HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wild officially eliminated from playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1145035)

Avder 03-25-2012 06:39 PM

Wild officially eliminated from playoffs

So, with the Caps beating us in regulation today, the Wild are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It was purely academic at this point.

But I am wondering, when did everyone realize that the playoffs were only a fantasy for this year?

For me it was two specific events. First was the massive third period collapse against Nashville that lead to a 5-4 regulation loss that just left us all stunned. And then a few weeks later when the Blue Jackets beat us twice in one week I knew our goose was cooked...there was no way we were getting back on track with enough left in the tank to make it in.

So let's celebrate the official end to whatever waning hopes some of us may have had and let's get it all out there so hopefully we can forget all about it next year.

Puhis 03-25-2012 06:42 PM

For me? When we lost twice to the BJs.

I had slight hopes up before that, but knew after it that... Well, it was it. It was a good run though, leading the NHL feels good.

tomgilbertfan 03-25-2012 06:43 PM

When the Bluejackets beat us twice, and ANA beat us once, all within a week. That's when I figured all was lost.

NHL1674 03-25-2012 06:43 PM

For me, it was before the season started. I considered the playoffs to be nothing but a bonus. Yes, there was that amazing run early on. But there was way too much hockey still to be played at that point. It doesn't take much for the #@$! to hit the fan.

Dampland 03-25-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHL1674 (Post 46714433)
For me, it was before the season started. I considered the playoffs to be nothing but a bonus. Yes, there was that amazing run early on. But there was way too much hockey still to be played at that point. It doesn't take much for the #@$! to hit the fan.

Yep ..... I was sure the Wild were not destined for the playoffs this year, even before the season started. Rebuilding takes time, and Fletch has done a good job of building up some prospects, now we just need to be patient for a couple more years while those guys mature. 2014-15, the Wild should be a exciting team to watch!

Fel 96 03-25-2012 06:49 PM

Both Gui and Pierre-Marc injuries killed all my hopes.

Shocking I know.

Minnesota 03-25-2012 06:50 PM

'Bout time.

This team hasn't looked competent since Bouchard got injured.

Avder 03-25-2012 06:53 PM

I'm honestly surprised it took this long to get eliminated.

BigT2002 03-25-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHL1674 (Post 46714433)

Ding. I tried to keep my expectations low when they were kicking ass. This team is still too soft, too few of goal scorers who can consistently score, and defense that are still babies in comparison with where they need to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel 96 (Post 46714773)
Both Gui and Pierre-Marc injuries killed all my hopes.

Shocking I know.

Koivu's injury just before the ASG is what really made me go "we're screwed"

vitogor 03-26-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 46714005)
So, with the Caps beating us in regulation today, the Wild are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It was purely academic at this point.

But I am wondering, when did everyone realize that the playoffs were only a fantasy for this year?

For me it was two specific events. First was the massive third period collapse against Nashville that lead to a 5-4 regulation loss that just left us all stunned. And then a few weeks later when the Blue Jackets beat us twice in one week I knew our goose was cooked...there was no way we were getting back on track with enough left in the tank to make it in.

So let's celebrate the official end to whatever waning hopes some of us may have had and let's get it all out there so hopefully we can forget all about it next year.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...02/144/fry.jpg

Avder 03-26-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitogor (Post 46735471)

D'oh! :facepalm:

bozak911 03-26-2012 01:48 PM

For me, it was a bit earlier than almost everyone else.

I knew that the season had jumped the shark when the Oilers beat us in our own building. That game showed just how much we missed PMB/Lats and also how our D was worse than even the lowly Oilers.

Minnesota 03-26-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 46748969)

I knew that the season had jumped the shark when the Oilers beat us in our own building. That game showed just how much we missed PMB/Lats and also how our D was worse than even the lowly Oilers.

That was a sad game. Pretty sure Oiler fan egos doubled that night. :(

Victorious Secret 03-26-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 46749505)
That was a sad game. Pretty sure Oiler fan egos doubled that night. :(

No. They didn't watch because the Wild-Oiler games are so boring. :shakehead

Engebretson 03-26-2012 02:07 PM

I was at the Blue Jackets game last month which was the second time in the week we lost to them. Walking out of that game before the buzzer went of was my "playoff hopes are gone" moment.

FiveAndGame 03-26-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engebretson (Post 46749853)
I was at the Blue Jackets game last month which was the second time in the week we lost to them. Walking out of that game before the buzzer went of was my "playoff hopes are gone" moment.

Discovered!

Avder 03-26-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 46748969)

Was that the Eddy Xmas disaster one? Yeah, the anger fallout from my megarant explosion after watching that game is still drifting slowly to earth.

For me that game was the point where I switched from thinking "We'll be fine as soon as Koivu gets back, this is just another no-Koivu losing streak" to "Were in real ****ing trouble here".

W75 03-26-2012 03:13 PM

WAT, no playoffs this year? Noooooo!

Seriously, knew it when I bought a Viasat TV package at the start of the season. To see more Wild games than ever before!

Long story, it was season 2006-2007, when almost every game I saw - we lost. Things went so far that I refused to watch the last playoff games to help them win. Well, it didn't help in the end, but at least I tried..

Nowadays.. if I watch the game, Wild lose. If don't Wild lose. I'm baffled, there's no consistency! Don't know what to do anymore?!

Almost thought that Wild could make it this year, when leading the frikkin NHL! ..at least 8th spot or something. But pretty quickly I realized this is not gonna end very well..

But it can't be all my fault :cry:

WILDTATE10 03-26-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wantaa FI75 (Post 46752801)
WAT, no playoffs this year? Noooooo!

Seriously, knew it when I bought a Viasat TV package at the start of the season. To see more Wild games than ever before!

Long story, it was season 2006-2007, when almost every game I saw - we lost. Things went so far that I refused to watch the last playoff games to help them win. Well, it didn't help in the end, but at least I tried..

Nowadays.. if I watch the game, Wild lose. If don't Wild lose. I'm baffled, there's no consistency! Don't know what to do anymore?!

Almost thought that Wild could make it this year, when leading the frikkin NHL! ..at least 8th spot or something. But pretty quickly I realized this is not gonna end very well..

But it can't be all my fault :cry:

Watch every game from here on out. We need the 2 or 3 best odds at Yakupov

Avder 03-26-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 (Post 46753931)
Watch every game from here on out. We need the 2 or 3 best odds at Yakupov

This. We need all the draft help we can get.

W75 03-26-2012 03:43 PM

But it doesn't matter anymore. I've lost the control..

Avder 03-26-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wantaa FI75 (Post 46754277)
But it doesn't matter anymore. I've lost the control..

Glue yourself to your screen! Take one for the team man. We need you.

W75 03-26-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 46754381)
Glue yourself to your screen! Take one for the team man. We need you.

Well, it's only ten games left, one for all..

And next year I'm lookin for opponents' streams only! Heck there's a lot of jerseys I've got to buy. Bye bye family's holiday plans and children's xmas gifts :sarcasm:

bozak911 03-26-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 46752683)
Was that the Eddy Xmas disaster one? Yeah, the anger fallout from my megarant explosion after watching that game is still drifting slowly to earth.

For me that game was the point where I switched from thinking "We'll be fine as soon as Koivu gets back, this is just another no-Koivu losing streak" to "Were in real ****ing trouble here".

Yep. That's when Heatley was the only top-6 forward and got double teamed the entire night. Easy to shut down? Hellz yeah... Held off the board entirely. No depth. Injuries killed us.

Billy Mays Here 03-26-2012 03:58 PM

That would be so awesome if we could trade for another 1st rd pick in the top seven or so at the draft. Not sure who we'd trade but I suppose it would have to be a guy like Clutter.

I'd say the season de-railed the second Lats got his concussion.