HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospect Info: NCAA UFAs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1145311)

Rick Deckard 03-26-2012 03:44 AM

NCAA UFAs

Flyers show interest in Dan DeKeyser and JT Brown.

Frank Seravalli, Daily News:

Quote:

"It's not unfathomable to think Danny DeKeyser could get an offer from every team," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said recently. "He could be the complete package."
Quote:

But with the University of Minnesota-Duluth's loss in the Northeast Regional final on Sunday night, an equally intriguing race suddenly opened for another coveted sophomore in forward J.T. Brown. And the Flyers appear to be a finalist to land him.

Brown wrapped up his sophomore season tied for 11th in the nation in scoring after helping the Bulldogs to a national title last year as a freshman. He attended the Flyers' prospect camp last summer on his own dime.

Holmgren said he thought Brown might be staying in school, but a source close to Brown told the Daily News that there is a "better chance he is out than in [school] next year" and that the Flyers are on the short list.

BillDineen 03-26-2012 04:05 AM

If Justin Schultz chooses to become a free agent, getting both DeKeyser and he would be a major coup.

Flyers have a quality franchise, they give young players opportunities as witnessed by all the rookies this year and they have 3 ufa dman. The selling points are there for any prospect that wants an immediate shot at playing for a contending team.

CS 03-26-2012 04:09 AM

More small, skilled wingers. Bah. :sarcasm:

Really though. We're beyond spoiled. We don't need him, but with Holmgren trading 2nds to any ice cream man that rolls down his street, JT Brown would definitely not hurt things.

I welcome more prospects. It's been working out great for us so far after all.

Still, we need to watch our contract limits or else dump some contracts that have run their course before they've actually run their course.

Where Schultz and DeKeyser are concerned, defense is exactly what we need, but we need to be sure we're not wasting contracts on guys we already have duplicates of unless you're committing to this direction. We're going to be dangerously close to our 50 again.

Damaged Goods 03-26-2012 04:47 AM

If we can get em, go for it! My concern is with the Flyers being able to generate interest, since they don't offer the surest chance to earn a roster spot unless the player knows he's really good.

It seems like DeKeyser's dream is to join the Wings. And if he grew up idolizing Steve Yzerman, the Lightning might be his second choice.

Who are the other top-rated college UFAs and how do they rank?

Rick Deckard 03-26-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods (Post 46734951)
Who are the other top-rated college UFAs and how do they rank?

HF list of top UFAs:

Spencer Abbott, LW, Maine (signed with Toronto)
JT Brown, RW, Minnesota Duluth (signed with Tampa Bay)
Jack Connolly, C, Minnesota Duluth
Dan DeKeyser, D, Western Michigan (returns to school)
Brian Flynn, C, Maine (signed with Buffalo)
Torey Krug, D, Michigan State (signed with Boston)
Jack MacLellan, C, Brown (signed with Nashville)
Chris Rawlings, G, Northeastern
Jeremy Welch, FW, Union (unavailable, qualified for Frozen Four)
Mark Zengerle, C, Wisconsin
Eriah Hayes, RW, Minnesota Mankato
Cal Heeter, G, Ohio State (signed with Philadelphia)
Travis Oleksuk, FW, Minnesota Duluth (signed with San Jose)
Kelly Zajac, C, Union (unavailable, qualified for Frozen Four)
Scott Zurevinski, C, Quinnipiac (signed AHL tryout with St.John's, Jets affiliate)

Spongolium* 03-26-2012 06:31 AM

The only free agent I want on the team is Schultz. That would be a massive, massive signing for this team.

Hockeypete49 03-26-2012 08:31 AM

JT plays like a power forward. I would sign him in a second! Also any help we get on the backend would be a plus.

Hockeypete49 03-26-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Deckard (Post 46735047)
HF list of top UFAs:

Spencer Abbott, LW, Maine
JT Brown, RW, Minnesota DuluthJack Connolly, C, Minnesota Duluth
Dan DeKeyser, D, Western Michigan
Brian Flynn, C, Maine
Travis Oleksuk, FW, Minnesota Duluth
Scott Zurevinski, C, Quinnipiac (signed AHL tryout with St.John's, Jets affiliate)

I would target these three. DeKeyser coming here would be sweet. But I do not see it. Detroit is hard on him to. Do your majic Homer

Amateur Hour 03-26-2012 09:22 AM

DeKeyser will be signing with Detroit. He's from Macomb, Michigan, and pretty much grew up in the organization.

I've been hoping for J.T. Brown since the first time I saw him play back in early January, when he scored a hat trick against Nebraska-Omaha. He's going to be a good NHL player, I'm confident of that. Superb skater with top level speed, an NHL-caliber snipe of a shot, and soft hands -- plus he's gritty, fights for pucks in the corners, and is really good down low around the net. There's not a doubt in my mind Brown would be a fan favorite here immediately.

Interesting fact: His father, Ted, played in the NFL for eight years as a running back for the Vikings.

Another NCAA player to remember is Michael Young, a defenseman for Nebraska-Omaha (who plays on the top pairing with the 6'8" Andrej Sustr). I've written about him in the prospects thread. The former Flin Flon Bomber (Bobby Clarke's junior team) attended Flyers rookie camp this past summer, so he's been on the team's radar for some time already.

I'm also really enamored with Union's Jeremy Welsh. I think he's got a future as a legit NHL power forward. Very impressive player.

Broad Street Elite 03-26-2012 09:35 AM

Regardless of the talent we have at forward right now, you can NEVER have too much talent nor secondary scoring. If signing a couple of these kids allows us the roster/cap flexibility to trade for other top end players, then I'm all for it.

Say what you will, but our scouting department has a pretty tremendous recent track record with college UFAs.

BillDineen 03-26-2012 09:44 AM

The other part of the article quotes McManus bashing the Flyers for their management of the Phantoms. However, not all AHL stars are AHL only contracts like Hamel. I do not want the Flyers wasting their 50 contracts on players likely only to contribute to the Phantoms.

Jancevski, Bacashihua and Ford are only AHL players that are way down the depth chart to actually play for the Flyers.

Save the contract space for these college/junior/euro UFAs that are actual prospects please.

FlyersFan61290 03-26-2012 09:47 AM

I would love for homer to sign some guys who can jump in and help right away on cheap contracts (like read) i mean who wouldn't but I don't think it's that likely to happen. My concern is the Flyers don't have many spots open on the Flyers. These guys won't want to sign just to play in the AHL for a year or wait in the wings in case of an injury when they coul sign elsewhere and play immediately. Though Homer has had some success with UFAs like read, gus, manning and akeson.

Psuhockey 03-26-2012 09:56 AM

The Flyers will probably remake the defense this summer due to cap constraints. To get higher level guys on small salaries than the prospects they have, there will most likely be a trade of a forward or two. Signing Brown, Flynn, or Welch could offset the lose.

sa cyred 03-26-2012 10:13 AM

Well..interesting read on J.T. Brown from 6 days ago...

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...own-burnsville

Quote:

J.T. Brown, the son of former Minnesota Vikings running back Ted Brown and Minnesota-Duluth's most valuable player in last year's NCAA Frozen Four hockey tournament, pleaded guilty Monday, March 19, to two misdemeanor crimes as the result of a summer run-in with police.
He also tried fleeing from the police.

BillDineen 03-26-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 46738271)

Doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer.

chimrichalds18 03-26-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 46738381)

Yet it does sound like someone the Flyers would be interested in. Holmgren has a soft spot for reclamation projects.

sa cyred 03-26-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 (Post 46738931)
Yet it does sound like someone the Flyers would be interested in. Holmgren has a soft spot for reclamation projects.

Him and Harry Z. Partners in crime? :sarcasm:

Larry44 03-26-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Shows good instincts then? :)

Kaktus* 03-26-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Deckard (Post 46735047)
HF list of top UFAs:

Spencer Abbott, LW, Maine
JT Brown, RW, Minnesota Duluth
Jack Connolly, C, Minnesota Duluth
Dan DeKeyser, D, Western Michigan
Brian Flynn, C, Maine
Travis Oleksuk, FW, Minnesota Duluth

I'd target 4 in bold.

What about Andrej Sustr? I've seen him a few times and generally was impressed with his overall skill..

Larry44 03-26-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 46734759)
More small, skilled wingers. Bah. :sarcasm:

Really though. We're beyond spoiled. We don't need him, but with Holmgren trading 2nds to any ice cream man that rolls down his street, JT Brown would definitely not hurt things.

I welcome more prospects. It's been working out great for us so far after all.

Still, we need to watch our contract limits or else dump some contracts that have run their course before they've actually run their course.

Agree on need for big wingers, not small ones, if possible. That's the only drawback of going after JT Brown - is he Matt Read 2.0?

And if we don't have room in the NHL lineup for any new bodies, let alone small wingers, why would he sign with the Flyers anyway?

I don't have a problem trading 2nds if they get you players you need and who help.

Grossmann is even better than I thought, and I liked him in Dallas. Kubina is also proving worth the cost. Without those two guys we'd be sunk with Pronger and now Meszaros out of the lineup.

sa cyred 03-26-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 46740961)
Agree on need for big wingers, not small ones, if possible. That's the only drawback of going after JT Brown - is he Matt Read 2.0?

And if we don't have room in the NHL lineup for any new bodies, let alone small wingers, why would he sign with the Flyers anyway?

I don't have a problem trading 2nds if they get you players you need and who help.

Grossmann is even better than I thought, and I liked him in Dallas. Kubina is also proving worth the cost. Without those two guys we'd be sunk with Pronger and now Meszaros out of the lineup.

Big or small, if Homer things they will contribute in the long run, Im fine with whoever. I would definitely go for DeKeyser but he is almost like a sure thing Red Wing.

Hockeypete49 03-26-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Hell I ran from the police to when I was young:). I batted about .950:sarcasm: That don't make you a bad guy.

Hockeypete49 03-26-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur Hour (Post 46737197)
DeKeyser will be signing with Detroit. He's from Macomb, Michigan, and pretty much grew up in the organization.

I've been hoping for J.T. Brown since the first time I saw him play back in early January, when he scored a hat trick against Nebraska-Omaha. He's going to be a good NHL player, I'm confident of that. Superb skater with top level speed, an NHL-caliber snipe of a shot, and soft hands -- plus he's gritty, fights for pucks in the corners, and is really good down low around the net. There's not a doubt in my mind Brown would be a fan favorite here immediately.

Interesting fact: His father, Ted, played in the NFL for eight years as a running back for the Vikings.

Another NCAA player to remember is Michael Young, a defenseman for Nebraska-Omaha (who plays on the top pairing with the 6'8" Andrej Sustr). I've written about him in the prospects thread. The former Flin Flon Bomber (Bobby Clarke's junior team) attended Flyers rookie camp this past summer, so he's been on the team's radar for some time already.

I'm also really enamored with Union's Jeremy Welsh. I think he's got a future as a legit NHL power forward. Very impressive player.

Welsh did stand out. He was using the body well.

Amateur Hour 03-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 46738381)

In terms of things he could get arrested for, this is pretty far down on the list of what would concern me. The kid made a dumb, regrettable mistake that, oh, so many other college kids do before turning 21. I was guilty of it more times than I can count, I was just lucky enough not to get caught. Brown happened to have the misfortune of running into a police officer checking IDs instead of a regular bouncer and panicked when he got caught. Tell me, when you read that article, does it sound like he's a bad guy? Not to me. Besides, he turned 21 a few weeks later, so this kind of incident will never be an issue again. I'd wager he learned a lesson from it and was scared straight, too.

BillDineen 03-26-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur Hour (Post 46742715)
In terms of things he could get arrested for, this is pretty far down on the list of what would concern me. The kid made a dumb, regrettable mistake that, oh, so many other college kids do before turning 21. I was guilty of it more times than I can count, I was just lucky enough not to get caught. Brown happened to have the misfortune of running into a police officer checking IDs instead of a regular bouncer and panicked when he got caught. Tell me, when you read that article, does it sound like he's a bad guy? Not to me. Besides, he turned 21 a few weeks later, so this kind of incident will never be an issue again. I'd wager he learned a lesson from it and was scared straight, too.

I was referring to try and run from the cops when they already had him. I could care less about the ID thing.