HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Our D's potential next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1145899)

SnowblindNYR 03-26-2012 07:06 PM

Our D's potential next year?
 
Assuming everyone's healthy and playing up to their potential (including Staal and Sauer) can we challenge what the Blues did this year defensively? They're currently allowing 1.83 goals per game. I mean I think as of the end of Feburary we were second by a little giving up 1.95 or 1.97. So can we be easily the best D in the league next year? I mean think about it, we're looking at Erixon as being the 6th D-man and Sauer the 5th? I can't think of a team that's deeper defensively. In theory if everyone is healthy we won't burn out McD and Girardi and we won't burn out in March.

Machinehead 03-26-2012 08:17 PM

I think alot of it actually depends on adding offense. Taking a little pressure off the D would help alot. I'm not saying our offense is bad. In fact I really think it's coming around this past month and could be one top 6 player away from being elite, provided we can do something with the PP in the offseason.

Having enough offense for our D to be able to take a night off would help alot. Every single night we need a full 60 out of them. If every once in awhile we could just drop 7 or 8 goals on a crappy team we won't have to worry about burnouts.

ltsthinaz 03-26-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR (Post 46763227)
Assuming everyone's healthy and playing up to their potential (including Staal and Sauer) can we challenge what the Blues did this year defensively? They're currently allowing 1.83 goals per game. I mean I think as of the end of Feburary we were second by a little giving up 1.95 or 1.97. So can we be easily the best D in the league next year? I mean think about it, we're looking at Erixon as being the 6th D-man and Sauer the 5th? I can't think of a team that's deeper defensively. In theory if everyone is healthy we won't burn out McD and Girardi and we won't burn out in March.

So much of this would depend not only on the defense (assuming Girardi-McD-MDZ-Staal-Erixon-Sauer) but on the style we play and the defense-mindedness of the forwards. Also, if we score just a tad more, maybe only have the, say, 23rd-ranked power play, and maybe a goal-scorer or two more.

Incidentally, I watched BC play last night to see Kreider, he actually gets back on defense!!! Maybe he can play for Tortarella.

Machinehead 03-26-2012 08:21 PM

And no I don't think Staal is as good as Girardi or McDonagh, but he's a very solid top 4 healthy and Sauer on the 3rd pair gives us ridiculous depth. Add some more offense like I said, more puck control, and I think we could surpass what the Blues have done.

SnowblindNYR 03-26-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 46768129)
And no I don't think Staal is as good as Girardi or McDonagh, but he's a very solid top 4 healthy and Sauer on the 3rd pair gives us ridiculous depth. Add some more offense like I said, more puck control, and I think we could surpass what the Blues have done.

So I assume your post in the Blues vs. Rangers defense thread in the poll section was about the defense THIS YEAR, since you were hard on Staal and have been hard on him for as long as I can remember this season.

BlueshirtBlitz 03-26-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 46768129)
And no I don't think Staal is as good as Girardi or McDonagh, but he's a very solid top 4 healthy and Sauer on the 3rd pair gives us ridiculous depth. Add some more offense like I said, more puck control, and I think we could surpass what the Blues have done.

I think he's better than Girardi, by a lot honestly.

Give him an entire training camp. Maybe next year Girardi and McD won't forget how to play defense half-way through the season, either.

SnowblindNYR 03-26-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 46768797)
I think he's better than Girardi, by a lot honestly.

Give him an entire training camp. Maybe next year Girardi and McD won't forget how to play defense half-way through the season, either.

We were allowing fewer than 2 goals per game as late as February, a large part of it was Hank, but not any larger in February than in November.

Srs Business 03-26-2012 09:09 PM

it pains me to see how we regard Staal post concussion. Was hoping he would be a top shut down guy with some offense slowly starting to pick up. I hope the off season does him well and he comes back next season how he looked last year.

eco's bones 03-27-2012 02:14 AM

It doesn't matter who is in the net with St. Louis--Elliott or Halak. Biron for the most part has played well for us but he's not on that level. I don't think as well that the division St. Louis plays in is quite the same as ours--with as many high flying offenses--Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Philadelphia or Boston and though St. Louis is a very physical team the east is more physical than the west. All that makes a difference IMO.

mrhockey193195 03-27-2012 02:59 AM

I'm just salivating over the possibility of having a d-lineup of:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-MDZ
Erixon-Sauer

If all those guys stay healthy and continue developing as expected, that could end up being one of the best defensive corps in the league.

Cynical TyranT 03-27-2012 03:11 AM

How long away is McI?

darko 03-27-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 46768129)
And no I don't think Staal is as good as Girardi or McDonagh, but he's a very solid top 4 healthy and Sauer on the 3rd pair gives us ridiculous depth. Add some more offense like I said, more puck control, and I think we could surpass what the Blues have done.


Lol please. He's missed quite a lot of time this year and been playing catch up since. Legit top pairing D-man. People forget what he's done for us in the past. It's embarrasing.

Callahan Auto 03-27-2012 06:32 AM

Staal was pretty much unanimously believed to be better than Girardi for the last few years. I don't imagine it's easy to jump into the NHL like he did midway through the season, especially after being off the ice for so long. I imagine he'll return to form by next season (if not by the playoffs, I hope). Even if we decide that there's something about the McD-Girardi pairing that works and want to keep that as our 1st pair, Staal is a #1 D-Man when healthy.

Barnaby 03-27-2012 07:34 AM

You have to give Staal the beneit o the doubt. You have to keep in mind that he wasn't on the ice or working out like he may have done during a regular summer. He was probably sitting around trying to recover. Next season he'll show why he is still a top pairing d-man...

district9 03-27-2012 08:08 AM

the anti-staal comments on this board are so insane. people forget that we're talking about a guy who we all thought was snubbed for the norris last year. he was probably the best purely defensive d-man last in the league last year. a bad concussion like that isn't an injury you come back from and instantly have it all back, there's hesitation to take the big hits, there's a little cloudiness in the brain as much as nobody wants to admit it. when he has an offseason to relax and a training camp to get it all back, i really think he'll be better, although i'm not sure he'll ever be where he was.

True Blue 03-27-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR (Post 46763227)
I mean think about it, we're looking at Erixon as being the 6th D-man and Sauer the 5th?

I think you are jumping the gun on Erixon. He is not ready and gets overwhelmed at time. He cannot handle the opposition physically. Further, he just needs more seasoning. I would be perfectly comfortable with Bickel as the 6th and for Erixon to start the year in Hartford.

Riche16 03-27-2012 08:31 AM

Sauer may not be back next yr. Doesn't seem like there's even a chance at this point.

Miller Time NYR 03-27-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riche16 (Post 46795087)
Sauer may not be back next yr. Doesn't seem like there's even a chance at this point.

Next year? Says what? There's no say either way that he will or will not be healthy for next season I think that's a conclusion nobody wants to jump too.

True Blue 03-27-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riche16 (Post 46795087)
Sauer may not be back next yr. Doesn't seem like there's even a chance at this point.

Let's not be melodramatic about this. Yes, it is a concussion, but there has been NO evidence that points to him not returning. I would think that is a bit far flung.

we want cup 03-27-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petejudge (Post 46794527)
the anti-staal comments on this board are so insane. people forget that we're talking about a guy who we all thought was snubbed for the norris last year. he was probably the best purely defensive d-man last in the league last year. a bad concussion like that isn't an injury you come back from and instantly have it all back, there's hesitation to take the big hits, there's a little cloudiness in the brain as much as nobody wants to admit it. when he has an offseason to relax and a training camp to get it all back, i really think he'll be better, although i'm not sure he'll ever be where he was.

Everybody here is ingrained with a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude and shiny new toy syndrome. McDonagh had a very good October-January while Staal missed time and isn't playing up to his usual level. That means a majority of people here are going to go into "McD is better than Staal and if you say otherwise you're crazy" mode.

Drewbackatu* 03-27-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe (Post 46772191)
it pains me to see how we regard Staal post concussion. Was hoping he would be a top shut down guy with some offense slowly starting to pick up. I hope the off season does him well and he comes back next season how he looked last year.

I'm sure he'll be much better next year after going thru a training camp.
In so far as McDonagh and Del Zotto are concerned, they are both younger with more upside than Staal has and that's probably the only reason I would refrain from moving either one of them going forward.

The big variable for me will be how McIIrath turns out for us in a few years because he brings things to the table that none of our present defensemen posess.

Cynical TyranT 03-27-2012 04:23 PM

So NO ONE has a timetable that McI may be on? 1 year? 2? 3? I mean I know its not gospel but at least something to expect...

The Amity Affliction 03-27-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT (Post 46814363)
So NO ONE has a timetable that McI may be on? 1 year? 2? 3? I mean I know its not gospel but at least something to expect...

I'd say 2, 3 at the worst. He looks solid in juniors, and I thought he looked ok at Traverse City. He'll be in Hartford at the start of next season I believe. Not much more he can prove in juniors.

Srs Business 03-27-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbackatu (Post 46805417)
I'm sure he'll be much better next year after going thru a training camp.
In so far as McDonagh and Del Zotto are concerned, they are both younger with more upside than Staal has and that's probably the only reason I would refrain from moving either one of them going forward.

The big variable for me will be how McIIrath turns out for us in a few years because he brings things to the table that none of our present defensemen posess.

I keep feeling like McIlrath gets traded within the next couple of years. Next year if Staal comes out at 100 percent and McDonagh and MDZ have only improved, we're in for a treat when you think about Girardi and Erixon. Can't remember the last time our defense was this deep and talented. Now if we can only get through the summer without Sather destroying it for players we don't need...remains to be seen

Rangers1135 03-27-2012 08:02 PM

Isn't Staal younger than Girardi by 2 years?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.