HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Defensemen in 2005? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=114545)

markov` 11-20-2004 11:45 AM

Defensemen in 2005?
 
The 2005 draft has really been hyped and so far, I am impressed by the depth up front, the centers are just amazing especially. However, except Jack Johnson, there is no defenseman standing out. I once saw Anikeenko and Kindl on the top tens but right now, both are out or the first round or in the 20-30s overall. So my question is: will there be any "good" defenseman out of the 2005 draft except Johnson? Same question could be asked about the goalies.

X-SHARKIE 11-20-2004 12:02 PM

There are alot of good defenseman who are 2005 eligible IMO.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Jakub Kindl (Still top 10 ish)
3. Luc Bourdon
4. J.P. Paquet (one of the most skilled defenseman in the draft)
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

IMO right there are seven defenseman who are 1st round worthy at the moment.

8. Vitaly Anikeenko
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I love Andrew Andricopoulos from the Quebec Remparts, I have him going early/mid 2nd round. Just amazing hockey sense with great hands and vision. A very safe pick with big upside.

The USHL every year seems to have a defenseman who sticks out above the rest, 2003 had Matt Carle, last year there was Klubertanz, and this year it's Brett Motherwell. I went to a Gamblers game to check out Brock Bradford and this is the guy that I came away really impressed with. He's extremely smart, very competive, Like I said just one of the smartest defenseman prospects i've seen at this age. He'll be a good one.

Also a guy from Moncton Wildcats I like alot is Oscars Bartulis. I just never see this guy out of position down low, Plus he has a great transition game and shows very good vision and shot to run a PP.

Northeastern has one I like alot, who I had in my top 60 last year before he opted out, Steve Birnstill.

Goaltending.

1. Tuukka Rask...Likely the next big goaltending prospect from Finland...Never seen him but he had a very good U-20 tournament I understand and well back stop the fins at the WJC's. Probally top 10 pick.
2. Alexandre Vincent... One of my favorites in the whole draft, He'll likely go around 12th-16th in 05. Huge goaltender who dominates. Huge upside.
3. Carey Price
4. J.P. Levasseur ....His numbers are beginning to come up after disapointing start.
5. Ryan Mior... Loved him last year and I saw him once this year steal a game vs Moncton, I dont know why he hasn't excelled this year, mabey it's because Boutin is there?



In my keeper league I have wholes on my back end and goaltending...I plan on filling both wholes with this draft at some point.

markov` 11-20-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
There are alot of good defenseman who are 2005 eligible IMO.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Jakub Kindl (Still top 10 ish)
3. Luc Bourdon
4. J.P. Paquet (one of the most skilled defenseman in the draft)
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

IMO right there are seven defenseman who are 1st round worthy at the moment.

8. Vitaly Anikeenko
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I love Andrew Andricopoulos from the Quebec Remparts, I have him going early/mid 2nd round. Just amazing hockey sense with great hands and vision. A very safe pick with big upside.

The USHL every year seems to have a defenseman who sticks out above the rest, 2003 had Matt Carle, last year there was Klubertanz, and this year it's Brett Motherwell. I went to a Gamblers game to check out Brock Bradford and this is the guy that I came away really impressed with. He's extremely smart, very competive, Like I said just one of the smartest defenseman prospects i've seen at this age. He'll be a good one.

Also a guy from Moncton Wildcats I like alot is Oscars Bartulis. I just never see this guy out of position down low, Plus he has a great transition game and shows very good vision and shot to run a PP.

Northeastern has one I like alot, who I had in my top 60 last year before he opted out, Steve Birnstill.

Goaltending.

1. Tuukka Rask...Likely the next big goaltending prospect from Finland...Never seen him but he had a very good U-20 tournament I understand and well back stop the fins at the WJC's. Probally top 10 pick.
2. Alexandre Vincent... One of my favorites in the whole draft, He'll likely go around 12th-16th in 05. Huge goaltender who dominates. Huge upside.
3. Carey Price
4. J.P. Levasseur ....His numbers are beginning to come up after disapointing start.
5. Ryan Mior... Loved him last year and I saw him once this year steal a game vs Moncton, I dont know why he hasn't excelled this year, mabey it's because Boutin is there?



In my keeper league I have wholes on my back end and goaltending...I plan on filling both wholes with this draft at some point.

Kindl numbers are pathetic so far, as you know. I saw one game from Bourdon and I wasn't impressed at all, and he's 3rd on the list... :dunno: Maybe I am wrong but if Bourdon is the 3rd best defenseman, from what I have seen of him I doubt he will ever make it to the NHL. Maybe it was just a bad game.

I've seen Vincent 4 times this year live, yes he's got a big potential but he is kinda overrated now. When he's on fire, you think he could become a franchise goaltender in the NHL but some nights he just isn't there. If he can't work on his consistency, I doubt he will ever have a chance in the NHL, because when he's cold, he's reaallly cold.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

X-SHARKIE 11-20-2004 12:37 PM

Bourdon doesn't do anything flashy often times but he's a very steady defenseman. I dont know how his numbers are but he's defensively the best defenseman in the Q possibly.

An Ape called Yoko 11-20-2004 02:31 PM

Please add Niklas Hjalmarsson who stood out in both U18 World Cup and recently in Ann Arbour.

Rabid Ranger 11-20-2004 03:22 PM

Matt Lashoff is another guy I would keep my eye on.

CharlieGirl 11-20-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
Kindl numbers are pathetic so far, as you know.

Sharkie - you'll be happy to hear that Kindl's numbers are starting to come around - he had 3 points last night and another one today.

X-SHARKIE 11-20-2004 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Sharkie - you'll be happy to hear that Kindl's numbers are starting to come around - he had 3 points last night and another one today.

Great news! i'm really pulling for him, Such a talented player.

markov` 11-20-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Sharkie - you'll be happy to hear that Kindl's numbers are starting to come around - he had 3 points last night and another one today.

Didn't know that. Last time I checked he had like 1 assist in 13 games. Awful.

Aaron Vickers 11-20-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I'd love to hear your take on Kohn.

X-SHARKIE 11-20-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
I'd love to hear your take on Kohn.

I've just heard about him...never seen him...Sorry.

FearTheFlyers 11-20-2004 09:27 PM

Deveraux Heshmatpour of the Rangers is huge, and has skills, just need to get his head in the game.

borro 11-20-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
There are alot of good defenseman who are 2005 eligible IMO.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Jakub Kindl (Still top 10 ish)
3. Luc Bourdon
4. J.P. Paquet (one of the most skilled defenseman in the draft)
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

IMO right there are seven defenseman who are 1st round worthy at the moment.

8. Vitaly Anikeenko
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I love Andrew Andricopoulos from the Quebec Remparts, I have him going early/mid 2nd round. Just amazing hockey sense with great hands and vision. A very safe pick with big upside.

The USHL every year seems to have a defenseman who sticks out above the rest, 2003 had Matt Carle, last year there was Klubertanz, and this year it's Brett Motherwell. I went to a Gamblers game to check out Brock Bradford and this is the guy that I came away really impressed with. He's extremely smart, very competive, Like I said just one of the smartest defenseman prospects i've seen at this age. He'll be a good one.

Also a guy from Moncton Wildcats I like alot is Oscars Bartulis. I just never see this guy out of position down low, Plus he has a great transition game and shows very good vision and shot to run a PP.

Northeastern has one I like alot, who I had in my top 60 last year before he opted out, Steve Birnstill.

Goaltending.

1. Tuukka Rask...Likely the next big goaltending prospect from Finland...Never seen him but he had a very good U-20 tournament I understand and well back stop the fins at the WJC's. Probally top 10 pick.
2. Alexandre Vincent... One of my favorites in the whole draft, He'll likely go around 12th-16th in 05. Huge goaltender who dominates. Huge upside.
3. Carey Price
4. J.P. Levasseur ....His numbers are beginning to come up after disapointing start.
5. Ryan Mior... Loved him last year and I saw him once this year steal a game vs Moncton, I dont know why he hasn't excelled this year, mabey it's because Boutin is there?

In my keeper league I have wholes on my back end and goaltending...I plan on filling both wholes with this draft at some point.


Great post. Thanks alot! My impression was Kindl had fallen to about the early 20's. He can recapture space but I would think is unlikely to be a Top10 guy. A few more names that I have heard alot:

Bobby Ryan. Most have him Top10. Did you just forget him or do you not like him? He may be a forward but I thought I saw him listed as dman

I think Heshmatpour will be hard to pass. Also Mike Gauthier. Also, Russian Prospects has Anton Belov rated higher than Anikienko but he never gets mention. He is 6'3 and close to Anikienko's weight.

Cayouche5 11-20-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Deveraux Heshmatpour of the Rangers is huge, and has skills, just need to get his head in the game.

He's now with Oshawa if i'm not mistaken

X-SHARKIE 11-21-2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro
Great post. Thanks alot! My impression was Kindl had fallen to about the early 20's. He can recapture space but I would think is unlikely to be a Top10 guy. A few more names that I have heard alot:

Bobby Ryan. Most have him Top10. Did you just forget him or do you not like him? He may be a forward but I thought I saw him listed as dman

I think Heshmatpour will be hard to pass. Also Mike Gauthier. Also, Russian Prospects has Anton Belov rated higher than Anikienko but he never gets mention. He is 6'3 and close to Anikienko's weight.


He was just asking about defenseman and goaltenders...In fact I love Bobby Ryan, I have him #4 on my rankings right now. He is a great great talent who is just controlling games at age 17.

FearTheFlyers 11-21-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayouche5
He's now with Oshawa if i'm not mistaken

No you're not mistaken, I knew that, just habyt.

borro 11-21-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
He was just asking about defenseman and goaltenders...In fact I love Bobby Ryan, I have him #4 on my rankings right now. He is a great great talent who is just controlling games at age 17.

I take it from this that Ryan has not or is not playing any defense. Maybe you did this already but can you rank the top say twelve dmen and give me a wild guess of their likely draft position (assuming a normal 2005 draft.) I'm not sure if your list was prioritized or not. Where do Belov and Anikienko fit in? I would say something like this:

1. Jack Johnson Top3
2. Mark Staal Top8-12
3. Vitaly Anikienko Top15 (This years Valabik)
4. Luc Bourdon Top20
5. J.P. Paquet Top25
6. Deverereax Heshmatpour Top25
7. Teemu Laakso Top 30
8. Ryan Parent 25-35
9. Dustin Kohn 30-40
10. Anton Belov 30-40
11. Andrew Andricopoulous 35-45
12. Brendan Mikkelson 45-55

Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.

Postman 11-21-2004 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro
Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.

I'd say Matt Lashoff has a chance at going top 20.

McKeen's currently has him going top 20, anyway.

X-SHARKIE 11-21-2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro
I take it from this that Ryan has not or is not playing any defense. Maybe you did this already but can you rank the top say twelve dmen and give me a wild guess of their likely draft position (assuming a normal 2005 draft.) I'm not sure if your list was prioritized or not. Where do Belov and Anikienko fit in? I would say something like this:

1. Jack Johnson Top3
2. Mark Staal Top8-12
3. Vitaly Anikienko Top15 (This years Valabik)
4. Luc Bourdon Top20
5. J.P. Paquet Top25
6. Deverereax Heshmatpour Top25
7. Teemu Laakso Top 30
8. Ryan Parent 25-35
9. Dustin Kohn 30-40
10. Anton Belov 30-40
11. Andrew Andricopoulous 35-45
12. Brendan Mikkelson 45-55

Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.

I listed my first 7 defenseman who I think well all be selected in the 1st round. I had Lashoff going near top 10 from seeing him last year but I haven't seen him or checked up on him yet this year.

Anikeenko I was told looked alot like Rob Blake at a U-17 tournament but hasn't done anything special since :( I would be surprised if Staal makes it that high, because he's not really flashy, but he's one of the steadiest defenseman in the draft, same with Bourdon...I think Staal could go around 15 though. I personally think Heshmatpour won't be selected untill the late 2nd round at the earliest...I think he's a third round talent that could fall because of his uggggly skating.
Other then that, your just missing Kindl who I would say is one of the most pure skilled players in the draft. If you ignored his stats he would be top 3.

Overall I think this draft is loaded with defenseman who have considerable upside. I haven't seen the Fins or Russians. There is a small feisty one I hear in Risto Korhonen from Finland. Sounds like an interesting player.
Jakub Vojta is a guy who had alot of hype before the season but he's not getting any talk anymore.

Good list though overall IMO.

MS 11-21-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
There is a small feisty one I hear in Risto Korhonen from Finland. Sounds like an interesting player.

Korhonen was listed at 6'3" 201 last spring at the U18s.

Aaron Vickers 11-21-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS
Korhonen was listed at 6'3" 201 last spring at the U18s.

Bah!

Compared to Schultz, Valabik and Rogers, three first round defensemen from last year, that's tiny!

acadienboy 11-21-2004 06:15 PM

numbers for Luc Bourdon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
Kindl numbers are pathetic so far, as you know. I saw one game from Bourdon and I wasn't impressed at all, and he's 3rd on the list... :dunno: Maybe I am wrong but if Bourdon is the 3rd best defenseman, from what I have seen of him I doubt he will ever make it to the NHL. Maybe it was just a bad game.

I've seen Vincent 4 times this year live, yes he's got a big potential but he is kinda overrated now. When he's on fire, you think he could become a franchise goaltender in the NHL but some nights he just isn't there. If he can't work on his consistency, I doubt he will ever have a chance in the NHL, because when he's cold, he's reaallly cold.

Thanks for the help, anyway.




GP G A Pts PiM +/- PPG SHG WG TG SH% SH FO WF% GH
26 5 5 10 38 -15 4 0 0 0 13.9 36 0 0.0 77

markov` 11-21-2004 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acadienboy
GP G A Pts PiM +/- PPG SHG WG TG SH% SH FO WF% GH
26 5 5 10 38 -15 4 0 0 0 13.9 36 0 0.0 77

Nice to see he's been putting up some impressive numbers...

borro 11-21-2004 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
Nice to see he's been putting up some impressive numbers...

I hope you are joking. -15 is impressive?

acadienboy 11-22-2004 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borro
I hope you are joking. -15 is impressive?

Playing on the pk for a team that fights to get out of the botom of the league is not that bad i think


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.