Playing a few games at the NHL level won't hurt him. He's already played against pros the last 2 years at the WC.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and light it up, but he provides things that this team can use: size and speed. Once he signs, he'll practice with the Rangers for a few days and Torts will get a look at him, and at some point he'll be inserted into a game.

GAGLine 03-26-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 46736921)
I imagine Wellman is the next call up. May as well see what he can do on the PP. Bench Mitchell.

Also JAM would likely get signed but they are waiting to see what Kreider will do. Is Kreider not advancing so a lock to not come to the Rangers now? ATO in CT would be best I imagine

So maybe sign JAM who is leading CT with that last contract spot?

I can't see the Rangers giving JAM an ELC and playing him this year. He's done well in Hartford, but he's undersized. If he's not strong enough yet to play at this level, he's not going to be of any use. Kreider is physically ready. There's no question about that. Even if Kreider doesn't score, his size and speed will be an asset to this team.

JAM will be offered a contract in the offseason.

petejudge 03-26-2012 08:41 AM

if the rangers thought MZA was physical enough to play in the nhl they better think JAM is. JAM is one of the best talents the rangers have in CT right now and with kreider guaranteed to be playing in the tournament until the last day of the regular season, i'd rather bring up a guy now who has some AHL experience (and is tearing it up at the AHL level) and give him a few games in blue to see what he can do.

put JAM on the third line with anisimov and fedotenko, have a 4th line of boyle prust and rupp. i think you now create a really balanced 3rd line. JAM is offense-minded, anisimov's got a 2-way game, and feds is one of the best defensive forwards there is.

JAM isn't a defensive slouch either..people forget that he won the duchesne trophy in the qmjhl

i don't want chris kreider's first experience in the nhl to be a 1st round playoff series with philadelphia, washington, or buffalo. i think he'll probably be a little shellshocked by it

bernmeister 03-26-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel (Post 46733009)

This is part of what I was alluding to when I said if we need a work around.
So basically, if Zuc has broken whatever in his wherever, and is a legit medical issue, they don't get any exemption to add another contract. That's what you're telling me.

I thought the earlier response noted "emergencies", and these would not be limited to just goalies.

Assuming we were to absolutely need to, can we just ask somebody very low on the totem pole wink wink to retire effective immediately, and then let them unretire next year? Or throw them some other kind of reasonable favor for this solid?

bernmeister 03-26-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petejudge (Post 46737517)
if the rangers thought MZA was physical enough to play in the nhl they better think JAM is. JAM is one of the best talents the rangers have in CT right now and with kreider guaranteed to be playing in the tournament until the last day of the regular season, i'd rather bring up a guy now who has some AHL experience (and is tearing it up at the AHL level) and give him a few games in blue to see what he can do.

put JAM on the third line with anisimov and fedotenko, have a 4th line of boyle prust and rupp. i think you now create a really balanced 3rd line. JAM is offense-minded, anisimov's got a 2-way game, and feds is one of the best defensive forwards there is.

JAM isn't a defensive slouch either..people forget that he won the duchesne trophy in the qmjhl

i don't want chris kreider's first experience in the nhl to be a 1st round playoff series with philadelphia, washington, or buffalo. i think he'll probably be a little shellshocked by it

I have an open mind as to JAM at the right time.
They were wrong about Zuc, he doesn't have enough speed for separation to be effective.

My inquiry is as to immediate help? Besides Wellman.
Instead of JAM now, maybe St. Croix?
Colgan? McNaught [better option than Newbury, IMO]? Pashnin?

Can we get somebody now so we are not completely depleted by middle of playoffs?

AdamBanks99 03-26-2012 09:15 AM

JAM is only signed to an AHL contract, so he can't be called up.

petejudge 03-26-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamBanks99 (Post 46738325)
JAM is only signed to an AHL contract, so he can't be called up.

they can sign one more pro contract, which was being saved for kreider but he won't be available until the playoffs. they can sign JAM right now to a pro contract so he can play for the rangers right now and into the playoffs

petejudge 03-26-2012 10:49 AM

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...ry-level-deal/

does this mean yogan got the 50th contract?